Varg farms are out of control

Ever since the dawn of time, the hound teeth was seen as the rubbish many players don't know what to do with, especially for those who deploy varg farms. From the sea of gems they get, the teeth are unwanted by-products that can't even be burned.

But all have changed in this update beta, when that "firearm" thing was added, Planar damage blow dart!

This buffs the usefulness of varg farm so much that the gems are now by-products instead. 

I think this is one of the reason why Klei have to introduce glass shard rain to counter it. Killing the varg or its live bait would terminate the farm, although shadow umbralla would still negate this glass rain threat rather effectively. 

New ways of using the abundant hound teeth are welcome, but it becomes problematic when it becomes overly powerful.

Thus, I shall chant the forbidden incantation:

I think glass rain should be stronger. Or the varg farm should be changed to make it more maintenance demanding, less resource yielding so players won't run wild with funny blow darts go toot toot 

That's it. I'm out. I have struck the wasp hive and now I must run away from the angry comments, and never return. 

Oh, one last thing, I think polar bearger bin is pretty practical and so is the cold deerclop structure thing. They are both pretty strong already and any more buffs would be ridiculous.

K I really gotta run now bye

I mean glass rain is still countered by the waterlogged trees, so just set up your farm under one. But yeah I'm about to go ham with the new blow dart when the update drops, gotta have fun beforehand just incase something about the weapon gets nerfed

Just now, finn from human said:

varg farms are the most annoying thing in the world to make and have so many moving parts to them. if you go through that effort in an end game setting and one end game weapon gets stronger for it, that's completely fine

Moreso now that you can't use houndius to bait the vargs.

12 minutes ago, The Box said:

I think this is one of the reason why Klei have to introduce glass shard rain to counter it. Killing the varg or its live bait would terminate the farm, although shadow umbralla would still negate this glass rain threat rather effectively. 

I really don't think that Lunar Hail damaging mobs is in any way connected to Klei wanting to nerf Varg farms. I think this is a bit of a reach to be honest.. You can get a frankly stupid amount of hoods teeth even without a Varg Farm simply from Hound Waves, setting up Hound Mound farms etc. You can just put Fossils around a Hound Mound and put a Houndius or two nearby and you get a ton of hounds teeth. 
As mentioned above you can also just make a Varg farm underneath a big fig tree and you're golden. 

As @finn from humansaid I usually don't even bother setting up a varg farm until im at day 1000+. Why should farms be nerfed just because hound's tooth is worth something now?

The worst case scenario is for lunar hail stays as is but it won't affect any new varg farms as we will build them under knobby tree.

It is endgame weapon and it should feel like it, why shouldn't we have something like that in game? Hound's tooth will still be required so it will not be endless ranged weapon as you will need to farm more at some point when there are already better alternatives when it comes to melee/small range weapons (Wanda).

I actually like this a lot because it made hound's tooth a much more valuable resource, before this update I didn't even bother collecting it unless I am playing on a private server so I could swap to Wilson and make bone shards.

Am I the devil if I want any captured mob that’s in a pen that is capable of Lunar Mutation to Mutate? :wilson_evil:
I mean.. If a Pigman is outside of his home on a Fullmoon that homeboy becomes a Werepig. And while the “Experts” see that as a good thing, just watch how many newbies get ripped to shreds by it!!

I think it would be funny, and perhaps even cute if Varg Farms, Koelaphant farms, and Grass Gecko Farms Mutated into something Else, we already know what a Varg mutates into.. But Grass Gex could maybe turn into a Crossover mob from Klei’s own game franchise- Griftlands.

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Am I the devil if I want any captured mob that’s in a pen that is capable of Lunar Mutation to Mutate? :wilson_evil:
I mean.. If a Pigman is outside of his home on a Fullmoon that homeboy becomes a Werepig. And while the “Experts” see that as a good thing, just watch how many newbies get ripped to shreds by it!!

I think it would be funny, and perhaps even cute if Varg Farms, Koelaphant farms, and Grass Gecko Farms Mutated into something Else, we already know what a Varg mutates into.. But Grass Gex could maybe turn into a Crossover mob from Klei’s own game franchise- Griftlands.

Mike - question. Have you ever set up a big grass gecko pen or varg farm? 

Also koalafant farms aren't really a thing unless it's for manure but that's pretty inefficient, I'm guessing you just mean pens.

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

And while the “Experts” see that as a good thing

You don't need to be an "expert", pigs drop one meat or one pigskin, werepigs drop two meat and a pigskin - simple as that. Also Werepigs are easier to kite.

2 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Mike - question. Have you ever set up a big grass gecko pen or varg farm? 

Also koalafant farms aren't really a thing unless it's for manure but that's pretty inefficient, I'm guessing you just mean pens.

You don't need to be an "expert", pigs drop one meat or one pigskin, werepigs drop two meat and a pigskin - simple as that.

Actually well uhm yes.

And also I built one with these little guys before too:

IMG_4080.gif.e1a7e7c0610f5dd615c508a925ba3098.gif

this pen got destroyed when Brightshades started spawning in it but ehh.. that’s just how the game works *shrugs*

If lunar hail is buffed to be more destructive against mob farm then there would be 2 likely outcomes:

Enable rift -> Acquire new blow dart -> Disable rift
Or
AFK until this game is playable for long term players again (which should be never, muhahaha :devilish:)

I don't see the point of making life difficult for long term players when the recent updates can only be accessed by long term players(unless toggle world settings).

Actually kind of torn on this, but I'm just biased against ranged weapons. I really don't want the Howitzer to be taking such a strong lead in the weapons department, or any ranged weapon so would be kinda fine removing the Varg farm. On the other hand if a player is going to farm multiple houndius to mass-produce a resource with a method that has been around for years they should be able to as well.

