Would this be so bad?

Would it be so bad if they just increased the stack size for all chests? Just double, 80 instead of 40. Doesn't it make sense that a chest holds more than a pocket? 

This is stretching it a bit but, isn't the original stack size from single player? A single chest quickly fills up with the bounty of a multiplayer balanced world (resources and skills). 

This would apply to fridges and salt boxes too...

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 12

although I don't foresee it happening, I can't say I have an argument for or against it. If it where to happen, I'd still need chest for space and without, same thing happens.

Only way I fix my storage is with more wood, I tell you what though, finding lunar early is really nice for covering a boat in glass axes so I can just cut the logging down drastically. 

Edited by ZeRoboButler

2 hours ago, ZeRoboButler said:

finding lunar early is really nice for covering a boat in glass axes so I can just cut the logging down drastically. 

Having a long-term(ish) world, as a character without perks that can aid in woodchopping, showed me just how great glass axes actually are. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't want this simply because this is a compromising change that wouldn't fix the issue.

I assume that most people have 50+ pre-elongation chests in their bases not because they need 2 chests worth of grass but rather that they need a new chest for yet another new resource that Klei adds. Increasing stack sizes wouldn't fix the pre-late game storage.

• Like 2

I prefer scaled chest having more slots so we can store easily non stackeable items and we feel like there is a real advantage for using scaled chest over regular chests

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

13 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I wouldn't want this simply because this is a compromising change that wouldn't fix the issue.

I assume that most people have 50+ pre-elongation chests in their bases not because they need 2 chests worth of grass but rather that they need a new chest for yet another new resource that Klei adds. Increasing stack sizes wouldn't fix the pre-late game storage.

Most people have chests for different materials because the stack sizes are quite small so you need entire chests dedicated to a single type of item, sure it wouldn't "fix" it but I see absolutely no harm in just making storage options better.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Szczuku said:

wouldn't want this simply because this is a compromising change that wouldn't fix the issue.

It is funny how you always go back to game being uncompromising or compromising when this doesn't have anything to do with that.

Floor exists and if you have a good enough machine you can drop thousands stacks of items without any lag and don't need to build any chests.

15 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Why would anyone need to have 2 chests full of grass (720) before they get to rifts? If there is no change to item storage or recipe doesn't change to be before rifts what players will do is collect as little as possible or drop everything on the floor so that when they get to upgrade chests they don't need to hammer down 20+ normal chests but just build as few as possible and store everything in them.

Increasing stack size can improve early game storage and that's the point, this chest upgrade is listed under performance, so why does performance upgrade need to be after rifts?

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, arubaro said:

I prefer scaled chest having more slots so we can store easily non stackeable items and we feel like there is a real advantage for using scaled chest over regular chests

I second the notion for scaled chest being larger via more slots! (I would be fine with 3 more)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Well-met said:

pure buff for no reason. My favorite kind of QOL

Reasons you don't like are still reasons, yo.

14 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Make the chests indestructible and free to craft as well while we are at it and turn DST into a pure hamster simulator.

Doubling stack sizes is definitely on par with taking DST out behind the shed and shooting it. Building 50 chests to keep your stuff is fun and engaging and embodies the essence of the game.

Edited by Faintly Macabre
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Doubling stack sizes is definitely on par with taking DST out behind the shed and shooting it. Building 50 chests to keep your stuff is fun and engaging and embodies the essence of the game.

You do realize that going out, collecting resources and crafting is part of the survival experience, right? Heck, even the sandbox experience.

Why should Klei suddently just double the chests' capacity for no reason other than someone going "I want to fit 2 chests worth of grass stacks into a single chest b4 getting the upgrade!"

4 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

You do realize that going out, collecting resources and crafting is part of the survival experience, right? Heck, even the sandbox experience.

I forgot that things are fun no matter how many times you have to do them or how long it takes or how poorly they fulfill their purpose.

6 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Why should Klei suddently just double the chests' capacity for no reason other than someone going "I want to fit 2 chests worth of grass stacks into a single chest b4 getting the upgrade!"

They shouldn't. They might consider it if lots and lots of someones want it, though.

Counter question: please explain how doubling, tripling, or even quadrupling the amount of stuff you can get in a single chest would make your game appreciably less fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I forgot that things are fun no matter how many times you have to do them or how long it takes

I can only imagine that you were really proud of this line. Gathering and cooking food is also something that takes time. And you even have to do it more often than chopping wood for chests. Do you also want Klei to take this tedium away and make it so that we skip the middleman and spiders drop meatballs?

