Forum opinion on NPC?

The poll that I made about NPC got a lot of attraction But it does not discuss what NPC should be like whatsoever.

So to start this discussion on what is the forum opinion of NPC, I think they are neat changes in the gameplay that also may reveal lore/backstory to certain mobs, items, bosses, structures, etc, we only have 3 NPCs that have names that can talk and walk around and 2 of them is an event NPC and I think that we need more of them, I want more NPCs for a while now so I could see if I could help make the constant a better place for the people who live there and after I finished Pearl quests I wish there were more quotes for her to say or more quest after the lunars storm stuff is over and she will sell me more shell bell-type.

DSA is set to be like chess all of the characters are but a pawn and the constant is the boards that THEM is playing but in DST Charlie change the game and the constant itself began to wrap around her idea as we know Charlie is more of an actress so the constant is making itself more of like stages the characters are now like the main characters and Charlie is the villain but what plays are there without side character to help and aids on the main cast journey they are the NPC. 

Like this  WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE quote

All the world’s a stage,

And all the men and women merely players;

They have their exits and their entrances;

And one man in his time plays many parts,

His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,

Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms;

And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel

And shining morning face, creeping like snail

Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,

Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad

Made to his mistress’ eyebrow. Then a soldier,

Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,

Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,

Seeking the bubble reputation

Even in the cannon’s mouth. And then the justice,

In fair round belly with good capon lin’d,

With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,

Full of wise saws and modern instances;

And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts

Into the lean and slipper’d pantaloon,

With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;

His youthful hose, well sav’d, a world too wide

For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,

Turning again toward childish treble, pipes

And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,

That ends this strange eventful history,

Is second childishness and mere oblivion;

Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

Also Helping out Pearl and other NPCs should lower the naughtiness meter and also you should be able to attack NPCs but when they are about to die they will hide in their own structures for like 10 to 20 days and it will raise your naughtiness meter to the max and spawn multiple Krampus.

This is the place for people who say NONE OF THE ABOVE.

5 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

The game is definitely not gonna become a quest simulator.

If people are expecting something like a village where you do quests for villagers or something, go play newhome, devs know when its smart and when its not to add an NPC.

You know there is another game with NPCs that give you quests while also having combat and things like crop farming in the game.

It starts with S and ends with Valley xD

Hey if the constant has sentient creatures in This is my opinion of your opinion

1 hour ago, dubious little said:

I don't really want more, not that they aren't cool or fun but I don't want the game to become side quest simulator.

I just want like 10 of them or more there is just so much possibility for interesting NPCs and

The NPCs will just add to the DST togetherness atmosphere ok.

1 hour ago, Capybara007 said:

The game is definitely not gonna become a quest simulator.

If people are expecting something like a village where you do quests for villagers or something, go play newhome, devs know when its smart and when its not to add an NPC.

Hey if the constant has sentient creatures in then it should a be little compromise.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

there are room for cool ones but abusing them wont be good for the atmosphere imo

What do you mean by abusing them?

1 hour ago, ALCRD said:

You know there is another game with NPCs that give you quests while also having combat and things like crop farming in the game.

It starts with S and ends with Valley xD

That is exactly what some of the comments in the DST switch port youtube video is like.

22 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

guys the crafting tab asks you to get wood for a campfire! :ooo quest simulator!

The NPC quest is more like suggestions look at Pearl she has quests for you to do but she not going to beat you over the head with it.

2 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

guys the crafting tab asks you to get wood for a campfire! :ooo quest simulator!

Getting wood for the campfire is survival, doing Pearls quest is necessary for a boss, aka side quest, as you are never forced to fight any boss in the game yet you are forced to create light at night. Not to mention they didn't have to include Pearl at all for the boss fight to be activated, I enjoy her inclusion a lot though, but it's a side quest and i'd rather not have that many more. Not to mention you don't get a significant reward like you would for fighting a boss.

