Varg farms are out of control

1 hour ago, chaosmonkey said:

Beyond what's been said in this thread already, DST is a game that rewards emergent game play from combining different game loops. The varg farm is one of the peak examples of this. Klei, from what I've seen, really likes this sort of emergent game play.

It’s hard to really tell where Klei stands on it though, I mean they let Klaus get stuck on his own loot stash for many many years and people used that exploit thinking it was part of how the fight was supposed to be done, until Klei out of nowhere many years later decides to patch what they considered an Exploit so he finally steps over and doesn’t get hung up on his loot stash.

Something as Big as and as Hostile as a Varg, or even a panicky Koelaphant should (probably) be able to break fences & walls.

But like I said- we don’t know what Klei’s “Intended” gameplay for something is until it gets patched.

Im personally expecting any day now they’ll get around to patching placing Lureplants on a Boat Deck.

37 minutes ago, Well-met said:

here's a more efficient idea: make vargs bite walls like every mob should

Yeah these varg farms... while efficient at doing what they do. Are so dumb looking. I would rather cheat in hounds teeth and gems using commands than make these glitchy "farms".

How to destroy the aesthetic of DST 101: Abuse pathfinding :wilson_ecstatic:

9 hours ago, The Box said:

New ways of using the abundant hound teeth are welcome, but it becomes problematic when it becomes overly powerful.

I don’t get why the forums believe adding a ranged weapon that’s like 10 times as cumbersome to use then conventional melee weapons is considered overpowered beyond belief.

Like yes, it’s really good compared to our current subset of ranged weapons, but you still need to think about the weapon’s use long term. If you want to kill a boss, you need to prepare multiple stacks of hounds teeth. If you wanna kill bearger + armored bearger combined, you would need well over ~200 hounds teeth, compared to like, slightly  more than 1 brightshade sword/kit.

It’s also important to note that this is an endgame item. It’s not like you’re going to have this in the second winter to fight deerclops (and if you somehow do, you don’t need to use this).

Personally, I’ve got a 20x varg farm to produce all the teeth then I would realistically use, and I still don’t use the howlitzer as my main weapon. I much prefer to use it as a supplementary weapon (EX: killing mobs like ewecus to avoid the snot attack or targeting varglets in hound waves) then as a weapon I would constantly need to restock ammo for. It’s hard to justify carrying multiple stacks of hounds teeth when you could instead use 3 slots to supply a brightshade sword/helm and 10 repair kits and easily be set for any and all combat needs for a year.

1 hour ago, Gashzer said:

I would rather cheat in hounds teeth and gems using commands than make these glitchy "farms".

Ah, classic "I rather just cheat" statement. It baffles me how when Minecraft players make efficient mob farms by exploiting game mechanics people say it's great, brilliant design etc etc, but in don't Starve community it's some kind of sin to do so, and people would spam "why not just cheat" under videos about those.:wilson_curious:

Is there anything fundamentally wrong with using game mechanics to build mob farms?

Yeah these varg farms... while efficient at doing what they do. Are so dumb looking. I would rather cheat in hounds teeth and gems using commands than make these glitchy "farms".

Currently this powerful weapon has matched ammo consumption. If one don't build varg farms this weapon it totally useless, and if they do they must pay special efforts to study and to build.

And for the creepiest assumption, this weapon itself may stands for Klei being aware of and somehow "supportive" to varg(and every other) farms. This is the matter of game styles, and Klei may not want to deny any of the game styles.

the good part is that you and the other uMcOMpRoMiSInG user aren't forced to use them like i only did a singe varg farm and was to get a lot of moon rock and moonrock hound statues but you wont see me crying to devs to waste their time to change something just because other players do it

2 minutes ago, Fufuji said:

Currently this powerful weapon has matched ammo consumption. If one don't build varg farms this weapon it totally useless, and if they do they must pay special efforts to study and to build.

And for the creepiest assumption, this weapon itself may stands for Klei being aware of and somehow "supportive" to varg(and every other) farms. This is the matter of game styles, and Klei may not want to deny any of the game styles.

that is another thing. While is a safe to use weapon you only get 40% of dark sword uses per inventory slot... not great for people who dont need range combat to beat fights, i rather use brightshade sword with his 200 uses but what do you expect? half of the comments on this forum sre wrote without background testing...

1 hour ago, arubaro said:

the good part is that you and the other uMcOMpRoMiSInG user aren't forced to use them like i only did a singe varg farm and was to get a lot of moon rock and moonrock hound statues but you wont see me crying to devs to waste their time to change something just because other players do it

that is another thing. While is a safe to use weapon you only get 40% of dark sword uses per inventory slot... not great for people who dont need range combat to beat fights, i rather use brightshade sword with his 200 uses but what do you expect? half of the comments on this forum sre wrote without background testing...

