Stuff that`s annoying to do

The game is fun when you are doing meaningful things. Making cool designs, improving the base, exploring distant planetoids. But there`s the stuff you hate to do. Things that ake unnecssary amounts of clicks, require a ton of attention for no reason, stuff that needs to be toggled on and off all the time. Examples:

1. Critter feeders - They could be organized so much better without the baby critters being separate and critter morphs in a subcathegory.

2. Pinning resources - Requires you to scroll through the entire list to find the resource you want pinned. We should be able to pin a resource when clicking on a piece of it. And new resources should be at the top in the menu.

3. Transferring small amounts of resources between planetoids or rockets - Dupes don`t know the meaning of "a little" once you order to send something they`ll load all they can fit. Yes we got the meter valves which are nice but sometimes we want to send a single seed, egg or a single atmo suit and it`s way to little for a valve. Only way seems to be to set a storage bin with a specific amount then, drop it and sweep it to where it`s needed.

4. Moving critters between planetoids - moving them around your base is annoying enough but getting them into a rocket and out is a next level of annoyance. I wish we could have a critter container(maybe a cryo one) that would allow to move them around and not get released on drop.

5. Managing food spoilage and suit durability - You don`t want stale food in your rocket, neither you want a low durability suit during a space mission. But there`s no way to separate those. You can resort to not spoiling food or compost stale pieces but you can`t force a repair on a suit it should be a possibility.

6. Rad pills - You want the exposed dupes to use them but that requires to turn it on and off when dupes get exposed (like during space missions). They should be used only when dupes get radiaiton symptoms.

7. Filters and valves - When constructed you need to look just in time to set the right parameters or it can lead to disaster when a valve is set to 100% or a filter lets everything through. It should be able to set them before they are constructed.

Anyone has more tedious tasks that take unncessary time and attention to do?

13 hours ago, goboking said:

Disabling disinfect for multiple tiles one at a time.

you can go to germ overlay and set "Desifect at:" to max value. It should disable it for everything

Moving material from planetoid to planetoid is something I find annoying.  It either takes an Interplanetary Launcher which requires Radbolts.  Or you have to load up a rocket and do a space mission.

I wish there was a non-Radbolt version of the launcher even if it required ridiculous amounts of power or another piece of buildable infrastructure to help with logistics.  Drone cargo ships, buildable teleporters, space tubes or even single use cargo rockets using any number of the fuels available.

One thing I really find annoying to do consistently is making liquid locks. There is a much more simple method that could be implemented to do this, and it would be great if someone could mod this in already regardless of whether it gets added (it should) and that is using a tool (either existing one or a new one in the tool menu) to spill a specific amount of a liquid in a tile.

Basically when you would open the tool, you could set the amount to, say 100kg for example, then select a liquid and then select tiles where you want that liquid spilled. Duplicants could then take the specific amount of that liquid if it's bottled or use the pitcher pump to grab the exact amount and spill it in that tile. No more micro-managing bottle emptiers or building liquid shutoffs with liquid pipes going all the way to the area to make liquid locks. Ideally I would like liquid locks largely to be almost replaced by a building which would allow duplicants to pass without gas or liquid spilling over to the other side, but even so this mechanic would be extremely useful for other things like spilling exact amount of salt water over waterweed or crude oil over steam turbines for faster heat absorption without flooding them for example.

Ah yes, it can be certainly frustrating. I am still new to the game, and I might have used small amount of water, and when I brought ice to the base, it just disappeared. A new building would be handy for sure, like and airlock. That way we would not have to use tricks to do a simple separation of living space and industrial areas.

On 5/6/2022 at 2:23 AM, Sasza22 said:

Anyone has more tedious tasks that take unncessary time and attention to do?

1. On game starts with smaller planetoids I find it very annoying to keep building SPOMs and aquatuner+steam turbine based cooling again and again.

There are probably not that many ways out of SPOM (oxyfern is limited and other sources won't last forever) and it's relatively easy to setup if you don't take cooling into account. Steam turbine is the main problem - delivering coolant, steel or gold amalgam, piping specific quantities of coolant into pipes and aquatuner's reservoir, sometimes adding airlocks to the mix, is excessively manual and half the time an overkill. AENT and worts help, but have understandable limits.