In fact, let's remove all the tedium from the game. Double the gold you get from pig king, triple the thulecite from statues. Guarantee a tam and tusk from Walruses, have the archives be already powered, make CC drop a crown, 5 shards and the chest upgrade blueprint.

8 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Counter question: please explain how doubling, tripling, or even quadrupling the amount of stuff you can get in a single chest would make your game appreciably less fun.

Glad to know you didn't really try to understand my point.

Like I said, gathering materials and crafting is part of the survival-sandbox experience. This IS part of the fun of the game. If not chopping down trees by hand then using Bearger or Weather pain to amass logs and feeling proud of yourself. The need to gather materials is an incentive to keep playing; just like any raidboss of rift.

By doubling stack sizes you effectively cut the amount of logs you need for your storage in half. That's half the time less you'd spend listening to the ambiance and work music. Half the time less you'd be ambushed by hounds away from your toothtraps and forced to engage with the game in a more intense way. Half the time less you'd sit there holding space and coming up with a new build project idea for your megabase.

Like, I just can't help it but think that the OP's suggstion is just the forum going "You've given us the taste of comfort with these infinite chests, now we want more and will complain about the smallest of inconveniences in the game"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

I can only imagine that you were really proud of this line.

Not especially. Clearly got under your skin, though. Isn't it annoying when people are needlessly condescending to you?

Gathering and cooking food is also something that takes time. And you even have to do it more often than chopping wood for chests. Do you also want Klei to take this tedium away and make it so that we skip the middleman and spiders drop meatballs?

In fact, let's remove all the tedium from the game. Double the gold you get from pig king, triple the thulecite from statues. Guarantee a tam and tusk from Walruses, have the archives be already powered, make CC drop a crown, 5 shards and the chest upgrade blueprint.

Neverminding that not one of these ideas is a reasonable equivalent to making chests store some more stuff (because chopping trees involves practically no risk, practice, knowledge, or brain power), I would argue that almost all of those tasks are more interesting than chopping your bajillionth tree. Maybe people would like to spend more time doing those things than felling trees or trying to figure out which of their 50 boxes has the thing they're looking for in it.

Glad to know you didn't really try to understand my point.

If in fact I hadn't, I'd have to ask: why should I try to understand your point when you and your like-minded friends are so dismissive of mine?

Like I said, gathering materials and crafting is part of the survival-sandbox experience. This IS part of the fun of the game. If not chopping down trees by hand then using Bearger or Weather pain to amass logs and feeling proud of yourself. The need to gather materials is an incentive to keep playing; just like any raidboss of rift.

By doubling stack sizes you effectively cut the amount of logs you need for your storage in half. That's half the time less you'd spend listening to the ambiance and work music. Half the time less you'd be ambushed by hounds away from your toothtraps and forced to engage with the game in a more intense way. Half the time less you'd sit there holding space and coming up with a new build project idea for your megabase.

I've been playing this game for a decade. The sense of achievement completing what is literally the simplest task in the game has long faded. I've heard the work music and the ambiance so much I barely notice them anymore. And even if it were necessary to leave your base far enough behind while logging to not be able to get back in time for a hound wave, that challenge is long dead too, for a number of reasons. Again, not having to spend quite as much time logging could give me time to go do something that actually puts me at risk.

If those things are truly as exciting to you now as they were ten years ago, that's awesome. You'll forgive me if I have my doubts, but if it truly is, great. But it's not that hard to imagine that others would maybe like to have more time to engage with newer and more challenging things. Even if we shift to the perspective of a new player, I don't believe for a minute that cutting down on the hours and hours and hours and hours of time chopping trees would just rob them of any noticeable amount of fun. Logging is a simple task with minimal dangers. It makes zero sense to talk about this task as if it's the core of the game from which all joy is derived.

Maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree here. We're obviously nowhere near on the same wavelength when you don't recognize tedium as a thing that many -- perhaps most -- people like to reduce, or that sitting and holding space for so long under so little cognitive load might not be everybody's idea of a good time.

All of this to set aside, by the way, other reasons to expand storage, like not having to waste so much time trying to find your stuff because even in spite of mini signs, storage in this game is an organizational nightmare.

Edited by Faintly Macabre
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Well-met said:

pure buff for no reason. My favorite kind of QOL

3 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Make the chests indestructible and free to craft as well while we are at it and turn DST into a pure hamster simulator.

