Poll: What changes would you like to see for Walter, if any?

Poll: What changes would you like to see for Walter, if any?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see changes to Walter?

• No, the character is perfect already
    • No, the character is fine as is
    • Yes, but only some QoL changes
    • Yes, some new mechanics would be nice
    • Yes, and I would love to see a full rework
  2. 2. Walter changes:

• [Balance] Increase slingshot speed
    • [New] A new form of ammo that is AoE damage
    • [Art] Add munching animation to big woby
    • [Fix] Fix pushing woby out of a boat
    • [Balance] Woby knocks you off only after receiving X damage, instead of after 1 hit
    • [Fun] More campfire stories
    • [New] Spawns with his camping tent (useful for new players)
    • I don't like any of the above options
    • Something else (comment below)

Source thread is this:

Previously I asked "What character do you main?" and after, I contacted people that replied to the poll, I compiled a list of desired changes.

In this thread feel free to vote and discuss about this character.

My suggestions:

• Like Jan Mele said, poop pellets not triggering other pack mobs
  • Woby gaining extra inventory slots when she turns into big woby (extra 6 slots would be awesome)
  • His pinecone hat gains winter insulation alongside the hats summer insulation, buff both to tier 2 level insulation, thematic justification is his hat is specially made scout gear making it perfect for all weather types (maybe buff rain protection to 35% too) this will make the hat useful for other non walters players while also makin it unique clothing having both insulation types.
  • A couple more special slingshot round types. (A phlegm round that stuns mobs like freeze but allows for continuous hits on the mob without unfreezin like ice rounds.)
  • Qol: allow walter to inspect suspicious dirt piles while mounted on woby.
  • Walter being a boy scout should track animals from suspicious dirt piles faster (less dirt piles to inspect until animal spawns).
  • Increase dirt pile spawn rate around walter.

I think the slingshot is strong enough as is... if it gets buffed i wont complain but it can easily be mistakenly over-buffed to be too strong. Range combat in dst is hard to balance.

If it were me I would also remove some stuff, since am a fan of simple'n'neat design; but alas, let's go solely with "additives":

● slingshot's rate-of-fire slightly increased;
   ● more types of pellets (something Moon related too);
   ● as stated above, Poop Pellets made to de-aggro all herd-behavior mobs, not only one shot at;
   ● slowdown rounds maybe lasting longer;
   ● more Camfire stories - also not repeat same one in-a-row.

Count me in on a slightly faster Slingshot rate of fire. It isn't necessarily worse-than-a-spear bad unless you're fighting a training dummy or something, but there are a lot of cases where his Slingshot is just too slow to fight enemies.

I'd also like to see a buff to using Woby in combat, so I also picked the "x damage until you fall off" option. Because right now she's just atrocious, get hit once and you're stuck in a long animation that will probably be the end of you. Probably also a buff to slowdown rounds if only to make it viable to ride Woby and use them against fast bosses like Dragonfly/BQ so that there's an actually decent Slingshot method for them. (I have no idea if that would actually be good but it would be neat if it is.)

As for tents, I've heard that they're not good. Personally I use them quite a bit but then again I wouldn't call myself good at the game. Maybe instead of Walter having half the hunger drain, he sleeps harder? Gains double the health/sanity per second (and for balance purposes, also loses twice as much hunger per second as everyone else). Also, if his tent is near enough trees for his sanity bonus from trees to kick in, then it should continue to work even while he's sleeping.

I don't really think he should lose any of his existing perks, except for the faster cooking speed. There are already two other characters that have this and it feels a bit diminishing for him to also have it. Maybe if there were a marshmallow food item he could specifically cook that faster, but not everything. I also lowkey want Trail Mix to offer extra sanity instead of hunger.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:12 PM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

If it were me I would also remove some stuff, since am a fan of simple'n'neat design; but alas, let's go solely with "additives":

● slingshot's rate-of-fire slightly increased;
   ● more types of pellets (something Moon related too);
   ● as stated above, Poop Pellets made to de-aggro all herd-behavior mobs, not only one shot at;
   ● slowdown rounds maybe lasting longer;
   ● more Camfire stories - also not repeat same one in-a-row.

What would you remove and why?

On 5/5/2022 at 10:41 PM, Mysterious box said:

What would you remove and why?

Sanity from forest, Pinetree Pioneer Hat mechanic, the portable Tent, even Camfire stories - they all seem redundant to me; but I acknowledge it's because are superfluous to my play-style. Even ability to use on-the-go Willow's lighter and faster roasting, although quite useful, to me as well - still seem like clutter. For sure I would eliminate, if it was in my power, the sanity from trees, Pinetree Hat and Tent. Take into account this is my personal pov, and I don't dress is as something generally valid or desirable for bulk player-base. Also, in light of the other refreshes, Walter's kit doesn't seem that bloated anymore now. And yes, they're consistent with his boyscout persona - yet I for one would still subtract them.

