Shadow's spawn mechanic has some issues and it needs to be adressed.

Its just player targeting. The creatures are doing exactly as they are supposed to.  They are the only creatures that have a harass function instead of a maximum distance and range / timer function for aggression.  Thats why they keep agressive even if the player is sane.  They just have not harassed the player enough  to be content.
image.thumb.png.a4c1a229da29e117abbf0462ea448c07.png
You can see here where The shadow will check when it does its battle cry whether or not it should continue harassing the player.  If its still harassable then the shadow continues to harass the player.

image.thumb.png.f03a9a145b4a6220c36c1eb8403d14df.png
There are different timings to this being min med and max  and im not good at reading code but I think this kind of shows why shadows behave as such.

It would have just been better for you to fight the shadow and kill it instead of trying to kite it around.

Also the dragonfly repspawning larvae is literally a 50/50 chance of her doing it. When the last larvae dies dragonfly can go enraged or spawn more larvae.
So as most would say "its intended."

2 minutes ago, DVGMedia said:

Its just player targeting. The creatures are doing exactly as they are supposed to.  They are the only creatures that have a harass function instead of a maximum distance and range / timer function for aggression.  Thats why they keep agressive even if the player is sane.  They just have not harassed the player enough  to be content.
image.thumb.png.a4c1a229da29e117abbf0462ea448c07.png
You can see here where The shadow will check when it does its battle cry whether or not it should continue harassing the player.  If its still harassable then the shadow continues to harass the player.

image.thumb.png.f03a9a145b4a6220c36c1eb8403d14df.png
There are different timings to this being min med and max  and im not good at reading code but I think this kind of shows why shadows behave as such.

It would have just been better for you to fight the shadow and kill it instead of trying to kite it around.

would be more intuitive if their aggro was just based on the sanity level instead

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

would be more intuitive if their aggro was just based on the sanity level instead

It is though is the thing.
Its just they have a built in harass meter that they need to do before they can unaggro lol And the amount of harass is random lol

37 minutes ago, DVGMedia said:

snip

32 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

These two out of context snippets of code have no relation to the aggro mechanics. The 'harrassing' refers to their following/taunting of the player, when they're not able to attack but low enough sanity for them to still spawn and loiter around.

The actual reason why the behaviour in OP occurs is after attacking they have a 33% chance to taunt and then lose their aggro instead of updating dynamically when target player sanity updates, they do not have an actual "Do we keep the target?" function like most other mobs that runs constantly.

19 minutes ago, Hornete said:

These two out of context snippets of code have no relation to the aggro mechanics. The 'harrassing' refers to their following/taunting of the player, when they're not able to attack but low enough sanity for them to still spawn and loiter around.

The actual reason why the behaviour in OP occurs is after attacking they have a 33% chance to taunt and then lose their aggro instead of updating dynamically when target player sanity updates, they do not have an actual "Do we keep the target?" function like most other mobs that runs constantly.

hence why i don't know how to interpret code lol
But its still just a random chance of occurring 
Though my interpretation did make some sense. even though was completely wrong lol
Love what you do looking into everything though. I kind of wish i could actually do that lol
Since i want to know more about how things work within the game.

Where does it even say it though? like is it in brain or the prefab or is is somewhere else completely

looked at the chase and attack one but didn't see

5 hours ago, DVGMedia said:

The creatures are doing exactly as they are supposed to.

Im happy to understand it a lil bit better now but Im sad that it is suposed to be like that.

First of all thank u for the effort to explain it to me. Any ideas of how to counter it or its just like go for the kill and pray for it to not despawn while doing it?

Second, it really is sad that it could take 1 min 20 s to this lil **** do its thing and then go away, kinda sick and tired of it to be honest I think I will quit Maxwell for now cuz it happens so often and Im annoyed. x__x

4 hours ago, Hornete said:

The actual reason why the behaviour in OP occurs is after attacking they have a 33% chance to taunt and then lose their aggro instead of updating dynamically when target player sanity updates

Wait, what?? So it was just a really huge combo in this 33% chance over and over again? god Im confused [but hey thank you as well for letting me know this]

2 hours ago, Mr Giggio said:

Any ideas of how to counter it or its just like go for the kill and pray for it to not despawn while doing it?

The only thing i can think of is damage each one of your chasing nightmares down to be able to one hit with your weapons so if one stays around you can kill it with 1 hit and it can't deagro

Archived