Carrot regrowth rate?

I haven't played Don't Starve very long yet, but I seem to have a bit of an oddity in my current world. There's a grassy rabbit meadow near the starting point where I was able to find a few carrots to bait my traps. But every game, after a few days in, I always end up with the same problem: no new carrots appear. There's a huge population of rabbits frolicking in the meadow, but I have no bait for my traps!

So... is it an issue with just my currently generated world or something else? Do carrots regrow or do I need to farm them for more? What's their regrowth rate, if they do?

Carrots can be grown on a farms from seeds and their grown rate strictly depends of farm-lvl. And it's always random which type of vegetable\fruit will be grown.

I must add that using traps to get morsel (rabbit meat) is quite uneffective. U waste some resourses including non-respawning carrots, and, most importantly, you waste a lot of time waiting for rabbits get trapped.

Sometimes u can find a huge population of rabbits on a island, so u can run after them until they got trapped between you and water, and simply hit them with any tool or spear. I got 20 morsels one day using this tactic.

I must add that using traps to get morsel (rabbit meat) is quite uneffective. U waste some resourses including non-respawning carrots

thats actually wrong, you don't need carrots as bait, at least as long as there are rabbit holes, you just need to put the trap right on top of the hole and the rabbits will trap themself as Soon as they get in or out of it, so everything you need to trap a rabbit is completely regrowing.
and, most importantly, you waste a lot of time waiting for rabbits get trapped.

this is absolutely wrong, the trap works without you, so trapping a rabbit with a trap consumes 0 of your time after you planted it because you don't have to wait till it gets trapped, while chasing rabbits to the edges of an island takes active playtime from you. I am not saying that you can't get more morsel faster without traps, but saying trapping takes more time than active hunting is just plain wrong.

Sometimes u can find a huge population of rabbits on a island, so u can run after them until they got trapped between you and water, and simply hit them with any tool or spear. I got 20 morsels one day using this tactic.

the technique you use definately is the "better" choice early on in the game, if you think you can not effort the resources for traps.

later on in game, traps are far superior to active hunting, since you should have lots of twigs and grass available to you.

The most time efficient way to get rabbit morsel is to have a camp that has 4 or 5 holes within the fire pit light radius and the same number of traps. this can net you with 20+ morsels in one night while you still have the time to cook them, do inventory management and what ever you want to do at night.

Best way to catch rabbits is either put a trap on top of the their holes or what I do is I look for their hole and I make sure they have to run into my path to get to their hole. Once they see me and run towards me (they have to run into you to get to their hole) just hold down attack and once they get up to you, you will swing and kill the rabbit.

Rabbits are also attracted by berrys by the way ;) Another tactic I found out but not as good as the ones already said: Place the bait a bit away of the trap, so the trap is in the middle of the bait and the rabbit. The rabbit gets attracted but will be trapped before he can actually eat the bait, but you need to wait so no other rabbit will eat it away.

I've set up two traps at once on the same place and tryed to catch a rabbit this way and the result was that both traps were activated by one rabbit. I got 2 morsel from that...

Rabbits are also attracted by berrys by the way ;) Another tactic I found out but not as good as the ones already said: Place the bait a bit away of the trap, so the trap is in the middle of the bait and the rabbit. The rabbit gets attracted but will be trapped before he can actually eat the bait, but you need to wait so no other rabbit will eat it away.

I've set up two traps at once on the same place and tryed to catch a rabbit this way and the result was that both traps were activated by one rabbit. I got 2 morsel from that...

that's actually a pretty nifty idea, I will try that next time I play just to check it out :)

If it's necessary, you can also hunte the rabbits with your "weapons"

Every rabbit has it's own hole. So just find out, which rabbit belongs to which hole. After that, wait until the rabbit is a little bit away from its hole. Then attack from the hole to the rabbit, the rabbit will run into you = profit! You will never run out of morsel :)

Have fun, but if you have enough morsel, hunt with traps..the other way is like a cheat :p

Best wishes,

Seerox

Just plop a carrot down anywhere next to a rabbit. The bunny will slowly hop over to it and start nibbling. You can then run up to it and whack it. They don't run away if they are nibbling and if you do it within about 5 seconds the carrot won't be eaten and you can pick it back up. Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

Just plop a carrot down anywhere next to a rabbit. The bunny will slowly hop over to it and start nibbling. You can then run up to it and whack it. They don't run away if they are nibbling and if you do it within about 5 seconds the carrot won't be eaten and you can pick it back up. Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is probably the best technique out there to hunt rabbits actively. You don't have to figure out which rabbit goes to what hole and you don't loose resources (unless you are waaaay too slow).

Best way to passively hunt rabbits is placing a trap over the holes.

I should add that I get around 3 to 4 morsels a night just by having some rabbit holes in my camp itself. They still pop out for a look randomly and you can trap them by placing the traps over the holes.

Good catch, you should take this to the bug subforum ;)

Just like Seerox's technique I wait it out until 2 segments into the day when the bunnies are a respectable distance from their holes,

Works at least 9 out of 10 times and I can grind for at least 15+ morsels a day in early game.

Still it is a bit illogical that they still run directly at their attacker even if they are above another rabbit hole.

I don't bother with rabbit traps anymore. The easiest way to catch rabbits is:

1) Equip any tool or weapon

2) Locate a bunny outside its hole (and determine/guess which hole it belongs to if there are multiple)

3) Skirt around the bunny (to avoid alerting it) until you are near its hole

4) Attack the bunny

Now you'll run at it and it will be spooked and run for its hole... then "slash" and 80% of the time it's a clean kill. You only miss every 1-in-5 tries would be my guess, but I think the odds are even better. I literally have so much meat chunks that I usually just leave them lying where the bunny died. When Kevin introduces rotting, then this will be an issue... :p