Rain Rituals Idea

What if the book dumped all of the existing water in the sky at once when stopping rain? I believe this would make it much more rounded out.

1. This would provide synergy with Temperature Temperatures.
  2. This would give survivors a reason to still carry rain gear.
  3. There could perhaps be a cue and a short delay or ramp-up to warn people to equip their rain gear.
  4. This simply sounds like such a fun mechanic, and something Wickerbottom would do. The water has to go somewhere, dear.
  5. This would make your local Wormwood farmer happy as the world would be saturated with wetness, ending the WX vs Wormwood war ("PLEASE STOP THIS ATROCIOUS RAIN" "But friends thirsty :(") and achieving world peace.

Not a fan of it for 2 reasons:

1. In a multiplayer setting, even if you have a delay warning people to equip rain items, there's a decent chance you'll have a few players without them. This would mean using the book is actively making the game worse for those players than if the book didn't exist in the first place. It's not even really griefing, just seems like bad design.
  2. This would mean Practical Rain Rituals is no longer an alternative to wetness protection items, which kills a lot of its utility. I don't see how lugging around an eyebrella just to equip it for 5 seconds makes a whole lot of sense.

3 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

This would mean using the book is actively making the game worse for those players than if the book didn't exist in the first place. It's not even really griefing, just seems like bad design

Moon book in a nutshell for Woodie and shadow piece enjoyers.

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

To be fair how many players do you believe have even seen the moon storm event?

Does it matter? Woodie is 1 character that has issues with full moon in 2 ways (lunar grimoire and moonstorms). Suggesting that only 1 of those issues is a problem is neglecting the point.

I get where you're coming from, and I understand why some people want it altered, but in the end it's just rain.

If rain is THIS strong, then there's something about it that probably needs to be addressed. I imagine the original purpose of the book was to help with crops and summer to prevent overheating for a little while, but if stopping wildfires is that necessary then maybe the mechanic of wildfires themselves could use another look.

Just now, Arcwell said:

Does it matter? Woodie is 1 character that has issues with full moon in 2 ways. Suggesting that only 1 of those issues is a problem is neglecting the point.

I'm not neglecting the issue I've said many times it should be solved on both fronts but I do also acknowledge that Kiel has probably left it on the back burner for so long specifically because most players will never have to deal with it while now they've put themselves in a situation where they either need to address it or risk deleting the character in spirit.

12 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

Not a fan of it for 2 reasons:

1. In a multiplayer setting, even if you have a delay warning people to equip rain items, there's a decent chance you'll have a few players without them. This would mean using the book is actively making the game worse for those players than if the book didn't exist in the first place. It's not even really griefing, just seems like bad design.
  2. This would mean Practical Rain Rituals is no longer an alternative to wetness protection items, which kills a lot of its utility. I don't see how lugging around an eyebrella just to equip it for 5 seconds makes a whole lot of sense.

good. Give the damn thing a downside.

2 minutes ago, WhackE said:

good. Give the damn thing a downside.

You know all of Wickerbottom's books cost sanity, right?

It might not seem like a lot if you're *just* looking at the sanity cost of Practical Rain Rituals, but keep in mind this is 1 of 17 books. Wickerbottom does not read 1 book. She drains a tremendous amount of sanity if read books somewhat regularly.

WX can ignore temperature and darkness permanently for no cost. Wurt can ignore every negative of wetness except temperature, and Wormwood can ignore the sanity parts (both for free). Characters making things easier is not unheard of. 

9 minutes ago, Owlrust said:

I get where you're coming from, and I understand why some people want it altered, but in the end it's just rain.

If rain is THIS strong, then there's something about it that probably needs to be addressed. I imagine the original purpose of the book was to help with crops and summer to prevent overheating for a little while, but if stopping wildfires is that necessary then maybe the mechanic of wildfires themselves could use another look.

While I'm unsure of how I'd feel about this change you do have to remember the book technically removes frog rain and lightning as well as on demand electric damage.

