Shadow's spawn mechanic has some issues and it needs to be adressed.

Im posting a video to ilustrate, but first my message once Im not sure if I made myself clear  [I talk portuguese by native, so]

Welp, hi everyone. For sure this is an issue which happened with all of you at this point. When you are insane the shadows start attacking you and I THINK ITS SUPOSED TO STOP when you recover your sanity back. As you can see here, the crawling horror MESSED WITH ME SO MUCH cuz at this point Im tired of havin to play Maxwell and deal with this. This mechanic is repeling me to keep playin this character and the sad part is it happens with all the other ones as well. ITS SO ANNOYING to have to deal with this in tough fights like Fuelweaver and dragonfly, sometimes Beequeen. Seriously, PLEASE, it is here way too much time by now, I BEG you guys to take a look.

I know I sound extremely dramatic but I cant remember the last time I was so drained by a game as I am at this. It isnt about how you counter the mechanic, it just refuses to go away and keep messing and pushing you to not do it anymore. It just kills the fun for me. 

14 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Poor crawling horror just didn't notice that you aren't insane anymore due to mod that disables insanity filter. 

Ok I will give it a break they really look lost lmao once it took for him  O N E    M I N U T E    A  N D    T W E N T Y    S E C O N D S  to despawn after I recover my sanity

Hmm i never encounted this issue when i play in unmodded server, and all mod i used are client side.
Yes, they can attack you when you stop going insane, but you still can attack back, and when it stop, it stop for good, wont attack you again until you go insane. never lingering like how this video show.

If you host this as your own server, maybe some of your client side mod cause this? (As when you are admin and host, some code will go through and affect server side).

51 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Hmm i never encounted this issue when i play in unmodded server, and all mod i used are client side.

It's a common issue for me especially when i play Maxwell. 

I'm surprised it's not fixed yet. Can't they just add some kind of code line to check on players sanity every few seconds?

Damn, love your beard <3

Anyway, yeah this is pretty annoying, it can take them a couple of seconds to de-aggro. It's also worse when you hit them and they lose it, and other shadows aggro, and the cycle repeats.

I believe they don't lose aggro until a certain number of attacks are done (no matter if the hits land).

I think the best fix this would be to make nightmare creatures check the player's sanity after they attack once or twice, therefore you only need to dodge one/two attacks.

I'm not good at coding but to me, adding a line that checks sanity every few seconds would probably not be kind to performance (even if it was only a really small bump it all adds up)

17 minutes ago, Emilier said:

Yes, this is very annoying, especially with Wes.

You hit them, you're sane but they never go away.

Spear durability thieves is what they are.

Because they run away before you can kill them. But then another one appears with a full life!!!

Seriously though lol. Sometimes it seems like they won't disappear until you attack them, but you are never able to actually kill them before they decide to not be hostile anymore

42 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

Sometimes it seems like they won't disappear until you attack them

Yup. Sometimes not even that, or then it really get killed. The thing is: not consistent. Im losing my mind cuz its not consistent, u cant rely in anything else to counter it and its just there.

A friend of mine tried playing Don't Starve Together once and being very inexperienced, they quickly became insane and got this issue happen to them. I also get this issue very often but it normally resolves after I dodge one attack from it or attack it but for my friend, the shadow was still chasing them after I told them to dodge an attack from it and they couldn't kill it due to their inexperience so they died. This was really annoying.
Btw, love your beard.

Assuming there isn't a more pressing issue that needs to be dealt with I actually like to take advantage of this and get a little extra sanity/nightmare fuel, except half the time they can't even be bothered to finish what they started and deaggro before I can kill them! Those absolute cowards!!

2 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

they can't even be bothered to finish what they started and deaggro before I can kill them! Those absolute cowards!!

Yeah.. they chicken out when they have one hit of health left. Sometimes for this reason when i have something in my inventory that lowers sanity i use it just so i can kill these.

1 minute ago, Well-met said:

For all we know this could very well be intended. Players always assumed sanity makes shadows go away but it's not really an official rule.

I refuse to believe they made it thinking "oh it would be so much fun innit?" Like??? For the love of god how sadistic u need to be to think that would be cool

Its almost gross. I love challanges and thats why Im still here playing DST after 7K hrs rushing stuff and having hard'n'fun times but things like this just makes me sad. 

On 2/3/2023 at 5:49 AM, Tranoze said:

Yes, they can attack you when you stop going insane, but you still can attack back, and when it stop, it stop for good, wont attack you again until you go insane. never lingering like how this video show.

If you host this as your own server, maybe some of your client side mod cause this? (As when you are admin and host, some code will go through and affect server side).

it happens frequently in vanilla worlds. 

I am with you OP, it's quite annoying. 

24 minutes ago, Mr Giggio said:

I refuse to believe they made it thinking "oh it would be so much fun innit?" Like??? For the love of god how sadistic u need to be to think that would be cool

Its almost gross. I love challanges and thats why Im still here playing DST after 7K hrs rushing stuff and having hard'n'fun times but things like this just makes me sad. 

you seem to forget all those years people have spent claiming insanity is easy and not threatening enough

30 minutes ago, Well-met said:

you seem to forget all those years some niche minority of people have spent claiming insanity is easy and not threatening enough

There, fify. Because just certain "try-hards" demanded that in past from KLei, a small-but-vocal minority. Ones that most likely dropped DST by now anyway, moving to Dark Souls kind of games or TikyToky "challenges". What OP exemplifies is clearly a bug.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

There, fify. Because just certain "try-hards" demanded that in past from KLei, a small-but-vocal minority. Ones that most likely dropped DST by now anyway, moving to Dark Souls kind of games or TikyToky "challenges". What OP exemplifies is clearly a bug.

the complaint was/is old, consistent and from more than a handful of people. There's more places to read from than the klei forum.

As far as "bugs" go, apparently attacking at normal rate was a bug too. Lol.

I think alot of people think they know what devs think but in the end we really don't. Therefore it is possible this shadow behavior could be intended.

2 hours ago, Evelo said:

I thought Shadow Creatures stop attacking once you reach 30% and despawn at 60%. They don't start attacking until 15%. Seems normal to me?

15% of 200 is 30. Bellow that we are attacked by shadows. Above 17,5% the effect IN THEORY stops. So for Maxwell, 35+  is safe sanity area to keep shadows away. In theory. Now watch my video again.

Archived