How many Earthquakes can pillars support before breaking?

Now that the animations are working properly, how many earthquakes can one pillar support before it fully breaks and needs to be repaired?

Also, do multiple pillars in the same radius break at the same rate or does it lose less durability the more pillars there are?

And do the pillars lose durability even when the player is offscreen?

3 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Now that the animations are working properly, how many earthquakes can one pillar support before it fully breaks and needs to be repaired?

I wanted to say 40, but it looks like it might be more! I've had some start without taking any durability at all, and sometimes they even give you back the rock that fell out of place.

Also, do multiple pillars in the same radius break at the same rate or does it lose less durability the more pillars there are?

Unfortunately yes, I presume this is a bug.

And do the pillars lose durability even when the player is offscreen?

Nope!

5 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Also, do multiple pillars in the same radius break at the same rate or does it lose less durability the more pillars there are

I hope there will be scaling factor in that issue, more invest = longer duration

For now its can not be repaired cuz the handling component looks like all the others, u can only upload x mount of material and finished the task.

For this i think it would require to code a new component for open a new task and indicated numbers of rocks needed for the restoration. that seems mostly fitting.

2 minutes ago, GLERMZ said:

Make me farm whatever you think are the hardest 40x resource for a perment pillar. Thanks.

I still abide by the tier system!

I was really hoping for some kind of rickety janky wooden pillar. Maybe we could something like walls?
image.png

Weak wooden one, doesn't have a lot of health.
Current stone one.
Magical Thulecite one that's either permanent or auto repairs itself? Like the weird Sentrypedes in the Archives do.

Split the skins amongst them should they get any, like walls... mmm... yes, mayhaps.

22 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I still abide by the tier system!

I was really hoping for some kind of rickety janky wooden pillar. Maybe we could something like walls?
image.png

Weak wooden one, doesn't have a lot of health.
Current stone one.
Magical Thulecite one that's either permanent or auto repairs itself? Like the weird Sentrypedes in the Archives do.

Split the skins amongst them should they get any, like walls... mmm... yes, mayhaps.

Personally I don't mind if we add tiers just so long as there's not a permanent one since it undermines the point there's no such thing as a expensive 1 time cost for a mechanic since by the time we're activating the rifts we should already have resource stockpiles.

26 minutes ago, -Variant said:

was really hoping for some kind of rickety janky wooden pillar. Maybe we could something like walls?

They could be a one time use thing that can last a couple earthquakes and aren’t able to be rebuilt but be pretty cheap 

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

how many earthquakes can one pillar support before it fully breaks and needs to be repaired?

Pillars have a grace period of 10 earthquakes before they start taking damage. After that, each earthquake will remove 1 of the 40 rocks used to craft it, breaking when it drops to 0 rocks. If the pillar is restored to 40 rocks at any point, the grace period is refreshed.

tldr: 50 hits if you never repair it, but every repair adds +10 hits

10 hours ago, GLERMZ said:

Make me farm whatever you think are the hardest 40x resource for a perment pillar. Thanks.

"Hello, Klei Entertainment? Yeess, I believe the user GLERMZ would like an unbreakable pillar... MADE OUT OF 40x CRAB KING FIGURE SKETCHES! AHAHAHAHAHA!!"

image.thumb.png.2b3dfff6e7e405ff82338436326111b8.png

11 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Personally I don't mind if we add tiers just so long as there's not a permanent one since it undermines the point there's no such thing as a expensive 1 time cost for a mechanic since by the time we're activating the rifts we should already have resource stockpiles.

The above-average tree trunk is a one time creation, and docks doesn't break by just idling around either

11 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

as if don't starve doesn't have enough chores already with rifts activated late game :grin:

2 minutes ago, user1464576869 said:

The above-average tree trunk is a one time creation, and docks doesn't break by just idling around either

And to that I'll say what's already been said you don't turn on summer it's on by default. You do turn on boulders so having a instant solution makes the mechanic meaningless I'm not trying to make some grand stand that boulders are a good or meaningful mechanic all I'm saying is if we're giving the option to turn off a mechanic forever the moment it's introduced then the mechanic may as well not exist.

Just now, Antynomity said:

as if don't starve doesn't have enough chores already with rifts activated late game :grin:

above

11 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

And to that I'll say what's already been said you don't turn on summer it's on by default. You do turn on boulders so having a instant solution makes the mechanic meaningless I'm not trying to make some grand stand that boulders are a good or meaningful mechanic all I'm saying is if we're giving the option to turn off a mechanic forever the moment it's introduced then the mechanic may as well not exist.

