Wickerbottom "rework" is full of creativity and im really happy with it.

First i have to say thanks to klei for making all these reworks cause you know they are for free and i think some characters didnt need a rework, and klei still worked hard to at least make something new for them, so yeah thanks for that.

This rework or refresh or whatever gave wicker more books which is the only thing wicker needed in the first place, she was a good character before this rework and even if some people think she was boring before the true is that enjoyment is relative.

Now the reason why i personally think this rework is fine is cause she is the same as before, i mean she has always been like that. Some people think she is boring, and well of course! thats her personality, she is a librarian for the sake of god XD, she is supposed to be like that. If you think about the most boring job to get, being a librarian is not in the top 10?

Gosh i actually like this of her, she is not supposed to be like wolfgang or wigfrid or the robot, she is just a normal old lady with a big passion for books, but in the real life books dont have magic powers, the only power the books have, its the power of the imagination, which is the reason wicker can do all those crazy stuff in game, who would understand the books better than her, thats her special talent people!

She is just a librarian and a writer, but thats all, and the reason she is great in dont starve is cause this is a magic world. Maybe that was the reason she is here in the first place, maybe she was a little boring of the routine and she wanted to explore the world for make new books of her discoverings so maxwell offered her a place where her books would come to life, and thats the reason she can do magic with just normal books, who knows.

The only thing that i feel this rework need is making all the other character to be able to read some books, not all of them btw, but instead of doing something incredible, just like wicker, they are just gonna gain or lose some sanity just like wurt yeah. This would make wicker the only one who can really read the books, cause she is the most smart and creative person in dst and thats the reason she can make the books do magic. Remember it's not the weapon, it's the person who use the weapon.

thats all, thanks for read.:wickerbottomthanks:

4 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Funny, i actually read him before and i do agree that maybe klei could have done something more interesting but the true is wicker doesnt need more than this, she was not a bad character to beggin with.

1 minute ago, NekoSoulx said:

Funny, i actually read him before and i do agree that maybe klei could have done something more interesting but the true is wicker doesnt need more than this, she was not a bad character to beggin with.

nobody played wickerbottom after rwys

1 minute ago, Scrimbles said:

And I'd argue it wasn't truly because she was nerfed, it was because once she doesn't have those overpowered spells... what else does she have?

at least now she is gonna have new books, but to being honest being able to craft a backpack and a lot of recipes with no machine and only using the alchemy engine for a book was pretty good, solid gameplay.

they did not expand upon wickerbottoms downside at all, she is just another character that has no downsides and has nothing but good stuff on her side like wx and wolfgang, the rework also has very questionable decisions like making the book that makes the whole world be on full moon cheap yet making the book that spawns a little bit of light expensive

14 minutes ago, NekoSoulx said:

First i have to say thanks to klei for making all these reworks cause you know they are for free and i think some characters didnt need a rework, and klei still worked hard to at least make something new for them, so yeah thanks for that.

While it is true that this update is free, It's still reasonable to critique whatever they make. They are still motivated by money afterall, and it's a change to a game that we bought.

This rework or refresh or whatever gave wicker more books which is the only thing wicker needed in the first place, she was a good character before this rework and even if some people think she was boring before the true is that enjoyment is relative.

Now the reason why i personally think this rework is fine is cause she is the same as before, i mean she has always been like that. Some people think she is boring, and well of course! thats her personality, she is a librarian for the sake of god XD, she is supposed to be like that. If you think about the most boring job to get, being a librarian is not in the top 10?

Honestly... not really. While it is true that preference is subjective, Wicker herself has always been extremely boring. She's always been defined by only her books. And even then, It was basically just "On tentacles" and "Applied silviculture/advanced horticulture". "Birds of the World" if you're feeling bold. While the update does give Wicker more to do, it doesn't do anything to make Wicker herself more interesting.

Gosh i actually like this of her, she is not supposed to be like wolfgang or wigfrid or the robot, she is just a normal old lady with a big passion for books, but in the real life books dont have magic powers, the only power the books have, its the power of the imagination, which is the reason wicker can do all those crazy stuff in game, who would understand the books better than her, thats her special talent people!

I mean sure. But they still could have expanded on her in other ways. Maybe she would have to research things to unlock her book like WX's circuits. Or maybe her advanced knowledge makes her better at crafting or using objects.

She is just a librarian and a writer, but thats all, and the reason she is great in dont starve is cause this is a magic world. Maybe that was the reason she is here in the first place, maybe she was a little boring of the routine and she wanted to explore the world for make new books of her discoverings so maxwell offered her a place where her books would come to life, and thats the reason she can do magic with just normal books, who knows.

I'm... failing too see your point. Yes, Wicker's the book lady. That doesn't mean she couldn't be more than the book lady.

The only thing that i feel this rework need is making all the other character to be able to read some books, not all of them btw, but instead of doing something incredible, just like wicker, they are just gonna gain or lose some sanity just like wurt yeah. This would make wicker the only one who can really read the books, cause she is the most smart and creative person in dst and thats the reason she can make the books do magic. Remember it's not the weapon, it's the person who use the weapon.

thats all, thanks for read.:wickerbottomthanks:

See above.

7 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

And I'd argue it wasn't truly because she was nerfed, it was because once she doesn't have those overpowered spells... what else does she have?

Personally I stopped playing Wicker because everyone wanted her hit with hard Nerfing into the ground..

But to answer your question she now has a book that gives everyone access to crafting recipes without needing the machines required to do so, and according to the post- this extends beyond just tier 1 science machines all the way up to Shadow Manipulator crafts, Which is absolutely OP.. at least in the first few days of a new start world.

