What is so hard about making the klei public servers able to save after an update??

My question is why do devs opt to not address the fact that the official public servers do not save after an update? Honest question, Is it really hard to configure a dedicated server to save after an update? I've been steady complaining about this for a while now and the devs say it's coming but it's been almost 2 months now. It's hard enough to play on the pub servers with random crashes that reset a world to day 1 but the fact that they don't even save after constant updates is really demoralizing. I used to play pub servers to over day 800+ with other random ppl that play on pub servers but now that's not even possible anymore because of the problems I listed above and aIot of people that used to frequent pub servers have quit the game. I know everyone is just gonna say play on my own server but why does everyone shield the devs from criticism when there is a genuine complaint?

i know right ... klei free public dedicated server should have not regenerate after each update, duh!

it should have regenerate every night

:yaypigs:
i still think that klei official dedicated server should be noob friendly, where they join and have no idea that he can or want to host his own games 
imagine new player installed and found out nearby klei official already in their 800+day with every grass and sapling digged and returfed  near starting area... and wondering wtf is dis game and refunded 

idk I think a beginner could look at a day 800 megabase and think hm that looks cool as hell maybe I could do that one day. If someone seriously refunds a game because of a server I would assume that person didn't want to play this game in the first place

New player shouldn't play on servers that have been going for a while because they'll see all the builds/designs and items that are often used, that would just ruin their experience.

Official Klei servers are there as a baseline to introduce new players to the game and other players can practice something specific or they may want to meet new people to play with.

They aren't there for you to be able to use them as dedicated private servers where you could play on the same world for however long host wants.

Klei intentionally resets the world of their public servers after each update, they configured it like that.

@00petar00

Official klei servers are used for whatever people want, why do you think klei leaves griefers alone? It's not specifically designed for newer players or anything. It's essentially an anarchy server that noobs can light bases on fire, people could make bases on hermit island, and random shenanigans, thats why I enjoy playing them.

If someone seriously uses public servers as their first experience playing DST they definitely are going to refund the game regardless if the devs add a save feature because people grief and steal stuff from people's bases on a daily. It's not beginner friendly at all.

10 minutes ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

@00petar00

Official klei servers are used for whatever people want, why do you think klei leaves griefers alone? It's not specifically designed for newer players or anything. It's essentially an anarchy server that noobs can light bases on fire, people could make bases on hermit island, and random shenanigans, thats why I enjoy playing them.

Do you realize how much time it would take for klei developers to manage their own public servers if they started handing out punishments and bans?

You could say they could have the communty be server staff but it would take so much effort to manage that and not let it spiral out of control as there could be abuse and different thoughts on what is considered griefing.

Would WX-78 that ate all gears be considered a griefer? There are so many nuances when it comes to this and this is just one example. As you said a noob can light something on fire or do something grief-like when he starts playing but should he be banned permanently from klei public servers for it?

Majority of the community aren't griefers and new players can be introduced to the game on the klei servers.

You should be happy that public klei servers even exist, klei doesn't really need to have their own servers and with how many people have been complaining about them while it can be understandable and valid in some cases, i wouldn't say a thing if they decided to shut them down.

@00petar00

I'm not arguing whether klei should moderate their servers or not, that's a whole other discussion I don't have energy for.

If you really think pub servers are a good place to introduce new people to I don't think you play pub servers enough. There are people taking all the food and resources from your base without replacing them, constant dying that lowers sanity of everyone, and yes - griefing. A server playing by yourself should always be the recommendation for new players so you also don't become a burden to everyone else in a server. I mean that's the recommendation from the devs when u first download the game.

again, why do people feel the need to shield the devs from valid criticism? "you should just be happy they even have servers and shut your mouth" is just a terrible mentality to have as a community. The same thing happened when people complained about the constant bugs from the last crafting update. It's OK to complain about stuff you don't like about a game, that's what helps developers to know how the community feels instead of just saying, let's let the devs do whatever they want guys they're working hard enough.

I agree with you, new players are going to have better experience if they host their own servers but some people don't want to play alone if they don't have any friends playing DST, so they may join public servers to learn and play with others.

3 minutes ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

again, why do people feel the need to shield the devs from valid criticism? "you should just be happy they even have servers and shut your mouth" is just a terrible mentality to have as a community. The same thing happened when people complained about the constant bugs from the last crafting update. It's OK to complain about stuff you don't like about a game, that's what helps developers to know how the community feels instead of just saying, let's let the devs do whatever they want guys they're working hard enough.

You are not taking into consideration that they don't need to have official public servers and i am not really shielding them from valid criticism, all i said was that even if the criticism is valid it is not worth for them to have to deal with so many threads complaining when it comes to their official servers that even if they shut them down, it would be completely fine.

I would rather see them focus on upcoming updates instead of managing their servers.

@00petar00

That's fine if complete beginners want to play with others on a pub server, but they shouldn't expect anyone to help them because noone is obligated to. 

A good chunk of klei's playerbase play pub servers on a daily so yes, it is worth it to keep them running and they should listen to complaints.

40 minutes ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

If you really think pub servers are a good place to introduce new people to I don't think you play pub servers enough. There are people taking all the food and resources from your base without replacing them, constant dying that lowers sanity of everyone, and yes - griefing. A server playing by yourself should always be the recommendation for new players so you also don't become a burden to everyone else in a server. I mean that's the recommendation from the devs when u first download the game.

This is often new players and I'm willing to bet when the majority of people download a multiplayer online game the first thought that comes to mind isn't "Oh boy time to play by myself!"

15 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

This is often new players and I'm willing to bet when the majority of people download a multiplayer online game the first thought that comes to mind isn't "Oh boy time to play by myself!"

just because the game has coop tags?

Minecraft is multiplayer but a new player plays offline, terraria is multiplayer but its mostly played offline

1 hour ago, Capybara007 said:

just because the game has coop tags?

Minecraft is multiplayer but a new player plays offline, terraria is multiplayer but its mostly played offline

You are literally listing games that don't even have server browsers. I'm sure if it was called Play Terraria With Your Friends and the biggest button on the main menu took you to a server browser more people would play it online.

The game's name is Don't Starve Together. Hopping into a game with other people right away is not the craziest notion.

When was it they said they were working on persistent public servers? That's surprising to me honestly, because it doesn't seem like the best idea. Updates change stuff that can result in buggy behavior, awkward iterative world generation, and other undesirable stuff that they may not be able to intervene and solve in a timely manner like a more attentive server admin could. That's reason enough not to do it in my mind, let alone all the valid concerns about awkward day 800 servers running where people are coming in to worlds picked clean, overly tamed, etc.

• Developer

The public servers reset every update for technical reasons. They're run on a technology called gamelift by AWS and when the server turns off the entire machine is thrown away and recreated from scratch. This was done because the old ones were way too much work to maintain for us - so the alternative was no servers at all.

We're looking at the possibility of cloud saves for them to allow us to keep the worlds going across versions, but we have a lot of other things to do as well.

Archived