Let's talk about nerf.

Wanda needs to be nerfed, nerf her damage, attack distance, portal cost. Everything about her is crazy.

Wolfgang needs to be nerfed, 2x damage, no negative effect?

Wendy needs to be nerfed, nerf Abigail, she's so strong.

Wickerbottom needs to be nerfed, Increase the cost of the book, and the risks that come with it.

Wurt needs to be nerfed, Limit the maximum number of merm that can be hired.

And please give us 1HP Wes.

Any characters that people commonly use should be nerfed because they are too overpowered.

And Maxwell?

He's been a lumberjack for almost 10 years, he can't be the king of shadows.

I will know after this update maxwell will not become popular character.

It failed.

Maxwell rework was the most expected moment from this game for me, now it's ruined because DST players thinks the game is a Dark Souls game and a lot of people that never played or liked the character loves to give the worst suggestions, I already lost all the enthusiasm so whatever.

Maxwell is ridiculously strong even after this recent hotfix. Shadow prison lasted 12secs for bosses previously now it lasts 8secs if playing solo with duelists. It hasn't been nerfed that hard tbh.

He is very much the king of shadows and absolutely loads of people will play him when the rework drops.

• Wanda is balanced by needing rare resources to build her clocks (she is a worse Wilson for a large part of first autumn which is the most important season to get stuff done). And needing to be at 30hp for max damage.
  • Wolfgang has to carry his dumbell everywhere or else work out every so often... forever. Plus doesn't have the utility or late game strength of other characters. (Great early game then falls off in power compared to follower-based characters in late game)
  • Wendy does 75% damage to AoE bosses and shadow creatures... shes very nerfed already.
  • Wickers books are balanced by the grindy cost of books + constantly having to fight nightmare creatures if you spam the books. Plus the effort of regenerating sanity.
  • Wurt is also balanced by the high grind for her power.
  • Wes is for the op pro gamers out there... praise all wes players for we have yet to gain your levels of skill!

21 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Wolfgang has to carry his dumbell everywhere or else work out every so often... forever. Plus doesn't have the utility or late game strength of other characters. (Great early game then falls off in power compared to follower-based characters in late game)

Oh no! 1 less inventory slot. Whatever will players do now?

23 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Wanda is balanced by needing rare resources to build her clocks (she is a worse Wilson for a large part of first autumn which is the most important season to get stuff done). And needing to be at 30hp for max damage.

Oh no! I'm too bizy rushing ruins I don't have time to look for rare resources needed for time pieces. 

29 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Wendy does 75% damage to AoE bosses and shadow creatures... shes very nerfed already.

Oh no! How is she gonna beat ultimate death machine known as deerclops?

Maxwell can match Wolfgang's DPS and can match Wilson's DPS without even having to fight.  If the developers just removed Shadow Prison, he'd still probably be the best character in the game. 

I'm beginning to wonder if all these complaints about his very mild nerf are genuine. 

Maybe it's monsters who need to be buffed. Game would be more interesting with combat refresh. If everyone is OP nobody is but if you add changes to it in form different from just plain damage buffs, health buffs etc then it will get interesting.

Look at uncompromising mode mod.
How much harder it is to beat a horde of spiders when they all have jumping attack, you might actually consider trapping them or avoid fighting at night completely. The new character they added, shows how true glass canon should look like and how refreshing different style of attacking feels. Bee queen doesn't actually suck to fight, no cheese required.

Character balance in a coop survival game is not a big deal at all , you are not playing a competitive game.
If the character provides a unique gameplay experience an/or a unique challenge for the player they are a successful character.

3 minutes ago, LDee said:

Maxwell can match Wolfgang's DPS and can match Wilson's DPS without even having to fight.  If the developers just removed Shadow Prison, he'd still probably be the best character in the game. 

I'm beginning to wonder if all these complaints about his very mild nerf are genuine. 

I did not like the prison changes because shadow prison was the unique thing for maxwell. As strong as shadow duelists are , having followers to help out in battle is hardly unique. 
Wouldn't mind a nerf to duelists instead if they still want to tone him down.

27 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Oh no! 1 less inventory slot. Whatever will players do now?

Tbh i do agree klei got bullied into making wolfgang way too easy to maintain 2x damage. The first version of beta rework wolfgang was balanced. You had to work out alot more.

29 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Oh no! I'm too bizy rushing ruins I don't have time to look for rare resources needed for time pieces. 