Ughh Omg how hard is it to understand that I want content, and methods of interacting with content to WORK, but only up until I reach a certain point of the game where it Stops working..

It’s like playing a fighting game and only using the uppercut button, eventually a developer is going to look at it & be like: You know what? This truly is boring AF, And that’s when they Add Counters or Bounce back attacks so you can’t just keep doing the same thing over and over and over to win.

Same rules apply here- I want my Varg Farm to WORK up until they mutate into something more deadly and dangerous and smash themselves free of the pen I had built to contain them.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Im personally expecting any day now they’ll get around to patching placing Lureplants on a Boat Deck.

That is no different to placing lureplants on turf where they cannot form roots. except for the fact using boats is actually more dangerous because you may fall if you jump in the wrong spot.

3 hours ago, Gashzer said:

You can make farms good looking if you try to do so, I got a neat one set up using broken pillars, cotl turf, certain walls and fossils.

54 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Ughh Omg how hard is it to understand that I want content, and methods of interacting with content to WORK, but only up until I reach a certain point of the game where it Stops working..

Same rules apply here- I want my Varg Farm to WORK up until they mutate into something more deadly and dangerous and smash themselves free of the pen I had built to contain them.

Cool but you have to understand that if you take away a method of getting certain resources, you HAVE to give another one.

Besides, them going moon mode is no problem unless a varg dies which was already a problem cuz you have to find another.

Making something useful shouldn't justify nerfs.

Otherwise we trap ourselves in a cycle of always needing to nerf something to buff something else. The range weapon is justified and I think we can just leave it at that.

Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s like playing a fighting game and only using the uppercut button, eventually a developer is going to look at it & be like: You know what? This truly is boring AF, And that’s when they Add Counters or Bounce back attacks so you can’t just keep doing the same thing over and over and over to win.

is hard ti understand because makes no sense

the analogy has nothing to do with few players making a niche farm that you never tried to build but still want others experience being ruined cuz "destruction, flashy colours, explosions!!1!1!" instead of wanting challenges 

12 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

You can always just dig up any weeds that appear there regularly and it should keep brightshades out

10 hours ago, Lovens said:

(farm crops, weeds, saplings, grass tufts, berry bushes)

Little note, brightshades don't actually infest weeds! I've had a huge cluster of tillweeds as decor for a good 400+ days before, and brightshades would never go for them even when I let my entire grass and twig and berry farms get taken over.

4 minutes ago, finn from human said:

Little note, brightshades don't actually infest weeds! I've had a huge cluster of tillweeds as decor for a good 400+ days before, and brightshades would never go for them even when I let my entire grass and twig and berry farms get taken over.

They absolutely will go after weeds if there's nothing else in the world to infest. They are lower priority is all.

You can always just dig up any weeds that appear there regularly and it should keep brightshades out

Super tedious and not always possible if you're spending long periods in the caves

Would be cool if we could salt farm tiles to stop anything ever growing there if you just want them as decoration but I'm sure that would lead to grieving issues.. people salting other people's farm tiles and effecting destroying them.. maybe a single water from a watering can could wash the salt away. 

I like this idea! I would love to be able to decorate with the soil tiles.

20 minutes ago, chaosmonkey said:

They absolutely will go after weeds if there's nothing else in the world to infest. They are lower priority is all.

Lower priority than even natural plants...? The scenario I'm describing is that I had let brightshades take over every relocated plant in the world, and they started moving on to just 1-2 brightshades spawning at random natural grass tufts rather than my 40+ tillweeds.

11 minutes ago, finn from human said:

Lower priority than even natural plants...? The scenario I'm describing is that I had let brightshades take over every relocated plant in the world, and they started moving on to just 1-2 brightshades spawning at random natural grass tufts rather than my 40+ tillweeds.

Previously (in the main branch), the Brightshades were not infecting weeds. That was fixed in this beta.

Just now, finn from human said:

like... as in, an entire world's worth of natural plants would need to get taken over before brightshades target weeds, right?

I'm not seeing anything specifically stating so! I might be missing it, if there is. I'll go run some checks now and see what's up with it.

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

I'm not seeing anything specifically stating so! I might be missing it, if there is. I'll go run some checks now and see what's up with it.

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

Huh, apparently so. They're listed as targets for Lunarthrall plants. At least in the beta.

In the main branch, they are listed as a target for the Lunarthrall plants but they never actually infected weeds as per my tests.

But in the beta, there was a one line fix in the lunarthrall_plantspawner component in the very first patch of this beta that I am assuming fixed this issue.

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

Previously (in the main branch), the Brightshades were not infecting weeds. That was fixed in this beta.

From my tests (before I put my world in the beta), Brightshades would no target natural spawning weeds(even the ones that spawn from planted weeds), but would go for the ones from random seeds.

But in the beta, brightshades appear to target natural spawning weeds.

Archived