Rain:
Acid Rain:
Lightning Strikes:

lmao

4 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I don't actually understand the point your making

you can "turn off" these mechanics with the right items and structures, nobody complains about eyebrella degrading for example since its really easy to repair

just give us an infinite pillar, there is no reason for pillar degrading to exist, it is not a fun thing to counteract since earthquakes themselves are really easy, they just are a grief mechanic for megabasing

and like it or not, a boulder destroying your bee box setpiece with thulecite walls is not something that affects my survival, it is not difficult

if klei really wants it make it so every now and then we must check our pillars and slightly repair them with an special item at a much cheaper price so it is not 40 rocks again

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

if we're giving the option to turn off a mechanic forever the moment it's introduced then the mechanic may as well not exist.

Reign of Giants added wetness and hats to turn it off in the same update. I don't assume you mean it but the wording makes it sound like it would be fine if they added permanent pillars a few updates down the line, hahah

People might not be aware of the exact timings of it's durability here, but I will say DST is never generous enough with up keeping tasks, and I think that has "traumatized" a lot to not even be able to imagine living with another thing on that list.

I think requiring upkeep of systems for continuous produce is good in games... But DST is riddled with upkeep for dead things to literally have a chance to exist, your base and decor. And I can understand how wanting permanent sanctuary in some capacity without excessive upkeep would be desirable.

The thing that makes upkeep excessive in DST isn't the cost. It's how quickly it deteriorates.

4 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

you can "turn off" these mechanics with the right items and structures, nobody complains about eyebrella degrading for example since its really easy to repair

But the pillars are very easy to repair so what's the difference here? It takes 50 earthquakes while your specifically near a pillar to break and a earthquake happens every 1-3 days. Assuming you never left base and somehow a earthquake happened every day that's 50 days of protection and assuming it happened a the max of 3 days that's 150 days of protection if you never left base. Speaking realistically however it's closer to 200-250 days of protection because you are going to leave base are you saying asking a player to repair a pillar every 18+ hours is too much work?? Also I'm not aware of a way to permanently turn off rain. Lightning on the other hand can't be fully stopped either since if your not wearing the right gear when your away from the lightning rod your unavoidably going to be hit boulders on the other hand have their main purpose in destroying structures as punishment for not maintaining your pillars.

7 minutes ago, user1464576869 said:

Reign of Giants added wetness and hats to turn it off in the same update.

Hat's don't turn off wetness permanently they work in the same way current pillars do except your wearing that degrading item.

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

But the pillars are very easy to repair so what's the difference here? It takes 50 earthquakes while your specifically near a pillar to break and a earthquake happens every 1-3 days. Assuming you never left base and somehow a earthquake happened every day that's 50 days of protection and assuming it happened a the max of 3 days that's 150 days of protection if you never left base. Speaking realistically however it's closer to 200-250 days of protection because you are going to leave base are you saying asking a player to repair a pillar every 18+ hours is too much work??

I don't see a compelling reason to have to repair them in the first place. At that point we may as well ask why cobblestones don't wear out, or why we never have to maintain lighting rods. Or hell, why don't walls degrade over time? Why should my science machine remain intact after a year? Why don't boats degrade on their own while in the ocean? If it's going to last an absurd amount of time without upkeep, what exactly is gained with this upkeep? Does it make survival harder? Does it disincentivise certain behaviour? Well, based on the fact that you're rightly pointing out that it is trivial in terms of difficulty, I'd hardly say so. It seems to me that it straight up didn't initially even occur to the majority of us that they'd need upkeep to begin with, because the idea of it is absurd. I don't care how cheap it is, I don't want to deal with a distributed maintinence task. I'm happy to maintain gear because it's always going to be on me, but not structures.

3 minutes ago, Masked Koopa said:

I don't see a compelling reason to have to repair them in the first place. At that point we may as well ask why cobblestones don't wear out, or why we never have to maintain lighting rods. Or hell, why don't walls degrade over time? Why should my science machine remain intact after a year? Why don't boats degrade on their own while in the ocean? If it's going to last an absurd amount of time without upkeep, what exactly is gained with this upkeep? Does it make survival harder? Does it disincentivise certain behaviour? Well, based on the fact that you're rightly pointing out that it is trivial in terms of difficulty, I'd hardly say so. It seems to me that it straight up didn't initially even occur to the majority of us that they'd need upkeep to begin with, because the idea of it is absurd. I don't care how cheap it is, I don't want to deal with a distributed maintinence task. I'm happy to maintain gear because it's always going to be on me, but not structures.