This isn't a big deal in private solo worlds but the amount of wanda players on pubs that have ragequitted because i rushed ancient guardian by like day 8 before they have even crafted the alarming clock, is hilarious! Wanda is a terrible character for pub servers. (I do love to flex on wanda mains hehe)

34 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Oh no! How is she gonna beat ultimate death machine known as deerclops?

Oh no! How am i going to kill the most dangerous mobs of all time... spiders.... without abigail??? Shes just so op! Hahaha

2 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

This isn't a big deal in private solo worlds but the amount of wanda players on pubs that have ragequitted because i rushed ancient guardian by like day 8 before they have even crafted the alarming clock, is hilarious! Wanda is a terrible character for pub servers. (I do love to flex on wanda mains hehe)

Honestly, I don't see the connection. Why would Wanda quit over a dead ancient guardian? You don't pick her to speedrun him that's for sure. 

2 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Honestly, I don't see the connection. Why would Wanda quit over a dead ancient guardian? You don't pick her to speedrun him that's for sure. 

Cause salty tryhards pick Wanda. And salty tryhards like to rush ruins and kill ancient guardian. And when a saltier tryhard (me as a non-wanda player :wilsoalmostangelic:) rush ruins, getting all the goodies, crown,mag, star caller staffs, lazy explorer before them. Wanda's ragequit an go to another server to be a salty tryhard in.

This has happened 3 times for me in 3 different pub servers with 3 different wanda players. The second i announce ancient guardian is dead they all quit hahaha

You are listing a bunch of characters who are good at 1 or 2 things, and the best at 0 or 1. Maxwell is good at literally everything except moving himself quickly, and the best at a lot of things. If Wolfgang had everything he has now, was permanently mighty for no cost, felled trees and boulders in a single swing, had a doubled inventory size from his strength, hoed an entire 2x2 farmland at once, ran 40% faster, picked up all items within a 1 tile radius when he grabbed from the floor, had a 20% chance to stun enemies for 1 second on hit, and innately took half damage then I would be saying he's a little strong too.

9 hours ago, Hyperpsychic said:

Maxwell rework was the most expected moment from this game for me, now it's ruined because DST players thinks the game is a Dark Souls game and a lot of people that never played or liked the character loves to give the worst suggestions, I already lost all the enthusiasm so whatever.

Agreed. Not sure why they'll only play Maxwell if he's a mod character with no downsides and every upside.

The game is PvE primarily. Just enjoy the game the way you want to enjoy it. No nerfs necessary. If you want to optimize the fun out of the game go ahead, but take responsibility for your actions.
(Wormwood main for reference)

4 minutes ago, Evelo said:

The game is PvE primarily. Just enjoy the game the way you want to enjoy it. No nerfs necessary. If you want to optimize the fun out of the game go ahead, but take responsibility for your actions.
(Wormwood main for reference)

I am unable to enjoy the game the way I want to enjoy it because Klei keeps buffing Maxwell instead of nerfing him and\or giving him some real downsides. 

14 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I am unable to enjoy the game the way I want to enjoy it because Klei keeps buffing Maxwell instead of nerfing him and\or giving him some real downsides. 

Name me character with "real" downsides. 

16 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

downside is really relative, for me wanda "downside" of health is an really upside, not needing to manage healing food more easy than not, in the end clocks dont spoil, so what is wanda downside in my eyes? 0 it is just remembering to use the clock, same as wicker that have less downsides, wolfgang one tham or a friend is all you need 
in the end we are all wilsons with perks only wurt, wigfrid, wes, warly,walter,WX have DOWNSIDES that you will definitelly notice if playing as any caracter, 
even wormwood disabled healing for food stuff can help him, it is always about an give and a take

50 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Name me character with "real" downsides. 

Walter not saying Maxwell doesn't have one now I think that's more subjective

I guess a better way to put it would be having lower Max HP is a downside of sorts but anyone who knows how to use food or armor it doesn't really affect much

15 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Walter not saying Maxwell doesn't have one now I think that's more subjective

I guess a better way to put it would be having lower Max HP is a downside of sorts but anyone who knows how to use food or armor it doesn't really affect much

Same can be said with Walter tbf.... marble suit means you take so little health damage hence little sanity damage, that you don't need much healing/no healing for both.

28 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Same can be said with Walter tbf.... marble suit means you take so little health damage hence little sanity damage, that you don't need much healing/no healing for both.

I was going to agree with this take but when you really stop to think about it doing so just mitigates one downside abit for another unmounted he's slower so you get a smaller kite window unless you plan to facetank and food spam and mounted on Woby you sacrifce dps since the slingshot is low damage.

Archived