I can respect that personally from my time revisiting Walter again for more clarity I feel like he needs a fairly big update to his slingshot simply due to how underwhelming it is despite how many ammo types there are

Pebbles are worthless only use I've found is slightly easier butterfly farming

Gold rounds is used simply because it's the most plentiful resource

Marbles are the best ammo type once you've set up a marble farm but even then they're not amazing or anything

Poop pellets I can't really find a use for they draw horde aggro and there's not really any cases I can think of where you need to stop a single mob

Freeze rounds are just a worse ice staff that can stack alot of charges in a single inventory slot yes each round is equal to 2 shots of a ice staff but that doesn't really matter when ice staffs can do more than 2 shots in the time it takes him to fire 1 round

Slow down rounds more or less fulfill their role ok I guess so I don't really have too much to say about them

Cursed rounds are possibly the biggest letdown of the ammo types I can't understand the design decision behind them it's a ranged ammo type that has a effect to punish stationary enemies and while there do exist some stationary enemies I can't imagine who would waste thulecite on such a situational ammo type a solution I think is change the effect to a dot effect on the target you hit when it triggers

Slingshot in my opinion should get multiple versions even if those newer versions require durability ideally 1 version that shoots fast and 1 version that fires scatter shots at multiple mobs. As it stands other characters can accomplish the ranged feats of his slingshot better thru other perks especially Webber. 

As for Woby in light of how much easier/better beefalo have become over her I feel like they may as well remove her bucking mechanic heck alot of Walters are beginning to just opt to train beefalo instead and just use her as storage.

Finally I feel like his combat sanity drain should be toned down equal to hp damage without the hat and half sanity damage with the hat.

I think the "perk soup" thing is a bit silly and gets overused as an argument a lot, but I do agree the bee allergy is a bit random and just makes the Bee Queen boss more of a pain for no reason really. While you could argue it loops back into Walter where he's encouraged to stay on Woby and use his slingshot to shoot at the BQ, that's, really boring gameplay haha. I honestly wouldn't mind this downside otherwise because I don't really get bothered by bees all that much, but the fact that Bee Queen exists makes the downside very annoying.

I've mentioned this over and over again in other threads where I've talked about Walter, but yes please make the poop pellets not draw herd aggro and make the slow down rounds slow an enemys attack cooldown too.

Dont play Walter but I have a friend who plays him constantly and she wishes some things were removed and added. 

Remove: 

- No sanity gain from being by trees, its a wierd useless mini-perk. 

- No more faster campfire cooking, I saw he is the same speed as Willow and that didnt sit right with me.

- Pinetree hat seems to fall off, get rid of that its just silly. 

- Sanity loss from non-monster creatures. Theres no way picking cactus or those blood roses makes walter scared. This is a bias change cause I always want to send her character out to get cactus and they refuse -_- 

Change:

- Woby should knock you off after 30 damage and you should not take the damage, the damage should go towards that knock off amount and any extra goes to you. For example, if you took 100 damage you would only take 70 and woby would knock you off.

- Slingshot needs to shoot faster and do a little more overall damage

- Sanity loss from damage should be a 1:5 ratio. Not the current 1:2. (Ex. Right now if you take 100dmg you will lose 50san. Instead with the 1:5 ratio, you would only lose 20san.)

- Walter should spawn with 5 big jerky and his tent. What kind of forest scout comes unprepared??

Add:

- Walter should pick berries and forage faster

- Woby should provide a +10sanity/min aura a bit larger than glommers. Up to a +18sanity/min when Woby is big.

- MORE CAMPFIRE STORIES THAT CHANGE WITH THE SEASONS!

- A niche pre-spear weapon. A sharpened flint made from just two flint, no prototyping required. It does less damage that a spear (obviosuly) and has low durability, but is cheaper.

Thats all I can think of, nothing major in my opinion

1 hour ago, Lumine04 said:

- No more faster campfire cooking, I saw he is the same speed as Willow and that didnt sit right with me.

- Pinetree hat seems to fall off, get rid of that its just silly. 

The faster campfire cooking makes more sense on Walter and Warly than it does on Willow tbh

The hat stays somewhat useful so long as you use body armors(tho I know alot of people just stick with helms)

1 hour ago, Lumine04 said:

- Woby should knock you off after 30 damage and you should not take the damage, the damage should go towards that knock off amount and any extra goes to you. For example, if you took 100 damage you would only take 70 and woby would knock you off.

