Suggestion: make the celestial portal work only once per player

4 minutes ago, cropo said:

I don't know I kind of agree with the other person on this part. Like on the most basic level you're right, they are technically comparable and you can beat the game with a spear but like....eh is that really the same thing in practice?

A logical upgrade to weaponry vs becoming batman and spending hours of prep time making an entire host character-specific stations and things you don't really need isn't something I would consider similar at all. If you're literally willing to spend that much time swapping characters back and fourth to make the ultimate killing machine then I'd honestly say more power to you.  Nerfing that would just be punishing everyone else for a lack of self control on your part.

There's certainly such thing as going too far, but I'm still mostly talking about the portal in relation to skill speccing (in relation to dead skills).

I suppose it could sorta apply to the classic swap to Warly swap to Wolf swap back. Three gems in that case.

Instead of outright removing it you could:

1. Make it only activate during a fullmoon/newmoon.
2. Make the Moonrock Idol recipe different.
3. Make the Celestial Portal upgrade require different things.
4. Have a unique solo event for the player who chooses to swap, upon beating it they can now swap.
5. Make the portal become uncharged upon use and it needs to recharge over a few days to be usable again.
6. The portal vanishes upon use and teleports to a random location, players have to find it again.

I don't know, just some ideas that are an alternative to just removing it.

Klei needs to fix all the pathfinding bugs first, statues/fossils working as better walls than the actual ingame walls or the voidwalking bug. Are far more game breaking than the celestial portal!

Forumites you guys are worrying about a mouse when a man-eating lion is in the room!

2 hours ago, Gashzer said:

statues/fossils working as better walls than the actual ingame walls

Not true, if you ever try to build a varg farm or any automation with statues/fossils in this game, you know the pain when hounds run through the statues while you leave(because unlike walls, statues have no collision unloaded).

3 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Klei needs to fix all the pathfinding bugs first, statues/fossils working as better walls than the actual ingame walls or the voidwalking bug. Are far more game breaking than the celestial portal!

Forumites you guys are worrying about a mouse when a man-eating lion is in the room!

“This thing cant get fixed until the thing I WANT fixed gets fixed >:(“

you’re not the main character guy, people have different priorities, especially since no, its really not a problem at all, and is pretty obviously purposefully allowed.

Oh also i’m not gonna re-write my whole post i made on general but:

the game is about characters and the celestial portal gives you the chance to change your character.

any imbalances of power are more theoretical than practical, as most ways to abuse said power aren’t actually used.

You could triple the cost, make it only happen on full moons, and require a unique raid boss kill, and a late game player will easily get it anyway.

so instead of trying to restrict late game players we just kind of accept that they’re playing in sandbox mode.

the main reason people use it is to switch from one character they like to another one they like, because most people dont want to cheese the game, and if they did, fire farms literally exist and are way better.

A lot of the people saying not to nerf the Celestial Portal are also the same ones complaining about things being too strong, usually things that require the Celestial Portal to actually do. :wilsonthinking:

22 hours ago, Prinha said:

Frequent and easy switching of characters has been part of DS and DST for a very long time.

You literally need to destroy an entire world to change characters in Don't Starve.

10 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

lot of the people saying not to nerf the Celestial Portal are also the same ones complaining about things being too strong, usually things that require the Celestial Portal to actually do. :wilsonthinking:

No they are not

27 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

A lot of the people saying not to nerf the Celestial Portal are also the same ones complaining about things being too strong, usually things that require the Celestial Portal to actually do. :wilsonthinking:

like who

41 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Why are you presenting your own perception as a fact? What's your source for this claim?

You literally need to destroy an entire world to change characters in Don't Starve.

Yes. What's your point?

29 minutes ago, Prinha said:

Why are you presenting your own perception as a fact? What's your source for this claim?

Yes. What's your point?

I don't know if you've noticed, but when someone posts a comment they have a name and avatar next to the comment. It isn't an anonymous board like 4chan. 

9 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I don't know if you've noticed, but when someone posts a comment they have a name and avatar next to the comment. It isn't an anonymous board like 4chan. 

Yes so everyone can tell you posted a strawman argument with no credibility to back it up

Imo portal should stay. Yet it should be nerf for early/mid-game.

What I like is that, you have to wait for that suspicious boulder. It's a good way to nerf an early swap.
What can be done more is that it still would get a cooldown for example 10-20 days for a player.
How not to punish late gamers? After Lunar boss is defeated, the cooldown would be set off.
In this scenario you would play that particular character for at least one season and then swap.

I understand that many things don't like touching the portal, but it would end farming start items early or swaping only for spices and jelly.
Yet in late game you don't need that many items to farm and you don't care which character you play, so there is no problem with swapping.

After reading almost every "nerf Celestial Portal" post, I still can't understand why this is an issue. Especially now that I want to build my first one so I can swap some skill points, like, you guys think that I shouldn't be able to do this? (I want to swap out of the trap reset skill for the rat production skill because I don't use traps at all).

The vibe that I get from these posts is that a random player should be punished for trying things (Didn't like your character? your problem; Skill that you don't use in your gameplay lopp? sucks to be you). 

Even using it for Wanda purposes is kind of not that viable, as you can't amass a large quantity of moonrock nugget and purple gems in the early game, while avoiding thulecite fragments (moonrock is abundant in the archives, that also has a lot of thulecite. Purple gems are plentiful in the ruins, that also have a great amount of thulecite).

And in the mid game your biggest contraint is getting those tusks.

As for the late game, I really can't see how you got to this point without drowning in thulecite from other sources.

For the  Pubs, I think that you're kinda griefing by joining in, going after the idols and swaping to get more time pieces.

Wouldn't this only punish people without friends? :lol:

Outside of the forum a lot of people don't have mains. Someone always enters a random pub game and says:

"Who do you guys need?"

"Warly?" Ok. "Wicker?" Ok. "Wigfrid?" Ok.

People just want to help out and have fun.

The only way to get this sense of community solo is with the portal even if it's just between the characters.

Also this comes from someone who doesn't character swap. I don't dislike like it, it's just something that doesn't affect me. So if it's removed or it stays doesn't matter to me. 

I wouldn't mind having worldgen options to control the portal.
But to be honest, i'd also like the option "Forbid people from rushing the ruins" =)
Because i don't like when people rush ruins or bosses. I don't like the fact that it can be done in the first place, as well as the fact that 90% mechanics and bosses in DST can be cheesed.
But you can't tell people how to play, so just find the people who don't abuse character swapping and have fun playing with them, and leave the portal alone.

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

What do you think "strawman argument" means?

making up a completely exaggerated or outright false argument to prove your point

as far as im aware thats exactly what you did, as most everyone here is struggling to find an example of what you said

19 minutes ago, lenship2 said:

making up a completely exaggerated or outright false argument to prove your point

as far as im aware thats exactly what you did, as most everyone here is struggling to find an example of what you said

So you know what the word strawman means, but not the much more simple "false", "exaggerated", or "argument". I never even made a regular argument, much less a strawman one. Nobody here has even made any arguments about keeping the portal here at all, everyone is just stating their opinion on what should happen or making irrelevant off-topic attacks like you are. How am I supposed to rebut something that doesn't exist?

If anything is a strawman argument it's this:

16 hours ago, Bearger Enjoyer said:

Noooo you don't get it, we should make the entire world a meteor field because that is fun and uncompromising!!!!

With his other posts of "It was revealed to him in a dream" and "Strawman, go!" being about as constructive. 

Archived