Combat Targeting Beta Build

• Developer

Hey everybody!

We wanted to push a test build that should resolve the combat targeting issue, we decided to push this as a test build so that if something goes wrong we have the proper time to investigate and resolve any further issue without inconveniencing other players. There is only a couple patch notes for this update, any other changes you notice will eventually make their way to the live version of the game in the next hotfix, and will not be listed here.

• Fixed a bug causing attacking with the left mouse button on a new creature to fail if you were already fighting a creature.
  • Fixed a bug causing retargeting of a new creature to have significant delay
    • Currently retargeting is instant, meaning you won't even finish your current attack if its in progress.

If you would like to test, please follow the steps here to opt into the Beta Branch.
Please only report combat retargeting or input related bugs on the Beta Branch Bug Tracker, if you encounter any issue with combat targeting or input, please report them with as much of the following information as you can:

• If you have mods, please temporarily disable them and confirm it still occurs.
  • A video of the issue occurring.
  • Whether your connecting to a server on the server browser or if you hosted a world.
  • If you hosted a world, are caves enabled?
  • Whether Lag Compensation is enabled. (You can check this in Settings -> Advanced -> Lag Compensation)
  • Any steps to reproduce.
  • How consistently it occurs.
  • Your client and server log files.

if you encounter any other bugs, feel free to report them on the Main Bug Tracker instead.

View full update

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4
  • Ninja 1
  • Health 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Shopcat 3

Oh goodie, I was having issues with this just today. (Playing as Walter, trying to target multiple Batalisks in a row with my slingshot by mashing the 'F' button. There was a SIGNIFICANT delay in between each pellet shot.)

Great to see this getting fixed!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

man, i miss read the tittle. I though was a surprise combat revamp update xD

I wish.. I’d like to see stuff like jump, roll/dodge but it’s probably never going to happen.

The fact that this is a beta deeply concerns me though- I was hoping PS/Xbox would have had the Targeting Delay bug fixed by Today.. but with this being a Beta it’s looking more like we’re gonna have a broken unplayable game for at least a week or two.

Guess I can try to beat Spelunky 2 until a fix is released.. just sad I can’t play my favorite game.

• Like 2

dst combat is one of most boring combat in any game ever just hold a button and move with no variety like different attack, blocking, dodging, proper ranged weapon (like forge is aiming attacks), and the attack mechanic even bad cause instead of doing an attack which has a hitbox it's just a aimbot attack so i wish one day there will be a combat update though i guess for now having the force attack work properly is a start.

i hope the bug which players talk cancelling force attack will finally be fixed

Edited by . . .
  • Sad 1
  • Big Ups 3
  • Sad Dupe 1

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

The fact that this is a beta deeply concerns me though- I was hoping PS/Xbox would have had the Targeting Delay bug fixed by Today.. but with this being a Beta it’s looking more like we’re gonna have a broken unplayable game for at least a week or two.

The WX refresh announcement said that the changes that caused targeting bugs were reverted with the refresh though.

Unless console for some reason did not get this, I'd be very confused on what you mean, since the beta [at least to my understanding] only reintroduces those reverted changes, with the main goal of it being to fix bugs and tweak things in general.
Could you double check if the targeting is still bugged on console?

1 hour ago, Nettalie said:

The WX refresh announcement said that the changes that caused targeting bugs were reverted with the refresh though.

Unless console for some reason did not get this, I'd be very confused on what you mean, since the beta [at least to my understanding] only reintroduces those reverted changes, with the main goal of it being to fix bugs and tweak things in general.
Could you double check if the targeting is still bugged on console?

It is- read the bug tracker it’s bugged and there’s plenty of posts about it being bugged.. but- Klei assures us a fix is coming soon so I’ll just have to wait, in the meantime.. I’m having a hard time killing a single Pigman. T.T he is now my worst enemy.

Woo I have a new favourite main menu theme! Also the music is a little bit too quiet compared to the rest of the game. (I normally play with volume set to 6 and I can hear everything else just fine, but the main menu is really quiet.)

