Poll: What changes would you like to see for Winona, if any?

Poll: What changes would you like to see for Winona, if any?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see changes to Winona?

• No, the character is perfect already
    • No, the character is fine as is
    • Yes, but only some QoL changes
    • Yes, some new mechanics would be nice
    • Yes, and I would love to see a full rework
  2. 2. Winona changes:

• [Balance] Increase light radius of spotlight
    • [New] Heating spotlight (more power usage, but can warm up players and crops)
    • [New] Boat motor powered by generator
    • [New] Winona can man her catapults for extra fire rate
    • [New] Sprinkler item (short range flingo for watering gardens)
    • [New] Giant crop generator (that uses giant potatoes for instance for electricity)
    • [New] Charged lightning rods can transfer energy towards generators
    • [QoL] Ability to turn generators off/on
    • [Balance] Winona working faster while not hungry
    • [New] A stronger hammer that only winona can use, with much higher durability or speed
    • [New] Ability to pack-up winona contraptions
    • [Disadvantage] Winona machineries have a chance to be broken by other palyers, and Winona can fix with tape
    • I don't like any of the above options
    • Something else (comment below)

Source thread is this:

Previously I asked "What character do you main?" and after, I contacted people that replied to the poll, I compiled a list of desired changes.

In this thread feel free to vote and discuss about this character.

7 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

The packing up of structures alone would be a tremendous QoL change imo

yeah like that moving box mod, would synergiese well with reworked wolfgang if it were implimented like that too.

As one of the Winona mains contacted, i'm partial in this but I do like many of the ideas here. She should definitely get more structures and have her spotlight perform better with more efficient power usage & player targeting.

I don't think she should get an exclusive hammer as I think the luxury variant of hammer should be something accessible to everyone, preferably a lunar craft made with moonstone.

Her structures should continue to be able to be used by everyone but she should have more control over them than the rest of the characters. Her being able to close her generators while other characters can only open them might be something.

I want her to be able to repair burnt objects and damaged gear using her tapes too, that'd be wonderful.

Another structure I thought about this morning would be a pest control trap, like those purple light fly traps that would attract all pests (mosquitos, fruitflies, bees, frogs...) and fry them.

she has two structures assuming we don't count the generators, and one of those is useless
the catapults are expensive and won't move, meaning despite their potential power, they're still kind of niche

just give her more stuff car

Winona should be the only one allowed to interact with her machines, because adding to her crafting list won't fix people treating her like a swap character. It will just make her a more powerful swap character.

On 4/26/2022 at 11:44 PM, vorti said:
  • An on-off switch and load balancing to all generators.
  • More structures. A few I can think of now: battery backpack, freezer, sprinkler, electric crock pot.
  • For the switch character problem: what if all buildings would need some maintenance every now and then (with tapes). Others should be able to do it too (for teamwork purposes) but with much worse efficiency, and they'd break down eventually without Winona.

But I like the boat motor and giant crop generator idea above as well.

2 minutes ago, medabunny said:

Winona should be the only one allowed to interact with her machines, because adding to her crafting list won't fix people treating her like a swap character. It will just make her a more powerful swap character.

Disagreed hard. If some players are just using Winona to build and switch out, so be it, that's an issue with character swapping and perhaps a tweak should be done about the celestial portal such the need to stay as a character for 20 days before swapping.

As a Winona main, it'd be a big problem if our devices could only be used by us; we make trap areas and contraptions to be used by everyone, and serve to the camp even in our absence. If we make a trap area but it can only be used by us, what does that make; it becomes a useless area when we're out of camp, and forces us to stay in the camp/around the battlements at all times. Giving her many more buildings would make playing her more worthwhile as more need to be built, improved, expanded and repaired; currently her only buildings that make a change are the catapults and even then their building and maintenance benefits from an active Winona player. More such useful buildings would discourage the switch*out style if it must be discouraged.

Her innate perks like fast crafting should be increase such the ability to repair burn objects, armor and even WX with her tapes. But when it comes to her buildings, as someone who embodies the engineer gameplay, it's much better that they can be operated by all rather than be limited to the presence of a Winona in the right time and place.

4 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Disagreed hard. If some players are just using Winona to build and switch out, so be it, that's an issue with character swapping and perhaps a tweak should be done about the celestial portal such the need to stay as a character for 20 days before swapping.

As a Winona main, it'd be a big problem if our devices could only be used by us; we make trap areas and contraptions to be used by everyone, and serve to the camp even in our absence. If we make a trap area but it can only be used by us, what does that make; it becomes a useless area when we're out of camp, and forces us to stay in the camp/around the battlements at all times. Giving her many more buildings would make playing her more worthwhile as more need to be built, improved, expanded and repaired; currently her only buildings that make a change are the catapults and even then their building and maintenance benefits from an active Winona player. More such useful buildings would discourage the switch*out style if it must be discouraged.

Her innate perks like fast crafting should be increase such the ability to repair burn objects, armor and even WX with her tapes. But when it comes to her buildings, as someone who embodies the engineer gameplay, it's much better that they can be operated by all rather than be limited to the presence of a Winona in the right time and place.

Putting it like this, I do agree with you. I also agree about the celestial portal change.

I came up with a metric frickton of ideas for a full update a while back, but the quick cut-down version of where my thoughts went...

More machines. They're cool. They're the flashy thing that draws people in.
Keep other players able to use her machines. People don't like being locked out of things that they already have; example, Wolfgang speed.
Make Winona a better choice for using/building said machines. She needs a reason not just to be picked, but to be stuck with.