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I can only imagine that you were really proud of this line. Gathering and cooking food is also something that takes time. And you even have to do it more often than chopping wood for chests. Do you also want Klei to take this tedium away and make it so that we skip the middleman and spiders drop meatballs?

I love how you guys keep going but don't respond what I said:

22 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Floor exists and if you have a good enough machine you can drop thousands stacks of items without any lag and don't need to build any chests.

Chest buff would solve the issue of storage being so terrible, if you need to wait after rifts to upgrade chest at that point you'll have 10-20 normal chests and you'll need to hammer them.

Chests don't bring anything to survival, gathering logs for chests is pure tedium that doesn't bring any fun to the player. 

It must be so fun to you, standing in one spot and holding spacebar with axe to take down a tree and now doing that 50 more times. I don't even understand how someone can defend this.

There's a reason players use bearger/forest skeleton.

@SzczukuYou mention tedium and compare this to making food when food is essential part of survival and you have so many options. Tedium in itself is quite bad in most situations but as DST is partially a survival game it needs to have it but that doesn't justify having more tedium that is unnecessary and on top of that doesn't impact survival.

That's not fun part of the game, that is you comparing game to a real life job. The fun part is you having the choice to do whatever you want in the game without being limited to any required survival task for a long time. Why do you think there are so many ways to restore health, hunger and sanity in the late game? Survival becomes a chore and most survival/sandbox games let players overcome it after enough time invested into building and you will need to do as little as possible to survive indefinitely.

Most players that can kill CC won't even bother with storage or collecting any material as much now until they can upgrade chest. Why would I make 20 chests before rifts and hammer them all after? I'll use the floor because storage is terrible in the current state.

Like, I just can't help it but think that the OP's suggstion is just the forum going "You've given us the taste of comfort with these infinite chests, now we want more and will complain about the smallest of inconveniences in the game"

Chest upgrade was listed under performance. The chest upgrade shouldn't be locked to after CC.

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Why would anyone need to have 2 chests full of grass (720) before they get to rifts? If there is no change to item storage or recipe doesn't change to be before rifts what players will do is collect as little as possible or drop everything on the floor so that when they get to upgrade chests they don't need to hammer down 20+ normal chests but just build as few as possible and store everything in them.

Increasing stack size can improve early game storage and that's the point, this chest upgrade is listed under performance, so why does performance upgrade need to be after rifts?

You realistically don't need such amount of grass or chests. Hence there is no problem. The current implementation of chests is fine. The tall chests are a nice late-game reward and by then you will have more resources / entities in the world. Hopefully not an absurd amount, but the reward will definitely be a welcome addition for neatly organizing items.

We all love performance improvements. However, any performance improvements will quickly be offset by indefinite senseless hoarding. That is why it should not be encouraged in the first place. :wilson_wink:

3 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Reasons you don't like are still reasons, yo.

That's the thing; noobs spam chests for esoteric or no reason. Good players find a way to arrange logistics and resolve logistical issues. Please don't make the game cater to bad players even more.

And yes, fun comes from expanding a base while designing it to withstand hazards (giants, hound waves, wildfires). Few things would be as boring as being able to freely expand at your whim. If you put effort, as in time and thinking, you "deserve" a nice base. Did you happen to build it the meteor field or clump every structure together for when Deerclops spawns you should have it coming. Admittedly this requires learning the game, mostly the hard way, but that is what makes it fun. The silly approach is to design bases that work poorly and run into issues and complain in the forum how bad you consider the game.

Every creative approach to the game is being chipped away. The biggest example is that there are perfectly fine items for countering wildfires but fires are still getting adjusted because players are so bad at the game. When did you see anyone place a chest on a Scaled Flooring the last time?

Another classic is fresh players visiting the ruins together complaining they don't have enough inventory space but you never hear them cooperating or communicating to merge their stacks of items ("hey, you can give me all your Flint and Rocks to free up your slots"). It's another example of players managing logistics insanely poorly.

1 hour ago, Captain_Rage said:

You realistically don't need such amount of grass or chests. Hence there is no problem. The current implementation of chests is fine. The tall chests are a nice late-game reward and by then you will have more resources / entities in the world. Hopefully not an absurd amount, but the reward will definitely be a welcome addition for neatly organizing items.

We all love performance improvements. However, any performance improvements will quickly be offset by indefinite senseless hoarding. That is why it should not be encouraged in the first place. :wilson_wink:

9 slots per chest (3 boards) is terrible compared to like 99% of other similar games that have storage systems. When floor is a better option that is only limited by your hardware, no one can convince me that chest are currently fine. Decent storage shouldn't be locked and considered a reward for the players, it is literally a necessity in sandbox games.

