Renewable vs Not-Renewable

This post is a continuing research to understang what's renewable and what's not renewable in the Don't Starve universe.

Infinite:

• Grass: infinitely renewable resource, unless you pick up the Tuft with the showel and feed it to the Science Machine.
  • Saplings: same as the Grass.
  • Reed: same as Grass and Saplings.
  • Berries: these have a different behaviour, since many players use them for farming. A single bush can be harvested 5 times before going depleted, then you have to fertilize it. Feeding the bush to the Science machine completely destroys it with no possibility of going back.
  • Manure: it's infinite, as long as beefalos and pigmen are available.
  • Pigmen: as of this version if killed they respawn everyday from their houses.
  • Wood: for every tree cut one or two pine cone will be available to replant other trees. They don't respawn on their own. If all the trees are destroyed and no pine cone left, wood will be impossible to harvest.
  • Gold: gold is infinite since you can feed meat to the king of pigs and get gold nuggets from him. Still unclear whether the nugget is a repayment or the action of nature.
  • Carrots: they won't respawn in the ground, but they are easily made infinite by building farms and planting seeds.
  • Flowers: by catching and releasing a butterfly it's possible to create a flower, making them infinite since the materials to make a bug net are infinite as well.
  • Spiders: every nest has a fixed amount of spiders. If cleared of spiders after a few days it will respawn spiders again. Every nest should drop at least one spider egg, making possible to create another nest.
  • Rabbits: as long as there are rabbit holes in the ground (which can be destroyed by spades) rabbits are infinite;
  • Frogs: will respawn out of Ponds every 8-12 in-game hours. They hide in the Ponds during Dusk and Night, however, so you can't see or kill any unless it's Daytime.
  • Fish: can be caught out of the same Pond over and over using a Fishing Rod; however, each subsequent cast takes longer and longer to hook a fish. If you fish the same Pond more than 5-6 times in a row, it can take 4-6 in-game hours for another bite. On the plus side, Ponds seem to restock themselves quickly as long as you're not non-stop fishing out of one.
  • Gobblers: they are randomly generated everyting the player harvest berry bushes.
  • Hounds (fire and not): they are randomly generated to attack the player, so they should be infinite.
  • Treeguard: everytime the player cut a tree there is a slight chance that one of this monsters will be generated. As long as there are trees and the player cuts them they are infinite.
  • Bees: they respawn from bee hives every day, but only six at a time.
  • Tallbird egg: it's infinite as it respawns on the nest. It's uknownw whether it will continue to respawn even if the tallbird is dead.
  • Pine cone: infinite as long as there are trees to be cut.

Finite

• Rocks: they are found in big boulders and those boulders don't respawn.
  • Flint: it's found either on the ground or in big boulder and they never respawn.
  • Beefalos: as of now they seem to not respawn.
  • Mandrakes: only a fixed number is placed in the map and they never respawn. They are very rare.
  • Tallbird: they seem to not respawn.
  • Beehives: if destroyed they do not respawn. The only way to make more bees would be to collect alive bees and make a bee box.
  • Rabbits hole: if dug up they don't respawn.
  • Pigs house: they don't respawn if destroyed. They can be built by the player, but since they require cut rock, which is a finite resource, they can't be built infinite times.
  • Boulders: they don't respawn. (Not one hundred percent sure, though.)

We still need a lot of entries. We need to research on:

Graves.

Swamp monster.

Red birds.

Crows.

Fireflies.

Butterflies.

Boulders.

And probably other stuff I forgot.

Once again:

FOR SCIENCE!:o

Edited by Eliijahh
refreshing the list

For Science! My observations to help add to your list:

• Beefalos: still unclear if they reproduce and at what rate.

The general consensus is that Beefalo never respawn. Neither do Tallbirds. Kill them for Meat at your own peril.

• Pigmen: generated indefinitely from their village.

Currently true. However, as of the next update in early December, each Pig House will only be able to "produce" a handful of Pig Men (3 or 4, I think) before "running out". Therefore, Pig Men will Soon be a limited resource because the amount of Pig Men you have to kill to get enough Pig Skins to make a new House exceeds the number of Pig Men that will spawn out of said House... unless changes to the Pig House recipe are made.

• Gold: limited. There's only a chance to get gold from mining a boulder and, as I already said, boulders don't respawn, BUT if you find a Pig King you can feed him meat or other items to get gold nuggets in return

Technically unlimited. You can use Silk (unlimited resource; see Spiders below) to make Bird Traps; each Bird Trap can catch 10 Birds for 10 Morsels; each Morsel is 1 more Gold Nugget from the Pig King. Placing said Bird Traps directly under the Pig King's butt, along with a chest nearby to store the Gold, makes for an easy, convenient "Gold Nugget Farm".

• Flowers & carrots: more research is needed. When you pick them you cannot replant them, but it looks like they can sponaneously appear in random spots of the map

While Carrots do not reappear stuck in the ground (that only happens during World Gen), they are by far the most common crop grown from Seeds in any of the three kinds of Farm Plot. Since Seeds are an infinite resource (random drop from started birds that appear on-screen regularly), this makes Carrots effectively infinite as well.

