[Poll] On Powercreep in DST

THE HIVE CLUSTER IS UNDER ATTACK!   

132 members have voted

1. 1. In your perception, do you think that DST's current update cycle introduces powercreep into the game?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. If you answered yes in the first question, which kinds of update specifically introduced powercreep?

• The character refreshes.
    • The Return of Them content updates.
    • Quality of Life updates.
    • Seasonal event updates.
    • The Terraria Crossover.
    • I answered no in the first question.
    • Other (do mention in the comments)
  3. 3. If you answered yes in the first question, what priority do you think should be given in fixing extant powercreep?

• Maximum Priority
    • High Priority
    • Medium Priority
    • Low priority
    • No priority
    • I answered no in the first question.
  4. 4. If you answered no in the first question, Do you think Klei Developers ought to take more risks introducing powerful, yet fun and balanced content to play around in future updates?

• Yes
    • No
    • I answered yes in the first question.

Lmao guys take it easy, while i certainly love people discussing there's no need for anyone to insinuate anything regarding other people in discussions. Ples dont get silly thread locked thanks

On topic, in my experience the Eye Mask kinda has powercreep for me given that you get it from a relatively simple boss fight and if you have good management skills and lots of food it can certainly last for as long as you like. Have certainly used it more than I have football helmets (save for the times where in my carelessness it broke, or the times before i got it), relatively easy to sustain once i had a steady supply of potatoes going. 

52 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You totally sound smart and good at the game when your only reasoning for why the game should be changed is insulting people. Making bosses do more damage would do nothing to the hold f strategy except require you to bring more armor and healing. The majority of the players there would still be taking no damage and they would still be dealing damage so unless for some reason you think bosses oneshotting people through armor is how it should be it wouldn't even change much.

calling my ideas stupid and then preaching about not insulting people. lmao

Bosses doing more damage means AOE damage and/or damage that overrides armor or makes it less efficient, creating the need to dodge or else you get one or two shot.

52 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Now why am I not surprised the person who thinks bosses are too easy and need to deal more damage would say this?

Idk why you are surprised, maybe because you have an issue understanding the nuances of an argument. Huge HP pools in solo combined with low damage does not make the fight harder or more engaging, just more boring and more resource intensive.

56 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

wow what a dumb example

Sure, make it 50 seconds of holding F with other chars. The point if holding F is a "strategy" that works fine on all bosses, except CChamp and Toad stool

49 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Lmao guys take it easy, while i certainly love people discussing there's no need for anyone to insinuate anything regarding other people in discussions. Ples dont get silly thread locked thanks

On topic, in my experience the Eye Mask kinda has powercreep for me given that you get it from a relatively simple boss fight and if you have good management skills and lots of food it can certainly last for as long as you like. Have certainly used it more than I have football helmets (save for the times where in my carelessness it broke, or the times before i got it), relatively easy to sustain once i had a steady supply of potatoes going. 

I can see why some may think those Items have powercreep but in my opinion they are side-grades to the hambat and football helmet.

It's mostly due to the nature of pig farms and how they are primarily a good food source on top of providing the pig skins passively.  

One provides protection I'm exchange for food.

The other provides food in exchange for passively also providing protection.

Four pigs provide a chance at 1 pig skin ( 315 hp football helmet)

Feeding one mask of terror 4 monster meats will provide about 80%~ durability to the 315hp helmet. (MM being the easiest recovery to farm on a large scale).

So in my opinion they are balanced in their pros and cons and may even compliment each other. I still prefer pig helmets for general exploration as I don't like having to makes pit stops for MM or carry extra food that may rot if I don't get hit. For boss battles I'll makey honey ham for the helmet but I still end up passively obtaining pig skin due to my farms.

The shield of terror vs hambat has the opposite approach where I use the shield for general exploration and the hambat for tougher battles.

5 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I can see why some may think those Items have powercreep but in my opinion they are side-grades to the hambat and football helmet.

It's mostly due to the nature of pig farms and how they are primarily a good food source on top of providing the pig skins passively.  

Feeding one mask of terror 4 monster meats will provide about 80%~ durability to the 315hp helmet. (MM being the easiest recovery to farm on a large scale).

So in my opinion they are balanced in their pros and cons and may even compliment each other. I still prefer pig helmets for general exploration as I don't like having to makes pit stops for MM or carry extra food that may rot if I don't get hit. For boss battles I'll makey honey ham for the helmet but I still end up passively obtaining pig skin due to my farms.

The shield of terror vs hambat has the opposite approach where I use the shield for general exploration and the hambat for tougher battles.

i like how klei balance their items instead of just being a better version of the previous ones like happens in valheim which removes a lot of fun for me and make them lineal games

19 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Fair points. I suppose my growing lack of favor with pig farms is that whenever i do use them i go through the lengthy process of werepigging all the pigs to ensure max pigskin and meat yield, which can be tedious (then again im focusing on farming which is its own brand of tedious lmao), but we also arent factoring the bountiful amount of pig skin via pig heads and spare pig houses early game. 

I suppose I can concede to the point of view that the mask is a sidegrade but currently i can say it definitely has been serious contention for a better head armor than the football helm in my current farm oriented playstyle, wherein i have stacks upon stacks of potatoes and tomatoes which are doomed to rot anyways lmao. 

