How to kite better

set lag compensation to none, ping must be at maximum of 40 (if it is less, it is perfect), and at least 30 fps to kite properly.

if you complete these 3 requirements, now you need to practice your kitting, create a world and spawn the creatures you want to fight (you choose how many creatures you will start fighting), then it will take time to improve your kitting.

Or you can just get the lazy path, choose wendy and kill lots of frogs easily, and instead of fighting tallbirds, lure bearger to kill them all XD

Well first thing to accept when kiting is: between lag, computer stutter or loss of concentration... you are going to get hit. So always have armour aplenty, healing items are optional.

For frogs or tallbirds, bait out the attack an hit once. Never get greedy with these two mobs unless you have good ping or experienced kiter.

And if you miss a kiting window because you ran too far away to dodge attack, be patient and reset the kite pattern to get your rhyhm back after the next attack.

The hardest bosses to kite in my opinion are dfly and the enraged twins:

• For dfly with 1xdamage, it will test your concentration to the max, she attacks every 4 secs, so count to four from her last attack then dodge.
  • A really good armour for kiting her is marble armour, you would think the -30% makes it harder to kite, it actually makes it easier. You can get a consistent 5hits in, then kite, since you run so slow, you wont over run away to the point dfly gives chase an hits you. Unlike when you are at normal speed where its an inconsistent 5-6 hits then run away a wee bit but not too far.
  • For twins you want maximum speed, walking cane, mag and a massive cobblestone arena... and i mean massive, like quarter of a biome. This will test your quick switch of cane and weapon. Sleep and bait one twin from outside the arena into it. Be patient and land some hits when you can, if minions become too much just run from fight and continue it the next night.

Every other boss can be kited pretty easily so just treat them like deerclops. For shadow pieces (tier 3 rook) the mag, cobblestone and thulecite club work a treat if you don't like weapon switching.

3 hours ago, Gashzer said:
  • For dfly with 1xdamage, it will test your concentration to the max, she attacks every 4 secs, so count to four from her last attack then dodge.
  • A really good armour for kiting her is marble armour, you would think the -30% makes it harder to kite, it actually makes it easier. You can get a consistent 5hits in, then kite, since you run so slow, you wont over run away to the point dfly gives chase an hits you. Unlike when you are at normal speed where its an inconsistent 5-6 hits then run away a wee bit but not too far.

One can do 5-6 hits consistently to Dfly without speed modifiers. Exact number depends on attack speed player got (which resets on reentering world, I believe, but maybe there are more conditions). So if it's 6 hits, then it's going to stay 6 hits window for the whole fight, one has to check only once. If 6 hits is too slow to avoid damage, then 5.5 is the way to go.

In weremoose form with cobblestones it's 6 hits as well to kite.

After some time of practice one wouldn't need to count anymore, and just naturally "feel" timing. At that point one can weave eating, desummoning Abigail, casting songs, feeding eyemask/shield into kiting pattern pretty well.

For kiting twins 1.5x speed (cane + magi) is enough, although it's more difficult and less forgiving that kiting with this + cobblestone arena. Also even default/ornery beefalo on war saddle (~1.46x speed, but no switching to cane is required) is enough, at least if one kites in line instead of running in triangles.

The hardest thing to kite in my opinion is Fuelweaver's bone cage, especially at 1x speed modifier, but it's not a thing to be upset about: I bet amount of people that can do that in the whole world doesn't exceed two-digit number (maybe even 1-digit number), plus game doesn't force player to kite it, since lazy explorer exists and is of reasonable price to craft and use. It's impressive skill to have, though, and maybe some day OP would reach the point to practice it.

-------------------

@Waoling, I recommend to train as 1x damage 1x speed character in general. I myself practiced kiting Dragonfly for several dozens of hours before I started to succeed consistently; sleep breaks irl are also important, so if hands start to shake/reaction slows down/precision of fingers movement drops again, it's better to continue practicing tomorrow.

Once one succeeds in kiting pattern in general, I recommend to refine is as Wes, since fight would take longer and there will be more room for concentration practice.

