Be nice if we could repair the bone helm with fuel like the other ancient fuelweaver items

The new update made it so that maxwell wants to use these items, but if you get into combat your bone helm will break over time. The bonehelm isn't even good armor at only 70% reduction, but it gives a boost to shadows, and its there so you don't get one shotted if you get hit twice quickly with the bone armor.

TLDR: be nice if you could repair it with nightmare fuel or as someone else suggested: fossils

I'm glad the bone helm works the way it does because it gives gear diversity. It's an expensive but powerful helmet that requires you to do something like ride a beefalo, have multiple sets of bone armor, unequip the helmet whenever bone armor is on cool down, not wear the helmet in combat, get multiple helmets, etc. If you want tank and spank armor that's already in the game with things like marble suits and football helmets, the bone helm doesn't need to lose its identity just so it's as easy to use as the rest. It makes perfect sense that the hardest helmet to obtain is the hardest to use.

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

It makes perfect sense that the hardest helmet to obtain is the hardest to use.

What kinda of logic is this?

I agree that bone helm shouldnt be refuable, but come on, if bone helm werent easy to use, people would obviously use another item, this is why few player use ice cube, cookie cutter cap, etc, (nothing wrong using those items, and i bet some people use it) but the majority of people decide to use another item that in their own view is better, the same apply to bone helm, if people thought that bone helm is bad or hard to use, they simply wouldnt use, but bone helm is easy to use and useful.

51 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

The bone helm clearly isn't easy to use or we wouldn't have had so many threads asking for it to be repairable because they keep breaking it. They want it to become easy to use. 

I mean, its just as easy to use as any other armor in the game, the only problem is that its prohibitively expensive to actually use… as armor. 

im not saying its design is good or bad, but its odd to me to say that the armor is hard to use, when in reality you just never want to actually use it for anything other than its secondary purposes.

1 minute ago, Copyafriend said:

I mean, its just as easy to use as any other armor in the game, the only problem is that its prohibitively expensive to actually use… as armor. 

im not saying its design is good or bad, but its odd to me to say that the armor is hard to use, when in reality you just never want to actually use it for anything other than its secondary purposes.

or more like people not using it because as a suicide pre-maxwell refresh changes. Even people who feed lureplants with bone helms didnt use them because of how dangerous was to fight with that many shadows arround

12 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

or more like people not using it because as a suicide pre-maxwell refresh changes. Even people who feed lureplants with bone helms didnt use them because of how dangerous was to fight with that many shadows arround

I wasnt debating that. 

Whether it was or wasnt suicide isnt the point. It is currently not suicide.

to be blunt, if you look at the bone helm as anything other than a nightmare amulet with infinite duration, it kind of sucks.

Its getting extra attention because of maxwell and its synergy which is great. Its an opportunity to re-evaluate whether something should be changed. 

also, people will trash them, but some people beat the game without armor because they think its fun. We shouldn’t focus on the extremes.

realistically, most people (who can kill fuelweaver) will have one, and maybe get a second if they want more ruins loot or a second bone armor. 

so what do i think?

i dont want it to function as armor at all. 20% protection. Just for the durability chipping. 

its unusable as a helmet because its too expensive (fighting fuelweaver requires fighting a prerequisite boss on a specific day, while also being one of the most mechanically complex boss fights in the game) but if i want to fight shadows, my options are to wear the bone armor, or suffer because it takes half damage still if im wearing any other armor. 

its an endgame piece of gear and i have to wear exactly it and the gear you got with it to use it for its intended purpose as anyone other than maxwell. 

that brings my total options for what to do with the armor up to 3: use bone armor, use a beefalo, or let it break and farm it every 20 days. 

i want my helmet to last longer without having to play a specific way.    
either that or maybe do actually make it refuelable. Because its literally an endgame helmet with less protection than the eye helmet, its not going to hurt anything to make it refuelable.

i wasnt of that opinion when i started this rant but honestly now i’ll die on this hill.

It won't affect anyone that wants to use it as an insanity amulet but give it another use as armor, but just for consistency its the only fuelweaver item that can't be reused if it gets damaged atm

I mean you all talk like you play perfectly lol. Normal players will often get hit a bit through bone armor and the helm slowly breaks. I'm at 80% atm

5 hours ago, Krotux said:

It won't affect anyone that wants to use it as an insanity amulet but give it another use as armor, but just for consistency its the only fuelweaver item that can't be reused if it gets damaged atm

I mean you all talk like you play perfectly lol. Normal players will often get hit a bit through bone armor and the helm slowly breaks. I'm at 80% atm

You can get another if you kill the fuelweaver again. 

You guys are all disagree with him but if klei actually implement it, you will all thank klei for it.

Bring beefalo to cave? that a crazy idea, they dont need to go cave..
Log out with beefalo? Just build more salt lick...

