Tall chests max limit per slot [poll]

Stacksize max limit per slot for the tall chest  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What do max limit do you prefer?

• 179769313486231590772930519078902473361797697894230657273430081157732675805500963132708477322407536021120113879871393357658789768814416622492847430639474124377767893424865485276302219601246094119453082952085005768838150682342462881473913110540827237163350510684586298239947245938479716304835356329624224137216, or 2^1024!
  2. 2. Would you like the number of item stack in a tall chest to be accurate to the actual amount number if the stack goes over 999?

3. 3. Would a stack of 999+ items is number reflecting the real amount in the stack make it more immersive for you and would you like that?

Personally, my main gripe with the tall chest is it feels like a something a mod dev would make and it's not fully polished because the stack size of the item doesn't go past 999 even though the stack of the items in the chest can.. if it was a mod I would be fine, but since this is going to be official content I hold Klei to a more professional standard that the content they add should feel polished and refined and not weird like this.

If the chest could just stack to a reasonable amount which is basically unlimited anyways such as 999 or even 9999 and its number actually reflects the amount of items in the stack I would be completely fine with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I don't think anything is gained from removing the ginormous capacity, while a lot of practicality is lost. I wouldn't want the capacity to be lowered for something like immersion. If a + symbol is added I think that'd be enough.

• Like 19
  • Big Ups 1

Just now, Masked Koopa said:

I don't think anything is gained from removing the ginormous capacity, while a lot of practicality is lost. I wouldn't want the capacity to be lowered for something like immersion. If a + symbol is added I think that'd be enough.

I agree to disagree. I think immersion is a very important part of the game and if things that break immersion are deemed okay to add it will lead to more weird inconsistencies in the future and the quality of the game will degrade as time goes by.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, . . . said:

Personally, my main gripe with the tall chest is it feels like a something a mod dev would make and it's not fully polished because the stack size of the item doesn't go past 999 even though the stack of the items in the chest can.

This is about all I needed to read to form my opinion. If you had watched the stream, they mentioned that they wanted to indicate that stack sizes over 999, but had to take it out as it shifted the stack number out of the item “box”, and they did not have time to finalize the design. I also fail to see how allowing items to stack in a stationary structure is a “mod dev” issue, since most of the time people get by this by increasing the slots in a container and not just increasing the stack size of the item in the container without adjusting stack sizes for the whole game.

I don’t get why people are so heavily against the idea of a chest holding infinite items. People have complained multiple times that mass amounts of the same item cause lag for a long while now, especially in the megabase community, which is what this chest is geared towards. In my world I had to dedicate an area in my cave to gift wrapped backpacks of moon shards because I had such a comical amount from the moonstorm that it was the only reasonable way I could store it without causing a client crash. The idea that I don’t have to deal with those types of gymnastics and can just neatly put 1 type of an item in a chest is extremely nice.

• Like 8

I want the number to be displayed as "999+".

But when hovered, the slot will show me the actual number.

Alternatively, it could display : D emoji instead of "999+", as that's what chrome mobile browser does when you have 100+ tabs open.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

This is about all I needed to read to form my opinion. If you had watched the stream, they mentioned that they wanted to indicate that stack sizes over 999, but had to take it out as it shifted the stack number out of the item “box”, and they did not have time to finalize the design. I also fail to see how allowing items to stack in a stationary structure is a “mod dev” issue, since most of the time people get by this by increasing the slots in a container and not just increasing the stack size of the item in the container without adjusting stack sizes for the whole game.

I don’t get why people are so heavily against the idea of a chest holding infinite items. People have complained multiple times that mass amounts of the same item cause lag for a long while now, especially in the megabase community, which is what this chest is geared towards. In my world I had to dedicate an area in my cave to gift wrapped backpacks of moon shards because I had such a comical amount from the moonstorm that it was the only reasonable way I could store it without causing a client crash. The idea that I don’t have to deal with those types of gymnastics and can just neatly put 1 type of an item in a chest is extremely nice.

Agree but just by curiousity, why you didnt use a lure plant to destroy the excess of items? You know you wont use it

Players: would be great if late-game we could have a bigger-capacity chest or could elevate somehow the slot-number for chests to a reasonable degree...

KLei: How is 6-slots BUT, bare with me... INFINITE-CAPACITY sounds to you? Let's just slap a 999 visual indicator per slot just because, hyu-hyu!

Some Players: Whoo-hooo, KLei U da bes, not even modders dared to do that!

Some Moders with obvious broken, poorly-thought mods: W0t?! Fo real?!

