[Game Update] - 555166

54 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Honestly all I've learned from this thread overall seems to be that you guys seem to feel don't starve together is just a sandbox game and all content should solely be built around that concept.

Note - we are talking about POST CC content lol.  Like you've already gone all over the map, topside and caves, multiple times utilizing pretty much every resource before this point.

Its not like someone could start a new world and move these things around with what is suggested.  Terraforming is already real.  We can create pretty much any turf we want.  If I make a bunch of sandy turf and make my own desert.  I can also remove all sandy turf from the dfly desert and replace it all with deciduous turf.  Like terraforming is already part of the game, this is just 1 (small) step further at end-game.

You may like that you have to walk here or there to pick something, and you're welcome to leave it where it is.  You don't have to dig up and change turfs around either.  Nothing would really change for you.

37 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This thread makes me wonder what DST would be like if Just like Real-Life Certain Plants & Wildlife could only Thrive in a Specific Atmosphere?

Imagine if say for Example, Monkey Tails could only be placed in Shallow Ocean, or on the edges of land that connects to the Ocean.

Or if Certain farm crops could only grow at their best if placed in a particular Biome- Again.. just like Real-Life! 

Sure you CAN grow/raise things out of their natural habitat, but that also requires a freaking boatload ton more of work, time, and care.

With DST: Most of Y’all tend to think it’s a GOOD IDEA to be able to just throw everything you want into your base, and never need to leave base unless your going to go fight a completely optional boss for the 7000th time.

Its Stupid, and I’m not even going dispute that fact with anyone… 

If you really need to see how stupid it is for yourself though, Imagine what playing Solo DS’s Adventures Mode would’ve been like if you could’ve just relocated every cleverly placed resource to exactly where you wanted it.

It is.. dare I say, “Game-Breaking” and I don’t give a darn how many bosses you’ve killed to reach that point.

When disease was first introduced it had a prevention mechanic where you had to put the plants on matching turfs.  Instead of building it out they removed it and just had re-planting reset the timer.  It might be interesting if they brought something like this back, but I don't feel its a very important mechanic.

Again note - this is post CC content.  At this point its a lot less about farming, and more about aesthetics.  Its also not really that important to have things like lichen in your base lol  This does pretty much nothing for power levels, or resource availability.  It just enhances the ability to decorate.

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

I didn't want to intervene into the shovel discussion. But I found it funny that people are saying that post-CC is basically the end of all in-game quests when Klei literally launched a line of updates dedicated to adding more things after CC and AF.

Edited by maxwell_winters
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This thread makes me wonder what DST would be like if Just like Real-Life Certain Plants & Wildlife could only Thrive in a Specific Atmosphere?

Imagine if say for Example, Monkey Tails could only be placed in Shallow Ocean, or on the edges of land that connects to the Ocean.

Or if Certain farm crops could only grow at their best if placed in a particular Biome- Again.. just like Real-Life! 

Sure you CAN grow/raise things out of their natural habitat, but that also requires a freaking boatload ton more of work, time, and care.

With DST: Most of Y’all tend to think it’s a GOOD IDEA to be able to just throw everything you want into your base, and never need to leave base unless your going to go fight a completely optional boss for the 7000th time.

Its Stupid, and I’m not even going dispute that fact with anyone… 

If you really need to see how stupid it is for yourself though, Imagine what playing Solo DS’s Adventures Mode would’ve been like if you could’ve just relocated every cleverly placed resource to exactly where you wanted it.

It is.. dare I say, “Game-Breaking” and I don’t give a darn how many bosses you’ve killed to reach that point.

I’d eat spiders and use their glands and silk for healing and sanity if needed. Arguably with how isolated and redundant, no new meters or weather to manage, new content is; convincing us to go out of our way for it is the real challenge. 

• Like 1

I’d be pretty peeved if some dude stole all the lightbulbs and cacti on the server to decorate their base. If you’re taking this from a solo megabaser perspective then why not just download a mod? There’s plenty of them out there.

• Like 2
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 1

4 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

I’d be pretty peeved if some dude stole all the lightbulbs and cacti on the server to decorate their base. If you’re taking this from a solo megabaser perspective then why not just download a mod? There’s plenty of them out there.

