Carnivorous Beefalo might be cool

27 minutes ago, Lizardhiney said:

haha, how do you think that'd work?

Probably using intimidation. After killing enough of their hounds and lowering their health to ~100 they might cower and become docile, kind of like Woby when you get hit while riding her. At that point you can feed the Varg and something something they’ll be tamed. 

I don’t know how I’d feel about tameable Vargs but this is how I’d imagine it.

Yeah taming Vargs could be interesting.

This is sort of how I imagine it should be, to make it different form an ornery beefalo:

• Eat 75 hunger in meat every day, but require nothing fed to mount it again (as long as it was fed at least once a day for 75 hunger or more). Salt licks would make no sense for keeping it penned.
    So it would be more expensive to keep and more annoying too, but it would compensate for it.
  • Deal more damage than the ornery beefalo, but be slower in running speed. The ornery and default beefalos have a speed of 7, and the Varg has a default speed of 5.5. Maybe tamed the base damage should go up to 68, giving a whooping 84 base damage with a war saddle (or a decent speed with a glossamer). With Warly spices the damage could be even higher.
  • Unlike the beefalo, be able to eat jellybeans and get its effect
  • HP Regeneration for X amount of time (depending the amount of meat given) faster than the regen of the beefalo, but limited in time. You can probably make it eat creatures you killed while mounted (meat from the floor) for more regen.
  • While riding it, make you neutral to all hounds
  • Beefalo bell would make no sense for it, it would require a different Item to keep it on a leash.
  • You can leave it in a pen or parked in a place for a few days without any food, you just won't be able to mount it as long as it's starving. It may also lose some HP every day starving.
  • After not being fed for 5 days it will go feral and start summoning hounds again (and try to eat you). Maybe it could howl a couple of times a day before that happens as a warning sign that your Varg is about to make a mess. Whatever item it was chosen to keep it on a leash will lose all effects once it goes feral.

4 hours ago, HellHeater said:

you can try taming vargs

Taming and Rding a Varg oh my yes !

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Could just add a varg costume to the beefalo. 

It would be weird having a big dog that moos

4 hours ago, deemo_ said:

Probably using intimidation. After killing enough of their hounds and lowering their health to ~100 they might cower and become docile, kind of like Woby when you get hit while riding her. At that point you can feed the Varg and something something they’ll be tamed. 

Yea like in Far Cry Primal you beat the crap out of the animal in 1v1 combat then try to "bond" with it afterwards xD and it becomes your best friend forever.

14 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Beefalo bell would make no sense for it, it would require a different Item to keep it on a leash.

That item could be the tail o' three cats. One hit would be "follow" and two would be "stay in place". Something appropriate since you are taming a ferocious beast.

On 6/30/2022 at 12:03 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

maybe would be nice to be able tame a varg so we have a mount that can be teach to poop outside of base

Klei, this is the most important thing that would ever be added to the game ;) 

On 6/29/2022 at 2:33 PM, ShadowDuelist said:

Yeah taming Vargs could be interesting.

This is sort of how I imagine it should be, to make it different form an ornery beefalo:

• Eat 75 hunger in meat every day, but require nothing fed to mount it again (as long as it was fed at least once a day for 75 hunger or more). Salt licks would make no sense for keeping it penned.
    So it would be more expensive to keep and more annoying too, but it would compensate for it.
  • Deal more damage than the ornery beefalo, but be slower in running speed. The ornery and default beefalos have a speed of 7, and the Varg has a default speed of 5.5. Maybe tamed the base damage should go up to 68, giving a whooping 84 base damage with a war saddle (or a decent speed with a glossamer). With Warly spices the damage could be even higher.
  • Unlike the beefalo, be able to eat jellybeans and get its effect
  • HP Regeneration for X amount of time (depending the amount of meat given) faster than the regen of the beefalo, but limited in time. You can probably make it eat creatures you killed while mounted (meat from the floor) for more regen.
  • While riding it, make you neutral to all hounds
  • Beefalo bell would make no sense for it, it would require a different Item to keep it on a leash.
  • You can leave it in a pen or parked in a place for a few days without any food, you just won't be able to mount it as long as it's starving. It may also lose some HP every day starving.
  • After not being fed for 5 days it will go feral and start summoning hounds again (and try to eat you). Maybe it could howl a couple of times a day before that happens as a warning sign that your Varg is about to make a mess. Whatever item it was chosen to keep it on a leash will lose all effects once it goes feral.

not before koalefant

On 6/30/2022 at 10:53 AM, DeadWhereX said:

That item could be the tail o' three cats. One hit would be "follow" and two would be "stay in place". Something appropriate since you are taming a ferocious beast.

they discarted that fom taming beefalos but with vargs would be cool to finally added it but i doubt it since they might not want to ass that kind of cruelty (and for that was discarted for beefalo taming)

22 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

But we already have a carnivorous beefalo did we all forget about our good girl Woby...

The issue with woby (and could stand to be changed) is that she's outclassed by a beefalo in every way. 

As a mount, the beefalo is faster (default speed is lower, but saddle gives bonus speed), deals more (any) damage, and doesn't buck you off when hit.

It would be nice if woby had anything she was better at, but outside of early game, she's much worse than a beefalo.

The inventory is nice, but also can be used at small size.

30 minutes ago, HumanBean150 said:

The issue with woby (and could stand to be changed) is that she's outclassed by a beefalo in every way. 

As a mount, the beefalo is faster (default speed is lower, but saddle gives bonus speed), deals more (any) damage, and doesn't buck you off when hit.

It would be nice if woby had anything she was better at, but outside of early game, she's much worse than a beefalo.

And beefalo are outclassed by Wanda in every way. You guys like to talk about "Hypothetically speaking, if you have been on the same world since the game came out" way too much. The vast majority of people are not playing on the same world for a huge amount of time so I don't see why the game should exclusively cater to them. 

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

they discarted that fom taming beefalos but with vargs would be cool to finally added it but i doubt it since they might not want to ass that kind of cruelty (and for that was discarted for beefalo taming)

Which is a shame.. 

This game is full of cruelty against various creatures and exploiting them by all means necessary for your own advantage.

Whipping a vicious monster that wants to rip your face off in order to "tame" it couldn't be that bad.

4 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Which is a shame.. 

This game is full of cruelty against various creatures and exploiting them by all means necessary for your own advantage.

Whipping a vicious monster that wants to rip your face off in order to "tame" couldn't be that bad.

that remembers me these: image.png.ea047b3b31b153a73cc7a100a51c624b.png which makes me sad

1 hour ago, ALCRD said:

Which is a shame.. 

Whipping a vicious monster that wants to rip your face off in order to "tame" it couldn't be that bad.

Maxwell mains be like

2 hours ago, HumanBean150 said:

:grumpy: Still waiting for option to kill Woby...

Let me fix this thread for you OP- Carnivous Catmando** might be cool.

Listen Klei there’s already scrapped animations of it we all know it once was going to be a “Thing” 

And as OP states a mount that only eats meat might be a cool and fun concept.. but I don’t think “Beefalo” fit the idea.

On 6/29/2022 at 1:00 PM, deemo_ said:

makes me think of how you can befriend damaged clockworks. because presumably nobody takes care of them anymore

Archived