[Poll] On Powercreep in DST

THE HIVE CLUSTER IS UNDER ATTACK!   

132 members have voted

1. 1. In your perception, do you think that DST's current update cycle introduces powercreep into the game?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. If you answered yes in the first question, which kinds of update specifically introduced powercreep?

• The character refreshes.
    • The Return of Them content updates.
    • Quality of Life updates.
    • Seasonal event updates.
    • The Terraria Crossover.
    • I answered no in the first question.
    • Other (do mention in the comments)
  3. 3. If you answered yes in the first question, what priority do you think should be given in fixing extant powercreep?

• Maximum Priority
    • High Priority
    • Medium Priority
    • Low priority
    • No priority
    • I answered no in the first question.
  4. 4. If you answered no in the first question, Do you think Klei Developers ought to take more risks introducing powerful, yet fun and balanced content to play around in future updates?

• Yes
    • No
    • I answered yes in the first question.

1 hour ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Play style. .. We're all probably a mix of all of these "play styles"..

Yeah, solo nomad was an example, probably the most extreme one that, by purely always-traveling in late-game, one can still get plenty food to the point of not worrying about hunger at all, even in pubs if player has mentioned knowledge and experience. Combined with a "boat base" you can store late-game items and materials en mass plus be mobile with them (or have plenty Bundle Wraps - multitude of choices in general). Point is: blamed "food power creep" isn't really there. You can live off of land late-game and still tackle raid bosses, quests etc without worries as an advanced player. This while bulk player-base struggles even if having those "op farming materials". As you put it: "We could put any random Joe into a racecar and maybe they'll make it to the end without crashing. But they aren't gonna be pushing "limits" or making indepth analysis about their experience.".

Miner's hat, lantern, football helmets, log suits, healing salves, hambats.

Ol' reliables.

Yes, having these items reliable and useful from beginning-to-late game once more invalidates the idea of "power creep"; sure Enlightened Crown par example is a nice, handy article to have, yet can let you down easily in Cave travels simply by fighting some Worms, or getting damage as Walter for instance and suddenly sapping your sanity below Crown's 85% light-emitting threshold. Having it doesn't invalidate Miner's Hat in Caves or Tam O'/Beef Hat during Winter.

..more important to look at what pro's do..

In Team Fortress 2..

While I understand your analogy, 1) DST isn't a competitive game, au contraire and 2) I gave the example of those items in advanced/knowledgeable and experienced players' case, also pointing at how underwhelming said articles perform for bulk player-base by contrast. In conclusion, from my pov, there isn't "Power Creep" in DST on the level where it becomes generally bothersome. Yes, we got: massive amount of Moon Shards from CC (that remain useless with 2 notable exceptions), Wanda's Alarm Clock and tp mechanic in mid-to-late game, re-work character bons (most optional in use - and you don't get players interested in character hard nerfs, see Wolfgang), arguably RWYS farming system (and to a lesser extend Kelp and Stone Fruits). Nevertheless none of them make the "old meta" obsolete: Wendy, Wigfrid and Wilson still hold the top in server pickings, Ham Bats, Football Helmets and Log Suits remain the go-for in early-to-mid game (oftentimes even late-game), Marble Suit constantly for durable tanking, Night & Thulecite armor in late-game raid bosses' use, Dark Swords always for "big punches" followed, contextually, by the new Glass Cutters when dealing with Shadow-based mobs. And Above-Average Tree Trunks won't replace Flingos since you can't plant them all over map. New content and evolution, some progression.

29 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Snip_destruction

Yep.  This topic isn't my forte, but I have never felt inclined to use the new gear from the updates, I don't believe they overshadow the items in game but provide a nice alternative which I'll still go out to get or experience.

But then again I've been a player that never felt inclined to use ruins gear either, they can feel like overkill sometimes or just a nice small bonus as opposed to just regular reliables.

Also I only meant to bring up TF2 cause that specific instance just reminded me how things aren't always as they seem.

The overall player-base thought the base jumper was weak as is.

When reality it was much different, when put in competent hands or just someone with abit of game "knowledge" lol.

Spoiler

I just mean there is levels to how advanced people approach scenarios.

Noob

Basic 

Advanced

Expert

Something like this.

All these levels should be addressed in some way when tackling these issues.

Atleast I think so

An exact 50/50 when I submitted my vote. Wow.

It is confirmed then. The community is equaly divided in terms of power creep.

Jokes aside. It is inevitable to introduce power creep in a live service game. People just want more power. Characters need to be unique enough to warrant using them, and that uniqueness comes with a narrow expertise in dealing with certain aspects of the game, which then brings the power creep. You've got Wigfrid/Wolfgang for combat, Wormwood/Wickerbottom for farming, Woodie/Maxwell for gathering etc. You want the next/old character to compete with those guys? Great, get them something they are VERY good at... such as recruiting an army of organized spiders to vanquish anything out of existance...

Yeah... maybe one day we will either get a major update focused entirely on rebalancing or a series of much more challenging threats.

On 1/21/2022 at 5:31 AM, EssZee said:

Does it still count as ‘powercreep’ when arguably better items arise due to the level of player progression in the game? For example, a backpack vs a krampus sack. The former is objectively better, but the latter comes through a much greater amount of gameplay. I don’t hear the term much so I’m curious to see if what I said counts under its definition :wilson_confused:

I havent read all 6 pages here so idk if this was answered but to give an idea lets say a new character gets released that cam craft a backpack as large as a krampus sack and drop it.

There would be no reason to farmKrampus ever again,this new character can just craft it and leave it for your main swap character with no RNG. Why would you even grind for a krampus sack at this point?  The new backpack is just as good and is easier to get with no RNG and resource grind to summon them or farm to build.

That is powercreep. Depending on how you see it, Webber kind of powercreeps Wilson because of the same perk but immunity to spider aggro but that is debatable.

Archived