Why can't actions be faster for everybody?

Why is faster crafting a character exclusive feature? Why is faster harvesting a part of woodie's skill tree? Why does cooking takes forever for everyone but 3 characters?

I've been playing this game for years, for thousands of hours and I am so sick and tired of these slow animations i have to do every single time i play. 

The game will simply be better if everyone will have these "perks". 

• Like 5

I am not a fan of the longer Panflute animations, it makes it really hard on Xbox. I’ve adjusted to simply moving further away from the enemies and then using the Panflute but it feels like such a Multiplayer change… Like you legit wouldn’t even notice the longer timers on it if you had so much as one other player to distract or take some of the heat off you.

But as a solo player… running away from large hound waves just got significantly more complicated.

If that was Klei’s intention, mission accomplished I guess? But to me it simply means finding the nearest mob to draw their Aggro onto (such as Pigmen or Beefalo) & if you don’t have a walking cane, GG bro your pretty much dog food.

Game is all about manmade obstacles. Literally every part of the game can be made more convenient to users.

But we are not users, we are players, we feel fun from overcoming challenges and obstacles.

If it's not fun for you, use mods.

Edited by goatt
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

Everyone can craft a scythe and use an orange amulet

Yeah, "everyone" especially pub players. 

I just love to join a fresh world every day and immediately go for the scythe before picking up a single grass. 

And the orange amulet is so good especially when I need to refine my chest full of logs into boards. 

31 minutes ago, goatt said:

Game is all about manmade obstacles. Literally every part of the game can be made more convenient to users.

But we are not users, we are players, we feel fun from overcoming challenges and obstacles.

If it's not fun for you, use mods.

My favorite challenge/obstacle in this game is definitely the slow animations for basic activities.

I especially love to overcome them by swapping to Winona when I need to craft something or by simply eating things raw. Very awesome! 

Gosh I wish more games were like this. I wish I could only craft 1 torch per second in terraria. I LOVE good challenges. 

50 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I am not a fan of the longer Panflute animations, it makes it really hard on Xbox. I’ve adjusted to simply moving further away from the enemies and then using the Panflute but it feels like such a Multiplayer change… Like you legit wouldn’t even notice the longer timers on it if you had so much as one other player to distract or take some of the heat off you.

But as a solo player… running away from large hound waves just got significantly more complicated.

If that was Klei’s intention, mission accomplished I guess? But to me it simply means finding the nearest mob to draw their Aggro onto (such as Pigmen or Beefalo) & if you don’t have a walking cane, GG bro your pretty much dog food.

Unrelated, and also what? Panflute can't be canceled anymore but it still puts mobs to sleep on the same frame so what are you on about? 

1 hour ago, BezKa said:

nah

take your time to think about over-fishing while your character works

Yeah dude. Dst is not slow and repetitive as long as you are half asleep while playing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Why is faster crafting a character exclusive feature? Why is faster harvesting a part of woodie's skill tree? Why does cooking takes forever for everyone but 3 characters?

I've been playing this game for years, for thousands of hours and I am so sick and tired of these slow animations i have to do every single time i play. 

We need crafting machines, I think it is a good skill to Winona's skill tree. 

• Like 1

I honestly kind of agree - I'm really not sold on character perks being primarily QOL rather than specifically facilitating alternate playstyles. A lot of character perks feel like they'd be much better suited as universally usable items instead. Crafting to me is a prime example of this, especially because it makes doing large crafts with wilson painfully slow, and you don't even have the option to swap to winona to speed it up.

Edited by Masked Koopa
  • Like 3

The game is basically unplayable for me without the Lazy Furnace mod that lets dfly furnace cook things in bulk. 

These slow everyday actions drive me crazy too and are a huge deterrent for me when it comes to starting new worlds even when ive grown a lil tired of my late game worlds that have all the extremely necessary stuff like scythe/forager/lureplant farms etc. 

For me this also includes picking up loot. A mature evergreen drops 5 freakin pieces of loot that have to all be picked up individually.. more loot should drop partially stacked like when u blow up stonefruit.

literally the ONLY thing i use celestial portal for is to switch to Winona and refine multiple chests full of grass/rocks/reeds/logs. 

Refining anything over like 10 ropes is so frustrating for me lol because ur just forced to sit there and watch an animation loop. 

