You have a lot of tags. I bet you've got more than $20 in your pocket.

Can't speak for the developers (obviously) but I suspect they'll see how the fanbase reacts to how they've made the first DLC before they get to work on more. Seems like the smart thing to do, otherwise they could end up putting a lot of work into a product that they'll find out won't be well received 3/4ths of the way into production.

I still like Thrift Shop. Miraculously, it hasn't worn out its welcome with me yet.

Can't speak for the developers (obviously) but I suspect they'll see how the fanbase reacts to how they've made the first DLC before they get to work on more. Seems like the smart thing to do, otherwise they could end up putting a lot of work into a product that they'll find out won't be well received 3/4ths of the way into production.

I still like Thrift Shop. Miraculously, it hasn't worn out its welcome with me yet.

I'm just wondering because I'd hate to have to repeatedly reset worlds after a DLC comes out in order to have the new features. In fact, I'm holding off on Don't Starve until this one comes out...which is a bit of a pain.

I'm just wondering because I'd hate to have to repeatedly reset worlds after a DLC comes out in order to have the new features. In fact, I'm holding off on Don't Starve until this one comes out...which is a bit of a pain.

I'm getting one save primed up to go through the Teleportato with all the essential late-game stuff, I wouldn't want to find out Webber is meant to be all about the late-game and have to start from the beginning.

I'm getting one save primed up to go through the Teleportato with all the essential late-game stuff, I wouldn't want to find out Webber is meant to be all about the late-game and have to start from the beginning.

Same here, just gathered up my stuff and built the Teleportato. The Eyebone turns to ashes, though, right?

Then shalt thou create DLC to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt create, and the number of the creating shall be three. Four shalt thou not create, neither create thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third DLC pack, be reached, then download thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of DLC towards thy user, who, being awesome in my sight, shall enjoy it.

- The Book of Content, chapter Two, verses Nine through Twenty-One.

Then shalt thou create DLC to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt create, and the number of the creating shall be three. Four shalt thou not create, neither create thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third DLC pack, be reached, then download thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of DLC towards thy user, who, being awesome in my sight, shall enjoy it.

- The Book of Content, chapter Two, verses Nine through Twenty-One.

1388871461540.gif

...and in the third DLC, death will await you with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

I'm going to speak for the devs (because I"m just that good) and say that there will be as many DLCs is as monetarily worth it....with a dash of dev interest.

Yes, obviously. We're just wondering how many there will be.

(I'm half-hoping that this will be the only DLC and that it will be expanded upon in the future).

Yes, obviously. We're just wondering how many there will be.

(I'm half-hoping that this will be the only DLC and that it will be expanded upon in the future).

lol how they could ever answer that at this point though? They might as well say "at least 1"

lol how they could ever answer that at this point though? They might as well say "at least 1"

Well, if they have other projects, they may only intend for 1 DLC.

I doubt they'll tell us right now, either way.

Announcing DLC 6 months ahead of time would just result in community impatience and demands for a release date. Announcing it 2-4 weeks before release stimulates renewed interest within the community, and probably stimulates sales.

Equally, announcing now that there will be no more DLC triggers a troll backlash of "wat theres no moar? omfg im not buying this one then kthxbai".

I don't think either approach serves them well. Possibly when the last DLC - whichever that may be - is out they'll announce 3-6 months after its release that it was the final update and add at least a mini DLC / free upgrade sweetener, since the game is so community oriented and I'm sure they have no desire to diminish their fanbase.

I doubt they'll tell us right now, either way.

Announcing DLC 6 months ahead of time would just result in community impatience and demands for a release date. Announcing it 2-4 weeks before release stimulates renewed interest within the community, and probably stimulates sales.

Equally, announcing now that there will be no more DLC triggers a troll backlash of "wat theres no moar? omfg im not buying this one then kthxbai".

I don't think either approach serves them well. Possibly when the last DLC - whichever that may be - is out they'll announce 3-6 months after its release that it was the final update and add at least a mini DLC / free upgrade sweetener, since the game is so community oriented and I'm sure they have no desire to diminish their fanbase.

The main problem is sacrificing a 1000 day world in order to accommodate for a new DLC. That's why I would like to know in advance before investing too much in the world.

I think that they will gave a DLC every year or so, and updates every few months. They will prob pull a minecraft and make tons of updates with new chars,mobs, tweaks etc. and sota keep the game new and fresh to maintain a fanbase. Ending updates and DLCs altogether would greatly diminish profits. 

I think that they will gave a DLC every year or so, and updates every few months. They will prob pull a minecraft and make tons of updates with new chars,mobs, tweaks etc. and sota keep the game new and fresh to maintain a fanbase. Ending updates and DLCs altogether would greatly diminish profits.

They've been supporting the game very actively, so I agree it seems clear that - for the immediate future at least (6 - 12 months) - there will continue to be very active support for the game. Whether that entails new content or simply bugfixes is unclear.

I think suggesting there'll be "a DLC every year or so" is short sighted. Klei is an independent games developer with a total of 35 employees, and a significant portion of those are undoubtedly currently working on Invisible, Inc. Additionally, aside from Shank II they have a history of regularly developing new IP.

Given the commercial success of the Don't Starve, if Reign of Giants has solid sales I'm guessing there will be at least one more DLC after it and probably two. But those will likely arrive in the next 9-12 months instead of the next several years. At that time I surmise they'll either concentrate fully on development of a sequel - something they may even be at the design stage of right now - or else shift focus to Invisible, Inc and other projects. Though of course that depends on the commercial success of Inv. Inc.

Here's hoping they do something special with the future DLC and that Reign of Giants hands significantly more creativity to the players to bolster the already excellent gameplay. I also fervently hope they do develop a sequel, because this game is an absolute blast to play :-)

As Klei has said after the year of free DS updates (or six months if you only count post gold or non-beta releases) they got burnt out and the team needed a break for new things. 

Historically speaking, it looks like normally if a DLC is done, only one big one is done most often. That written, DS is anything but typical even for Klei games.

Looking at things (like Chester Kickstarter massively funding in one day for example,) the DLC success if overwhelming could "bring the band back together" again for another DLC or even several more, but there are no guarantees besides the one DLC at the present moment.

But I'll gladly eat crow black bird if Klei says otherwise here.  

Wait, Reign of Giants will be only the first DLC? Well then I'm just in time :razz: And true, the game is quite new.

What is being written is they only are releasing ONE DLC, but due to the overwhelming success of DS and anything related to it (see the Kickstarter thing for example) it is POSSIBLE (not officially said by Klei) that if the DLC does VERY well, more COULD be done. 

But no guarantees. 

Much like before the DLC was announced, the team is strictly focused in one direction (Currently being the DLC). Once the DLC is completed, it will be on to whatever the next thing is. If at some point it is decided firmly that that we would be doing another DLC, it would be announced. 

Really as a general rule with us, if it's something we are committed to doing, it will be announced and usually pretty soon after it is set in stone. If we have not announced something, and we haven't said why, it's because we aren't 100% sure it's going to happen. 

Archived