Do you think abusive glitches should be patched?

Do you think abusive glitches should be patched?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think abusive glitches should be patched?

• Yes
    • No

Klei has patched abusive glitches in the past like drowning bosses to 1 hit kill them, or that boat glitch that allowed ppl to have an invincible boat on land that stuck everything to it.

I know several boss cheeses, resource dupes that are ignored by the devs when they are probably just as abusive as the ones that i mentioned them patching.

My question is would u guys like for the devs to patch them? I think some glitches are ok but some of them are really abusive and should definitely be patched imo.

Yes, absolutely.

HOWEVER.

They need to be replaced with something fun that makes up for them gameplay wise.
AG was totally reworked and made awesome.
If something like void walking is removed, I'd want to make up for it with cave bridges/tunnels. Stuff like that.
Don't patch for the sake of patching.

• Like 27

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

If something like void walking is removed, I'd want to make up for it with cave bridges/tunnels

more importantly, add a consistent way to locate atrium, make it so the atrium can only connect to a muddy biome tentapillar at least     

imo there's no need to patch stuff as long as the glitches don't affect people that don't want to use them, e.g. if you don't like void walking, you can simply not void walk, and if you don't like blocking enemies using things that can't be destroyed by most enemies, you can not do this                                                                 

Edited by grm9
  • Like 7

There should be a "I don't care" option because, as far as the glitch/cheese/whatever doesn't affect me, i dont care them.

I prefer klei delivering content than fixing how TheMoustache88's fans play the game (which can break the game depending of what they touch)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, -Variant said:

Yes, absolutely.

HOWEVER.

They need to be replaced with something fun that makes up for them gameplay wise.
AG was totally reworked and made awesome.
If something like void walking is removed, I'd want to make up for it with cave bridges/tunnels. Stuff like that.

Exactly this. I slightly think still "Cheese" should be excluded. Like I use statues to farm spiders loot. 

• Big Ups 1

I mean - if something is actually a bug in code it should be fixed.  Bugs lead to improper interactions - balance aside - because its literally not how the game is coded to work.  They can cause instability and make it difficult to build new things around existing bugs.

So yes - if there is a bug it should be patched.

BUT dev time is not infinite.  Bugs should be prioritized by how negatively they affect the game.  The boat glitch obviously caused a lot of issues with game stability by forcing may prefabs into a small area, and bosses dying from being dropped in water was obviously an oversight that trashes their ability to continue developing bosses.  It was good to fix these.

Some bugs are not very destructive to the game such as Z axis bugs or void walking.  IF something happens and Klei gets to these on the list, c’est la vie...  but if they're jumping ahead to that when there are actual things to do that would just seem spiteful.  Bugs are basically infinite, so there is no real good reason to waste time on a benign bug.

What annoys me is when things that aren't bugs get "fixed" like removing collision from Klaus sack but ONLY for Klaus.  It was not a bug and was a skillful interaction.  Huge dumps on that change.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, arubaro said:

I wouldn't describe it like that 

I would.  Knowing when he's going to dash, getting him trapped on the collision without slipping by, being able to attack him after without the deer getting at you.  There is a lot cooked into that little interaction.  Calling it skill-less is horribly reductionist.

1 minute ago, Yuuko said:

I would.  Knowing when he's going to dash, getting him trapped on the collision without slipping by, being able to attack him after without the deer getting at you.  There is a lot cooked into that little interaction.  Calling it skill-less is horribly reductionist.

I don't see how lining with him with the sack between was skillful. At most it rewarded not skillful players killing him without a magi... oh, and players holding F as Wanda for the most skilled and fun experience of being AFK (don't get why someone picks a glass cannon to do such things)

Made no sense and was annoying because you needed to fight a little far from the sack so he wouldn't get stuck

6 hours ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

...resource dupes...

So... you want the only thing that makes Construction Amulets and Deconstruction Staffs good/worthwhile removed?

6 hours ago, grm9 said:

...the glitches don't affect people that don't want to use them, e.g. if you don't like void walking, you can simply not void walk...

Oh, but it isn't directly related to your experience, solely about imposing onto others your play-style. "See that Wilson using Voidpath to shorten distances? GRRR, damn 'im, how can he not just walk around like he's supposed to? Bollocks! I can't stand it, my game's ruined and day saddened immeasurably, that's not how game works, blatant abuse is very blatant, my moral compass and envy absolutely don't let me let it be!" - on last Endless pub I've played some time ago I had a chump coming again and again to my secluded Cave's minicamp and 1st burning my Abyss Gate I deployed to shorten distance towards closest shard exit, then hammering my aesthetic build around it, followed by making "middle fingers" with walls in its stead (to be frank I found it quite funny, albeit still griefing) and ending with him looting my chests, taking my Thule Suits, Hibearnation Vest, Dreadstone stack and more, burning my plants I was saving for later farm setup plus other shenanigans. Wonderful lad. I've left signs that if he continues (by then was I believe the 4th time he trolled my base as described above), I'll have to report him to the server's group for griefing. In no short wordings he left back other signs calling me slurs among the recurrent "you a $hit cheater, game $hit player" tired tirade that's the mantra of such people from what I get, like DST is some CS:GO competitive play and I've been using wall-hacks or something to deprive the lad of his "skills' kills", eh. The even more comedic aspect is... we didn't interact almost at all when we were playing there; yet was he who, upon discovering my camp, started using it like his own undergarments (from what I get he was "nomad-ing").

