Killing tentacles

deskp

When I met Tentacle for the 1st time, it killed me with two continuous smashes, just SUDDENLY appeared and killed instantly.

After that I avoided swamp areas, until I got Logsuit and felt myself protected enough to kill a Tentacle.

And I did it. Without being hit even once. I mean that I wasn't hit at all, even Logsuit wasn't damaged.

So how to do so. First of all Tentacle appear as a small...um, dunno, blob? At this point - run away from it, because in next two seconds it will do these 2 smashes. But after that, in another 2 seconds it will straighten up and try to disappear. In these 2 seconds - you can hit it freely one time and run away (because it will react with another 2 blows). Repeat. And again. Et voila.

The reward for killing such a dangerous beast is...a Monster Meat. One chunk of monster meat. Dunno, maybe It can drop something more valuable, but at this point its obvious that killing Spiders for Monster Meat is much more easier.

I'm not one to give any real advice, as I have yet to pull it off. However the general opinion I've seen/read is there are two preferred methods:

1) Hiring 6+ pig men and having them attack the tentacle.

2) Taunting spiders from their nest and luring them to a tentacle... and they fight it out.

I'll be trying these tactics Soon as Wendy needs her pretty hat.

What's the drop probabilty of the tentacle spike? It is better than spear, but how much, exactly? What's his durability?

It drops %100 of the time, last time I checked. It's slightly better, as in it takes 6 hits to kill a tentacle with a spike and 7 with a spear. It's durability is %100 :p

Basically, It's better than the spear only by the fact that it's free (provided you kill a spiketacle) and that it looks way cooler.

while before this update I indeed always looted a tentacle spike weapon, with the new update I do not. the last 3 tentacles I killed did not drop a spike. I used a spike club myself to kill them, not sure if that has something to do with it, all other tentacles I killed in my current game were killed with a spear and did all drop a tentacle spike...

My favorite way to kill tenacles is to find a swamp with a coastline.  Walk through the swamp along the water's edge during winter.  When the penguins jump out of the water, herd them into tentacles.  The net result is all the drops from both (jet feathers, meat, monster meat, tentacle spikes, ...)

Kiting is a little different. There is more of a set rhythm to fighting tentacles compared to kiting other mobs. As far as I know tentacles are the only mob that cannot move - they remain stationary. For all the other mobs, both you and the mob is moving. With tentacles, only you move. That's why it feels different.

32 minutes ago, jeffhartley3925 said:

Kiting is a little different. There is more of a set rhythm to fighting tentacles compared to kiting other mobs. As far as I know tentacles are the only mob that cannot move - they remain stationary. For all the other mobs, both you and the mob is moving. With tentacles, only you move. That's why it feels different.

You're replying a 2012 post... 

• Haha 1