Maxwell and Wilson

Btw im back :v 

So Wicker got her refresh now, which now only leaves the OGs, Maxwell and Wilson.

I think most of us agree that Maxwell will be next, since Wilson is kinda the poster boy of Dont Starve, which will likely make him the last to get his refresh. 

Maxwell:

So Dapper boi, what do you think about him? and what would you change?

Some QoL changes i would make:

1.- Remove the "Crafting station" from the Codex Umbra, and allow to just craft by having the book on your inventory. 

2.- Some control over the Shadows, similar to Abigail, allowing to turn them into a passive state, this is specially true for the farmer ones, since you are pretty much forced to get rid of them to stop them from messing up the base, like Twiggy and Marble Trees. 

3.- Remove the Tool requirement for crafting? i mean, i think the Fuel is enough of a price, and having to craft these tools each time can be a bit bothersome. 

Design wise:

Maybe more focus on dmg rather than farming? this mainly comes from his low HP, which could make him a glass cannon type of character, but he does normal dmg, has no bonus for Shadow Weaponry, and his Duelist arent exactly that good either, they get killed easily and their kiting isnt the greatest either. 

One idea that fits is turning his Duelists into the Forge variant, where it was a Burst attack from consecutive attacks, rather than a Follower. 

Wilson:

Now the scientist, well this is a hard one, since hes basically perkless outside of his Beard, lore wise its confirmed he has created some of the items the survivors use, like the Seafaring items, so maybe we could head towards him having unique crafts related to science. 

But once again, kinda hard, he is basically a clean slate, but WX was basically that and he arguably had the best refresh to date, so who knows, we could get quite a surprise for this gentlemen, like a alchemist of sorts, since his animation showed him trying to make a sort of potion apparently (which literally blew up on his face) 

A few years ago I suggested that Wilson could be able to copy his prototyped crafts in blueprints, so he could basically share crafts to new players arriving and make the grind of boss loot blueprints optional if you take the time to have a Wilson for it. I know surprisingly more Wilson player than I'd have imagined that are good at the game and they mostly play on the public side of the game, this should make it quite reliable and friendly to server newcomers. At least could be one aspect of the rework, wonder how much is considered but even today I'm still looking forward this little idea. :wilson_dorky:

12 minutes ago, ADM said:

A few years ago I suggested that Wilson could be able to copy his prototyped crafts in blueprints, so he could basically share crafts to new players arriving and make the grind of boss loot blueprints optional if you take the time to have a Wilson for it. I know surprisingly more Wilson player than I'd have imagined that are good at the game and they mostly play on the public side of the game, this should make it quite reliable and friendly to server newcomers. At least could be one aspect of the rework, wonder how much is considered but even today I'm still looking forward this little idea. :wilson_dorky:

I could see that as a side perk, since, not that useful when Solo. 

I don’t care too much about what they’ll do for maxwell, I just want the rework to be cool, like I want to be thinking to myself “this is really sick” as I’m reading through the list of his new perks on the forum post.

As for Wilson, I also don’t care too much, but I’d much prefer if he’d still remain a simpler character. Of course not smth as simple as rn, but if they can make him more fun without introducing some new crazy mechanic exclusive to him, or giving him some game-changing upside/downside, then I’d be happy.

44 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

wasn't it confirmed that Wilson will be next?

I doubt it, they just said something in the roadmap in the lines of "reworking W... I mean our last character".

I called it before and I'm gonna call it again, the last refresh will be Maxwell's redemption into William Carter. Or Maxwell reaching a state of inner peace and becoming Waxwell.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong.

27 minutes ago, mr. brj said:

I doubt it, they just said something in the roadmap in the lines of "reworking W... I mean our last character".

I called it before and I'm gonna call it again, the last refresh will be Maxwell's redemption into William Carter. Or Maxwell reaching a state of inner peace and becoming Waxwell.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong.

roadmap announcement 3 new reworks this year and had image included with Wilson Wicker and Wx

1 hour ago, Eughstein said:

roadmap announcement 3 new reworks this year and had image included with Wilson Wicker and Wx

When was Wilson ever not in a roadmap poster?:P I don't think we can count this as confirmed information.

But still, this is a really good point and now I'm even more convinced that we are gonna get a William Carter redemption.

48 minutes ago, mr. brj said:

When was Wilson ever not in a roadmap poster?:P I don't think we can count this as confirmed information.

But still, this is a really good point and now I'm even more convinced that we are gonna get a William Carter redemption.

They literally called it "setting the stage update" like stage? Maxwell? Hello?

16 hours ago, Dollmaker said:

Btw im back :v 

So Wicker got her refresh now, which now only leaves the OGs, Maxwell and Wilson.