Would be nice to have some space radiator and/or thermoelectric generator.

2. Workforce on game starts with smaller planetoids is also fairly limited. With limited workforce expansion turns into a waiting game.

Even once you expand the workforce somewhat, a lot of those dupes end up idling because you can bring only so many dupes to a new planetoid with you.

Suggestion: expand rovers a bit. May be add a 'remotely' controlled rover, so that an 'idling' dupe goes to a control station and takes charge of a rover on another planetoid, rover will need periodical recharge and local dupe-time to maintain rovers.

On 5/6/2022 at 2:23 AM, Sasza22 said:

I wish we could have a critter container(maybe a cryo one)

If it's a cryo one, it probably can use some dupe made medicines to force critters into hybernation so that player's won't be able to 'preserve' critters on demand for free.

8 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

1. On game starts with smaller planetoids I find it very annoying to keep building SPOMs and aquatuner+steam turbine based cooling again and again.

Water being the only reliable source of oxygen causes that in SO. Personally i prefer open ended systyems and end up with hydrogen gathering on top of my bases and the generators are more for getting rid of the excess of it than for power but that`s just me. I guess setting up the same systems for each planetoid might get tedious.

8 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

2. Workforce on game starts with smaller planetoids is also fairly limited. With limited workforce expansion turns into a waiting game.

Ideally you would want to ferry most of your workforce to a new home but then you end up with morale and food issues while the base overproduces food. It is kinda annoying and i didn`t find the best solution yet. Honestly i think loading high level dupes into their own rockets with enough morale stuff inside would be a good option to use as a workforce to hop from planetoid to planetoid and build bases.

22 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

while the base overproduces food

You also have to overproduce food if you expect planetoid to act as a transit point or if there is a 'ferry' rocket traveling between two planetoids, which means that there is an 'on and off' dupe to feed. A lot of extra food. Often this means that you want for extra food not to spoil, which means building deep-freeze fridges on planetoids. One more thing to build again and again.

Plus pip-planting is overpowered and as a result becomes a go-to method for me (especially if there are no water sources). Major downside: can be very annoying to setup on each planetoid.

22 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Ideally you would want to ferry most of your workforce to a new home but then you end up with morale and food issues

Agree. Early game on 'harder' game starts, all I could send was two dupes, simply because starter planetoid's food wouldn't last in the fridge and local production didn't exist yet.

P.S. Would have been very nice to be able to set a proper travel route with more than one planetoid and rocket automation needs to provide more control to player.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:11 AM, ZombieDupe said:

using a tool (either existing one or a new one in the tool menu) to spill a specific amount of a liquid in a tile.

YES YES YES YES. And not just in spaced-out.

A manual filtered pump that loads pipes and you can specify a total amount. Make it slow and labor intensive for the dupes, not for us! Very useful when priming i.e. supercoolant loops or for the occasional far-from-home pump in the early game. Deconstruct the pipe(s) to spill on the floor.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:32 AM, pether said:

you can go to germ overlay and set "Desifect at:" to max value. It should disable it for everything

yeah then have the dupes endlessly disinfecting, ignoring all else until they starve. The best thing I ever found was turning it off.

You aren't wrong in that they will clean more, but using that as a workaround just leaves you open to issues that didn't need to happen in the first place.

One of my hard gripes is lighting, they simply refuse to indulge any new type of light, directional, intensity, hell colored lights would be cool af, esp if they were unified as a wall paper that maybe resembled a lava lamp, so where ever you built one, or a window? you could see that part of the optics beneath it.

But lighting overall, we had that lamp and the ceiling light. I mean, we get 30 happy funtime things, and practically no logical, reasonable, useable, desired things. But water coolers, but saunas, but colored projection panels... Nope batteries come in only two sizes forever. Must have exact same storage, forever.  And for the longest time, ridiculously ONE pump, forever! There is only one pump type that will ever be needed! Whatever....

Honestly I am surprised they are not on the tenth generation massage table, now only needs three times the power!

But not a better power generating cycle machine...

OOOOhhh! But ballons! But sparkles!!!! Whheeeee! Can we shake hands every time we pass? How about we hug??!?!?! WHHHEHEHHHEHEHeeee! AAAAwww but thats right, we're all gonna die in ten due to lack of oxygen, stay close everyone!

#SPARKLES!!!