My ending idea was to add an Engineering Bench station where any character can craft most of the new Engineering additions in its tab (except Winona's exclusives), while Winona would always have a higher tier of this same tab available as her character tab; so right out of the gate, she's better at working with the whole thing, and can get started right away.

Add an exclusive Wrench, which allows her to tune up mechanisms for better effects, or customize their settings, like what targets a spotlight aims at, or fine-tuning the speed of a boat sail fan upgrade...
With that same tune-up wearing off after a few days of no Winona being in the server, or if a building isn't powered for a while.

Quick-crafting synergizes great with building a bunch of mechanisms and generators (and wires, goodness I'd love a basic power network), so a version of that would be cool to keep...

I would just honestly drop her current downside. It feels overly punishing, even if it technically isn't that impactful.
It can be replaced. My personal idea was to expand on her relationship with Charlie and pull some shadow shenanigans while also encouraging her to deal with it, but downsides feel like a whole other discussion.

TL;DR, Make her someone that players want to play as, rather than a quick builder that goes away the moment she's done.
Let her make the player's life a bit more convenient.

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

As a Winona main, it'd be a big problem if our devices could only be used by us; we make trap areas and contraptions to be used by everyone, and serve to the camp even in our absence

That's the best form of the argument I've seen posted. Thanks for the write-up.

The main issue with Winona isn't the celestial portal. I think the celestial portal from a conceptual standpoint is fine, the issue is that characters themselves are not designed with the existence of the portal in mind, and my reason for thinking that is; certain characters don't have incentives to continue playing them after you place their structures, so the remedy is to make their character items/structures function better for them if they were there rather than not. 
Bernie and willow is an example because, while everyone *can* use bernie, only willow can turn him into BERNIE!!! so if you want to make full use of this character specific item; you need to play the character who made them, and I think if that design philosophy was carried over to other characters like Winona where she can use her structures better than others, then people would be more likely to continue playing her.

entire refresh adding more structures and changing her downside, keep just the slow crafting and remove the hunger drain or change it for something like 0.5 hunger per craft instead of punishing yoou for crafting 1 rope but not for crafting 100 boards cuz hard work makes you hungry

Ability to repair burned structures with her mechanic tools.

New structures such as a Garden Maintaining robot that tills, pulls up weeds, and waters the garden plot. And a Jack Hammer that triggers earthquakes in caves to easily farm falling resources like Gems.

(you can already trigger earthquakes by lighting gunpowder so yeah..)

a “Lunch Box” that stores food froggle burnwhich sandwiches inside that when eaten… gives Winona temporary immunity to her stupid gets hungry while working downside.

Spotlights now target the players furthest away from them and without a light source in hand, Spotlight also encourages Wigfrid to perform at her best (Team Synergy perk) Spotlight can scare off bats.

Generators and Gem-er-rators now have a Durability percentage on Power, and can be toggled on/off to preserve their usefulness.

Winona X Jimmy perks: Can upgrade Jimmys Scan Speed/Radius, Can Upgrade Jimmy to have a Mini-Spotlight.

30 minutes ago, JustExo said:

The main issue with Winona isn't the celestial portal. I think the celestial portal from a conceptual standpoint is fine, the issue is that characters themselves are not designed with the existence of the portal in mind, and my reason for thinking that is; certain characters don't have incentives to continue playing them after you place their structures, so the remedy is to make their character items/structures function better for them if they were there rather than not. 
Bernie and willow is an example because, while everyone *can* use bernie, only willow can turn him into BERNIE!!! so if you want to make full use of this character specific item; you need to play the character who made them, and I think if that design philosophy was carried over to other characters like Winona where she can use her structures better than others, then people would be more likely to continue playing her.

I see Warly on pubs all the time because he's fun to play as. The problem with Winona isn't that people on the forums like to make up a bogeyman about how she's a swap character because they're addicted to portal spam and don't see that literally everyone is a swap character, the problem with Winona is that she's boring. She just places structures and has a weird hunger thing with her crafting.

I've talked about Winona and what her appeals and possible reworks could be countless times in the don't starve together discord, and the things I frequently bring up, and the things most people respond to positively are; Winona getting more structures because currently, she effectively has one structure. 
Winona getting a sprinkler system which her and Wormwood can put fertilizer into has been something positively received; the thought process behind the design is that it can serve as an alternative to the watering can, and can be used in place of flingos (I'd like for them to be treated more as lines that have small aoe around them rather than just a big radius that they can put fires out in) The reason Wormwood should be able to use it is because; the farming related perk should help to serve as a tool for the farming character, and because it waters and fertilizes plots, it would actually be useful for wormwood because it covers both of the things that he doesn't have built into his kit. 
Spotlights are currently just bad, and I think there's very little that can make them good for a light source imo. What I propose is that; spotlights should be able to provide some additional defense from nightmare creatures. Having a method to easily deal with hordes of nightmare creatures would be incredibly useful for group settings, and just be very convenient in general, so what I say is; spotlights should provide defense, and damage bonus to you, specifically against nightmare creatures (this could and should include fuelweaver and the shadow pieces imo)
Having a rudder/motor for a boat would make traversing the ocean a lot faster, and if they made it control better when winona was using it, it would provide more incentive to continue playing the character, especially when you go out boating
I've also seen that people don't like her downside because it isn't in line with the theme of the character which I agree with, I would much rather have a more interesting downside that impacts winona in an interesting way. 
Overall, what winona needs is to have more reasons to continue playing her once her structures are put down, as well as just more fun downsides. I don't think that winona needs a complete overhaul, she just needs more to her kit.

Archived