Pillars and Columns to prevent falling debris

I think it's pretty clear that there's someone at Klei who hates on mega basers at this point. /s

More seriously, it's only fair to first note that a small amount of protection was considered while adding this increase in Earthquake difficulty with Shadow Rifts: Boulders will try to fall around the players instead of their whole screen, avoiding them to go wild around cave bases, other construction / bits of worldgen and smashing them.

This is certainly better than nothing but as someone who from time to time like to make their main base in the caves, or do big projects like long two side walled roads that avoids worms, monkeys, etc... I know that radius won't be enough and ultimately due to unfortunate timings, or my clumsy yet adorable friends I play with, heavy destructions will happen.

Now that's not necessary bad and I would say I mostly like it when the game oppose challenges. But with this one I would really like to revive some old suggestion of mine who would work only better at this point, and help at fighting this evolution for who wants to afford it :

Making Pillars "safe zones" from quakes !

As simple as it sounds, the idea would be to make those natural and chunky pillars that so far have no utility except body-blocking a dozen of shadow monkeys when you get lucky, a shelter from the falling debris in a 5 tile radius, just enough for preventing Boulder spawning while near and push back the other little rocks. As a side effect this might also helps at reducing this "sniping" effect where debris bounce to your face after colliding on things (happens to us all).

And there would be more: as a Construction Site enthousiaste, I would also suggest the addition of a deployable one similar to Wurt's throne site for making handmade Columns, replicating the pillar effect.
With this, I'm convinced it would help at making building in cave safe again but hostile where it needs to be in less controlled areas. And with sites being usually more costly (not too much of course, only the cost of plenty Boards and Cut Stones) than the general structures, it will create a new activity of quake-proofing your caves with them.

And of course bonus point if the columns are released with AWESOME skins for allowing even cooler constructions.

1 hour ago, ADM said:

And there would be more: as a Construction Site enthousiaste, I would also suggest the addition of a deployable one similar to Wurt's throne site to create handmade Columns, replicating this effect. With this I'm convinced it would help at making building in cave safe again but hostile where it needs to be in less uncontrolled areas. And with sites being usually more costly (not too much of course, only the cost of plenty Boards and Cut Stones) than the general structures, it will create a new activity of quake-proofing your caves with them.

I had an idea like this a while back that you could make a pillar with winona that if you place it as a structure would instantly shoot out like a big piston and hit the roof of the cave and cause a small cave in but where the pillar is in whatever range nothing falls or only small stones fall and boulders can't from antlion and now the upgraded cave ins

There could totally be skins for the collections used for the cave exits, the fantasy one and gothic, I'd also love something for the roseate theme but no belongings are under this collection (for shame :(), big handmade columns would be really enhancing base styles.

Less related but with bits of hope there will finally be skins for the furnitures in the ruins (since they made the chair cool) ?

In addition to skins, it would be cool if using different materials in the construction site could make the pillars look like the variety of pillars found throughout the caves.

Cut stone + flint: standard pillars

Cut stone + Ice: mud pillars

Cut stone + Thulecite fragments: Ruins pillars

Cut stone + Papyrus: Archive pillars.

Skins could still be used for new pillar textures, such as marble pillars or root pillars. 

I've had this idea for a long time! I think it would be perfect if the blueprint came from the archives as that is the one place in the caves that earthquakes dont spawn falling debris in. Would make sense to get the architecture from the one place falling debris cant spawn in!

On 6/2/2023 at 11:03 AM, ADM said:

Making Pillars "safe zones" from quakes

The idea of Pillars protecting from boulders is great, we will have to survive a rockfall in ordinary caves, but we will be able to avoid it by being near Pillars, this is the same as building a base in an oasis to protect ourselves from decay, we will build bases at natural Pillars (the exit from the cave is also considered natural Pillars). I think it would be difficult for a survivor to build his pillars. I propose another idea, to grow HUGE mushroom trees, we will grow them in the same way as huge trees on the surface, using fertilizer from Glommer's Goop. That is, we will have 4 types of mushroom "Pillars" that will glow a little, and will differ only in texture and color of the glow

Без названия48_20230604134300.png

Без названия49_20230604135629.png

2 hours ago, Creatorofswamps said:

I propose another idea, to grow HUGE mushroom trees,

I don’t dislike that but the reason behind using columns (maybe wasn’t the best choice of word) was to have  thin ones dedicated for building. :roll:

In comparaison, I do like huuuge fig trees but these are rarely in the path as they’re on water, but for pillars being eventually in the middle of rooms, there and there to walk to different areas, something really enlarged would likely be more troublesome than needs to be for placing and walking (might need to redo a lot for making one after discovering them).

So if we could have something like concentrated pillars (to me that meant column lol) that won’t be meters wide, then most methods would be okay (still I'm kind of a sucker for the construction site version, especially for Hornet concept).

41 minutes ago, ADM said:

I don’t dislike that but the reason behind using columns (maybe wasn’t the best choice of word) was to have  thin ones dedicated for building. :roll:

In comparaison, I do like huuuge fig trees but these are rarely in the path as they’re on water, but for pillars being eventually in the middle of rooms, there and there to walk to different areas, something really enlarged would likely be more troublesome than needs to be for placing and walking (might need to redo a lot for making one after discovering them).

So if we could have something like concentrated pillars (to me that meant column lol) that won’t be meters wide, then most methods would be okay (still I'm kind of a sucker for the construction site version, especially for Hornet concept).

Because of Google translation, it is really difficult to understand the whole meaning of the text. I thought that it would be really strange and difficult for the survivors to build such really tall structures , so I suggested an alternative in the form of large mushroom trees ( based around a safe and glowing mushroom column sounds like a good idea for the characters ) . Thank you for tolerating misunderstandings of Google translation ^^

Mushroom planters fertilized with glommer fig jelly could make giant living log shroom tree pillars tbf. Having them underground would make support areas for keeping rocks off the base and maybe drinking up the acid in the process. On surface it could become shiny shroom pillars but nothing functional.

51 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Mushroom planters fertilized with glommer fig jelly could make giant living log shroom tree pillars tbf. Having them underground would make support areas for keeping rocks off the base and maybe drinking up the acid in the process. On surface it could become shiny shroom pillars but nothing functional.

:wilson_love:

Archived