Share Your Strategies!

Let's share our strategies. Here are my sequenced strategies.

Day 1

Gather as much food as you can, get enough lumber and grass necessary for a fire, ONLY enough necessary. This food should last you a long time if you savor it.

Day 2

Gather a lot of lumber and a lot of grass. Obviously gather food as you see it. Build a trap, trap near bunny holes. Build a pickaxe, and begin gathering rocks for a fire pit.

Day 3

Plant pinecones near your base, in case of an emergency you will have tons of trees to chop down.

Miscellaneous Strategies

Build your base ALONG a road. This can save you before you get a science machine.

Only eat carrots if absolutely necessary. These are better for morsels than eating.

NEVER explore at night.

Don't attack beehives without beekeeper mask.

I know my strategies are very basic, buuuuut. Share yours!

The thing is, day 1-10 are pretty much the same for everyone, gathering some random carrots and berries while getting tools and some logs etc. After that it's just a matter of playing it safe, don't go into the swamp untill you have a meat effigy/amulet, try to get a base near some beefalo's, after you have a decent food supply try starting on honey farms (they're amazing for health regeneration and stack in 40!). If you pretty much did all of that you will be at day 30 or so and you'll probly be set for life. (as long as you keep a few meat effigys/amulets aside!)

My early on strategy just consists of exploring while simultaneously gathering and stocking up on resources, at night time I don't make a camp but just make torches and keep going, only make fires to cook stuff. I usually explore along the edges of the map by the ocean. Just keep doing this until I find where I want to set up my base, ideal spots are by pig villages and beefalo herds. You want to be in the middle of everything, not too far from any kind of resource like rock biomes with rocks and tallbirds, beefalo in savanna, pig village/pig king, spider nests, even swamp for the reeds and tentacles.

Carrots for morsels? Don't worry there is a much better way of "harvesting" rabbits, If you draw a mental line between a rabbit and its hole in the morning and attack while standing on this line you can easily grind 15 morsels a day. :)

Yes, but I meant if you go exploring, sorry, should've been more specific ^^

Plant berry bushes in small groups (I do groups of ten) around the edge of the island, up against the coast. This way, it minimizes loss from fire or gobblers. When a gobbler appears, immediately chase towards the coast to corner it so it can be killed. If you do it right, the gobblers cannot get a single berry.

Separating the planted resources into groups will also work well for grass, twigs and trees to mitigate against fire. For already existing trees, I cut down lines of trees to separate the forest into distinct groups.

I typically rush explore Day 1 collecting occasional grass and twigs and looking for quick flint. If I find boulders early I make a pickaxe first since you're essentially guaranteed more flint for an axe etc. and gets you stone. Build a shovel and start hoarding! Otherwise there really isn't much early game strategy other than collect and build a base

Since others here have already covered the basics of Don't Starve survival, here's some strategies I can give to newbies regarding the swamps and their lovely tentacle residents:

The swamp isn't quite as terrifying as it might initially seem. Yes, the tentacles hit like trucks, but you can see them bulging out of the ground shortly before they strike. If you keep moving and make sure that you're never too close to those tentacles, you can fairly easily move through a swamp without much of an issue.

Also, tentacles do not move from their spawn point and they (currently) do not respawn. If you have found a safe spot in a swamp, it will stay safe, save for any pesky frogs or a hound attack. As long as you stay somewhat cautious, you can camp out overnight in a swamp if you need to.

I do not advise going into a swamp at dusk, though. Unless you mess with your monitor's brightness settings, it becomes very difficult to see the tentacles emerging from the ground until its too late. The foolish decision to explore the swamp at dusk has claimed my life more than once.

For killing the tentacles, the easiest method is to send friendly pigs after it, but fighting it one-on-one is not difficult once you get the timing down. They strike fast and often, but there is enough time between attacks for you to run in, hit once, then run back out of the tentacle's range. After you get used to the timing of their swings, it's fairly easy to kill one without ever being hit, but wearing armor is definitely recommended as they can inflict a high amount of damage.

My strategy varies from what i wanna do, and where I want my campside to be. Ive tried camping near the pig king, didnt like it so much as i would have thought.

Ive also set up camp in the middle of the swamp in some more solid ground surrounded by swampland full of spiders and tentacles. Altho it was easy to get silk and weapons that way, all my food was gonna have to be produced without manure (there was no source nearby), so i eventually build tons of pighouses. I dislike giving berries to pigs for manure, feels like a huge waste. The only thing thats sustainable this way used to be berry bushes, until the farmchange in the nov30 hotfix. Back then, no.. Cant produce 1 carrot and give it to a pig for manure to produce another veggie..

As far as my favourite spot so far goes: near beefalo herds. There is usually a grassland in the center of that hayland beefalo live it, and there is always tons of rabbits. I used to make a fence around my grassland with trees, but thats now impossible. Please give us fences Soon, i HATE my beefalo slowly spreading out even into other islands.... I want my manure to be close to gather when i need to, so ill try and block them into a smaller area. Also, im a perfectionist when it comes to these things. For some reason i just cannot sit there and see all beefalo trapped behind a treewall except 1!!!! That ONE BEEFALO, will drive me nuts until i have pushed him thru the tiny little gap that i left to enter my walled around estate. B4 the treewall nerf i actually spend 3 days pushing a beefalo from one island to the next over a bridge coz SOMEHOW he wandered there when i was chopping wood nearby.

Later on i imposed the hit him and make him chase me technique. The way to get him to stop chasing is to lead him into the walled around area and then run out hoping he runs into the trees trying to get to me in a straight line. Worked untill nov30 hotfix treewall nerf. Thankfully in my current save, i still have a treewall blocking my island from the next one cept for a miniscule gap, preventing beefalo to run away ^_^. YEEY.

1)Make a spear

2)Kill a village of piggies

-food settled for a few days.Eat berries found around while exploring.

3)Make a football hat

4)Make Bee box for HP regen.

5)Build Meat effigy

Note: until step 5 I travel alot eating berries and carrots and I move at night as well. Bunnies are free kills at night. Morsels stack up like crazy at night.

Continuous: Gather food.

Step one: Get materials for, and make, a pick.

Step two: Mine all the gold.

Step three: Chop enough wood for, and make, about 100 chests.

Step four: Dig up, kill, or harvest everything on the island and organize it all in the chests.

Step five: Long, philosophical discussions with Abigail about what the next patch will be and when they will give me a bigger island to decimate.

Ever tried pedals? The pigs will poop for that aswell :D

Oh yeah i heard ppl say that altho i never actually fed a pig flowers, but the thing is, flowers didnt use to regrow and even now its tedious work catching butterflies and planting flowers with them. So its not exactly sustainable manure income to feed them flowers. Also this was my main issue in the swamps, there arent many flowers in there either lol.

day 1- find beefalo

day 2- pet the beefalo

day 3- cuddle with beefalo

day 4- try to ride a beefalo

day 5- running away from beefalo cuz it was mad that i tried to ride it

day 6- rinsed and repeat

=3

*facepalm*This is what happens when you get high for watching stupid TV shows kids.

Day 1 : Gather resources to make a pickaxe and some berries, go mine stone, get more flint, Use that to make axe and get lumber.

Day 2 : Repeat what you did in day 1 till you get a camp fire

Day 3 : Gather stuff to get turbo farms, Keep killing bunnies for steady food

Day 4 : Build turbo farms

Day 5 : Build Crock pot

Day 6 : You are basically done.