37 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Shield and eye of terror are powercreep because they make resources even more abundant, in that they save pigskin. So instead of being careful about armor or else you fall behind in pig houses or ham bats or football helms, you can either get farms up faster or keep using very fresh ham bats only

2 minutes ago, reallychina said:

Shield and eye of terror are powercreep because they make resources even more abundant, in that they save pigskin. So instead of being careful about armor or else you fall behind in pig houses or ham bats or football helms, you can either get farms up faster or keep using very fresh ham bats only

To be fair I don't think I have ever faced a pig skin shortage. It just accumulates so fast with pig wars.

1 minute ago, HowlVoid said:

To be fair I don't think I have ever faced a pig skin shortage. It just accumulates so fast with pig wars.

if you solo, yes, but in servers with 4+ people who all need helms and fresh hambats, you will burn though pigskin rather quickly and have less to setup houses

1 hour ago, reallychina said:

calling my ideas stupid and then preaching about not insulting people. lmao

I never preached about not insulting people. I explained why your ideas are bad, you have legitimately said nothing except "You stupid!". No reasoning on why your changes are good, no explanation of why you think it should happen, no counterargument on even a single of the many downsides your idea would have, no elaboration on anything. Just "You're stupid!".

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I never preached about not insulting people. I explained why your ideas are bad, you have legitimately said nothing except "You stupid!". No reasoning on why your changes are good, no explanation of why you think it should happen, no counterargument on even a single of the many downsides your idea would have, no elaboration on anything. Just "You're stupid!".

"You totally sound smart and good at the game when your only reasoning for why the game should be changed is insulting people."

"What's stupid is adjusting the health based on playercount. "

"What's even stupider than adjusting health, though, is adjusting damage."

"The only good part about that idea is how hilarious it is."

Did someone else take over your keyboard then? Are you familiar with the term "projection"?

I explained multiple times why an adjustment on playercount is needed and why increasing boss damage is a good way to do it. If you skip the explanations, don't blame me, blame yourself.

Guys.. isn’t today the new Roadmap? Can we maybe all just hug and get along looking forward to that? For me most items in the game became outclassed by YoTB..

Like for example: Wes vs Angry Bee Biome is now a cake walk on a Beefalo.

But I don’t think Wes should be unforgivingly punishing you the point every Beefalo he goes near is always in heat..

I think that if you CAN get yourself a fuzzy companion then you should be rewarded with aid from that companion.

Wanda’s clocks don’t take damage on Beefy companion either so it benefits “Casual Wanda’s” who aren’t going to run around 6 age away from dying over dead.

I’ve also completely stopped using football helmets because Eye Mask is better :) 

21 minutes ago, reallychina said:

if you solo, yes, but in servers with 4+ people who all need helms and fresh hambats, you will burn though pigskin rather quickly and have less to setup houses

Then I think that's the opposite of powercreep by your standards, no? It's solving an issue with scarcity not creating overabundance.

If Klei was to introduce Pigs and pig skin today I would actually think to be powercreep over all of the other armors, it's just that great.

It even provides a niche for monster characters as pigs can be an annoyance for them.

24 minutes ago, reallychina said:

Did someone else take over your keyboard then? Are you familiar with the term "projection"?

You literally quoted me saying exactly what I just said I said and you start talking about projection lol.

1 hour ago, reallychina said:

imo this is where things like Wanda's AC efficiency and the mask of terror become important.  I don't like joining a world with 6-10 other people because it often means there are shortages of basic ingredients, and I might as well just play on my own private world.  Solo what happens is you just don't farm pig skins...  When I played Wanda I'd run around with stacks of nm fuel and paper, all the starter pig skins would sit in a chest, and I'd get to not build and maintain a pig farm.  Less chores == good ^_^

In my multiplayer games its great because its 1 less player we need those resources to equip, so we can cover the team easier and get to more content.

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

too much free time makes me not knowing what to do xD

I've heard depression can strike harder in times of ease b/c during times of stress you're mind is more preoccupied to consider depressing things.

Maybe the mask is powercreep but I don’t see how the shield of terror is.

• You have to defeat a boss-duo with a combined HP of 20,000—so you deserve a reward
  • As already argued by others it’s not always better than a hambat.  You might want to use a hambat in a boss fight for example because of the higher damage and no-upkeep.  Apparently a hambat will have higher or equal damage to the shield for at least 2.5 days (wiki)—that’s a long fight

I wonder if people would be saying that the hambat is power creep if it was introduced today (stealing HowlVoid’s point…)?  I mean:

• Infinite durability weapon that lasts for 10 days (compare with most weapons which only have 100 uses)
  • Same or higher damage compared to a tentacle spike for 2.87 days
  • Same or higher damage compared to a spear for 8.67 days
  • Get it early game by just hammering pig houses and killing the angry evicted tenants
  • Good enough to rush Dragon Fly with for combat characters

Mamma mia!

8 minutes ago, abrocator said:

Maybe the mask is powercreep but I don’t see how the shield of terror is.

• You have to defeat a boss-duo with a combined HP of 20,000—so you deserve a reward
  • As already argued by others it’s not always better than a hambat.  You might want to use a hambat in a boss fight for example because of the higher damage and no-upkeep.  Apparently a hambat will have higher or equal damage to the shield for at least 2.5 days (wiki)—that’s a long fight

I wonder if people would be saying that the hambat is power creep if it was introduced today (stealing HowlVoid’s point…)?  I mean:

• Infinite durability weapon that lasts for 10 days (compare with most weapons which only have 100 uses)
  • Same or higher damage compared to a tentacle spike for 2.87 days
  • Same or higher damage compared to a spear for 8.67 days
  • Get it early game by just hammering pig houses and killing the angry evicted tenants
  • Good enough to rush Dragon Fly with for combat characters

Mamma mia!

hambat is kinda op actually xD

Archived