Flowers can be "spawned" by catching a Butterfly in a Bug Net and then releasing it. Upon release, it will generate a Flower. Useful for optimizing how quickly your Bee Boxes fill with Honey - surround them with Flowers and your Bees won't have to travel as much. This also makes Flowers effectively infinite since the item needed to catch Butterflies - the Bug Net - is made from 3 infinite resources: Grass (for Rope), Twigs, and Silk (again, see Spider entry).

• Spiders: putting them in the resources because of the Silk. The nests generate new spiders when you kill them, up to their current limit (it should be 6 for the small nest, 9 for the medium and 12 for the big). Spider nests themselves can be "planted" with spider eggs, that are obtained when destroying a big nest (and maybe also from a medium nest)

Any Nest size above "Small" will yield Spider Eggs. Not sure if any size other than a Large 3-tier Nest has a 100% chance to drop Eggs, however. Like Trees, Spider Nests will grow from Small to Medium (2-tier) to Large (3-tier) if you leave them alone for a few days. Spiders will spawn in waves of 4 (1 wave in a Small Nest, 2 in a Medium, 3 in a Large). Even if you clear out a Nest, as long as you don't destroy it, Spiders will "grow back" and will emerge from the nest after a day or two.

• Rabbits: my guess here is that they're regenerated as long as their holes are intact (you can dig up a rabbit hole to force them out)

As far as I can tell, this is true. Leaving Rabbit Holes intact means Rabbits will occasionally respawn from them, allowing you to re-trap or use the "cut them off from their hole" hunting method on the same Rabbit Hole(s) over and over.

• Frogs: still unclear how they're generated

Frogs will respawn out of Ponds every 8-12 in-game hours. They hide in the Ponds during Dusk and Night, however, so you can't see or kill any unless it's Daytime. It's tricky, but you can kill 2 Frogs per Day per Pond if you time it correctly.

• Fish: may be an infinite resource, but more research is needed

Fish can be caught out of the same Pond over and over using a Fishing Rod; however, each subsequent cast takes longer and longer to hook a fish. If you fish the same Pond more than 5-6 times in a row, it can take 4-6 in-game hours for another bite. On the plus side, Ponds seem to restock themselves quickly as long as you're not non-stop fishing out of one.

Whew! That post took longer to whip up than I thought it would. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

I was gonna give u some minor pointers, but Marak covered it mostly (u stealin mah thunder bro :p)

There is one thing i can add tho:

Bees: Each wild beehive spawns 6 bees when attacked. When running away, the bees chase only for a short while after which they give up, staying outside of their hive, which can be attacked at this point without retaliation from the bees. Each wild beehive has a 100% chance to spawn 1 honeycomb, which can be used to make ur own beehives, and 3 honey. Ur own hives can be harvested for honey indefinately. Putting flowers nearby seems to increase the rate at which honey gets produced. Private beehives spawn a potentially infinite number of bees, but only 6 at a time. It seems to take more than 1 night for them to respawn, but at some point there will be 6 new bees after u killed/captured the previous 6.

Is that true the pigs wont respawn on their houses anymore after 3 or 4 pigs? Or he meant that a pig will respawn only after 3 or 4 days?

Both actually, in a future update pig house will stop spawning pigs after they spawn three. And pigs should spawn every three days but, there's a bug right now where they spawn everyday.

Both actually, in a future update pig house will stop spawning pigs after they spawn three. And pigs should spawn every three days but, there's a bug right now where they spawn everyday.

Oh man, that means one day we will run out of pig skins, or is it only the houses you make?

Thank you very much to everyone that contributed to the research.

We still need other stuff to get researched, as I refreshed the first post of the thread.

Beefalo respawn every ~30 days.

We need confirmation for that. To my game they never respawned, but it would be nice to know 100%.

Oh man, that means one day we will run out of pig skins, or is it only the houses you make?

Hmm... I personally think either we will run out of pigs. Or they will take pig skins out of football helmets and pig houses. Though thinking about it now, i doubt that because we would then have no use for pig skins. I speculate pig skins will possibly be a bit easier to get in the future.

You will run out of pig skins but, you can just make more houses. New houses, new set of three pigs.

Yeah but the thing is that eventually you will run out of rocks to make pig houses, so eventually pigs will die off if killed and no other renewable way is found to gather rocks.

In any case, when we finish this list, shouldn't we put it on the wiki or somewhere for future reference? I guess knowing what's renewable and what's not is really important so that players can manage their resources better.

You will run out of pig skins but, you can just make more houses. New houses, new set of three pigs.

Three pigs are not going to drop the four Pig Skins you need to make another House. And that's before you consider the finite-mount-of-cut-stone-you-can-get problem. Post-Krampus, Pig "farming" will be a (generally) terrible idea, and Meat will become very rare.

Keep in mind, both of these are great things and will keep the game from being quite as easy once you get "settled in". And that's not even taking Krampus' hijinks into account.

Hey would you mind putting this on the wiki as well ? would be great ^^

http://dontstarvewiki.net/index.php/Main_Page

Yeah, as Soon as I will have a little bit of free time (university exams) I will do it myself. We still need research on a couple of items/monsters though. The list of unresearched stuff is found in the first post of the thread. I will try to refresh it everytime someone finds something out.