Quality of Life or Overpowered?: Thermal stone with no durability

Thermal stone  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would the thermal stone without durability be extremely overpowered?

• Yes. It would be extremely overpowered.
    • No. It would alleviate an annoyance.

Overpowered. 

But thermal stones are still overrated and terrible compared to double stacking tier 3 insulation like beefalo hat and hibernation vest.

Edited by Gashzer
  • Like 2

I don't see the issue with repairing them, the materials for sewing kits are pretty easy to farm up at any stage of the game.

I don't think it would be "too op" to have durability removed, but it would definitely take away one of the minor tasks to track as we play.  Thermals are already pretty convenient, if there is no down side to them they really will take over lol.

• Like 5

i mean, removing the durability wouldn't make the item broken, but at the same time why would ypu do this?

klei already buffed thermal stone in dst by giving it a light radius and a longer duration (some people say it doesn't last longer, but from my gameplay experience i've found the dst thermal stone lasts way longer)

clothes are cool, but they suck due to this  item.

i use them because after a thousand hours in this game i want to try weird and unconventional strategies, but they are just not worth it.

klei has to give clothes pockets or interesting abilities to make them viable.

Edited by Sacco
  • Like 2

I like the idea of a late game upgrade to make it permanent (ie enlightened shard) 

I prefer the idea of them adding a backpack slot so players can better utilize chest clothing which are ridiculously underutilized 

• Like 5

"Quality of Life or Overpowered?"

QOL for me would be that Klei allows you to use the marked items with the backpack. Currently, Klei can remove them from the game and almost all players wouldn't even miss it.

Another thing that QOL for me would be to allow feeding the fish to restore their life. Now it would be enough to fish for Scorching Sunfish and Ice Bream. No one would ever need to use thermal stone in the game again. Of course, their food should be something that would have a certain difficulty in balancing the game.

Captura de tela 2024-04-13 120726.png

2 hours ago, Cruvimaster said:

Captura de tela 2024-04-13 120726.png

I use raincoat on pubs, I also use puffy vest on pubs. I don't know why cat cap isn't crossed out, but I suppose it looks nice. Form over function sometimes. 

My list would look different from yours. but for a lot of what's crossed out, except ofc for what I stated, I generally agree are a bit weak. ESPECIALLY bearger vest. That sucks. The rate of deterioration of that thing is too fast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chirsg said:

I use raincoat on pubs, I also use puffy vest on pubs. I don't know why cat cap isn't crossed out, but I suppose it looks nice. Form over function sometimes. 

My list would look different from yours. but for a lot of what's crossed out, except ofc for what I stated, I generally agree are a bit weak. ESPECIALLY bearger vest. That sucks. The rate of deterioration of that thing is too fast.

The point is that it doesn't make sense to sacrifice a backpack for mere convenience during the summer or winter. The thermal stone, alone, solves any problem with cold or heat.

So we have the problem of Klei putting out a bunch of items that have a good concept, but that no one uses.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sacco said:

some people say it doesn't last longer, but from my gameplay experience i've found the dst thermal stone lasts way longer

imo anecdotal evidence shouldn't be a foundational reason to distrust things, especially when confirmation bias is a natural prevalent behavior in a lot of people

infinite thermal stone durability itself is kinda pointless when thermal stones are already so easy to upkeep with tape/general temperature maintenance, and the only change i would make to them is their taxing role in the antlion fight

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Current thermal stone still in the game. Can upgrade it to the version without durability after rifts are started

By using an Enlightened Shard of course :)

17 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Current thermal stone still in the game. Can upgrade it to the version without durability after rifts are started

Holy molly! What a nice idea. 
I hope devs read your idea :D

Seemed fine as it was in DS, no idea why they added durability to it. I don't think absolutely everything needs durability. I mean, come on, it's a big rock. Did not enjoy the brief time I had it unmodded. As if I don't already have enough things chewing through my rock resources.

• Like 2

If I were to put it on a priority list of things that Klei could improve, the thermal stone would be one of the last.

I believe that very beginner players would have no difficulty managing a thermal stone. But for players who have been playing for more than 1 year of game play, this difficulty is very strange.

If we were talking about improving the duration of the protection effect against cold or heat, I would understand, but a simple use of the sewing kit is difficult to understand.

Edited by Cruvimaster

23 hours ago, lenship2 said:

the only change i would make to them is their taxing role in the antlion fight

I was thinking about this - they introduced tech in the CC fight that speeds things on after first clear in the moonstorms.  What if on repeat Antlion fight could be started by giving it any ice based dish like a melon pop, banana sickle, ice cream etc ?  First time would still be the thermal stone, but then its not so taxing on repeat.  (or why not just open it up to all of them all the time anyway)

• Sanity 1

Thermals however are usually kept in an area for their respective seasons. Furnace for winter and fridge for summer.
Ive seen many bases do that.  so that they can cycle through the stones.

IM more on the camp of combining thermals with insulation though.
Since thermals boost weak sources of heat and cooling.

during the winter unless you are using 4 scaled furnaces most thermal stones are only half as effective as they can be.
they heat up up to 50 degrees where they can potentially have 110 degrees of usage.
And it takes 100 seconds for most thermals to go from hot to lukewarm.

This is not the case for summer thermals since the fridge cools the thermals down to zero.  Means that thermals in summer usually have 80 degrees of protection.
Way better than they are in winter.

But winter has boosted fire with insulation.  So the player can sit by a fire for 5 seconds and get  potentially  300 seconds of temperature. And not loose any thermal stone durability.

durability fits more within the general theme of the game, so even with balance aside it makes more sense for it to work how it does currently. Another thing is that thermals are so overused that giving them an advantage like infinite durability is really silly.

Buffing underused items for the sake of qol can be seen as making the game easier as a whole, but buffing one of the most used items in the game is surely on a whole other level in comparison.

• Like 1