Wendy is one of the best starting characters ever

For new players, she allows them to learn the fundamentals of dst while trivializing aspects of combat that beginners can't deal with themselves, she is not like wigfrid where she ignores fundamentals to make the game easier the game.

the slower sanity drain also makes new players more comfortable, it works better than when new players try to go play walter because he theoretically loses no sanity and then they get hit once and get a -100 per minute sanity drain.

But what makes her truly great is that she is very valuable at all levels of play, the things she can bring to the table with her unique skills will never be underwhelming and its a true testament to good game design.

Her skins are awesome too (looking at yo goofy ass skins walter wortox and warly)

As a Wendy main who has played Wendy in DS, SW, Hamlet, & DST- Yes Wendy would have Originally thought newer players the importance of certain gameplay features.

fun fact: I actually learned how to kite enemy mobs to other players thanks to Wendy needing to run the mobs to Abigail in solo DS.

In DST however: Wendys Rework changed that, new players ARENT thinking hey wait a minute… if I can chase this rabbit towards this ghost to kill it, then maybe when I’m playing as Wilson if I chase this rabbit towards this grass trap.. 

Wendy in DST was instead changed so much that all you really need to do is toggle Abigail on or off in certain situations. Which I “guess” might teach players what areas of the game they will want a riled Abby or a calmed one in..

But let’s be honest here- A newer player just keeps her in riled mode 24/7, it’s literally WHY other players can walk up to and smack Abigail to force her Despawn, because that “Wendy” player isn’t going to know any better.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wendy in DST was instead changed so much that all you really need to do is toggle Abigail on or off in certain situations. Which I “guess” might teach players what areas of the game they will want a riled Abby or a calmed one in..

But let’s be honest here- A newer player just keeps her in riled mode 24/7, it’s literally WHY other players can walk up to and smack Abigail to force her Despawn, because that “Wendy” player isn’t going to know any better.

Fortunately even if you do things wrong with her or “noobish” her core gameplay doesn’t really hurt anyone, so thats a point in her favor as a new player friendly character.

I mean compare it with the webber bringing 200 spiders to base, lagging everyone, then himself DCing because of lag. That’s always fun.

8 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Fortunately even if you do things wrong with her or “noobish” her core gameplay doesn’t really hurt anyone

you can accidentally kill someone's beefalo

8 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I mean compare it with the webber bringing 200 spiders to base, lagging everyone, then himself DCing because of lag

that's just webber and wurt if she didn't get a merm king and you usually get much less merms in comparison to the amount of spiders that you'd usually get from even a few tier 3 spider dens so there's no lag                               

5 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Fortunately even if you do things wrong with her or “noobish” her core gameplay doesn’t really hurt anyone, so thats a point in her favor as a new player friendly character.

I mean compare it with the webber bringing 200 spiders to base, lagging everyone, then himself DCing because of lag. That’s always fun.

i love it when webbers spider starting other people at base and they are clueless about it

4 hours ago, Szczuku said:

No, silly, Wilson is the starting character!

That's why he was stripped off of a proper rework or a meaningful skill tree! Remember?

brain washing!

I don't understand how Wigfrid ignores fundamentals when Abigail will solo every combat encounter new players are likely to experience. Wendy literally does not have to engage with the combat system at all and can just watch Abigail fight things for her. 

4 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I assume they mean Wigrid's ability to heal and gain sanity in combat.

But Wendy doesn't need to heal at all because she doesn't get hit in the first place, and her sanity resistance combined with distance from mobs negates a lot of the drain other characters would suffer. Wigfrid just uses less resources for combat, she still has to actually engage with the combat system. 

I agree. Another thing is that a lot of people who do over-rely on Abi wouldn't just magically get better at the game if Wendy wasn't in it, they'd just quit, or find another thing to rely on. Not everyone plays to "get good" and become an epic gamer™, and that's ok!

I personally think we take a lil bit too long to realize how gather is important in the game when we are newcomers grabbing ash/pine cones/petals and havin no space whatsoever for what actually matters cuz chopping logs to stack boards not only take too long but also doesnt look like the way to go, u dont know how much u need gold till u do like 5 trips to mosaic cuz u didnt get enough in the first trip and yall know how we do short travels cuz everything feels hard and scary at the point we not risking go out base as much or for so long

so I would put woodie in that category not only cuz gatherer but moose idol feels safe now after the skill treesI always recomend him instead.

As a relatively new player who started with Wendy, I think she’s a great beginner character.