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

WX can ignore temperature and darkness permanently for no cost.

What about slots that can be used for something else?

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Wurt can ignore every negative of wetness except temperature

Which is ironically why she can't ignore wetness without added assistance.

3 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Wormwood can ignore the sanity parts (both for free)

At the cost of less healing options.

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Characters making things easier is not unheard of.

Your not wrong.

11 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

WX can ignore temperature and darkness permanently for no cost.

yeah except for the fact removing circuits costs durability and they eventually need to be replaced, and those are selfish options. while Wicker can infinitely restore the durability of all her books for free, while doing nothing, forever.

59 minutes ago, WhackE said:

yeah except for the fact removing circuits costs durability and they eventually need to be replaced

oh no after several years of ignoring the seasons for free there is a very minor cost. the 1% of players who play on worlds for that long will surely be devastated with the cost. 

1 hour ago, WhackE said:

and those are selfish options.

Who cares? You can have more than one WX. If ignoring seasons is too strong then wx is 1000x worse. 

1 hour ago, WhackE said:

while Wicker can infinitely restore the durability of all her books for free, while doing nothing, forever.

Intentionally ignoring the sanity cost and the fact that you need to keep going back to said bookshelf to make the argument look better. 

And birds of the world should empty the skies of all the birds across the entire constant for 15 days. All those birds have to come from somewhere right? 

what would be the point of stopping rain if ur in fact not stopping the rain? 

This proposed change would be like needing to periodically heat up WX’ warmth circuit like a thermal stone.. what would be the point? 

2 hours ago, Arcwell said:

You know all of Wickerbottom's books cost sanity, right?

It might not seem like a lot if you're *just* looking at the sanity cost of Practical Rain Rituals, but keep in mind this is 1 of 17 books. Wickerbottom does not read 1 book. She drains a tremendous amount of sanity if read books somewhat regularly.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Intentionally ignoring the sanity cost and the fact that you need to keep going back to said bookshelf to make the argument look better. 

^ this has been going on since day 1 of the beta. People look at each book in a complete vacuum and like they fall out of the sky into ur lap. 

Whenever one of those “who’s ur main” polls got posted in the past and wicker only got like 4 votes i always thought to myself.. surely this cant be true… 

but this beta really has proven that to be the case lol 

i cant think of any other refresh where the fundamental basics of a survivor have been THIS misrepresented/poorly understood by THIS many people. Some of them being the loudest on the beta forums. 

How many more times is this same point gonna be brought up by the same handful of people and how many more times are people gonna have to correctly refute it? 

After the wolfgang beta this has to be the second most annoying one. 

9 minutes ago, Ohan said:

cant think of any other refresh where the fundamental basics of a survivor have been THIS misrepresented/poorly understood by THIS many people. Some of them being the loudest on the beta forums. 

How many more times is this same point gonna be brought up by the same handful of people and how many more times are people gonna have to correctly refute it? 

And also in this case it's using sanity to stop rain. Losing sanity is a major part of wetness' downsides and before you get super soaked and start dropping your tools while freezing I'd even say it's the main thing. Using sanity to stop wetness isn't nearly as good as people are acting like it is. It's like a sacrifice, Wickerbottom pretends she has no rain gear and loses sanity so others don't have to. 

Playing with Wickerbottom:

• craft me a backpack
  • wrong skin
  • helmet, spear, lantern
  • teach me senpai with your cyclopedia
  • tons of free food
  • tons of free grass and twigs
  • free Pan Flute OP!
  • Tentacle Trap on Bee Queen pls
  • now give Krampus Sack to me!
  • WX-78: charge me pls
  • Light Beam in base pls
  • Spring: stop rain
  • Summer: don't stop rain
  • now dry me ffs!
  • FULL MOON PLS OP! OP!
  • yOu'Ra cHaRaa4ktEr OverApowaWerErD WTdF??!

