Is there a use case for Overcoming Arachnophobia?

Overcoming Arachnophobia
Costs 2 papyrus, 2 spider glands, 6 silk to craft
5 uses, -33 sanity per cast
Spawns a 2x2 tile web centered on caster for 30 seconds that significantly slows grounded enemies

Love the concept behind this spell, reminds me a lot of the control wizard archetype in Dungeons & Dragons. That said, I cannot think of a single scenario where I'd want to use it in its current state. It's too small to do much against hound waves, they rush through it too quickly. Boss fights generally last longer than 30 seconds; recasting requires you to have an opening, loses DPS and incurs sanity penalties. Events like mooncaller and moonstorms run into both problems, requiring multiple webs to cover the area and recasting to ensure they last long enough.

Forums, I ask of you: in what scenarios, if any, would Overcoming Arachnophobia be useful in its current state?

use it against the nightmares you summon, HAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHA XD

lol....but no, I think the duration isn't long enough, and even if you make more than one of them, it will make you insane quickly to attempt it for any actual use...but they do slow down nightmares, which is cool...ig

How about in front of toadstool when hes trying to crawl back to his shroom? That could be nice i think? Since he wont attack until hes crawled back within certain proximity of his shroom and hes already really slow as well. I havent tried this yet though. 

Maybe against lavae in a no wall dfly fight..? U could let some of them get stuck in the web while u deal with the others so u dont get overwhelmed. Idk

Longer duration/bigger radius r definitely whats needed to make it more practical.
I love it conceptually but 30 second duration for 33 sanity is way too harsh. 

I can probably see it as a way to escape from the monkey train in the ruins.

And I guess it can be used to slow down enemies so you can fire more blow darts at them before needing to dodge? Wicker can easily mass produce this weapon so it's reasonable.

1 hour ago, Spino43 said:

I can probably see it as a way to escape from the monkey train in the ruins.

The reading animation is often too long and can make the monkeys catch up, very risky, but still possible to execute.

In my opinion the book is in a weird position right now. Why would one take this over Sleepytime Stories? It can sorta paralyze everything in your view, which is far more appealing than a measly 40%-60% movement speed slow.
I think it would be cool if not only the radius was just a bit wider, its efficiency would also gradually increase the longer enemies stay in the web, for example speed being reduced by 20% every second, up to 80%. Maybe if the web is summoned between structures/trees, it could instead summon sort of a high web field in which creatures get tangled inside, with extra penalties to suffer, maybe lowered attack speed?
(Also side flavor note, would be awesome to have various interactions with spiders and/or Webber with that book!)

EDIT: I've made a mistake and forgot about mobs with herd mentality, since they prematurely awaken others when under attack after sleepytime stories. The arachnophobia book still needs just a bit more spice though.

43 minutes ago, UsualRandomArt said:

Casting time is too long to do it on the spot and they could just walk around it

And also, sleepytime exists too, for PvP!

Spider book really needs a lot more added to it, duration, AoE+, something to justify using it.

If It's duration and strength were increased, I can see it being a super niche use against fuelweaver; both for his woven shadows, and for getting out of the bone cages before he can get free hits on you.

Could be useful if you're caught in a Hound wave far from base. A few uses can buy you some serious time if you place them alongside the edge of the land bordering the ocean. Not only do the sea-doggos have to get onto land and bark first, but they also lose a bit of speed too, giving enough time for you to take out most of the land-doggos first.

Archived