Edited by SomebodyRandom
  • Like 1

I've seen a couple mentions here of how "Don't Starve's combat is so boring, plz rework" but just to point out that there are other perspectives, I for one don't mind the current combat system and am not of the opinion that a bunch of changes are needed to "rework" it. I know farming and boating are already more complex systems these days for new players, I don't think a more intimidating combat system is totally necessary.

Everyone is going to have their own opinions, though, so definitely go with whatever you guys feel is best, Klei. :wolfgangstache:

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Omninano said:

I've seen a couple mentions here of how "Don't Starve's combat is so boring, plz rework" but just to point out that there are other perspectives, I for one don't mind the current combat system and am not of the opinion that a bunch of changes are needed to "rework" it. I know farming and boating are already more complex systems these days for new players, I don't think a more intimidating combat system is totally necessary.

Everyone is going to have their own opinions, though, so definitely go with whatever you guys feel is best, Klei. :wolfgangstache:

Yea I agree, part of me kind of hates the idea of a new complex combat system. I don't think this game should be focused on combat, and I'd hate to see it become all RPG-y with it's combat. The simple combat it has now fits with a survival game, you're just throwing sticks and stones together, and experimenting with forces that you really just don't understand how they work(the dark sword), I really like the Strident Trident for it's visual design a more recent weapon, very crude looking weapon literally held together by kelp. The complex farming and fishing systems work perfectly for Don't Starve, being a game of learning and trial and error, but combat? I don't really think it's one that needs a super duper full on complex system. I like the simple approach they've been taking with some of the newer mobs like Sea Weeds, Rockjaws, Greater Gestalts. New combat mechanics but not overly complex for the game.

Now i'd love to see the trap-type weapons of this game be expanded on a bit more, anenemies were a great addition.

Edited by Hornete
  • Like 6
  • Potato Cup 1

21 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Yea I agree, part of me kind of hates the idea of a new complex combat system. I don't think this game should be focused on combat, and I'd hate to see it become all RPG-y with it's combat. The simple combat it has now fits with a survival game, you're just throwing sticks and stones together, and experimenting with forces that you really just don't understand how they work(the dark sword), I really like the Strident Trident for it's visual design a more recent weapon, very crude looking weapon literally held together by kelp. The complex farming and fishing systems work perfectly for Don't Starve, being a game of learning and trial and error, but combat? I don't really think it's one that needs a super duper full on complex system. I like the simple approach they've been taking with some of the newer mobs like Sea Weeds, Rockjaws, Greater Gestalts. New combat mechanics but not overly complex for the game.

Now i'd love to see the trap-type weapons of this game be expanded on a bit more, anenemies were a great addition.

I dont know.. me and my best friend just recently beat the entirety of “It Takes Two” if you have yet to play that game I highly highly recommend it, you will need to do a lot of well timed jumping in that game, such as jumping over enemy laser beam attacks as they pan around the area in a circle. the Dont starve franchise already had some enemies with AoE attacks.. (Iron Hulk Parts/Hippopatamoose) and a character with a built in dodge (Wheeler)

I am of the opinion that it’s only a matter of time before DST gets something like this.

Now as far as full fledged RPG like level up and progression skill tree like Borderlands? I doubt it will ever go that far…

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 1
  • Sanity 1

1 hour ago, Omninano said:

yep and maybe is just me but i love the mix of simplicity but needing to perform "perfectly" in order dont dont get stunlocked to dead, wasting a lot of resources cuz high damage hits, etc. And we have seen how a simple combat can be very fun with things like iron hulk or CC or mixing other mechanics like klaus, toad, poison birchnuts or fw

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Omninano said:

[...] I for one don't mind the current combat system [...]

Well, Fire staves, Walter's slingshot and darts could receive some love [damage over time, attack speed and craft cost, respectively] however in general i totally agree with you

Edited by MrSoratori
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, MrSoratori said:

Well, Fire staves, Walter's slingshot and darts could receive some love [damage over time, attack speed and craft cost, respectively] however in general i totally agree with you

Agreed.