Controlled Burning

I'm wrapping up with my final posts. I want to go over my last concerns now.

Burning Frenzy still comes packaged in with non-spreading fires. A lot of people, including myself, are still looking for a way around this! 
Currently there's no way to start non-controlled fires without needing to go out of your way to build an entire campfire or use the new spells, which cost their own skill points.

Is there any possibility we'd be able to get a way to manually opt out of these controlled fires? Double right click? Something else?
I love the non-burning loot and fire upgrades but I almost don't want to invest in them due to the drawbacks of how Controlled burning currently works.
image.png.05c1e961ab2d349bb29d924e84086c2b.png

Personally, I haven't found situations where I want my fires to spread while playing Willow in the beta. So controlled burning seems fine to me as it is. That being said, I could see controlled burning only applying to her lighter and spells being a thing. Using a fire staff or torch as Willow could spread like normal.

I still think it's a part of necessary evil, keeping enemies you burn from spreading that fire everywhere else

I would like away around this, but I wouldn't want to lose fighting with fire in base (everywhere with burnable structures really) with it, so it needs something unique about it, toggle, special item, ect

Just now, GimplyGoose said:

Personally, I haven't found situations where I want my fires to spread while playing Willow in the beta. So controlled burning seems fine to me as it is. That being said, I could see controlled burning only applying to her lighter and spells being a thing. Using a fire staff or torch as Willow could spread like normal.

As long as the fire staff does NOT do this to mobs I'm all in.

But I personally never wait for fires to spread when I'm burning a bunch of trees down, I manually set each one on fire because smouldering takes forever and causes them to burn out of sync with each other which makes it harder to save the charcoal that gets plucked off from burning.  Fires don't spread as easily as they did in SP so I don't see why people want to spread them when it's just faster to manually light each tree on fire.

• Developer

This was something we thought about during the design. It was our hope those ways around it you suggest would be sufficient for the times you want a wild fire. Fire Ball being the main one, and to some extent Flame Cast can catch an area. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

This was something we thought about during the design. It was our hope those ways around it you suggest would be sufficient for the times you want a wild fire. Fire Ball being the main one, and to some extent Flame Cast can catch an area. 

Heya Jason! I appreciate these replies vastly, I saw your other one, too.
I'm loving these blurbs of insight. Please keep them up, they're super helpful!

I hope this can be taken as some minor feedback, in that case. I do believe they work, but I think it can be better!

Using the spells work, but I still believe some other form should be included with the main skill, as both Fire Ball and Flame Cast are lighter skills others may not have enough points to, or don't want to invest in those skills as they are aiming for a heavy Bernie build.
I'm hoping at least one more method may be able to be included, if not now, in the future possibly. It'd be nice and streamlined.

8 hours ago, O_Atoba_Azul said:

I'd love to see the option to manually set uncontrolled without the spells, maybe a way to stoke the flames to make the fire uncontrolled by setting the thing on fire again.

Maybe it could be even more wild than normal fires, spreading much faster.

I personally prefer this way that she does not spread fire, it has a lot of benefits compared to spreading them. I'm actually confused on why this is such a big thing, do people farm charcoal on a daily basis? I rarely find myself wanting to spread fire other than the first few days for crockpot building. Eben if you would want a massive amount of charcoal from time to time, the fireball spell seems like a decent tradeoff for fire spreading already. That, or have your friends torch the trees, if you have any XD

45 minutes ago, BB Marioni said:

I personally prefer this way that she does not spread fire, it has a lot of benefits compared to spreading them. I'm actually confused on why this is such a big thing, do people farm charcoal on a daily basis? I rarely find myself wanting to spread fire other than the first few days for crockpot building. Eben if you would want a massive amount of charcoal from time to time, the fireball spell seems like a decent tradeoff for fire spreading already. That, or have your friends torch the trees, if you have any XD

True. 

59 minutes ago, BB Marioni said:

I'm actually confused on why this is such a big thing, do people farm charcoal on a daily basis?

Depends on how you like to play with fire, aha. I had another friend ask me the same thing, but I'm always starting fires, I love constantly closing areas off and letting them spread. Especially in Winter, I do it a lot.

The upside to having fires not spread is still there, but I just find needing the ember spells to get around it to be a bit more cumbersome than I'd like in frequent bursts. Maybe it's something I'll need to get used to as its gotten in the way of my instinctual habit a few times now.
I just hope for an option around it that doesn't involve needing to swap to the spells is all, honestly.

I kinda wish the 1 ember cast would do normal fire that can spread.  The fireball spreading is a bit suspect b/c it costs more embers and stays around for a day.  I might need to cast multiple times to get a forest going.  imo it seems like what the 1 ember cast should do.

They could make it so that torches always light normal fires regardless is you unlocked controller burning or not

Or you have to light things on fire twice to achieve the normal fire. The first attempt with controlled burning unlocked would set the controller fire and if you set it on fire again while it’s still burning then that would result in normal fire which spreads like normal.
Although this may result in some unwanted casualties in combat  when reapplying the fire before the creature extinguishes IF this would also apply to it (it shouldn’t) but just to be save I’d say go with the torch solution as it might be easier to implement and nobody uses the torch in combat as Willow so it wouldn’t matter a lot if it also set normal fires there

(This may have been suggested by someone before, but I can’t remember who, so feel free to take credit if you see this post whoever you are)

Even though from the gameplay reasons controlled fires (majority of the time) are preferred to standard ones, I would still love more options. Mainly because the whole concept of a fire being "controlled" in such a simple way with no input from the player other than getting the skill rubs me the wrong way. Not because it's too strong or anything but mainly because for me it just seems like it goes against chaotic nature of fire itself a bit too much. After all why wouldn't pyromaniac like Willow want to spread fires as much as possible? She even gets a little sad when she has to smolder the extinguishing one. (Not to mention controlled fires simply look weaker but are required for your fire to be stronger against creatures, that's kinda weird) 

Again, from the whole gameplay perspective controlled fires are kinda better for players but I would really appreciate an option to "toggle" them somehow or make it less inconvenient to start normal ones. 

Archived