2 hours ago, Paoling said:

Hey if the constant has sentient creatures in This is my opinion of your opinion

I just want like 10 of them or more there is just so much possibility for interesting NPCs and

The NPCs will just add to the DST togetherness atmosphere ok.

Hey if the constant has sentient creatures in then it should a be little compromise.

What do you mean by abusing them?

That is exactly what some of the comments in the DST switch port youtube video is like.

You already have togetherness with all the players and character quote interactions they have, I feel like 10 whole npcs assuming they're unique like Pearl would be overboard. Maybe like 3 more could work, but I just don't see how you could make 10 completely unique npcs, there isn't even that many locations unless you'd just wanna see them chilling in certain biomes on the main land, but npcs just being right there would kinda ruin the flow of the game a bit for me, this game is still meant to be mysterious and not filled with intelligent life, plus having the characters be the ones that can relate to eachother situation makes it feel more like a group survival. Even in Hamlet you couldn't really relate or interact with the pigs that much like you can with Pearl. just personally not a fan of it.

I'd like to see mumsy with a cottage somewhere in the world or at least some sort of npc that's more interesting then Pearl. Pearl is a lackluster npc you can't even kill her for tasty crab meat :blue:

the next npc needs to be able to be killed and fight back

My opinion on your opinions

9 hours ago, dubious little said:

Getting wood for the campfire is survival, doing Pearls quest is necessary for a boss, aka side quest, as you are never forced to fight any boss in the game yet you are forced to create light at night. Not to mention they didn't have to include Pearl at all for the boss fight to be activated, I enjoy her inclusion a lot though, but it's a side quest and i'd rather not have that many more. Not to mention you don't get a significant reward like you would for fighting a boss.

You already have togetherness with all the players and character quote interactions they have, I feel like 10 whole npcs assuming they're unique like Pearl would be overboard. Maybe like 3 more could work, but I just don't see how you could make 10 completely unique npcs, there isn't even that many locations unless you'd just wanna see them chilling in certain biomes on the main land, but npcs just being right there would kinda ruin the flow of the game a bit for me, this game is still meant to be mysterious and not filled with intelligent life, plus having the characters be the ones that can relate to eachother situation makes it feel more like a group survival. Even in Hamlet you couldn't really relate or interact with the pigs that much like you can with Pearl. just personally not a fan of it.

Well, the mainland needs something to fill its empty landscape and the cave could use some NPCs, I think NPCs are a good break in the gameplay when you just travel through to the forest and find a little hut with Pig NPC that has a quest that you can help with, they are like a living Set Pieces and when you find the things the NPC need help with randomly it just fills me with the greatest satisfaction I will ever have, also this is DST a group survival game if we have this kind of interactable NPCs in DSA I will agree with you that is out of place but in DST they are more focused of the group survival aspect and some characters can relate to Pearl already so I think we can get a couple more.

6 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

I want to see pearl fight back

Yeah me too.

5 hours ago, . . . said:

I'd like to see mumsy with a cottage somewhere in the world or at least some sort of npc that's more interesting then Pearl. Pearl is a lackluster npc you can't even kill her for tasty crab meat :blue:

the next npc needs to be able to be killed and fight back

I think you shouldn't be able to kill NPCs you should be able to fight them but they will die like Crab King not actually dead, they will just hide in their structure for a few days because that is what made them special they are the only one who can fill that role, if somehow you be able to kill them they should turn into a ghost they will only respawn by things that can revive the players because there need to be a consequence for action.

18 minutes ago, Paoling said:

My opinion on your opinions

Well, the mainland needs something to fill its empty landscape and the cave could use some NPCs, I think NPCs are a good break in the gameplay when you just travel through to the forest and find a little hut with Pig NPC that has a quest that you can help with, they are like a living Set Pieces and when you find the things the NPC need help with randomly it just fills me with the greatest satisfaction I will ever have, also this is DST a group survival game if we have this kind of interactable NPCs in DSA I will agree with you that is out of place but in DST they are more focused of the group survival aspect and some characters can relate to Pearl already so I think we can get a couple more.