Just because there are a solve to a current problem, doesnt mean new way to solve it is necessary bad or shouldnt be implemented to the game. As OP said, "be nice if" yes, i agree, it would be nice if you can repair bone helm in case you accident get hit while wearing them, it would be nice if your armor stay at perfect 100% instead of random number 69%... wait 69% would be nicer...

2 hours ago, Tranoze said:

You guys are all disagree with him but if klei actually implement it, you will all thank klei for it.

Bring beefalo to cave? that a crazy idea, they dont need to go cave..
Log out with beefalo? Just build more salt lick...

Just because your opinion changes on a dime doesn't mean everyone's does. I never had any issues with what Klei's done with beefalo and don't remember ever going against any beefalo suggestions. If they made the helmet refuelable I'd want them to revert the change just like I want them to get rid of the hostile flare and want them to change the orange amulet to be refueled with orange gems.

If you hate the bone helm so much, don't wear it. Your free duelists aren't going to suddenly be worthless because they're "only" dealing 56 instead of 60 damage. If you want to minmax your damage and avoid the shadows that you incur then do one of the million things to preserve the helmet, or get more of them. You don't need no effort minmaxing. 

I think the concept in general is a little overpowered probably. Maybe not though. But it seems like if you can permanently prevent nightmare creatures from bothering you, it would be a no-brainer to wear it all the time considering nightmare creatures are consistently a nuisance throughout the game for less adept players especially.

3 hours ago, ethannnnnnn said:

But it seems like if you can permanently prevent nightmare creatures from bothering you, it would be a no-brainer to wear it all the time

Um, I have a question, because it seems to me that I don't understand something. Why is everyone discussing the issue of nightmares attacks while wearing a bone helmet? The whole bone helmet thing, is what it, you know... DOESN'T LET the nightmares attack you while you're wearing it, unless you attack them first? And in very recent patches, Klei have specifically removed automatic attack nightmares when wearing a bone helmet using "f", you have to forcibly attack them with "ctrl+f" so that they start giving you trouble. And even if you do that, they will lose aggro on you after, like, 10 seconds, regardless of whether they bit you in that time interval or not. Yes, I checked and timed it. Even if you are an absolute noob and hit a nightmare by accident, can it really be that difficult to run away from it for 10 seconds and then calmly return to anything you did before that? So yeah, you CAN wear a bone helmet all the time, and nightmares, despite being visible, will not be able to damage you and distract you from the other battles until you specifically switch your attention to them. And that was the mechanics of this helmet for a very, very long time. The only innovation is the addition of a forced attack, because in the last beta, Maxwell's players accidentally hit nightmares when fighting with something else and that annoyed them. But it made nightmares passive for ages.

37 minutes ago, Lokena said:

Um, I have a question, because it seems to me that I don't understand something. Why is everyone discussing the issue of nightmares attacks while wearing a bone helmet? The whole bone helmet thing, is what it, you know... DOESN'T LET the nightmares attack you while you're wearing it, unless you attack them first? And in very recent patches, Klei have specifically removed automatic attack nightmares when wearing a bone helmet using "f", you have to forcibly attack them with "ctrl+f" so that they start giving you trouble. And even if you do that, they will lose aggro on you after, like, 10 seconds, regardless of whether they bit you in that time interval or not. Yes, I checked and timed it. Even if you are an absolute noob and hit a nightmare by accident, can it really be that difficult to run away from it for 10 seconds and then calmly return to anything you did before that? So yeah, you CAN wear a bone helmet all the time, and nightmares, despite being visible, will not be able to damage you and distract you from the other battles until you specifically switch your attention to them. And that was the mechanics of this helmet for a very, very long time. The only innovation is the addition of a forced attack, because in the last beta, Maxwell's players accidentally hit nightmares when fighting with something else and that annoyed them. But it made nightmares passive for ages.

it doesn't matter at all. You can already use the bonehelm forever if you never go into combat with it. I just suggested this because I want to make it viable to use as armor. Same way you can use the eye mask. Usually people use that, football helms, or the much better thuce crown with the bone armor.

It's too annoying to kill the fuelweaver over and over. Be nice to just repair it with  fossils or fuel.

The bonehelm is the shadow counterpart to the enlightened crown, I don't think allowing it to be repaired will make it more op than it should.

13 minutes ago, Krotux said:

it doesn't matter at all. You can already use the bonehelm forever if you never go into combat with it. I just suggested this because I want to make it viable to use as armor. Same way you can use the eye mask. Usually people use that, football helms, or the much better thuce crown with the bone armor.

It's too annoying to kill the fuelweaver over and over. Be nice to just repair it with  fossils or fuel.

The bonehelm is the shadow counterpart to the enlightened crown, I don't think allowing it to be repaired will make it more op than it should.

The thing is though that it is viable as armor when combined with bone armor which comes with it as together it's a armor with techincally over 1000 hp of defense which is extremely high for armor while also allowing you to ignore sanity.

Archived