Do Wilson's transmutations need improved?

I don't feel like most of them are well designed. Most are not built in a way that works as a survival tool, and more as a really niche tool. 

The good ones are the log one and icky 1.

The rest feel too inefficent, or make an item you wont care much for.

How could they be improved?

1. Add spider transmutation. Let us transmute all three of the spiders drops efficently.

2. 2 rocks should make 1 flint.

3. Blue and red gems able to be transmuted in a 1:1 ratio. Make transmuting yellow and green gems cost 1 gem less.

4. For icky 3, make poop craftable with 2 rot instead of 6 (so useless) and make poop be able to be crafted into 2 rot. This would make playing as Wilson be so good.

5. More good transmutations, like transmuting fish instead of just regular meat. Maybe turning 3 frog legs into 2 fish morsels could be interesting.

How would you improve Wilson transmutations?

• Like 1
  • Health 1

4 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

5. More good transmutations, like transmuting fish instead of just regular meat. Maybe turning 3 frog legs into 2 fish morsels could be interesting.

I love the suggestions you made but please, no more transmutations. They don't give real gameplay value to average player and mostly used by megabasers.

Even if klei turns all of them as good as transmute icky I, they are still an unfun and uninspired feature. No matter how hard you try, you can't make clicking a button fun.

So I agree with @Evelo here. Either turn it into an entire new endgame crafting station, or make it so Wilson has a special way to do his own Transmutations via some new content.

But then again, this all boils down to Klei giving Wilson another look. And considering how they treated his update and how they still ignore most of the bugs about him to this day,

It's safe to say that Wilson ain't getting anything anymore. 

So no, Transmutations don't need improvement, they need replacement, Just like rest of Wilson's skills.

Edited by mkemal23
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, mkemal23 said:

I love the suggestions you made but please, no more transmutations. They don't give real gameplay value to average player and mostly used by megabasers.

Even if klei turns all of them as good as transmute icky I, they are still an unfun and uninspired feature. No matter how hard you try, you can't make clicking a button fun.

So I agree with @Evelo here. Either turn it into an entire new endgame crafting station, or make it so Wilson has a special way to do his own Transmutations via some new content.

But then again, this all boils down to Klei giving Wilson another look. And considering how they treated his update and how they still ignore most of the bugs about him to this day,

It's safe to say that Wilson ain't getting anything anymore. 

So no, Transmutations don't need improvement, they need replacement, Just like rest of Wilson's skills.

They should let him make potions. Maybe a potion that makes his beard grow a resource.

For example, he can craft a gold potion, and his beard will grow gold. Once shaved, you gain the gold and his beard turns back to normal.

Maybe a potion that works as a mini grenade too?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

They should let him make potions. Maybe a potion that makes his beard grow a resource.

For example, he can craft a gold potion, and his beard will grow gold. Once shaved, you gain the gold and his beard turns back to normal.

Maybe a potion that works as a mini grenade too?

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. First the rework and then the skilltree.

Also Given how much Wilson uses them in official arts, Potions would most likely be the best option right now. 

Edited by mkemal23
  • Like 6

Wilson should create various portions that increase the speed of the characters (coffee through Wilson), that give the effect of slowing the bosses, that leave all the bosses wet for a long time, etc. This would be the rework that Wilson never had.

The only function I value in Wilson is flint creation. This helps a lot for megabase.

• Like 1

Transmute Ore II, Transmute Gems III, and the entire Transmute Icky line are good.

3 hours ago, mkemal23 said:

Transmute Ore II lets you get gold out of regular boulders, which can be very useful if you're struggling to find gold (especially on a public server where people often mine every goulder while ignoring the boulders).

3 hours ago, mkemal23 said:

True! I don't even have the transmute perks specced in because they're just so boring. 

15 minutes ago, mkemal23 said:

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. First the rework and then the skilltree.

Also Given how much Wilson uses them in official arts, Potions would most likely be the best option right now. 

I want him to do the throw animation then a spinning potion bottle flies to where he threw it and it explodes on the ground, that would be really funny looking. I don't even care what the potions do, I just want him to chuck 'em around. 

• Big Ups 1

But I think Wilson is a goner.

Every improvement that Klei wants to make comes a lot of people on the Forum saying that it cannot be improved, as it must be "the standard of the game".

Interestingly, Wilson has his attributes designed for DS and not for DST.

• Big Ups 1

32 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Transmute Ore II, Transmute Gems III, and the entire Transmute Icky line are good.

Transmute Ore II lets you get gold out of regular boulders, which can be very useful if you're struggling to find gold (especially on a public server where people often mine every goulder while ignoring the boulders).

Yes, transmute Icky I and Transmute Ore II are arguably the best transmutations Wilson has.

35 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I want him to do the throw animation then a spinning potion bottle flies to where he threw it and it explodes on the ground, that would be really funny looking. I don't even care what the potions do, I just want him to chuck 'em around. 