Yeah me too.

I think you shouldn't be able to kill NPCs you should be able to fight them but they will die like Crab King not actually dead, they will just hide in their structure for a few days because that is what made them special they are the only one who can fill that role, if somehow you be able to kill them they should turn into a ghost they will only respawn by things that can revive the players because there need to be a consequence for action.

The main thing that brings all the characters together is that they only have eachother, adding npcs takes away from that since Pearl is now actually your friend, however this works because shes the only one and shes isolated from you 99% of the time. However if we add npcs that arent friendly then this whole togetherness thing you bring up doesn't really work, plus that would pretty much be copying Wagstaff. Instead of adding things like a trader npc, I'd rather them just flesh out something like Pig King's trades, I'd also rather just more mobs and plantation be in the different biomes to flesh them out rather than adding npcs into them. Plus they just seem kinda redundant, you already have quite a few mobs that will talk and temporarily be friends with you, while an npcs a more permanent friend, i personally like that there isn't any talking permanent friends, makes you rely more on the other survivors. While npcs can be more unique than something like a pig due to increased intelligence, there isn't much I feel like you can do with them that fits with the game or repeats already existing creatures/characters actions, which is why I definitely think we shouldn't add 10 or more. The only fitting location I feel would be an npc in the archives that needs to be reactivated, mainland shouldn't have npcs and npcs don't fit the ruins, maybe one in a cave biome but that's already kinda pushing the amount I'd want.

Hamlet had a civilized Pigman town yet, your only real interaction with them was to clean up after and trade with them, we don’t need DST to suddenly become a bunch of quest lines (the likely reason return of them ended so abruptly) pretty much all “I” personally want is a bunch of new biomes, craftables and mobs in those biomes with unique fighting/behavior mechanics.

I wouldn’t be opposed to Wurt being able to find Fisher Merms out on a distant island somewhere that she can recruit, but I most definitely do not want stuff like “Merm King hungry, bring back 15 berry bushes and 3 different stacks of 3 different types of sea veggies” 

Ill repeat it again: Hamlet was a HUGE City of civilized pigs… but even then- you had very little interaction with them.

Dont Starve shouldn’t suddenly have a bunch of wacky NPC’s roaming around everywhere, I want a world that’s meant to feel threatening and full of mystery to retain its “explore randomly generated worlds where everything hates you and wants you to die” elements.

And the more NPCs you add.. the more it drifts away from that.

As much as people seem to hate RockJaw sharks, I for one applauded their hostile arrival into the still mostly uninteresting ocean.

The main thing that brings all the characters together is that they only have eachother, adding npcs takes away from that since Pearl is now actually your friend, however this works because shes the only one and shes isolated from you 99% of the time. However if we add npcs that arent friendly then this whole togetherness thing you bring up doesn't really work, plus that would pretty much be copying Wagstaff. Instead of adding things like a trader npc, I'd rather them just flesh out something like Pig King's trades, I'd also rather just more mobs and plantation be in the different biomes to flesh them out rather than adding npcs into them. Plus they just seem kinda redundant, you already have quite a few mobs that will talk and temporarily be friends with you, while an npcs a more permanent friend, i personally like that there isn't any talking permanent friends, makes you rely more on the other survivors. While npcs can be more unique than something like a pig due to increased intelligence, there isn't much I feel like you can do with them that fits with the game or repeats already existing creatures/characters actions, which is why I definitely think we shouldn't add 10 or more. The only fitting location I feel would be an npc in the archives that needs to be reactivated, mainland shouldn't have npcs and npcs don't fit the ruins, maybe one in a cave biome but that's already kinda pushing the amount I'd want.

First of all so many grammatical mistakes

Second

The main thing that brings all the characters together is that they only have eachother, adding npcs takes away from

No Webber could just have lived with the spider, Wurt could just have been with her people and Wortox could just go home but instead, they decided to befriend the survivors showing that they could have just looked the other ways so adding like 10 more NPCs wouldn't take away from the survivors togetherness because they are true friends.