On 6/22/2022 at 11:05 PM, AndreyKl said:

You also have to overproduce food if you expect planetoid to act as a transit point or if there is a 'ferry' rocket traveling between two planetoids, which means that there is an 'on and off' dupe to feed. A lot of extra food. Often this means that you want for extra food not to spoil, which means building deep-freeze fridges on planetoids. One more thing to build again and again.

It`s only necessary to have deep freezers when you want food for long space travels to remain close to 100% freshness. When just ferrying dupes you can let some of the food spoil when there are less dupes to feed. I often jus make special food for space missions that i wouldn`t make otherwise (pickled meal, grubfruit preserve) so i can make some just before the mission so it`s still fresh. Still kinda annoying to do everytime if i plan to travel regularly.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:05 PM, AndreyKl said:

Plus pip-planting is overpowered and as a result becomes a go-to method for me (especially if there are no water sources). Major downside: can be very annoying to setup on each planetoid.

I did fine in small colonies with ferrying water via rocket and i`m sure the payload launcher would do ok as well. As for pip planting i don`t bother most of the time. It`s annoying to set up and i`d rather go for an unoptimized setup with whatever is available on the planetoid. I might consider it on planetoids without any food sources though. Then again i might set up a mining rocket with a long lasting food source instead of making a proper base on those.

Rocket cargo transfer. Doesn't take much attention, but takes a lot of time, mostly for gasses:

1. Filling up rocket's gas tank with oxygen takes forever. Gas loaders accept gas at a snail's pace. On a gamestart with a large asteroids it isn't much of an issue, you just build more inputs (even more electrolyzers), but having a chain of loaders is too bulky for smaller planetoids.

Planetoid side of gas storage is also an issue in this case (without a door-pump based storage). Solids you can prepare in unlimited quantities reasonably easy. Liquids have reasonable storage. Only gasses are problematic to stockpile and take forever.

Suggestion: It would have been a lot nicer if gas loaders had two inputs or were smaller. A rocket platform extension with storage would be also very nice so that it will be possible to stockpile 1-2t of specific gas/liquid/solids specifically for a rocket.

2. Transferring cargo between rockets. Everything above, but multiplied.

Suggestion: rocket platform's 'exchange' module, when connected in between two platforms will exchange resources. May be something like a door UI, but with specific resources instead of dupes. Or a compactor like UI, but and an ability to set direction (needing two to send oxygen in one direction and fuel in another will still be better than having multiple sets of loaders&unloaders) 

On 6/25/2022 at 1:52 AM, Sasza22 said:

It`s only necessary to have deep freezers when you want food for long space travels to remain close to 100% freshness.

I didn't say that it's a necessity, just that a lot of people don't want to waste food. My internal 'hamster' has a heart attack each time something that isn't a peppernut spoils. The same reason people use water-airlocks. It isn't much of an issue if a bit of oxygen gets wasted, yet people still prefer not to.

On 7/3/2022 at 3:11 PM, AndreyKl said:

I didn't say that it's a necessity, just that a lot of people don't want to waste food. My internal 'hamster' has a heart attack each time something that isn't a peppernut spoils. The same reason people use water-airlocks. It isn't much of an issue if a bit of oxygen gets wasted, yet people still prefer not to.

I feel like people run themselves into a corner with thinking like this. The urge to not lose a single miligram of resources severely limits the design space you can use. You end up doing the same design over and over and run into roadblocks you made yourself. I`m not saying it`s a bad approach but it can slow you down a significant amount when you get stuck optimizing stuff that works fine (just not perfect) instead of going forward.

On 7/8/2022 at 6:53 PM, Sasza22 said:

I feel like people run themselves into a corner with thinking like this. The urge to not lose a single miligram of resources severely limits the design space you can use.

I enjoy this game because it allows me 'to not lose a single milligram' and get some form of sustainability, as far as I'm concerned that's the goal of the game. And it is done fine in vanila game (building a cold storage in vanila game isn't a problem, instead it allows going all out on it with transport tubes and the like), but from my point of view DLC adds too much repeatability into this.

P.S. ONI is one of the few games that makes life support matter and sufficiently complicated (in most games you just plop an oxygen generator and you are done). But building an asteroid spanning, complicated life support is fun only so many times.

Archived