Rocky biomes require QoL update

1338109488_.thumb.png.0fbfad562add15955c23101da420c372.png

Until now, rocky biomes were too monotonous, with just all kinds of rocks. . .It's easy to get bored while exploring.Usually never comes again after digging all the rocks here. Unless the moonstorm is here.

857629387_Rocky.thumb.png.12262d8479608b9962461fde5f05c946.png

If the grass in this world is mutated, a lot of grassgekkos will spawn here, adding a little variety, but not enough compared to the mosaic terrain "Rocky", where there are meteors and moon rocks.

2111928967_BGRocky.thumb.png.a6ee18f2a2d9b6752ea178b0bff54a5d.png

This is the background room of the rocky terrain.As you can see from this graph, the parameter for the tallbirdnest is very low (only 0.008), which means that it is difficult to find it in a wide rocky field.

Can you increase the spawn parameters for tall bird nests? I think in a place with so many ore resources, some threat is still necessary. Meteor and Moon Rock should also be added here, making it still necessary for players to explore here later in the game.

778355715_.thumb.png.af25739171eed39118c12d58b14c5427.png

Mole Colony Rocks

"Mole Colony Rocks" in particular, has almost no features except for a few vultures.Added two mole-themed biomes to the RoG DLC, deciduous and rocks. I'm not sure why rocky terrain was chosen as a dedicated biome for moles,  but molehills are not allowed to spawn on rocky turf? ? ?

610662783_.thumb.png.93e486e691dcded1ce8e948aeeabaa79.png

"GenericRockyNoThreat"(So normal rocky biomes should be threatening) and "MolesvilleRocky" are both part of "Mole Colony Rocks",but none of the three types of mushrooms, spiky bushes, grasses, and molehills can spawn on rocky turf.This causes their characteristics to disappear, and they are basically indistinguishable from BGRocky biome.

Can you change this terrain?I hope it has some character:grin:.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but those rocky biomes are among my favorites when it comes to resource gathering. I like to visit them during my third or fourth winter to loot everything, including the turf, and I would appreciate being able to do so without any interruptions besides the occasional pengull visits:D Not every biome has to be lively or threatening, and the rocky biome is in my opinion fine just the way it is now.

Returning back to topic, I wouldn't mind increased tallbird spawn chances, but I would definitely mind meteors spawning there. The second meteor field is enough of an annoyance which I believe should be removed, so I don't think we need a third one. For example, the only reason I save certain world files for future use is because I don't want to start a game planning on building a nice looking base eventually, and then find out during day 40 or so that all the attractive base locations are near a meteor field, resulting in me either giving up around 4 hours of gameplay or stop caring about how I play the rest of the game and just rush everything mindlessly. Plus, additional meteor fields mean that you have to visit each of them regularly and individually just to be able to find the Celestial Orb. Additional meteor fields are just annoying and time consuming.

^ you do know you can toggle meteors off right? I do it all the time when I’m trying to build a huge pretty display, but when I just want pure chaos I toggle them back on later to see what all damage they do to what I created during their absence.

I feel like since DST has all these options to toggle on/off/more/less many different aspects of the game- that Klei should double down on that Feature and crank everything else up to 11.

Rework the Rocky biome so that in summer it starts cracking with red hot lava, let Dragonfly like magma pools spawn out here with Larvae or Magma Golems spawning up out the ponds on intense hot summers..

In general: Make the game feel brand new again.

DSTs problem is a good majority of it is still running on the 2014 design concept, and biomes, mobs and resources have become outdated- and as long as Klei continues to add new biomes, mobs and resources- Older areas of the game are going to continue to feel lacking in content.

But keep in mind: World Gen Settings and World Gen Presets let you toggle much of what you want to experience On/Off/More/Less.

TODAY if you wanted to play DST and completely skip “Spring” you can just toggle that season off and enjoy Autumn, Winter & Summer.

With this upcoming “Relaxed Mode” even complete NOOBS can enjoy Winter Content without the additional stress of worrying about dying of freezing to death.

My point is Klei should capitalize on this menu of things you can change about your game & see it through to its fullest potential.

Some people may not LIKE my suggestion above to rework the Rocky biome so that it cracks over with lines of magma and exclusive summer mobs spawn on the turf: But that’s why I’m also suggesting ways to modify your game to your liking.

