CPU, SSD, RAM, GPU. What's the most important one?

If you are using a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) changing it to a Solid State Drive (SSD) will drastically reduce loading times, that should be the first thing you upgrade if you are experincing long load times, other causes could be lack of system memory (RAM) meaning that your OS would have to use virtual memory instead. I suggest you have about 8GB of ram minimum while playing DST on Windows.

Unless your cpu predates the ancients you should be fine, as for GPU i highly doubt it. I play with intergrated graphics most of the time and never get frame rates bellow 60.

TLDR; it's your storage

everything is required, actually, except the graphics card - DST doesn't have any advanced sprites at all, but RAM will help you to reduce lag while playing with many players, and CPU will make the game run more smoothly if you have a lot on entities nearby.

And SSD will boost your loading times ofc, but take into account that if it will break - you can't regain your info unlike with HDD

I can still play the game perfectly fine on my really old laptop that literally has 2 cores 3.9 GHZ processor, 8GB ram and integrated gpu with HDD, not bad loading times with lag reducing mods even in late game.

I used to have too much lag when hosting my own server with caves but after installing mod "Don't starve alone", i feel like it should've been included in the base game. What it does is literally runs 1 shard you are on, whenever you enter caves it will start caves and stop overworld, so it helps with low end hardware a lot especially in late game.

Honestly even on my gaming computer, i feel like this mod is worthwhile to use when i mostly play alone, it cuts down on resources used, why need both caves and overworld running at same time, no point.

4 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

I have 2GB RAM is this why my caves load from 40 minutes to never? 

how can you even open the game with 2ram? i though it will crash

to play with default settings and caves on you need +4gb just for dst so, to hold all your SO and other background apps, you need atleast 8gb for win10 (i guess you have another SO because)

4 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

"Don't starve alone"

i heared that is kinda buggy

36 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

to play with default settings and caves on you need +4gb just for dst so, to hold all your SO and other background apps, you need atleast 8gb for win10 (i guess you have another SO because)

I'm pretty sure you can play the game even alone, with caves, on windows 10, with only 4gbs total. Not sure about "default settings".

35 minutes ago, BOT Tuja said:

I'm pretty sure you can play the game even alone, with caves, on windows 10, with only 4gbs total. Not sure about "default settings".

im my experience it brings fps drops which exhaust your eyes but maybe was because i play on a 1080p screen because when i played in a ~720p screen it run a little more smoothly

default settings: 60fps, bloom, distorsion and screenshake enable, etc

Archived