Playing as Wickerbottom:

• no resources because others ask you for crafts
  • tons of lost sanity
  • tons of freaking double terror beaks!!!
  • tons of steps through the Swamp, ugh
  • tons of Tentacle slaps on the occiput
  • dying to your own Tentacle Trap
  • repeatedly
  • and more TERROR BEAKS FFS!

At least she got those Bees now, they are fun and buzz happily :3

3 hours ago, Arcwell said:

I don't see how lugging around an eyebrella just to equip it for 5 seconds makes a whole lot of sense.

I’d much prefer having to only wear an eyebrella for 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes. You do realize that if a wicker doesn’t end the rain, it’ll continue and players will still get wet, right?

16 minutes ago, goblinball said:

I’d much prefer having to only wear an eyebrella for 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes. You do realize that if a wicker doesn’t end the rain, it’ll continue and players will still get wet, right?

So what exactly is the big deal? Saving 5 minutes worth of durability on some rain gear every time it rains at the cost of the Wicker player’s sanity? Being able to have 5 minutes of tamoshanter instead? 

How is that different from any other team helping perk? How is that different from the resources saved in combat by having a wolfgang or wanda or wigfrid on the team? How is that different from the durability saved on hoes with a wormwood lol? How is that different from the durability saved on gear fighting spiders with a wendy on the team? How is that different from the time and resources saved gathering wood with a woodie/max/wurt on the team? 

13 minutes ago, Ohan said:

How is that different from any other team helping perk?

… i never said it was different??? I feel like you might’ve quoted the wrong person here, I just simply disagreed with the person’s reasoning for disliking this proposed idea.

4 minutes ago, goblinball said:

… i never said it was different??? I feel like you might’ve quoted the wrong person here, I just simply disagreed with the person’s reasoning for disliking this proposed idea.

Right, i was more so talking against the whole notion that the rain book is game breakingly op and needs to be changed in general and not against you in particular, i shouldve made that clear mb. :wilson_flower:

6 hours ago, goblinball said:

I’d much prefer having to only wear an eyebrella for 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes.

Not sure if you got my point, apologies if I'm misinterpreting:
- Rain book currently acts as an alternative to wetness protection gear. You don't need to wear them if you just prevent the rain (excluding Summer if you want to prevent wildfires anyway)
- OP is suggesting this should be nerfed to make rain-stop cause the entire rain cycle's wetness buildup in a very short period of time in exchange for stopping it (hence you would need rain gear or the book would do basically nothing).

I'd much rather not have to wear an eyebrella at all than have to wear one for 5 seconds to balance a book that already has a sanity cost.

6 hours ago, goblinball said:

You do realize that if a wicker doesn’t end the rain, it’ll continue and players will still get wet, right?

Yes, 2 things:
- This means the wetness buildup is the same with or without the book, with the only exception being wetness protection clothing. If the point of the book is to act as a good alternative to wetness protection clothing, which it certainly looks like it should be based on its design, the proposed nerf would kill this function of the book.
- Wetness buildup is the same without protection but it's faster with the proposed nerf. This means players affected by it essentially go from mostly fine to rapidly draining sanity, freezing and slipping without giving them nearly as much time to react.

...actually, I love this. Partly because it's funny imagining all that water dumping on people in a single FWOOSH, but...
Mostly because it'd add some more meaningful interaction between players. Like 'hey, bout to use the book, take cover'. The interaction's a bit more interesting than 'turn rain button off'.

The room for potential inconveniences if its misused is a feature imo.

rain.gif.4fef3206851881ffd3ba449fd1d0b472.gif

9 minutes ago, maradyne said:

...actually, I love this. Partly because it's funny imagining all that water dumping on people in a single FWOOSH, but...

I love the idea of just a giant mass of rain on the world at once.

Spoiler

Weather and environment is probably one of my favourite aspects of games, and seeing a massive dump of rain all at once would be funny. Gameplay wise I don't feel it'd be too terrible. I imagine I could just stand next to a fire for a few seconds if I was caught without my rain gear. I think it'd be a funny interaction with the world that adds to the environment of the Constant without hurting gameplay too much.

Archived