Wait I'm lost, what's the difference between doing this with cacti/lightbulbs and doing it with berry bushes, twigs, and grass?

I think this is entirely the player's fault for not being considerate about others when given power!

• Like 10
  • Big Ups 1

16 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

I’d be pretty peeved if some dude stole all the lightbulbs and cacti on the server to decorate their base.

Do people just think basers will just steal every cactus/lightbulb/whatever else in the world to decorate their base? I can only think of them being in small decorative spots, or in resource farms (which the latter means everyone benefits from).

In addition, world regrowth of these plants exists for every single one of them, with the exception of lichen. If you somehow dig up all of the light bulbs and cactus, they will eventually respawn back in the designated biomes they came from.

17 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

If you’re taking this from a solo megabaser perspective then why not just download a mod? There’s plenty of them out there.

Console in particular can’t do this, and there are still a sizable amount of basers on console. 

Im not saying we should have the ability to dig up plants immediately after CC, but it would definitely still be nice later on. Having boons like this is a cool addition, and if done right really shouldn’t bust the balance of the game at the point you obtain them (the only one I can really think of that would be very powerful at that point is light bulbs, and even then that’s debatable.)

• Like 7
  • Big Ups 1

33 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

You may like that you have to walk here or there to pick something, and you're welcome to leave it where it is.  You don't have to dig up and change turfs around either.  Nothing would really change for you.

I mean I'd assume this could be applied to content people dislike as well but I'm sure you know how that goes based on some of the more controversial updates. It does change things however I mean it's like telling someone pretend the ocean doesn't exist if they don't like it.

42 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Note - we are talking about POST CC content lol.  Like you've already gone all over the map, topside and caves, multiple times utilizing pretty much every resource before this point.

So? We've likely fought every boss by this point right? So should we get the ability to place bosses anywhere we want on the map as well?

44 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Its not like someone could start a new world and move these things around with what is suggested.

Why not as this is equally a sandbox right? Why not just suggest a creative mode instead for people who want to move absolutely everything? Rather it'd go a long way to improving the accessibility to the game to people who are more interested in the base building side of things and this isn't to say base builder's aren't interested in survival but some people might want to explore the joys of base building without the stressers of getting to the end game.

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

Wait I'm lost, what's the difference between doing this with cacti/lightbulbs and doing it with berry bushes, twigs, and grass?

I think this is entirely the player's fault for not being considerate about others when given power!

That’s a very fair point. My argument was made in a place of bad faith and I apologize.

The truth is that the idea of viewing everything in the constant as something to be conquered doesn't sit quite right with me. Yes it’s true that by that point you’d be able to survive forever on kelp and stone fruit anyway, but standing around stuffing your cheeks with readily available food just doesn't seem fun to me. It’s why people go out of their way to gather things like cacti and lightbulbs in the first place. I can understand wanting to decorate, but I feel that giving players the ability to move these plants (especially during the first update of the arc) will inadvertently turn them into just another kelp and stone fruit.

I know that’s how some people like to enjoy the game, and while I don't think they're wrong I do feel it can sometimes infringe on other enjoyable aspects of the game.   That’s why I suggested looking at mods, but perhaps we’d be better off just getting a separate sandbox / base builder mode altogether.

Edited by YouKnowWho
  • Like 8

Previous comments make me wish DST actually had a “Creative Mode” similar to Minecraft where I can build a Map and then, my friends can Download and play it. Similar to Mods I guess… but limited to only what is actually in the game and NOT something I added to the game myself.

Being able to place biomes, mobs & resources where I want them. This would be the optimal way of playing for the Mega-Base Experience, or just to play someone else’s custom built challenge map.

Meanwhile- Content updates like Lunar Rifts and other potential future actual survival challenges wouldn’t have to be severely Nerfed to hell & back to the point they politely avoid targeting your base & have very minimal destructive features.

• Shopcat 1

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This would be the optimal way of playing for the Mega-Base Experience

Heavily disagree as a megabaser. A huge part of the fun comes from having to actually play and gather resources, it's possible to use mods on PC for a "creative mode" of sorts and it definitely doesn't scratch the same itch in my experience when you're just picking from a menu of stuff rather than going around a world gathering the materials you need.

• Like 6
  • Big Ups 2