You know, there's an... infinite interval (heh) of combinations one can go from 9-slots with 10-20-40 upper limit - that's not right away the de facto infinite. By this point looks like KLei just "fukk it, might as well by now". Aka professionalism and restraint - out the window. Yes, is about the looks of it all. And what one could expect now in future "balancing" of things, globally.

PS - fun fact: did you know most dedicated servers out there can't manage exploding dozens of Stone Fruint Stacks and crash?

Spoiler

29930D127788A72F960F1D9D18F601088E88B05A

Imagine the effect of these marvelous "999-slot stacks" chests on server when hammered/burned/exploded as well, mmmm.

Edited by MondayNight

2 minutes ago, landromat said:

3 numbers is maximum readable amount for current chests. You can not make bigger numbers without making it unreadable mess

could make it e.g. 1K, 2KK etc., wouldn't be exact and wouldn't display the amount even closely if you reach the limit but better than not knowing if you have 999 or 9000000+ items

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think designing a box with almost unlimited stacking that can be obtained later is actually to optimize the server, especially Stone Fruit and Gold, so I don't think it's a bad idea.

But the display issue is actually quite significant. If you want to display the actual numbers, the box interface may not fit. So I suggest displaying 999+is the best option.

• Like 2

Just now, grm9 said:

could make it e.g. 1K, 2KK etc., wouldn't be exact and wouldn't display the amount even closely if you reach the limit but better than not knowing if you have 999 or 9000000+ items

that's fine i guess

23 minutes ago, MondayNight said:

Players: would be great if late-game we could have a bigger-capacity chest or could elevate somehow the slot-number for chests to a reasonable degree...

KLei: How is 6-slots BUT, bare with me... INFINITE-CAPACITY sounds to you? Let's just slap a 999 visual indicator per slot just because, hyu-hyu!

Some Players: Whoo-hooo, KLei U da bes, not even modders dared to do that!

Some Moders with obvious broken, poorly-thought mods: W0t?! Fo real?!

You know, there is an... infinite interval (heh) of combinations one can go from 9-slots with 10-20-40 upper limit - that's not right away the de facto infinite. By this point looks like KLei just "fukk it, might as well by now". Aka professionalism and restraint - out the window. Yes, is about the looks of it all. And what one could expect now in future "balancing" of things, globally.

It is large but not Infinite

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cliffford W. said:

It is large but not Infinite

Technically yes. But let's be real here and not muddle in semantics: 2^1024 is infinite for all intends and purposes. And looks ridiculous no matter what back-break bending one musters to justify it. Even modders stopped at 999-items per slot - and we all know what vast majority of DST Workshop mods are like.

1 hour ago, MondayNight said:

And what one could expect now in future "balancing" of things, globally

Hide contents

how would infinite chests impact balance, considering you can drop things on the ground and they have no collision? I doubt that expensive ground downgrade is going to make them add an invincibility perk to maxwell's skill tree or something

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

This distinction is not meaningful. In no practical situation will anybody be accruing 9007199254740992 of anything, let alone more than that.

Hold my beer

• Haha 2
  • Ninja 1

26 minutes ago, grm9 said:

how would infinite chests impact balance, considering you can drop things on the ground and they have no collision? I doubt that expensive ground downgrade is going to make them add an invincibility perk to maxwell's skill tree or something

Remember when people were farming wood in bulk via various methods to build adequate storage to their needs? That will be out the window, an activity tied to Survival in the sense it subtracts time and resources (also somewhat dangerous, be it Ents/Bearger + cumulative detrimental factos, etc). And was directly proportional to the amount of hoarding one might engage with. Now you'll solely need 3 Boards and I presume, if tied to Junkyard Werepig, some Junk and possibly an Ark Spark and/or some Rare gems (1-2). Given nowadays, thanks to the season-and-resources-type limiters being removed due to lobbying, one can rush CC 1st Autumn/Winter, Endless pubs - for those is where I for one exclusively play and observe such behaviors - will be in end-game content by 1st Spring/Summer, rushers mentality (the same ones that after defeating CC and opening Rifts, delog to never come back on that server iteration - casuals/newbies have fun with Shades). And will be that easy/quick to get the "endless" Big Chests going. Namely hoarding promoted with a very small space requirement for their placement, storing huge quantities of materials. That's the factual issue here.