Rebinding controls is also important, since hand and fingers should be in comfortable position for best result. I recommend to rebind attack to spacebar and action to F, but you can figure out your own preferred controls, obviously. Using hotkeys to switch to cane/weather pain also helps compared to mouse clicking the thing (pressing keyboard button is faster). 

Aside from creating world specifically for practice (kiting or fights in general, like boss fights) where one could just spawn all needed things, one could try to kite mobs in regular playthrough as Wigfrid. I know people believe that it's a character best suited for tanking, but that doesn't make her worse at kiting at all. In fact, she is one of the best picks to learn kiting in regular playthrough because she allows to survive through more fights with bad kiting, since her armor is relatively cheap, as well as hp restoration, without altering kiting patterns like characters with extra speed do. Less punishment for mistakes in regular playthrough encourages to continue practicing instead of giving up and tanking, and allows to meet more enemies to fight (season-specific ones or in dangerous locations, like mobs in the ruins).

Another thing that helps with boss practice is Epic healthbar mod or similar. Since in vanilla bosses have no clear indication of how much hp they are at (and same applies to high-hp mobs), and even for bosses with different phases phases themselves are quite big hp-wise, seeing exact hp allows to check how much better or worse one has performed before loosing and focus on better approaches; another upside is being encouraged by "almost wins" instead of being disappointed because of endless defeat chain.

And speaking about helpful mods, "Too many items" is very convenient for spawning things faster instead of typing in console bar, especially when it comes to deleting things and altering seasons and weather. One can even set minimum hp to 1 to keep practicing outside of godmode (i.e. with hp loss and animations on taking damage performed as usual) and not die constantly during practice.

If frog is attacking you then you'll land only 1 hit before having to walk away.
If you get first hit on frog that didn't turn aggressive on you yet you can hit 2 attacks before having to walk away.
If your 2 next hits will finish off the frog then you can do 2 instead of 1.

So if you have for example an axe 4 hits to kill the you can suprise attack a frog for 2 hits, walk away once and then hits 2 times to finish it.
With spear you won't have to even walk away, you'll be able to stuff 3 hits on unsuspecting frog before it hits you.

The less you have to walk away the better.

Some really good pointers in this thread, but I think the one thing that anyone new to kiting should know is this:

It's okay to make mistakes. You aren't going to be a kiting god in your first fight, or even your 100th fight. Practice makes perfect, and remember to have a backup plan (armor, healing foods, etc).

Having speed boost helps greatly with kiting, as it allows you to avoid and attack again quickly. You can even sneak in 1, sometimes 2 extra hits with enough speed, which means shorter fighting.

Though early game you should learn to kite without speed boosts as you don't really get it until you do ruins rush or day 21, or wx/wes.

(Beefalo is a decent fighting tool too, average damage but great speed and 1k health sponge that can regen.

I always turn the lag compensation on, and i only play in pub and I killed all the bosses myself.

everyone has different experience. My story I prefer lag compensation on.

R u killed by a single frog or single tall birds or crowd of them?

One way to practice is literally to just focus on practicing. Spawn a frog using console command, try to kite, and repeat the process, until you get used to it. You will become extremely good at it extremely quickly.

That’s how I practiced. Once I got the hang, I started to kill everything naked in the pub servers until I made enough mistakes and died. That’s my story when I was quite new.

practice and turn off lag comp off are the only things that can improve it imo. Kite every mob you see and embrace failing until it starts working, it will. 

yes lag comp on can work too, but that's only if you connection is pretty solid in the first place. 

On 11/3/2022 at 2:27 AM, dois raios said:

set lag compensation to none, ping must be at maximum of 40 (if it is less, it is perfect), and at least 30 fps to kite properly.

if you complete these 3 requirements, now you need to practice your kitting, create a world and spawn the creatures you want to fight (you choose how many creatures you will start fighting), then it will take time to improve your kitting.

Or you can just get the lazy path, choose wendy and kill lots of frogs easily, and instead of fighting tallbirds, lure bearger to kill them all XD

what if my ping usually is 200

Archived