When I first started, Abigail kept me safe long enough to learn about the survival mechanics of the game. She made me feel confident enough to explore new areas. I learned about kiting mobs into Abigail and the value of indirect combat, which I still use a lot. And once I was sure I could survive indefinitely, I started exploring more of the direct combat. With Wendy, it felt a bit like being thrown into the deep end. I couldn’t keep Abigail alive, so I had to learn how to kite.

Now that I can kite most mobs and a lot of the bosses by myself, I’ve been working on fighting while managing Abigail. I think it’s made me a lot better at analyzing and understanding the mechanics of the fights. And now when I play other characters, I just get to focus on having fun with their specific gameplay.

Obviously my experiences are not universal, but there’s also nothing wrong with having fun, easy characters for casual players. And Abigail isn’t as insanely OP as people here seem to think, especially when you’re brand new. She can be very helpful in the early game (and she scales well in the right hands), but newbies will also spend a lot of time with a Level 1 Abby getting wrecked by everything. It balances out, imo. It’s just about not falling into the trap of relying on her too much.

On 12/28/2023 at 2:08 AM, Cheggf said:

I don't understand how Wigfrid ignores fundamentals when Abigail will solo every combat encounter new players are likely to experience. Wendy literally does not have to engage with the combat system at all and can just watch Abigail fight things for her. 

with wendy you have to worry about health management and sanity too even with abigail, even if you completely rely on abigail for combat if she dies it over, wigfrid doesn't have to worry about that as long as she is hitting the target, ignoring health management is not gud.

On 12/28/2023 at 2:52 AM, GenomeSquirrel said:

I assume they mean Wigrid's ability to heal and gain sanity in combat.

yes

On 12/28/2023 at 6:00 AM, Jakepeng99 said:

I see alot of Wendy mains who play for ages but are still are useless in combat because of abigail though.

i don't doubt that happens, people relying on mechanics as a crutch instead of actually learning stuff happens with every character in existance tho, wolfgangs double damage, rushing ruins only with wx, combat only with wendy, going through winter only with beard, playing only with wigfrid.

On 12/28/2023 at 7:37 AM, Cheggf said:

But Wendy doesn't need to heal at all because she doesn't get hit in the first place, and her sanity resistance combined with distance from mobs negates a lot of the drain other characters would suffer. Wigfrid just uses less resources for combat, she still has to actually engage with the combat system. 

if wendy is against a single target enemy be it a boss or a beefalo and abigail is tanking all the hits thats gonna cause serious damage because npc damage is higher than player damage. most mobs that offer sanity drain have heavy single target damage, so having abigail take them on her own is a serious mistake made by low knowledge players. wigfrid can gain recourses from combat, she doesn't engage with the combat system completely for not having to worry about health and sanity management, as long as she hits the threat she doesn't worry about health.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:15 AM, skile said:

I agree. Another thing is that a lot of people who do over-rely on Abi wouldn't just magically get better at the game if Wendy wasn't in it, they'd just quit, or find another thing to rely on. Not everyone plays to "get good" and become an epic gamer™, and that's ok!

true, not everyone wants to be an epic gamer, so fuelweaver go **** yourself ill never forget you for making my solo experiences miserable thats why i like your lunar cousing 10x more

On 12/28/2023 at 11:28 PM, The Starver said:

I have never understood why people call Wigfrid easy. I die more as Wigfrid than most other characters. I am a proud Wilson main, though, so I guess I’m biased. 

you die more as her because you either get in more stupid situations because you are playing wigfrid, and think she will carry you through bad odds, or you... have a skill issue.

On 12/29/2023 at 4:31 AM, landromat said:

you'll never learn how to combat by playing wendy. 90% wendy players i saw rely on abigail completely, and die quickly if they lost her

unfortunately refusing to learn combat is a bad habit wendy players do. but a lot of encounters are not made trivial with abigail, just putting abigail against a beffalo will kill her, or any heavy hitting attack, abigail takes extra damage for being a mob. they normally dont learn combat against mobs which i can't judge because spiders and splumonkeys are things i wish i could get in a room and light it on fire, wendy skill issue is very common, but tell me about a beginner character being a crutch for beginners, right?

On 12/29/2023 at 1:57 PM, Echsrick said:

i do think shes like a "noob trap" kinda character given the ghost does do most of the danger away

dumbasses will let the ghost **** things up. a true beginner trap is called walter.

On 12/29/2023 at 11:53 PM, cybers2001 said:

so she always has that spot for me.

cute

On 12/30/2023 at 9:48 PM, MrsBoris said:

you die more as her because you either get in more stupid situations because you are playing wigfrid, and think she will carry you through bad odds, or you... have a skill issue.

It's a skill issue.

Archived