Flasks? Great Idea. Klei don't have to be make them strong, they just have to make them fun.

I hope that one that We will get a proper Alchemist Wilson with unique gameplay features. One man can dream.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

I want him to do the throw animation then a spinning potion bottle flies to where he threw it and it explodes on the ground, that would be really funny looking. I don't even care what the potions do, I just want him to chuck 'em around

that's what he has in smashup, in addition to exploding by adding something into a potion, although making wilson a kamikaze would be odd

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Evelo said:

I think Wilson's Transmutations need to be moved to a Unique Station anyone can craft; and replace the traits with literally anything else.

This.

The thing is, almost nobody doesn't bother with his skill tree because a minority of people play with him.

• Sad Dupe 1

My vision of a quick buff to Wilson's transmutation
Transmute icky I should include fish morsels to big fish and back again.
Somewhere within transmute icky, it should also include less glowberries > glowberries. 

Wilson would be Wigfrid's favorite survivor if he also had beefalo horns > voltgoat horns too.

• Like 2

I liked all the suggestions. I would just add that I would find it more interesting if all gem transmutations were 2 to 1. These transmutations of gems (except for iri gem) have not yet become relevant in the form they are today, but may have just been my experience.

almost off topic
Wilson's skill tree will definitely need to be revisited. The whole birth of it seems to have been troubled, it seems to have been just a pilot test to see how this would work and disguised as "Wilson's Refresh". Compared to other skill trees, which are basically half of them useless, Wilson's is much worse. The whole torch set is a pretty bad joke, throwing torches was supposed to be something passive from the character that didn't deserve the attention that was given.

• Like 3

I always invisioned Wilson being able to craft a lot of things creating some sort of 'Everymaterial' with categories for ore, materials, food and organic. Like converting Monster Meat will yield 1 food value and with 6 you could convert it to Meat or converting Meat would give you 3 food value and convert to Monster Meat for 2 food value.

2 hours ago, Castiliano said:

I liked all the suggestions. I would just add that I would find it more interesting if all gem transmutations were 2 to 1. These transmutations of gems (except for iri gem) have not yet become relevant in the form they are today, but may have just been my experience.

almost off topic
Wilson's skill tree will definitely need to be revisited. The whole birth of it seems to have been troubled, it seems to have been just a pilot test to see how this would work and disguised as "Wilson's Refresh". Compared to other skill trees, which are basically half of them useless, Wilson's is much worse. The whole torch set is a pretty bad joke, throwing torches was supposed to be something passive from the character that didn't deserve the attention that was given.

Yeah. Wilson is kinda boring. He lost his identity as the standard character, but is now just a very plain and weird thing.

• Sad Dupe 1

IDK why ya'll are complaining about the transmutes, instead of the fact that twelve slots are being taken up for four actual traits on the beard and torch trees. Seriously, we don't need three tiers of insulation, beard growth, torch durability and radius. These could be turned into one skill each with T3's power and it wouldn't be even remotely OP.

• Like 5

The saddest part is if Wilson doesn't get any touchups or new skills by the end of this pass of character skillsets, I fear he may never receive anything new for the rest of Don't Starve Together's lifespan. I have noticed that unless the community bands together during an update's beta, the likelihood of revisiting/reworking content is very slim. Which understandably makes sense, as betas are meant to be tweaked and refined, though it would be really cool to have a small team dedicated to considering community suggestions for post-beta content.

• Like 7
  • Sad Dupe 1

41 minutes ago, Harrowick said:

The saddest part is if Wilson doesn't get any touchups or new skills by the end of this pass of character skillsets, I fear he may never receive anything new for the rest of Don't Starve Together's lifespan. I have noticed that unless the community bands together during an update's beta, the likelihood of revisiting/reworking content is very slim. Which understandably makes sense, as betas are meant to be tweaked and refined, though it would be really cool to have a small team dedicated to considering community suggestions for post-beta content.

Don't worry. After they finish with the skill trees, instead of actually updating the game, they'll start releasing the Skill Tree Refreshes, and then Wilson can get a better one. Then he'll get another chance at getting updated when they finish with those and start releasing Character Reworks (not to be confused with the earlier character refreshes), and another chance once they release a second set of skill trees that are equipped alongside the first skill trees. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Honestly not a fan of transmutations in general. I love that the game has option to mass produce material like rocks with stone fruits, gold with pig king, marble beans, pitgman at moonbase and so on. 

I'd rather klei add good sources for other resources instead of making transmutations the best way to get something. 

The gem transmutation bugs me. I already wasn't sure what to do with gems, and now I wonder if transming every single one of them is the best idea. 

• Like 2

I think transmutation is cool as it is. What really needs to be improved is "torch/light" line, so first skill to double torch, then second to double lantern, third something special like magilumi. For now is quite worthless.

• Like 1