Has any one thought about this?

Say in multiple worlds, you find that there are meteor fields meshed with biomes and in places that are rather inconvenient (with such examples of crummy placement being, near moonstone, oasis desert on top of the only herd of volt goats, or near a raid boss). I have had this happen so many times, im a bit sick of it but im not sure what I as a player can do in these situations.

Does the idea of a semi-late game meteor prevention system sound too unreasonable? like a magical item or structure that would ward off meteors as long as its up or covering a certain area? 

If there is a way to prevent additional meteor biomes in the settings of the world that I am not aware of (which would largely fix my issue seeing as how its always the additional biome separate from mosaic that seems to "jank" things up) that would be good information as well, but Ideally I would hope for a gameplay related way to approach this that isn't too cheap or too outrageously expensive, that by some point its as if it doesn't matter. 

Suggestions or inputs of any kind welcome and encouraged.  

• Like 3

Meteors will stop falling if you just let enough rocks accumulate within the biome.

(this is also how some players were apparently locking themselves out of getting the celestial orb)

Alternatively you can toggle them off in settings.

But they’re purpose is to supply the player (or players) with important resources like Flint, Stone & of course Nitre.

Nitre is highly important if you actually play the game during the summer season (a lot of people toggle off summer & wildfires)

My point is that to ask for a device that prevents the meteors means there has to still be a way for players other than yourself, to obtain the resources the meteors provide.

Plus it’s always hilarious to be struck by random meteorite and killed when your trying to do other stuff on low health.

• Shopcat 1

I think at the very least above average trees should prevent meteorites. I definitely feel your pain though, meteors to me feel like a dated mechanic from a time where Klei was still trying to figure out how to make rocks more renewable to fit the lack of world hopping in DST. I feel as though killing celestial champion could just disable meteor showers since by that point you can use champion as a source of moonrocks, and the orb already exists in the world.

I find it pretty unreasonable that we have a mechanic that's essentially wildfires on steroids. We just kind of have to accept that there's gonna be an entire portion of the map that cannot be built on at all, no matter what we do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Masked Koopa said:

I think at the very least above average trees should prevent meteorites. I definitely feel your pain though, meteors to me feel like a dated mechanic from a time where Klei was still trying to figure out how to make rocks more renewable to fit the lack of world hopping in DST. I feel as though killing celestial champion could just disable meteor showers since by that point you can use champion as a source of moonrocks, and the orb already exists in the world.

I find it pretty unreasonable that we have a mechanic that's essentially wildfires on steroids. We just kind of have to accept that there's gonna be an entire portion of the map that cannot be built on at all, no matter what we do.

I mean… Isn’t this the way DS has always been though? You could not build anything on the Hamlet jungle turf flooring either.. I think it’s just exclusively DST that players are trying to turn the entire game world into their personalized mega-base.

• Wavey 1

Not exactly related but just today I was thinking about a lunar aligned hostile mob that would be attacking using mini meteors and lob itself like one to navigate. I want more lunar mobs anyway because there isn’t really much of them unlike shadows.

I could see something useful resulting from the loot or direct use of this creature in meteor field barriers or even summoning them, as staves, unused Moonlens structures or whatever... Using meteors ourselves could be funny in combat or farming resources or destroy stuff.

I find the biomes with meteors in them very bare, which I assume is intentional and I always modded them away from anywhere important. But I could tolerate them if it gets expanded post rift perhaps ?

• Sanity 1

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean… Isn’t this the way DS has always been though? You could not build anything on the Hamlet jungle turf flooring either.. I think it’s just exclusively DST that players are trying to turn the entire game world into their personalized mega-base.

DST encourages such behaviour more because it is a different game than DS, both practically and fundamentally. It's the entire reason we have mechanics like dreadstone pillars, dock kits, above average trees, ice crystaleyezer, etc. Things that have no use in the short term but in the long term make the uninhabitable habitable.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s not exactly a new thing, people have been building bases in DS/T that cover multiple biomes since 2014. The flooring of the jungles in hamlet is quite literally the only example of something you 100% cannot in any way change that is a landmass in DS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Meteors will stop falling if you just let enough rocks accumulate within the biome.

You don't understand how the game you play works, this is the eleventeenth example - stop talking so confidently on things you, either, don't understand or misunderstand.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 2

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hamlet was released in 2018, half a decade after Don't Starve itself, so doesn't really make a good case for Don't Starve having "always been" this way. Plus, not only is Hamlet one of the first instances of Klei actively encouraging the player to megabase and build things for purely decorative reasons, but it also very intentionally divides itself between "wild, untameable land" and "fully terraformable wilderness to make into a city". The Deep Rainforest isn't a good example for what you're trying to argue here at all.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your inputs (legitimate or joking included) I appreciate having some outside perspectives

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Alternatively you can toggle them off in settings.

But they’re purpose is to supply the player (or players) with important resources like Flint, Stone & of course Nitre.

Nitre is highly important if you actually play the game during the summer season (a lot of people toggle off summer & wildfires)

My point is that to ask for a device that prevents the meteors means there has to still be a way for players other than yourself, to obtain the resources the meteors provide.