I think most of us agree that Maxwell will be next, since Wilson is kinda the poster boy of Dont Starve, which will likely make him the last to get his refresh. 

Maxwell:

So Dapper boi, what do you think about him? and what would you change?

Some QoL changes i would make:

1.- Remove the "Crafting station" from the Codex Umbra, and allow to just craft by having the book on your inventory. 

2.- Some control over the Shadows, similar to Abigail, allowing to turn them into a passive state, this is specially true for the farmer ones, since you are pretty much forced to get rid of them to stop them from messing up the base, like Twiggy and Marble Trees. 

3.- Remove the Tool requirement for crafting? i mean, i think the Fuel is enough of a price, and having to craft these tools each time can be a bit bothersome. 

Design wise:

Maybe more focus on dmg rather than farming? this mainly comes from his low HP, which could make him a glass cannon type of character, but he does normal dmg, has no bonus for Shadow Weaponry, and his Duelist arent exactly that good either, they get killed easily and their kiting isnt the greatest either. 

One idea that fits is turning his Duelists into the Forge variant, where it was a Burst attack from consecutive attacks, rather than a Follower. 

Wilson:

Now the scientist, well this is a hard one, since hes basically perkless outside of his Beard, lore wise its confirmed he has created some of the items the survivors use, like the Seafaring items, so maybe we could head towards him having unique crafts related to science. 

But once again, kinda hard, he is basically a clean slate, but WX was basically that and he arguably had the best refresh to date, so who knows, we could get quite a surprise for this gentlemen, like a alchemist of sorts, since his animation showed him trying to make a sort of potion apparently (which literally blew up on his face) 

How's it going everybody? Klei entertainment here and

Changes: 

- Wilson can now craft wigs for the pigs to wear

- Wilson can now craft unibrow Wax for the pigs

- Wilson can now craft a radio on a stick and also adventure mode DST equivelant is added and another cyclum puzzle

- Wilson can now build vertically

- Wilson can kill the pig king now

- Wilson can build a noob statue so he never really dies

-  Shaving is now dynamic and involves a minigame

- Wilson can now build a barber shop and get haircuts

- Wilson's landlord has been added to the game and attempts to kill hiim every other day

- Wilson now has a science meter

- Research points are added back into the game by popular demand, wilson is the only one with the normal crafting system

4 hours ago, _Ellat_ said:

They literally called it "setting the stage update" like stage? Maxwell? Hello?

Sorry, I don't understand if you are opposing to my idea or if you are agreeing with it:D

Either way, they are calling the content updates "setting the stage updates". First one to be set on the stage was the Moon Quay update, which had to do with Wagstaff and the unnatural portal he left behind.

The Constant has not been Maxwell's stage for a long time too, so I don't think the content updates can provide us with reasonable clues as to who the last rework will feature.

I hope Wilson gets some pretty crazy changes tbh.. I mean he literally endured 5 randomly generated worlds of Maxwells torture and then choose to forgive Maxwell taking his place as prisoner to the nightmare throne- Then along comes Charlie who frees him from the chair and DSTs story arch starts.

Wilson isn’t just the blundering failed scientist anymore, he was promised (and even found) secret knowledges!

And if Woodie getting new transformations can be explained away as when he is pulled from his Solo survival Realm into the Multiplayer Realm of DST and meets up with Wickerbottom who teaches him how to build his transformation idols and use his curse to his own advantage.. then I’m pretty sure Wilson can also get a continued story narrative/deeper gameplay.

Maxwell on the other hand, has various Klei art of being able to pull more then just shadow workers of himself from his book- and I’d really like to see what all the former Nightmare King can actually summon out that book.. He’s seen boosting Wolfgang’s strength to crazy powers in Wolfgang’s short so I’m pretty sure that is definitely going to be a thing in his rework.

i find wilson to be the vanilla character and thats acceptable, just how wes suppose to be the challenge character it is ok to have a very basic protagonist for those that care very little about perks and cons

Maxwell needs that rework since he been outclass by every new character and rework

8 hours ago, chincer said:

i find wilson to be the vanilla character and thats acceptable, just how wes suppose to be the challenge character it is ok to have a very basic protagonist for those that care very little about perks and cons

Maxwell needs that rework since he been outclass by every new character and rework

I wonder how people deal with Wes mediocre efficiency at farming Logs and Stone, that must be torture lol.

My man Maxwell deserves much more than what he gets RN. You're telling me, the creator of the Constant, the Shadow King, the guy that created the King of Winter, the man who unlocked immortality and teleportation in the real world, the man who caused a million dead Wilsons in Don't Starve's beginning, who created the giants of the world, who created an entire ocean just to watch Wilson suffer, who killed children for fun, the man who was quite literally god with the power of the shadows and the best S tier chin in fiction, IS JUST WOODIE +?