All-in-all I don't really care about patching or not run-of-the-mill glitches; yes, in theory for game's health would be good if any-and-all bugs could be "squashed". In practice many glitches give rise to the "emergent game-play" KLei prouded themselves in past in regards to DST's loop. If, for example, baiting mechanic would be fixed all DST farms will go out with it and general players' goals/setups so much more diminished. Still, objectively game-breaking bugs like drowning bosses for 1-click victory or duping AG Chest by using Glands on dying monster to obtain huge amounts of goodies ... yeah, that kind of stuff clearly needs patching when arising. Or, as OP stated, the "land boating" to move everything in its path, destroying Glommer Statue with boats, etc.

Edited by MostMerryTomcat

11 minutes ago, arubaro said:

I don't see how lining with him with the sack between was skillful. At most it rewarded not skillful players killing him without a magi... oh, and players holding F as Wanda for the most skilled and fun experience of being AFK (don't get why someone picks a glass cannon to do such things)

Made no sense and was annoying because you needed to fight a little far from the sack so he wouldn't get stuck

I mean - lets start with a simple framework.

Skillful - doing something that requires knowing what you're doing, and executing it.

Can you mess up getting the sack between you and Klaus in such a way that he can slip by the sack and still hit you, or have the deer positioned where you cannot get an attack on him anyway?

What's you're answer for that?

As an aside - Wanda can still do Wanda things.  The sack was not critical to her fight v Klaus, and this sack change did nothing significant to her.  If that is any justification of this change it is simply, wholly off base.

12 hours ago, -Variant said:

Ah Tunnels. I remember when there were cave walls. I am both glad they are gone but also miss them somewhat.

It would depend on what you mean by abusive glitches, if you mean something such as instantly turning celestial champion into a pulp by somehow making your weapon deal 25k damage under a very specific interaction then sure go ahead, but if you mean stuff like dragonfly walls then no.

Let me explain, dragonfly is absolutely horrible to fight by letting lavae loose, she is somewhat of an ok boss when those things are not in the equation though always bring some panflutes with you.

Some "cheesing" is done because of how annoying doing certain things is, walking to atrium is extremely dumb because you gotta walk to that one tentapillar that happens to bring you there and then go through the entire maze, people voidwalk to avoid the annoying trip and currently I do not do that although it is because in our world we have a quite strange yet effective legal way of going to atrium with intended game mechanics.

Before considering patching the cheese alternatives to these annoying things I would suggest that there has to be some changes made to the thing in question or better transportation methods depending on what it is.

For something such as voidwalking it'd be making focus work in caves and also make it better, you'd still need to go through the thing at least once but when you do so you got a clear path for future fuelweaver kills.

For dragonfly you'd have to change how the boss works which I guess was quite obvious.

I am not sure what you mean by item duping given I've not seen a similar thing before unless you mean using construction amulet + deconstruction staff, which is an intended use for those items.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CuteC said:

Let me explain, dragonfly is absolutely horrible to fight by letting lavae loose, she is somewhat of an ok boss when those things are not in the equation though always bring some panflutes with you.

Is literally hitting them 3 times with an ice staff. how is that horrible while being afk minimum 3 times while she spawns them is "ok"?

1 minute ago, arubaro said:

Is literally hitting them 3 times with an ice staff. how is that horrible while being afk minimum 3 times while she spawns them is "ok"?

She has a billion HP and dealing with those things extends the fight a lot, also they still like really hate you and kind of burn, this game has the problem of not having a lot of options when more than 2 things decide to punch you.

43 minutes ago, CuteC said:

this game has the problem of not having a lot of options when more than 2 things decide to punch you

bramble husk, shadow prison, abigail, bunnymen, brightshade staff, pan flute, going away which works in all cases except dfly, catapults etc. are enough options imo

She has a billion HP and dealing with those things extends the fight a lot

it takes about the same amount of time if you freeze all lavaes after they spawn so you only need to tank/shoot dfly and dodge one hit after the last lavae spawns, then it's the same in comparison to a fight with walls except there isn't a chance that it'll summon lavaes again despite not going to the next hp threshold 

they still like really hate you and kind of burn

you can freeze them from far away because shooting projectiles doesn't require you to be in melee range   

43 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

I want them to patch the wicker bottom fish farm

just don't use it, why prevent people that use it from having fun by removing it if it doesn't affect you?

Edited by grm9
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, CuteC said:

She has a billion HP and dealing with those things extends the fight a lot, also they still like really hate you and kind of burn, this game has the problem of not having a lot of options when more than 2 things decide to punch you

You never tried but despite that you throw false claims. I will never understand this behavior which is common in the forum

It doesnt take more time because walling the lavaes can lead to DF spawning more waves which, surprise,  increase the time of the fight. You can also hit her while she is spawning the lavaes which, surprise,  leads to a shorter fight

This game has many options when it comes to "2 things punching you": fire, freezing, sleep or getting good. But there is good new, you don't have to fight 2 lavae at the same time because you freeze them with a range freezing staff, you only deal with the last lavae and dragon fly but simply put her to sleep and kill the lavae, you needed that pan flute use to calm her enrage form anyways so you are making the fight easier and safer since you prevent her engaging 

Next time talk about stuff you experience, there are people that didn't experience the fight because is new and false this like that might discourage them to try things

• Like 1