Third

however this works because shes the only one and shes isolated from you 99% of the time

What is wrong with seeing NPCs in the mainland from time to time every time I see Pearl she brings me comfort to the game.

Fourth

npcs that arent friendly then this whole togetherness thing you bring up doesn't really work

Togetherness is a real word and every NPC should treat you differently depending on their personality and background they should get closer to you as the friendships level increase and because Pearl is a Hermit Crab and trying to find her lover for so long she got a Crabby personality.

Fifth

plus that would pretty much be copying Wagstaff

How would that be copying Wagstaff He is an event NPCs

Sixth

Instead of adding things like a trader npc, I'd rather them just flesh out something like Pig King's trades, I'd also rather just more mobs and plantation be in the different biomes to flesh them out rather than adding npcs into them

Well, I think some of the lesser biomes should get NPCs to help them stand out a bit.

Seventh

Plus they just seem kinda redundant, you already have quite a few mobs that will talk and temporarily be friends with you, while an npcs a more permanent friend, i personally like that there isn't any talking permanent friends, makes you rely more on the other survivors.

I feel like permanent friends add more to the DST togetherness feels and help the people who like to collect critter befriending mobs and help NPCs.

Eighth

While npcs can be more unique than something like a pig due to increased intelligence, there isn't much I feel like you can do with them that fits with the game or repeats already existing creatures/characters actions

I feel it fit in the DST style because DST isn't DSA in DSA the atmosphere is more mysterious and horrifying but in DST it happy fun with friends and NPCs it feels like you are going on a quest to defeat something for that reason, I think the NPCs would fit more in DST style also repeating existing creatures/characters isn't bad it would help the character reflect on themself.

And finally

which is why I definitely think we shouldn't add 10 or more. The only fitting location I feel would be an npc in the archives that needs to be reactivated, mainland shouldn't have npcs and npcs don't fit the ruins, maybe one in a cave biome but that's already kinda pushing the amount I'd want.

I personally think that we should have more NPCs in the mainland and the cave maybe in the ruin but maybe some other creatures are also interested in the ancient lore.

But hey that is just my opinion.

Also why is there a NPC tag?

My take of your take on your take

7 hours ago, minespatch said:

I like Pearl's mechanics. IT's about opening a person's tolerance towards you with kindness.

Okay.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hamlet had a civilized Pigman town yet, your only real interaction with them was to clean up after and trade with them, we don’t need DST to suddenly become a bunch of quest lines (the likely reason return of them ended so abruptly) pretty much all “I” personally want is a bunch of new biomes, craftables and mobs in those biomes with unique fighting/behavior mechanics.

I wouldn’t be opposed to Wurt being able to find Fisher Merms out on a distant island somewhere that she can recruit, but I most definitely do not want stuff like “Merm King hungry, bring back 15 berry bushes and 3 different stacks of 3 different types of sea veggies” 

Ill repeat it again: Hamlet was a HUGE City of civilized pigs… but even then- you had very little interaction with them.

Dont Starve shouldn’t suddenly have a bunch of wacky NPC’s roaming around everywhere, I want a world that’s meant to feel threatening and full of mystery to retain its “explore randomly generated worlds where everything hates you and wants you to die” elements.

And the more NPCs you add.. the more it drifts away from that.

As much as people seem to hate RockJaw sharks, I for one applauded their hostile arrival into the still mostly uninteresting ocean.

This is DST you should we should at least get more NPCs after all the constant is changing drastically and I personally think that NPCs show that progress.

i want that cat mens as hostile pirates that you can trade rare items with or fight if they want to invade your boat during sea exploration. Also se dont have any kind of "pvp like" fights, would be very fun to fight enemies that uses dark swords or staffs like how klaus revive with an amulet, makes the world developing more solid

@minespatch knows what mob im talking a about, i cant find the art work of wortox trading with them

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i want that cat mens as hostile pirates that you can trade rare items with or fight if they want to invade your boat during sea exploration. Also se dont have any kind of "pvp like" fights, would be very fun to fight enemies that uses dark swords or staffs like how klaus revive with an amulet, makes the world developing more solid

@minespatch knows what mob im talking a about, i cant find the art work of wortox trading with them

Yeah, I agree the ocean is really empty right now so an NPC with a crew the same speice as them would fit my hope for the future of NPCs in DST as well.

