• Pins
    • Posters
    • Clothing items
    • Other
  5. 5. Do item codes make the purchase more appealing

• Yes, I mainly purchase products for the item codes
    • No, I'm more interested in the products than the item codes
    • I like them both equally

So I just finished ordering the last few items we don't have for my wife as a Christmas present.

I'm almost certain I've asked this before, and I'm sure many others have as well, but are there any plans to introduce new plushies at some point?

I've always been kinda surprised that the Gobbler wasn't available as it seems to me it is probably the initial nemesis for anyone when they first begin playing.

Aside from that, I'd love to see pretty much anything new. Bearger, Bee Queen, Toadstool, Pigmen, Merms, Clockworks, MooseGoose. The list goes on forever. If I'm being honest I probably wouldn't buy every character if they were released as plushies, but we'd definitely pick up at least 4 or 5 (Webber, WX, Winona, Wickerbottom, Wigfrid).

I don't know the processes that go into making them, I'm sure they'd have to be made in large batch runs then sit in a warehouse somewhere until they were sold out. 

We did unfortunately miss out on the posters, which I'm fairly sad about. Mainly the item poster. Of course, with all the new items introduced since the original poster was released maybe we can get a new, updated item poster?

Anyway, me and the wife love the Store stuff, and we hope it helps bring money into the company, you guys and gals certainly deserve it. Hoping to see some new products on the store one day.

IMG_20221120_085923.jpg

Making a plush is a very difficult and time consuming process. We got the Puft, which has been in the making for 2 years now. I think everyone wants more plush merch, but Klei is a game studio first, and expressing interest is surely good, but don't make any expectations.

I know I would buy every single Soft Spot character they might ever release. The fact we got any Griftlands merch at all is a dream come true, same with Hot Lava.

Klei games in general have this style that translates to merch really well, especially when they have proven to make the merch very high quality and loyal to the original. I will always want more.

Idk what I'm even rambling about anymore, I guess I just want merch.

While I'm not arguing the difficulty of creating new plushies, I'm pretty sure a bulk of what's available currently has been available for quite a long time, I'd say well before the introduction of the reworks and updates to DST. I'd imagine the overall player base is much larger now than it was in say 2018/19.

Granted a few of the items seem to have not sold that well (I don't know that Deerclops or Glommer have ever been out of stock).

Either way I'd guess Klei is in a much better position to create new items than they were when they originally released the products. Of course, the whole operation could be totally outsourced with Klei playing almost no part in the process, who knows.

Another option could be to tap into the evil overlord Tencent for support.

Aside from that, we could set up a system where possible new products are proposed, and if enough pre orders are received then production can begin. It could require commiting money ahead of time, and if the proper financial threshold wasn't reached, all monies could be refunded. If the proper threshold was reached than anyone who committed money would receive the item as it would already be paid for.

Not sure if the above is basically a Kickstarter type thing, my knowledge on that is limited.

I know they're super busy, but it would be cool if Klei could reach out to us here on the forums and brainstorm/work together on what we could collectively do to get some more plushies going. I'd easily drop a few hundred bucks on some new plushies right off the bat, even more if I had enough time to get more monies together.

2 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

While I'm not arguing the difficulty of creating new plushies, I'm pretty sure a bulk of what's available currently has been available for quite a long time, I'd say well before the introduction of the reworks and updates to DST. I'd imagine the overall player base is much larger now than it was in say 2018/19.

Granted a few of the items seem to have not sold that well (I don't know that Deerclops or Glommer have ever been out of stock).

Either way I'd guess Klei is in a much better position to create new items than they were when they originally released the products. Of course, the whole operation could be totally outsourced with Klei playing almost no part in the process, who knows.

Another option could be to tap into the evil overlord Tencent for support.

Aside from that, we could set up a system where possible new products are proposed, and if enough pre orders are received then production can begin. It could require commiting money ahead of time, and if the proper financial threshold wasn't reached, all monies could be refunded. If the proper threshold was reached than anyone who committed money would receive the item as it would already be paid for.

Not sure if the above is basically a Kickstarter type thing, my knowledge on that is limited.

I know they're super busy, but it would be cool if Klei could reach out to us here on the forums and brainstorm/work together on what we could collectively do to get some more plushies going. I'd easily drop a few hundred bucks on some new plushies right off the bat, even more if I had enough time to get more monies together.

Despite saying you're not arguing the difficulty of making a plush, i think ur underestimatimg it quite a bit. We can't just do a Kickstarter thingy for new merch and if it's not enough then give the money back. I mean, unless it was literally just the written form of "U wanna Grumble Bee plush?" With no detail, no blueprint, no work put into it at all and decide solely on that. But that's not really how these things work afaik. You need someone to actually do the work, draw the idea, research the possibilities and materials, make a prototype etc etc and all that work and resources cost money.

And just to be clear, I don't want to just tell you "there will be no more merch" because that's a lie, from what I saw Klei say on Twitter, and I have no way of knowing bc I don't work at Klei. It's fun to imagine and suggest things, but just try to keep it realistic. Try sketching the plushie yourself, try to make a prototype - building a creative community around the games is arguably way better than getting official merch all the time. And, it might inspire Klei to make something they otherwise might have not thought of, or thought wouldn't gain interest.

And one more thing, if there is going to be something new, we likely won't hear about it till it's ready. No point in telling thousands of people about something that might never see the light of day. Pointless hype and then massive disappointment has next to no positive sides so it's better to just announce a fully made product, like with the Puft. I was so so happy, much happier than I would have been if they told us about it 2 years ago and get me stressing every couple of weeks whether it got dropped or not or when it's gonna be here and stuff.