Hoarding is a player choice and you aren't going to stop hoarders by limiting storage they already build a chest for every specific item in the game and have hundreds.

That's the thing; noobs spam chests for esoteric or no reason. Good players find a way to arrange logistics and resolve logistical issues. Please don't make the game cater to bad players even more.

I am not playing DST to solve logistic problems because storage options suck. This is not catering to bad players but removing a headache for all players so that they don't need to bother with something that they shouldn't have needed to do in the first place.

Every creative approach to the game is being chipped away. The biggest example is that there are perfectly fine items for countering wildfires but fires are still getting adjusted because players are so bad at the game. When did you see anyone place a chest on a Scaled Flooring the last time?

Wildfires is a terrible game mechanic and literally half the playerbase dislikes it. A lot of players like me don't even bother dealing with them, we either turn them off or go to caves every summer and avoid them.

The options we have to dealing with wildfires are limited, you can't cover a large part of land without it requiring upkeep (flingomatics) or you have to build near water so that above average trees cover everything. Scaled flooring doesn't prevent wildfires, only prevents fire spread and looks ugly if you build it everywhere and most structures don't look like the fit the theme.

Now you have ice crystaleyeser but while it protects your structures from wildfires you need to spam them everywhere like lightning rods and it also ruins the theme of the build but it is less of a problem than scaled flooring, don't forget that it also freezes the player, so why bother? 

The solutions we come to is building in oasis or spending every summer in caves as the only perfect solutions. Above average trees can be another option if you have a small base.

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 3

On 3/17/2024 at 1:48 PM, skile said:

Having a long-term(ish) world, as a character without perks that can aid in woodchopping, showed me just how great glass axes actually are. 

Glass axes aint bad, but hiring 3 pigs is even better. And then there is bearger.

3 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

noobs spam chests for esoteric or no reason

Read: my buddy who, in our Wigfrid + Woodie world placed 6 chests in no real order to, and I quote: "Try to keep the Mini Glacier from spawning."

• GL Happy 1

4 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Most nice and reasonable DST player

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Going out and "being attacked by hounds" as you've put it is such a weird example. Because they find you no matter where you are :lol:.

Not to mention most resources "you're out and gathering" are easily transplanted at base. And when are you never one-two screens away from trees lmao. Are you basing in the Sahara? Is there some dlc map expansion I don't know about? 

Also funny you mention tooth traps and mega basing at the same time. I don't know many experienced players that can get to mega basing and still rely on tooth traps. 

Usually people leave base and go pretty far to gather food/unique items/fight bosses. Not a few twigs or logs.... Pinecones aren't exactly fixed to one area.

9 hours ago, Szczuku said:

God forbid I put anything into my chests besides grass! I keep seeing this example...

I put other stuff in my chests besides one item and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's almost like everyone plays differently... maybe. 

And not everyone megabases, the capacity of chests going from 0 to 100 is just really strange progression. And more storage has been something people have asked for forever. Usually in the forms of weapon/tool racks but using up less space on resources in general is good too. 

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 2

On 3/17/2024 at 3:33 AM, HowlVoid said:

Doesn't it make sense that a cheat holds more than a pocket? 

I agree, make the player's stack size half of the current one. Chests will look more desirable (or rather the floor will be even more popular)

50 minutes ago, SapoLover said:

I agree, make the player's stack size half of the current one. Chests will look more desirable (or rather the floor will be even more popular)

Nah make it so you can only hold one item per slot. No more stacks in pockets. 

That will surely make the game uncompromising.

• Haha 1

This thread is amazing.

I'd also like a change to have higher base stack sizes in chests. That or at least some mid game or more rush-able upgrade to chests beyond what we have now. Right now we have:

1. The floor
  2. 9 slot basic chest or 8 slot backpacks dumped on the floor
  3. Scaled chest for +3 slots... I mostly just don't make these much anymore
  4. 9 slots of infinity -1 stack size after killing Celestial Champion

Some new option between #3 and #4 would be great. My thought in another thread was having an existing boss (or scrap pig) drop an upgrade that only works on scaled chests, but you can't duplicate the upgrade. Likely a boss with a respawn timer, so that you can eventually spam tall chests way more, but you have a goal for earning better storage a single chest at a time before you start farming CC.

• Like 1