15 hours ago, Paoling said:

First of all so many grammatical mistakes

Second

No Webber could just have lived with the spider, Wurt could just have been with her people and Wortox could just go home but instead, they decided to befriend the survivors showing that they could have just looked the other ways so adding like 10 more NPCs wouldn't take away from the survivors togetherness because they are true friends.

Third

What is wrong with seeing NPCs in the mainland from time to time every time I see Pearl she brings me comfort to the game.

Fourth

Togetherness is a real word and every NPC should treat you differently depending on their personality and background they should get closer to you as the friendships level increase and because Pearl is a Hermit Crab and trying to find her lover for so long she got a Crabby personality.

Fifth

How would that be copying Wagstaff He is an event NPCs

Sixth

Well, I think some of the lesser biomes should get NPCs to help them stand out a bit.

Seventh

I feel like permanent friends add more to the DST togetherness feels and help the people who like to collect critter befriending mobs and help NPCs.

Eighth

I feel it fit in the DST style because DST isn't DSA in DSA the atmosphere is more mysterious and horrifying but in DST it happy fun with friends and NPCs it feels like you are going on a quest to defeat something for that reason, I think the NPCs would fit more in DST style also repeating existing creatures/characters isn't bad it would help the character reflect on themself.

And finally

I personally think that we should have more NPCs in the mainland and the cave maybe in the ruin but maybe some other creatures are also interested in the ancient lore.

But hey that is just my opinion.

Also why is there a NPC tag?

Sorry for the grammar issues, but as long as you understand it should be fine. Anyways to explain some small things: you took the Wagstaff thing out of context, I was referring to if we got more evil NPCs, he'll also probabaly permanently appear somewhere in the future life of the game too, so I wouldn't say he's an event. Webber can only half relate to the spiders, plus they don't even talk. Wurt is a special case, but merms are not on the same level as other players or an npc tbh. This game for me still feels like DSA but with multiplayer, better design and more sandbox-y, it doesn't feel like a quest to me, it feels more akin to hardcore Minecraft where you work towards goals but you can take your time. Defeating the ender dragon doesn't feel like the end to a quest, defeating fuelweaver/celestial champion doesn't either, it's just how I feel which is why our views are so different. We won't end up agreeing with this so not much point continuing the convo, have a good one.

6 hours ago, dubious little said:

Sorry for the grammar issues, but as long as you understand it should be fine. Anyways to explain some small things: you took the Wagstaff thing out of context, I was referring to if we got more evil NPCs, he'll also probabaly permanently appear somewhere in the future life of the game too, so I wouldn't say he's an event. Webber can only half relate to the spiders, plus they don't even talk. Wurt is a special case, but merms are not on the same level as other players or an npc tbh. This game for me still feels like DSA but with multiplayer, better design and more sandbox-y, it doesn't feel like a quest to me, it feels more akin to hardcore Minecraft where you work towards goals but you can take your time. Defeating the ender dragon doesn't feel like the end to a quest, defeating fuelweaver/celestial champion doesn't either, it's just how I feel which is why our views are so different. We won't end up agreeing with this so not much point continuing the convo, have a good one.

Don't worry about it too much I can mostly understand.

you took the Wagstaff thing out of context, I was referring to if we got more evil NPCs

Sorry, it's just that you sentence it weirdly, and Wagstaff was not an evil NPC we don't know what his goal is even also where did I mention evil NPC? people can be unfriendly but they are not evil? 

Webber can only half relate to the spiders, plus they don't even talk. Wurt is a special case, but merms are not on the same level as other players or an npc tbh

Webber can live in the spider den and just kill pig but he decided to help out the other character, while Wurt is a merm and can just kill the survivor but she is decided to friend them instead and it also shows that Wurt loves her people so she could still just live with them.