Again this kind of circles back to my initial point this mechanic's purpose is to destroy structures it doesn't really offer anything outside of that and it's something we as players have to turn on to become a threat if we're introducing a permanent fix to a mechanic we as players already have to turn on to even experience the mechanic shouldn't even exist it just doesn't make sense in a world where we'll already have a permanent solution ready by the time we decide to engage with it.

Again I'm not saying this is a good mechanic or that people are wrong for wanting a permanent solution I'm just saying offering one doesn't make sense in the context of the mechanic.

22 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

But the pillars are very easy to repair so what's the difference here?

I'd say- uh again I guess- it isn't really about cost, it's about time management.

Hounds Tooth and only to a tiny lesser degree Spider Silk will accumulate over time from other interests on top of upkeep. Rocks is a resource that takes a lot longer to gather in large quantities and I don't think it accumulates to any capacity from simply playing along? It's a resource that runs out so you have to go shopping, making it more of a blatant chore than other materials.

If pillars deteriorates fast enough for the 'annual rock gathering ceremony' to chew up a majority of your playtime, that's quite an issue. And even if it would be dirt cheap to repair pillars so that your rock collection is steady for an practically infinite time, having to walk from pillar to pillar for inspection too regularly equally chews up a lot of time, compared to repairing your hat on the spot where you are.

Now I personally don't know if the deterioration is that bad or not. I'm just saying, that would be the point where I'd take issue of pillars having durability. In theory.

2 minutes ago, user1464576869 said:

I'd say- uh again I guess- it isn't really about cost, it's about time management.

Hounds Tooth and only to a tiny lesser degree Spider Silk will accumulate over time from other interests on top of upkeep. Rocks is a resource that takes a lot longer to gather in large quantities and I don't think it accumulates to any capacity from simply playing along? It's a resource that runs out so you have to go shopping, making it more of a blatant shore than other materials.

Stone fruit bushes passively generate rocks and earthquakes when your outside of base also generate rocks.

3 minutes ago, user1464576869 said:

If pillars deteriorates fast enough for the 'annual rock gathering ceremony' to chew up a majority of your playtime, that's quite an issue. And even if it would be dirt cheap to repair pillars so that your rock collection is steady for an practically infinite time, having to walk from pillar to pillar for inspection too regularly equally chews up a lot of time, compared to repairing your hat on the spot where you are.

Now I personally don't know if the deterioration is that bad or not. I'm just saying, that would be the point where I'd take issue of pillars having durability. In theory.

since the absolute min time it can break assuming a earthquake happens every day is 50 days and the max is 150 both assuming you never left base we'll use 100 days of not leaving base as the average. A day is 8 minutes so on average if you never left base that means you need to get somewhere under 40 rocks every 13 and a half hours for each pillar that was damaged because you were near it when a earthquake went off.

6 hours ago, Szczuku said:

"Hello, Klei Entertainment? Yeess, I believe the user GLERMZ would like an unbreakable pillar... MADE OUT OF 40x CRAB KING FIGURE SKETCHES! AHAHAHAHAHA!!"

image.thumb.png.2b3dfff6e7e405ff82338436326111b8.png

Those don't stack in 40 so clearly does't count

Kappa - Twitch emote" Art Print for Sale by StickyMeme | Redbubble

If a bridge doesn’t get repaired after so many uses.. what happens to it?

Pillars should need repairing, it’s also cool aesthetic wise to see these sort of crumbling structures that haven’t been taken care of in quite some time.

I would ALSO vouch for a massive change to to the large tree canopy so that it requires Palm Leafs (which can be a resource added to Palmcone Trees) to repair its canopy over so much time.

I actually enjoy base/structure upkeep.. I know most people WON’T, but it keeps me active, it keeps me gathering resources & busy within the game world.

It’s something that ISNT an Optional boss challenge I can go fight when I get good damn and ready for it, it’s something that requires Upkeep so I have something to actually DO (besides sit around in my mega base doing nothing until I’m ready to go fight a completely optional multiplayer focused raid boss)

Further more: In a game with 6 players- Anyone can repair the pillars, just like ANYONE (and thank god not just Wendy…) can go refill the Sisturn with new Flower Petals.

Can we please stop trying to get permanent solutions to all the games mechanics???

I’d really appreciate it.

Archived