I just hate the howitzer...not the varg farms. This isn't really my fight lol.

3 minutes ago, cropo said:

Actually kind of torn on this, but I'm just biased against ranged weapons. I really don't want the Howitzer to be taking such a strong lead in the weapons department, or any ranged weapon so would be kinda fine removing the Varg farm. On the other hand if a player is going to farm multiple houndius to mass-produce a resource with a method that has been around for years they should be able to as well.

I just hate the howitzer...not the varg farms. This isn't really my fight lol.

I mean.. am I the only one who wants a Varg I’ve penned up to mutate and blow fire to destroy the pen I captured it inside of? I see him as being no different than Brightshades invading my empty plot of tilled soil that doesn’t even have a single seed planted in it.

12 minutes ago, _zwb said:

If lunar hail is buffed to be more destructive against mob farm then there would be 2 likely outcomes:

Enable rift -> Acquire new blow dart -> Disable rift
Or
AFK until this game is playable for long term players again (which should be never, muhahaha :devilish:)

I don't see the point of making life difficult for long term players when the recent updates can only be accessed by long term players(unless toggle world settings).

In the above Gif I posted, Brightshades destroyed that pen (because the ground is filled soil using a garden Rigamajig) And up until Brightshades were added to the game I did not have that problem.

HOWEVER, I can Always Roll the world back prior to the Brightshades destroying the pen & then exit the game to disable Brightshades if I want to keep that pen looking nice and pretty.

In short: it allows me to base build when I WANT to Base Build, and when I want Brightshades to infest and potentially destroy it again I can just toggle them back on later.

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Actually well uhm yes.

this pen got destroyed when Brightshades started spawning in it but ehh.. that’s just how the game works *shrugs*

Do you really want your gecko and varg farms to just be obliterated moving forwards?

You could still make a Carrat and... Telltale Hearts? (decoration I guess) pen btw just don't use farm soil/turf and brightshades won't invade. As long as you also don't put berry bushes... or grass or other replantable plants..

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

In short: it allows me to base build when I WANT to Base Build, and when I want Brightshades to infest and potentially destroy it again I can just toggle them back on later.

Not if you want to include Grass Tufts, Berry Bushes, Saplings or Farm Plants in any of your base builds. 

30 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Do you really want your gecko and varg farms to just be obliterated moving forwards?

You could still make a Carrat and... Telltale Hearts? (decoration I guess) pen btw just don't use farm soil/turf and brightshades won't invade. As long as you also don't put berry bushes... or grass or other replantable plants..

Not if you want to include Grass Tufts, Berry Bushes, Saplings or Farm Plants in any of your base builds. 

That’s literally what I just said though? I turn off Brightshades when I don’t want to Deal With Brightshades, Yes I suppose that prevents me from getting Husks or Whatever.. but when I need more, I’ll turn Brightshade spawning back on.

In a way it’s exploiting the game to do what you want it to when you want it to without using Admin Console commands or Mods.

When I want Brightshades to invade my stuff and be the annoyance they’re programmed to be, I’ll toggle them back on, if however I just want to build a small graveyard using Rigamajig tilled soil to build my graveyard, I’ll turn the Brightshades Off.

24 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

When I want Brightshades to invade my stuff and be the annoyance they’re programmed to be, I’ll toggle them back on, if however I just want to build a small graveyard using Rigamajig tilled soil to build my graveyard, I’ll turn the Brightshades Off.

You can always just dig up any weeds that appear there regularly and it should keep brightshades out

Would be cool if we could salt farm tiles to stop anything ever growing there if you just want them as decoration but I'm sure that would lead to grieving issues.. people salting other people's farm tiles and effecting destroying them.. maybe a single water from a watering can could wash the salt away. 

there is one flaw in your (absurd) argument, once a Varg dies to the lunar hail (given the requirements to the lunar hail), the varg will be revived as a Lunar Varg, that spawns hounds that have the chance to revive and produce more teeth, also, the Varg will be invulnerable to lunar hail.

2 minutes ago, Valase said:

Lunar Varg

The problem is lunar varg's fire breath damages walls, so if your bait is close enough to the varg it'll use the fire breath and break the whole varg farm. Also lunar vargs aggro onto each other, another way to break the farm.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean.. am I the only one who wants a Varg I’ve penned up to mutate and blow fire to destroy the pen I captured it inside of? I see him as being no different than Brightshades invading my empty plot of tilled soil that doesn’t even have a single seed planted in it.

In the above Gif I posted, Brightshades destroyed that pen (because the ground is filled soil using a garden Rigamajig) And up until Brightshades were added to the game I did not have that problem. 

This is not how brightshades work. They invade plants (farm crops, weeds, saplings, grass tufts, berry bushes) but not the empty tilled soil. If it happened, there probably were weeds in it that you didn't see behind brightshades. Also on your gif the pen is not destroyed and there are no brightshades in it.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Actually well uhm yes.

how arent you bored playing almost 200 days without killing a single boss or going to the ruins? i think that is the problem, you are bored of being in the same 4 seasons and you want what others do to have fun be ruined with that mutation for critters in pens suggestion or mindless destruction...

Mutated Hounds give two guaranteed hounds teeth while regular hounds only have a 12.5% chance to drop one.

So the idea that one of glass rain's purposes is to terminate varg farms is silly, it buffs them if anything! And lunar creatures can not be hurt by hail. I did some test farms and it seemingly works out pretty well. There are certainly more risks but its managable to work around, and get what, a 200%+ efficiency in tooth drops? :D

Archived