I'm not sure how useful this is as alot of damage sources will do over 30 damage unless your assuming Woby shares your armor bonus otherwise I don't really have much issues with the rest.

15 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

The faster campfire cooking makes more sense on Walter and Warly than it does on Willow tbh

I'm not sure how useful this is as alot of damage sources will do over 30 damage unless your assuming Woby shares your armor bonus otherwise I don't really have much issues with the rest.

- Willow is the pyromaniac, Walter is the forager. Thats all I can say here

- 30 damage is enough to take a accidental hit from a bat, hound, frog, all spiders, nightmare creature, pigman, etc. (Ill do my homework if need be cause I may be wrong about the nightmare)

1 minute ago, Lumine04 said:

- Willow is the pyromaniac, Walter is the forager. Thats all I can say here

Walter is a boyscout the first thing you think about with them is telling stories and cooking over a campfire and being pyromaniac has nothing to do with cooking more so a loose association she loves fire and cooking uses fire so of course she's a master cook it's kinda like saying Woodie loves chopping wood and he's good at it so he should be able to use anything that can chop wood.

10 minutes ago, Lumine04 said:

30 damage is enough to take a accidental hit from a bat, hound, frog, all spiders, nightmare creature, pigman, etc. (Ill do my homework if need be cause I may be wrong about the nightmare)

Pigman deals 34 damage per hit so it's a instant knockdown as for nightmare creatures horrors deal 20 and beaks deal 50 personally I think it'd just be easier to just make it so woby can take 3 hits before she bucks you and as a added penalty her transformation timer greatly shortens per hit taken.

Just commented on another thread that perhaps desert stones given their spikey could be usable Ammon in his sling.

Same damage as marbles perhaps.

3 hours ago, Lumine04 said:

- MORE CAMPFIRE STORIES THAT CHANGE WITH THE SEASONS!

My god yes.. two stories gets old real fast. He needs at least like 5.

Honestly... why exactly does Woby even buck off Walter? like, in his short she goes out of her way to save him from deerclops and only bucks him off when turning back to small form, meanwhile in gameplay she just throws you off into a long animation so you can get even more hits(btw, if you get hit by a tenticle while on big Woby, with full hp and no armor, you're as good as dead. now imagine if you're dealing with a crowd). 

and as many here mentioned, bee allergy has absolutely no reason to exist. 

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

it's kinda like saying Woodie loves chopping wood and he's good at it so he should be able to use anything that can chop wood.

I think it's more like saying "Wilson is a scientist, so he shouldn't need a science machine".

5 hours ago, Lumine04 said:

- A niche pre-spear weapon. A sharpened flint made from just two flint, no prototyping required. It does less damage that a spear (obviosuly) and has low durability, but is cheaper.

An axe is better

7 hours ago, Hornete said:

I think the "perk soup" thing is a bit silly and gets overused as an argument a lot, but I do agree the bee allergy is a bit random and just makes the Bee Queen boss more of a pain for no reason really. While you could argue it loops back into Walter where he's encouraged to stay on Woby and use his slingshot to shoot at the BQ, that's, really boring gameplay haha. I honestly wouldn't mind this downside otherwise because I don't really get bothered by bees all that much, but the fact that Bee Queen exists makes the downside very annoying.

I've mentioned this over and over again in other threads where I've talked about Walter, but yes please make the poop pellets not draw herd aggro and make the slow down rounds slow an enemys attack cooldown too.

i suggest many times that the only way to make that downside dont feel like "we added it because potato" would be to expand that "boyscout with allergies" ironic joke by adding other allergies to flowers (hamlet sneezing when picking), mosquitoes, fire nettles and maybe every other weee, spiders, mushrooms (with extra effect for grotto and toad spores and sneezing for regular spores), etc

if they refresh the slingshot into something less underwhelming outside of multiplayer support (which isnt great, just a little fun) the BQ downside wont be thaaaat bad but right with how little dps has the slingshot, how "expensive" are the rounds (i rather craft thulecite ones than mining damn marble all the time) and how underdeveloped is his allergy downside the bee allergy just feels like a forced downside

walter suffers the same problem than other things in dst: being so "simple" and underwhelming instead of, with more time and work, becoming a really fun, interesting and useful thing. Happend with wigfrid rework with her fire resistance song and her bar not being linked to her pasive perks, happend to wurt when was release, happend and is happening with winona, happens with moonstorm and the moon tab, etc

i think that they should add more allergies as i mentioned to create with the downside a funny joke which also change the gameplay, more boyscout tools so you feel like playing a boyscout and more power in all kind of ammo plus reworking the slingshot into something more fun and skilled than holding F to compensate having more downsides cuz the new allergies and you end up with a more rounded and funnier character

Archived