Frankly i think this is unacceptable the game is so old at this point, stuff like this shouldve gotten a mid-late game upgrade by now. 

Refining machines for example have been suggested so many times atp.

Bulk cooking exists in SW but for some reason devs have still not come to the conclusion that DST could benefit from it too. 

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 4

Imagine saying that you hate having to cook everytime you want homemade food. Having to work to get money, exercise to lose weight etc.. 

Imagine if everything in life was instant. How boring.

We as humans get used to doing simple tasks, so much so that we start to lose appreciation for small things. When taking a shower and properly washing yourself was once a challenge when you were a kid, now is a time waster. Your brain automatically starts thinking random things since it got used to it. Driving is also the same.

I think it would benefit you to play fast paced games. Dst is not a fast paced game, is an experience. And as @Yuuko mentioned it, the game already has many alternatives to regular tasks. While simultaneously giving you reasons to explore other areas of the game.

That is why the devs should take posts like these with a grain of salt. Sticking to their plans and the game's identity is the way to go.

Edited by Swiyss
  • Like 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

7 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

I agree with your issues, but I strongly disagree with your solutions. They lack ambition. 

I look to klei's previous work when it comes to mass crafting as a concept. Shipwrecked was a good one. No one hated fire packim baggin's ability to cook stacks of meat at once.

I think automation like that has a place in the constant.

• Like 3

Isn't this a classic case of wanting 1000 of a resource when you actually one 15? Many players fall into such time sink traps and become frustrated, from the looks of it. The pacing of the game is nice if you ask me and doing certain actions faster works well as perks for some characters. It is hardly unbearable if you have the slightest amount of patience and like the game for what it is.

• Like 1

Actions take time so you administrate the time

I see people with too many hours complaining about chores. In "late" you cut almost every action with QoL items

We only need a way to plant pinecones and to refine boards and ropes

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Actions take time so you administrate the time

that could probably be solved in case of at least solo worlds by speeding up time after you start an action and returning it to x1 after you finish it

14 minutes ago, arubaro said:

I see people with too many hours complaining about chores. In "late" you cut almost every action with QoL items

having played a lot doesn't mean that you never start new worlds

16 hours ago, Yuuko said:

Everyone can craft a scythe and use an orange amulet

Cooking food still feels unessisarly long.

Also i wish this was accesable earlier. Killing fw to harvest grass and twigs faster is barely an option for most players.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Isn't this a classic case of wanting 1000 of a resource when you actually one 15? Many players fall into such time sink traps and become frustrated, from the looks of it. The pacing of the game is nice if you ask me and doing certain actions faster works well as perks for some characters. It is hardly unbearable if you have the slightest amount of patience and like the game for what it is.

There are many projects that benefit from large quantities of a resource, they're just not for the early game.

I’m fine with taking a lot of time to harvest a lot of stuff and I’ve never had any issue with the amount of time it takes to craft stuff, I feel like this is probably more of a personal preference thing that can be solved with mods on your end rather than having every character able to craft / pick items really quickly. Maybe in the case of console players it can be made as a world config setting so you can opt in if you want fast interacts?

I do run into an annoyance issue of mass cooking food to prolong their spoilage times when not Warly, but 99% of the time that isn’t actually relevant because I’m constantly overflowing with food anyway so it’s a pitfall of my own design. Making a bunch of boards after I chop down a whole forest is usually a one-time time project (or one time after a very long break in between) and I’m already dedicating a good chunk of time getting all the resources regardless. 

• Like 1

autostack should 100% be vanilla, if ur playing dst for the cookie clicker just play cookie clicker. there are so many interesting and fun parts about the game that already get slogged down by the horrendously slow and repetitive early game 

ocean content should be rewarding players with solutions to issues like cooking and crafting time rather than solutions to problems you create for yourself by interacting with ocean content. whenever i want to cook something i need to automate it with action queue and then watch tiktoks for 3 minutes. its rotting my brain.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

A suggestion to potentially alleviate some of this problem.

Crafting items near their respective research station should allow for an adjustable quantity of items to be crafted all at once instead of one at a time.

Winona’s fast crafting is less useful, but frankly I think it should be changed to something else, like reduced crafting cost for science machine level crafts.

• Like 2