Tall Birds!

Is it just me, or have the Tall Birds actually became more aggressive. Every time I run across one it almost seems like they hunt me out.

Before the patch they just seemed more docile and I could easily steal eggs, but now I dare not even approach them.

Is it just me, or do they not stop chasing you till either they or you die...? Thank god for Abigail!

The pan flute is also nerfed it puts them to sleep for like 2 secs maybe. I let them peck at me and miss and then play the flute and run like hell! lol I am stocking up on sleep darts and flutes next time I make an egg run.

They seem much more territorial. I had to keep running away from one when I was trying to mine some rocks near its nest.

From the stories I've heard, I don't think I'll be bothering any of my tallbirds. They can have their eggs, it's not worth the risk.

Aye, I do like that the Tall Birds are a more territorial, but I think they are currently TOO territorial with this latest update. I just had two of them chase me around the environment for almost an entire in-game day. That is pretty lame.

I do like their new attack that they have, though.

I spitted 3 darts to the damn bird and it still chased me.

Did anyone put to sleep a tallbird? (or anything else?)

I'm smelling bug.

Well if my video will finish rendering I'll post it up, sleeping darts didn't effect a spider or a tallbird in the video, I also shot a pig while he was fighting to no avail but I don't know if it was the fight or that darts don't effect them... Maybe once aggro'd a creature can't be knocked out? Not sure.

To be honest, i'm not finding any of the current monsters challenging, except Optimus tree. It takes like three hits with a spear to kill a tall-bird and they get stunned so i only get hit once. Dog raids are easy so far because they only come one at a time, and were-pigs are a joke. All you have to do is put on a football helmet and spam the stab button.

In response to Hoshasei:

A lot of people don't want to kill the Tall-birds though, because if you kill one after you take its egg, that nest will be extinct, preventing you from getting eggs in the future. Maps can also spawn with as few as 1 Tall-bird (I's happened to me), so having it chase you till death after taking its egg pretty much just makes the eggs a limited resource, while every other food in the game is limitless.

My strategy still seems to work: rob the nest at dusk, b4 dark. The bird will be sleeping on top of the egg, but u can either push him off it or turn the camera till u can target the nest instead of the bird. Then after u got the egg, run away and make a fire b4 the darkness hits. Ive never been chased this way, not in this patch either.

I've managed to get away from one by accident when a bunny got between me and the tallbird. The tallbird shifted it's aggression to the bunny, killed it, then ran back to its nest. I haven't retested it yet since those birds scare a crap out of me.

I'm pretty frustrated... it just happened the second time in a row, that this bird killed me (on different maps ._.). I would avoid them but right after i saw the nest it was already chasing me.. and it wouldn't let go! Is that really normal? If you are unlucky and you meet him in the early game, there is not much you can do. I tried the hit and run strategy but two wrong clicks and he killed me. If he just wants to defend his territory.. his territory is pretty... big.. like.. the whole map? D:

Edited by TaihenDechu

To be honest I haven't encountered much of a problem with the Tallbirds, but that may be because I mostly tend to avoid them altogether. I've explored my entire world, and I have two small quarry islands each with 2 Tallbird nests. When I first encountered them and they because aggressive towards me, I simply thought they were monsters and killed them... Unknowing that some consider their eggs to be a valuable food source. Of course I collected the eggs from their nests, but still have them sitting in a chest in one of my camps somewhere. I've never had to use the eggs in any dire situation for food, so it seems to me like simply killing the birds if you are scared of them or don't want to deal with them anymore during your exploration is perfectly reasonable... Unlike beefalo where they are useful for food, fur AND the now-very-valuable manure, they are really only good for eggs, and the most recent patch has made them fill less hunger now anyway, if I recall correctly? You can survive perfectly well without any Tallbirds on the map, and you can survive equally as well avoiding them altogether. As for the early game, if you see a quarry area, maybe choose to tactically avoid it until you have a spear and a log suit?