7 hours ago, dubious little said:

This game for me still feels like DSA but with multiplayer, better design and more sandbox-y, it doesn't feel like a quest to me, it feels more akin to hardcore Minecraft where you work towards goals but you can take your time. Defeating the ender dragon doesn't feel like the end to a quest, defeating fuelweaver/celestial champion doesn't either, it's just how I feel which is why our views are so different. We won't end up agreeing with this so not much point continuing the convo, have a good one

But I want to know why you feel that way, the reason for me to feel that DST is so different is that I just feel the air fresher the sky feels clearer and the light feels brighter, and NPC make me feel the joy I just can't describe that I can't have anywhere else.

The real reason why I think we need more NPCs is to show how the inhabitant of the constant live their daily life and their opinion on they live.

I personally like that part of NPCs to hear from someone with a different perspective, sure some of the characters might think that the constant is the worst place ever, but the NPC has no knowledge of earth and what it's like so you can hear from a different perspective on a different subject, and I think that is neat to hear from the native perspective and how they see the constant differently than the survivor.

And of course, different speice see things a little bit differently than other speice too, as in how a pigs man view thing will be different on how merm view thing whether if it's true or not.

I want klei to make us think from a different perspective as to how the intelligent creatures of the constant live their daily lives maybe they will even think that it's great and it's full of happiness and loves in their eye this is the truth because this is the only place they have ever know about and because they don't know that they are a better place out there so it might normal for them.

And also that I think NPCs will give the game more playstyle to choose from.

Also, I think there might be a William Shakespeare quote for this.

23 hours ago, Paoling said:

Don't worry about it too much I can mostly understand.

Sorry, it's just that you sentence it weirdly, and Wagstaff was not an evil NPC we don't know what his goal is even also where did I mention evil NPC? people can be unfriendly but they are not evil? 

Webber can live in the spider den and just kill pig but he decided to help out the other character, while Wurt is a merm and can just kill the survivor but she is decided to friend them instead and it also shows that Wurt loves her people so she could still just live with them.

But I want to know why you feel that way, the reason for me to feel that DST is so different is that I just feel the air fresher the sky feels clearer and the light feels brighter, and NPC make me feel the joy I just can't describe that I can't have anywhere else.

Fair enough then, we can keep chatting. Well the Wagstaff thing is if hypothetically we went a different direction to make npcs more unique so they don't feel too similar to Pearl, but y'know Wagstaff is harnessing the power of the moon which I feel like he'll be corrupted, but I guess we don't know his intentions so I got a bit over myself with that. With npcs I'm just worried they'll become repetitive if we add more than a few which is why I went off topic. Anyways like I said, Webber embraces his new spider life, but he's 2 people, and at the end of the day he embraces the other humans, I don't think he'd be happy as only friends with spiders. Wurt could live with the merms, but her goal of expanding their society doesn't work without learning from the other survivors so I'd still say she has togetherness with them. The main reason DST and Minecraft don't feel like big quests, is because you can do any of the tasks whenever, or even not do them at all, which is fine but just doesn't feel like a grand adventure, especially since there's no ending or anything (even though minecraft has credits, it goes for some weird meta thing that doesn't feel like an ending to your adventure). It feels more like conquering a cruel land than completing an adventure, since they don't leave the place and new content is added too. Plus it still feels mysterious to me like the archives, whats Charlie trying to do to the constant, what is Wagstaff doing and why doesn't Wx trust him, will the survivors ever escape, whats up with the portal that sent the survivors to the Forge and Gorge, whats up with Wurt, etc.

I just don't really enjoy the idea if befriending 10+ characters that aren't the survivors, feels a little too friendly, the game is still meant to be really hard and while it isn't as dark anymore it isn't exactly sweet, and having the murderous world of the constant filled with anything on the survivors level just doesn't feel right if it's around you all the time.

Archived