Then is the game philosophy behind it, i.e. KLei willingness to go the "ridiculous mod" route. We already have "power creep" via Character Re-reworks & Skill Trees. Then the Banana Bushes active all-year-round, Polar Bin a.s.o. Now "999-to-infinity" chests (remember that Storeroom mod? Oh boy, how reserved, conservative its modders were). What else will come along, "slippery slope" way, in future, in this manner? How long till DST will not be DS in ethos and execution, but some weird, flamboyantly ridiculous "soup with everything"? I wish I too am exaggerating... yet I believe that will not be the case in the end.

Edited by MondayNight
  • Like 3

Sure people wont farm wood because few less chests would be needed while the truth is that 80% of my grass and wood goes to wood walls for roads and other structures

6 minutes ago, MondayNight said:

Remember when people were farming wood in bulk via various methods to build adequate storage to their needs? That will be out the window, an activity tied to Survival in the sense it subtracts time and resources (also somewhat dangerous, be it Ents/Bearger + cumulative detrimental factos, etc). And was directly proportional to the amount of hoarding one might engage with. Now you'll solely need 3 Boards and I presume, if tied to Junkyard Werepig, some Junk and possibly an Ark Spark and/or some Rare gems (1-2). Given nowadays, thanks to the season-and-resources-type limiters being removed due to lobbying, one can rush CC 1st Autumn/Winter, Endless pubs - for those is where I for one exclusively play and observe such behaviors - will be in end-game content by 1st Spring/Summer, rushers mentality (the same ones that after defeating CC and opening Rifts, delog to never come back on that server iteration - casuals/newbies have fun with Shades). And will be that easy/quick to get the "endless" Big Chests going. Namely hoarding promoted with a very small space requirement for their placement, storing huge quantities of materials. That's the factual issue here

that still doesn't explain why can't you just put stuff onto the ground, there's no difference between a billion rot in a chest and a billion of rot dropped on the ground close to each other, free space is usually not an issue and you could probably fit in 9 piles of items in the same amount of space that a chest would take up while still keeping the items far away enough from each other to not accidentally missclick on other items often

10 minutes ago, MondayNight said:

(the same ones that after defeating CC and opening Rifts, delog to never come back on that server iteration - casuals/newbies have fun with Shades)

that sounds as absurd as blaming people for playing until winter even though it'd be harder for newbies to survive during it

12 minutes ago, MondayNight said:

Then is the game philosophy behind it, i.e. KLei willingness to go the "ridiculous mod" route. We already have "power creep" via Character Re-reworks & Skill Trees. Then the Banana Bushes active all-year-round, Polar Bin a.s.o. Now "999-to-infinity" chests

all of these except character changes didn't even change balance, i still never use bananas bushes, don't have crockpots by the time i get bearger bin and likely still won't use chests after the billion items per slot chests get added

17 minutes ago, MondayNight said:

Polar Bin

I think this is the dumbest example you could bring... is just a QoL item to dont use bundle wrap but you dont need to wait until killing CC and the 3 possesed bosses to have a better food storage item but to simply kill BQ in the 1st autumn...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MondayNight said:

Remember when people were farming wood in bulk via various methods to build adequate storage to their needs?

Yes, we remember. We remember it being an incredible, time-consuming chore that still resulted in an unpleasant and unwieldy storage solution. We remember it becoming utterly trivial as an exercise in resourcefulness because things like the Bearger and the Old Bell were implemented in Don't Starve nearly 10 years ago.

Namely hoarding promoted with a very small space requirement for their placement, storing huge quantities of materials.

There is no resource in the game that is so plentiful as to require an endless storage solution that is also so easily exhausted as to make a lack of storage limits a threat to its availability.

What else will come along, "slippery slope" way, in future, in this manner?

Slippery slope arguments suck. They presume that something is a slide down hill (which is more often than not simply not agreed upon), that there won't be an opportunity to stop the object when it starts, that the hill goes all the way down to this unwanted depth, etc. Don't Starve will not die because the devs realized item storage sucks. It just won't happen.

• Like 2

Also a lot of people is missing that the infinity was added to reduce fps drops in megabases where people have thousands of stacks inside gift wraps inside chests. This change doesnt affect boss rush runs, casual pub players or any other form of short term run because neither in that way of playing people gather that much materials neither is worth upgrading chests to save few boards ( instead of 10 chests they will use 3? Wow)

Also anybody that will take advantage of this feature will have all their gold, rot, whatever in a single chests. Most likely they will build these chests near the place they need as is being done since alwaya, ex: 1 chest with rot in every plantation, 1 chests with a lazy forager plus NF/pure horror near all farms, etc. 

• Like 6