Really great book for team work TBH.. but I fear it will just make other players pester the heck out of the Wicker players into using the book for them. :( 

They already would do silly crap like REPORT YOU TO XBOX LIVE for not building them a Backpack day 1- so I shutter to think of the harm this book is going to cause.

2 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

While it is true that this update is free, It's still reasonable to critique whatever they make. They are still motivated by money afterall, and it's a change to a game that we bought.

Honestly... not really. While it is true that preference is subjective, Wicker herself has always been extremely boring. She's always been defined by only her books. And even then, It was basically just "On tentacles" and "Applied silviculture/advanced horticulture". "Birds of the World" if you're feeling bold. While the update does give Wicker more to do, it doesn't do anything to make Wicker herself more interesting.

I mean sure. But they still could have expanded on her in other ways. Maybe she would have to research things to unlock her book like WX's circuits. Or maybe her advanced knowledge makes her better at crafting or using objects.

I'm... failing too see your point. Yes, Wicker's the book lady. That doesn't mean she couldn't be more than the book lady.

See above.

First i never say that its unreasonable or bad to critique this update, and if you thought that i was trying to imply that, well thats on you, i was just thanking klei thats all.

Second its not smart to think all character of a game have to be the more fun or interesting ones, thas on your mind again lmao, wicker is what she is, she is not wx-78, comparing an old lady librarian with a robot doesnt make much sense in my opinion, however i understand your point.

And last but not least if you are failing to see my point its cause theres not point besides a funny theory i made, but thanks for reading my post. <3

7 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

This is a silly argument. If warly didn't have his dishes, what would he have? If Wortox didn't have his souls what would he have? If wanda didn't have her clocks what would she have. The books are her gimick, she is Wilson, but with occasional admin powers--and that's okay!

What do you propose if this wasn't satisfactory?

6 hours ago, hhh2 said:

This is a silly argument. If warly didn't have his dishes, what would he have? If Wortox didn't have his souls what would he have? If wanda didn't have her clocks what would she have. The books are her gimick, she is Wilson, but with occasional admin powers--and that's okay!

What do you propose if this wasn't satisfactory?

Warly would still have a portable crock pot, and a downside that revolves around making food. Food is core to his playstyle.

Wortox would have nothing, because souls are a mechanic that are unique to Wortox, and have a variety of uses, and ways to be obtained.

Wanda has her unique health bar that can only be sustained by her clock, though to be fair I don't think enough of her items interact with this.

Name me anything that is core to Wickers playstyle, core to her character. Some unique mechanic she possess that aren't just random spells with no cohesion. Of course it's a silly argument when you boil down the meaning and ignore what I've said.

1 hour ago, Scrimbles said:

Name me anything that is core to Wickers playstyle, core to her character. Some unique mechanic she possess that aren't just random spells with no cohesion. Of course it's a silly argument when you boil down the meaning and ignore what I've said.

Its literally just her books dude. She’s literally a spellcaster. I dont know why every character needs to be complicated, she can just be a spellcaster, her weakness is a lack of innate ability. But theres nothing wrong with a character that just has a toolbox and is otherwise useless. 

7 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Its literally just her books dude. She’s literally a spellcaster. I dont know why every character needs to be complicated, she can just be a spellcaster, her weakness is a lack of innate ability. But theres nothing wrong with a character that just has a toolbox and is otherwise useless. 

It's because she is notorious for being boring, and adding more of what she already had won't solve the problem.

It's because I like her character, and the idea of a librarian as a character, but any and all opportunities to play around with any of that has been squandered.

Because Klei took the easiest way out of a Wicker refresh.

Wx was the same way, until they got the whole module / charge / scanning system. I don't think its fully realized, or balanced at all, but it was a huge improvement into making WX an actually interesting character. The same argument you're applying could be applied to WX too, Wx had overcharge, that was their thing, they don't need to be complicated and their weakness was lack of other abilities.

53 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

It's because she is notorious for being boring, and adding more of what she already had won't solve the problem.

Notorious for some people considering her boring at least, i always thought she was pretty cool, i loved having messy tentacle patches as an alternative to hound traps. The only reason i quit playing her was that i couldnt do all that much. I mean i think that problem has been solved. I mean a character with a toolkit is only as good as their toolkit, and hers was upgraded. Its fine if YOU want a more inherent ability for wickerbottom, but im good, i think shes good. Wx was boring (and still kind of is imho) because he doesnt do anything too special, he just has better stats. But boring for me is not for everyone. Wicker only got boring when i ran out of creative ways to use her TWO useful books.  She now has about a dozen its not much of a comparison, plus they’re now rechargable

I just dont know what you’re asking for when you say “librarian perks” is she gonna copy walter and read stories?

16 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

nobody played wickerbottom after rwys

Actually I find Wicker to be the most versatile character to my playstyle, I play mostly as her, and mass produce food to feed entire servers, among other things.

2 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

I always end up sleeping and tentacle spanking most of the constant, while using mass darts which I can easily craft and feeding lazy servers. Now I have yet to see what new things I can make with the new toys.

Sounds very exciting to me.

1 hour ago, Copyafriend said:

She’s literally a spellcaster. I dont know why every character needs to be complicated, she can just be a spellcaster, her weakness is a lack of innate ability. But theres nothing wrong with a character that just has a toolbox and is otherwise useless. 

Mostly this. The fact that doing stuff that consume sanity when at 0 sanity or near zero now spawn nightmare creatures on her, is actually a pretty big con added as well. I tried spamming book usage as I did before and ended up with 6 terrorbeaks on me

39 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I always end up sleeping and tentacle spanking most of the constant, while using mass darts which I can easily craft and feeding lazy servers. Now I have yet to see what new things I can make with the new toys.

Sounds very exciting to me.

Okay but this has nothing to do with what I said.

Archived