Yes, I am aware that this can be deactivated with world settings, however I believe it would be a lot better if the player could have a more organic form of agency over this sort of thing rather then tweaking world settings.

In the defense of the "giving resources to players" bit, yes early on this makes sense, although this feels like its more of a pub thing, it does help give more players more access to these resources. However, I am not talking about a solution that could be done day one, I am talking about a possible shadow or more likely lunar aligned mid-late game solution that more often then not, would have little to no impact on a new player.

So, I do respect your concern for players who rely on the meteor fields (admittedly I find odd since there are so MANY different ways to acquire gold, rocks, flint, and nitre) this isn't really the focus here, my desire is to remove the disruptive nature of the meteors (not even the ones in the mosaic, but the ones that spawn seemingly randomly on secondary meteor fields) as they have added nothing of substance when they are placed near bosses or other important things.

I've had the idea before of the meteor fields turning into a completely different biome (possibly Alter related due to the meteors) later into the game, it would add a cool new place AND finally make meteor fields useful.

Shame it's a barren place you only visit to get that one orb and go for Klaus if he is not with the pigs.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2024 at 3:10 AM, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Nah man something like that would be too convenient and trivialize the feelings and values that this franchise represents. Real starvers would embrace the meteors and ask for a range increase that's the only way.

Facts, brother. Has anyone made a mod yet where the whole world is a meteor field and the frequency is daily? Cannot wait. 

Edited by Gi-Go

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

Facts, brother. Has anyone made a mod yet where the whole world is a meteor field and the frequency is daily? Cannot wait. 

Shipwrecked heat season, but make it bad 

On 4/19/2024 at 9:24 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I think it’s just exclusively DST that players are trying to turn the entire game world into their personalized mega-base.

Actually I know I responded to the other bit of this post a few days ago but this part has been irking me. I won't flood the page with them, but here in this spoiler is a variety of Don't Starve megabases that stretch across HUGE portions of the world. Some of these date back to early 2016, aka the time when the only exclusive content that DST had over Don't Starve WAS just meteors (and ewecus.)

To say that megabasing is exclusively a DST thing is, quite frankly, erasing a huge part of the history of Don't Starve and what made it into the series of games it is today. Even if these are the only video examples I could find, I'd like to make it clear that megabasing has been a thing basically FOREVER. I watched megabase streams back in 2015 that would end up spanning across the entire world even with what little decoration options they had back then. I've been attempting to build my own in worlds dating back to 2016, with most of them being in DS and only truly switching over to DST whenever RoT got going. This has been something people have done since the series had just started, not some recent trend that people are only doing in DST.

Edited by finn from human

1 minute ago, finn from human said:

Actually I know I responded to the other bit of this post a few days ago but this part has been irking me. I won't flood the page with them, but here in this spoiler is a variety of Don't Starve megabases that stretch across HUGE portions of the world. Some of these date back to early 2016, aka the time when the only exclusive content that DST had over Don't Starve WAS just meteors (and ewecus.)

Reveal hidden contents

To say that megabasing is a DST thing is, quite frankly, erasing a huge part of the history of Don't Starve and what made it into the game it is today. Even if these are the only video examples I could find, I'd like to make it clear that megabasing has been a thing basically FOREVER. I watched megabase streams back in 2015 that would end up spanning across the entire world even with what little decoration options they had back then. I've been attempting to build my own in worlds dating back to 2016, with most of them being in DS and only truly switching over to DST whenever RoT got going. This has been something people have done since the series had just started, not some recent trend that people are only doing in DST.

That isn’t remotely what I meant… DST chooses to allow players to do it more openly and more freely without very much consequence involved (at least till late game rift stuff starts happening..)

The shipwrecked & hamlet dlcs are pretty clear cut examples of that, there are entire biomes in the Shipwrecked & hamlet dlcs that either need protective gear to survive within (Poison Gas Biome) OR you can’t build any structure on at all (Hamlet Jungle flooring)

So yeah actually, it IS DST that adapted the Megabase mindset.. and I personally blame skin $$ profits, and more importantly the lack of features such as the above mentioned ones, to prevent or at least severally hinder the ability to create a Megabase.

Whenever Klei tries to make a biome or area of the game uninhabitable, players come to these forums to suggest things like “let me redirect the Meteorfield biomes so meteors land someplace I decide I want them to.”

Im not going to sit here and argue Survival vs Megabase for seventeen pages, this post says all I want or need to say.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

The shipwrecked & hamlet dlcs are pretty clear cut examples of that, there are entire biomes in the Shipwrecked & hamlet dlcs that either need protective gear to survive within (Poison Gas Biome) OR you can’t build any structure on at all (Hamlet Jungle flooring)

what's there in SW except water?

11 minutes ago, grm9 said:

what's there in SW except water?

Flurp biome, Volcano Biome. Both of which CAN be based in.. but require protective gear or base defense.

The best example I can give with DST outside of late game rift stuff is the Desert Oasis in Summer, it gets overran by a sandstorm requiring desert goggles to see and move unhindered by, But… obviously that’s not as harsh as constantly losing health being in a toxic gas biome without a gas mask though is it? If Sandstorm speed up food spoilage by a lot and it unleashed small tornadoes? Maybe…

But as it stands right now, DST encourages big pretty bases over survival aspects.