Not sure how you are reading my posts as underestimating the difficulty, and I'm certainly not looking for a fight here.

I will say it was certainly far more difficult to introduce the fairly large selection of products they made available 3, 4, maybe 5 years ago than it would be now. Their acquisition by Tencent speaks volumes about Kleis profitability, and plushies aren't SpaceX rockets. There are no new technologies to be developed. The materials are the same, the creation process is the same. The only thing required is a new template. If I had the computer/software, I would love to slap together a "prototype".

I can understand that taking money on pre orders to only then be cancelled and refunded would be problematic, but I'd also hate for Klei to put in the work on new plushies that end up not selling.

The plushies are also made in China btw, I'd imagine the Tencent partnership would facilitate the creation of new plushies that much more.

9 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Not sure how you are reading my posts as underestimating the difficulty, and I'm certainly not looking for a fight here.

Sorry if I made it sound that way. I honestly don't want to have a fight, just to point some stuff out. I think I got all I wanted across.

It's all good, me and the wife are DST plushie fanatics, we just want more. If our purchases were enough to justify Klei adding more stuff I'd certainly fund it. I'm just hoping there is enough demand out there to convince Klei to add to the store.

I just took a quick glance at the Google Play Store, there may be some apps that allow you to prototype plushies. I'll check it out later today.

Just a heads up, if I do get something together I'm certainly not an artist by any means.

You know, OP, It sounds daunting, but you could make your own plushies. I remember a while back I wanted a Ralsei plushie when Deltarune was first released, but there were none for sale. So then I used my imagination, and cut up an old pair of gym socks and a green t-shirt and made one myself. The project was super fun! I was, like, super professional about it; I drew little templates and used MATH for something. Ahh, if only I can find where I left the plushie... But I think I cut off it's head for some reason (why did I do that?).

You seem like quite the fanatic. Why not make your own plushies? Why not give it a try?

2 hours ago, hhh2 said:

You seem like quite the fanatic. Why not make your own plushies? Why not give it a try?

I think number one overall I'd like to support Klei, on top of the fact I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like some new merch.

Aside from that I'm not artistic at all, as I mentioned. There is no way I'd even come close to matching the quality of design in terms of looks or ruggedness. Everything we've purchased has stayed together really well (aside from my son busting the arm off the Wilson Funkopop lol, but that was the one purchase we made for the item codes, so no worries).

Besides all of that, I'm not really close to a Hobby Lobby or anything with quality materials. Between gas and experimentation I'd imagine it would take a pretty large chunk of change to produce some pretty low quality stuff.

I am looking into some software to try and get a digital prototype going of something, but I only have a phone, no computer. I found a program that I thought would do the trick, but I'd need 20 images to build a 3d rendering. The most images I could get out of say Toadstool was 6.

As a person that's in Europe I think shipping prices are rather outrageous. Unfortunately Klei doesn't have any vendors here, so there's not a lot of choice for me.

I've got Deerclops plush and Willow funko, would love to see more kinds of plushies but paying so much for shipping is quite too much from US/Canada. :( 

It's a minor mob in the game but I would love to have a saladmander plush, I just love its design.
Also, you could make two tall bird plushies: a baby tall bird that is the same size and similar construction to the spider plush, and an adult-sized version that is just the same base, but with legs as long as you. 

I had to take a look in regards to shipping. I knew there was a deal, but it turns out anything over $50 is free shipping in the US only. I'd imagine that means all the overstock is stored here in the states. I'm kinda surprised Canada doesn't get free shipping as well, maybe due to customs or something. 

I know this thread has already been up for a while, but I'm going to add a few more questions if anyone is interested in filling the new ones out.

Edit: Well no I won't lol. The poll already has the maximum amount of questions.

I was going to suggest any US purchasers giving up free shipping to offset the cost of shipping outside the US, which I would support. I can't always just make a Klei Shop purchase, but when I can i'd be able and willing to pay shipping if it helped others outside the US obtain items.

I was also going to ask how often the cost of shipping alone prevented someone from making a purchase.

And finally I was going to ask if there were people that weren't even aware there was a Klei Shop. It's been a while since I've been on the forums, and the Klei Shop link is gone from my menu bar. It could be my phone or my browser, but I ended up just typing Klei Shop into Google because I couldn't find it the way I used to access it.

I think there's a severe underutilization when it comes to prints/posters. DST already has such beautiful assets in the forms of vignettes, I am puzzled why they don't exist since they'd be the easiest merch to produce. This is partially why I started doing a series of character portraits for myself/ other fans.

Also (and I know this is daunting) but in terms of a plush I'd LOVE is a Koalephant, but it'd be pretty hard to get it all right and made perfectly. 

And I feel like the other missing niche in terms of merch is survivor-centric products. If there was a Wormwood figurine made, I know in my heart it'd sell out in mere minutes. But I also understand this is not an easy feat, plus with a cast of 17 characters you'd probably need to make those custom to order which would drive up the price :/

I have just ordered a spider plushie and the shipping to Germany is friggin expensive (not helping that the Euro is losing worth rn lol) but that's just how it is. I would probably buy more, if it wasn't for the shipping prices to Europe, but I would still love to see a Glomglom plush! (The undebatebly cuter version of the puft) And mayve a smallbird

This isn't Don't Starve related, but mechanical puzzles or toys of some sort as seen in Oxygen Not Included could be cool with some of the game's piping systems and other mechanical buildings. They could even make their own lego style sets given enough thought and depth with that.

Archived