If I had to choose, make him take more damage with his 75 health. He should be as fragile as can be, take the idea of a glass cannon from Wanda and crank it up to 11. He should be the hardest character to play, (besides Wes) but also one of the more stronger ones. Then let him unleash the full power of the Codex Umbra. Maybe some cool spells like maybe a reverse Lunar Grimoire, some sort of early game teleportation, early access to magic items and other utilities and a shadow puppet rework ( cuz those things suck, The DST Minus Maxwell mod handled it pretty well. Maybe Klei could use that system) He should also take more Lunar damage, since.. you know shadows. IK my changes might make him sound too strong, but honestly he deserves it. IK he no longer has the power of the throne, but the Codex Umbra is extremelly powerful and I think its about due time its full power is unleashed in Dont Starve

50 minutes ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

My man Maxwell deserves much more than what he gets RN. You're telling me, the creator of the Constant, the Shadow King, the guy that created the King of Winter, the man who unlocked immortality and teleportation in the real world, the man who caused a million dead Wilsons in Don't Starve's beginning, who created the giants of the world, who created an entire ocean just to watch Wilson suffer, who killed children for fun, the man who was quite literally god with the power of the shadows and the best S tier chin in fiction, IS JUST WOODIE +?

If I had to choose, make him take more damage with his 75 health. He should be as fragile as can be, take the idea of a glass cannon from Wanda and crank it up to 11. He should be the hardest character to play, (besides Wes) but also one of the more stronger ones. Then let him unleash the full power of the Codex Umbra. Maybe some cool spells like maybe a reverse Lunar Grimoire, some sort of early game teleportation, early access to magic items and other utilities and a shadow puppet rework ( cuz those things suck, The DST Minus Maxwell mod handled it pretty well. Maybe Klei could use that system) He should also take more Lunar damage, since.. you know shadows. IK my changes might make him sound too strong, but honestly he deserves it. IK he no longer has the power of the throne, but the Codex Umbra is extremelly powerful and I think its about due time its full power is unleashed in Dont Starve

I dont think people would play a character that could potentially die in 1 to 2 hits even with armor...

Also worth pointing out that Maxwell most likely doesnt know how to use the Codex Umbra to its fullest potential, something Wortox even mentions. 

On 7/16/2022 at 2:09 AM, Dollmaker said:

Some control over the Shadows, similar to Abigail, allowing to turn them into a passive state,

If you punch them they stop working. 

On 7/16/2022 at 2:09 AM, Dollmaker said:

Maybe more focus on dmg rather than farming?

I hope not. There's already so many characters who focus on fighting. 

15 hours ago, Baark0 said:

I think the whole no trait thing should be done away with, make wilson an interesting and unique character to play as

He is an interesting unique character to play as. If he had powerful upsides he would be less unique and just like the other 17 characters. Why don't you just play as them? 

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

He is an interesting unique character to play as. If he had powerful upsides he would be less unique and just like the other 17 characters. Why don't you just play as them? 

1.-Punching them should just be to get rid of them permanently, having a way to pacify them like Abigail would be good overall and has no real downsides.

2.-And does it matter?, several characters are good at different things, i dont think people would care if he had better DPS, specially considering his HP. 

3.-This argument makes no sense, he would literally have unique abilities to him, which simply change from him being basically a blank slate, he would still be unique, like all other characters are unique in their own way. 

40 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Just like in real life

Maybe because fighting is one of most important part of the game and it would be really good if character with lowest hp in game had at least some perk that would help him surviving yk

"If character was more unique he would be less unique"

3 hours ago, Dollmaker said:

I dont think people would play a character that could potentially die in 1 to 2 hits even with armor...

Also worth pointing out that Maxwell most likely doesnt know how to use the Codex Umbra to its fullest potential, something Wortox even mentions. 

The damage taken increase could always be changed, and while Maxwell cant use the full power (that part of the post was more hyperbole, the parts he does know how to use are extremelly powerful. We know he has the power of Teleportation and resurrection and probably even more.

Just now, LiamAshvinn001 said:

The damage taken increase could be modified, and while Maxwell cant use the full power (that part of the post was more hyperbole, the parts he does know how to use are extremelly powerful. We know he has the power of Teleportation and resurrection and probably even more.

I mean most of those powers came from the Nightmare Throne i believe, if you recall, in the comic he tries to use his powers after being freed and doesnt work.

3 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

I mean most of those powers came from the Nightmare Throne i believe, if you recall, in the comic he tries to use his powers after being freed and doesnt work.

Yes, but the Codex Umbra is also powerful. IIRC in the real world (no nightmare throne) he had the power of Resurrection and Teleportation (as i said earlier)

Archived