And honestly? It would be no different from the icebergs and Pengull who show up there during winter.

Its just.. I need to keep reminding everyone that world Gen settings to toggle things on/off/more/less exists.. because when Klei DOES add new content and crank everything up to 11…

Perhaps some people would rather play “Classic” DST still?

Theres actually world Gen options for Classic & Together.. but I personally can’t tell what the differences are- I know what the differences SHOULD BE though, and that’s what counts.

And if you disagree with any of what I just said: Did you ever think your completely noob friends would be able to experience winter content without the challenge of freezing to death in Winter?

I think I rest my case.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

you do know you can toggle meteors off right?

Yes. And my problem isn't with meteors, in fact I sometimes (rather unwillingly) tune them to lots because the spawn chance of a certain white orb is quite problematic. Otherwise I don't like touching the world settings at all.

9 hours ago, mr. brj said:

Additional meteor fields are just annoying and time consuming.

Also I don't see much of a difference between saying "turn it off" and "download a mod" in this case. There is an intended way the game generates worlds and spawns stuff, and I don't want to miss out on that.

10 hours ago, mr. brj said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but those rocky biomes are among my favorites when it comes to resource gathering. I like to visit them during my third or fourth winter to loot everything, including the turf, and I would appreciate being able to do so without any interruptions besides the occasional pengull visits:D Not every biome has to be lively or threatening, and the rocky biome is in my opinion fine just the way it is now.

Returning back to topic, I wouldn't mind increased tallbird spawn chances, but I would definitely mind meteors spawning there. The second meteor field is enough of an annoyance which I believe should be removed, so I don't think we need a third one. For example, the only reason I save certain world files for future use is because I don't want to start a game planning on building a nice looking base eventually, and then find out during day 40 or so that all the attractive base locations are near a meteor field, resulting in me either giving up around 4 hours of gameplay or stop caring about how I play the rest of the game and just rush everything mindlessly. Plus, additional meteor fields mean that you have to visit each of them regularly and individually just to be able to find the Celestial Orb. Additional meteor fields are just annoying and time consuming.

what are you using the turf for? I loved them too back when the turf was used in cobblestone recipes, but since then I'm never bothering to loot them anymore. I do agree that not all biomes need to be very lively, but I wouldn't mind a reason to visit it tbh. 

3 hours ago, BeeClops said:

what are you using the turf for?

Not much really, mostly for the sense of a useless accomplishment that might or might not be useful for a future terraforming. That usually depends on whether or not the biome spawned close to the oasis. Other than that I like them as a turf for silk farms, but they are not a must, that's for sure. I guess its mostly a habit I choose not to let go:D

Rocky biome indeed is boring af, but extra threats are not going to make that biome more interesting.
What could be done:
Art variety - yes, sometimes just extra turf (maybe with little hint of gemstones in it?) and different looks of rocks (I mean, rocks are just rocks, they are going to stay boring, but sea stacks are something a little more to look at than rocky army of clones) can add extra life to area.
Set pieces - I believe recent update added few more set pieces, but would be nice if something was guaranteed around and it wasn't a 25 rocks 20 tallbirds one.
Maybe (very maybe - I don't see bushes, or any typical in game trees fitting that biome) extra sources of resources, like rocky pond to "fish" rocks and gold? ... Meteors are quite destructive, and sometimes I just like peacefulness, so no-no to the meteors.
During moonstorms area could have some chance to get some moonrocks?

6 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

not every single biome needs to have 5 assets and 10 mobs each

I mean.. meh I guess- But Minecraft stays relevant because it updates old biomes with new resources and new mobs.

The Dont starve franchise is about to have its 10 year anniversary, people obviously expect a lot of changes and cool new ideas over the course of 10 years.

I also have the feeling that Return of Them & Setting The Stage (more important Moon Quay..) is gearing up for these kind of MASSIVE world altering changes.

With Return of Them we ended with causing Moonstorms to start happening on the main islands.

And Moon Quay is literally a Unnatural portal spewing out resources and mobs from an alternate dimension.

I would almost be willing to bet money that Klei’s gearing up for some world altering changes soon.

Archived