Glossamer saddle vs war saddle?

Let's take a look at each saddle. According to the wiki, default saddle gives +40% movement speed to beefalo. Glosammer saddle is a direct upgrade, giving a +55% movement speed bonus. Meanwhile war saddle only gives +25% movement speed while giving +16 damage. To me, that kinda makes it questionable to use, makes it seem like a sidegrade to a default saddle. The damage increase doesn't seem meaningful enough with that big loss of speed, especially when compared to glosammer saddle.

I've been wondering for a while, but what's actually more important in practice in a fight? The 16 bonus damage or the ability to deal more hits as well as easier dodging? Move speed seems to just be better. Ornery beefalo already deals 50 damage, which is a perfect breakpoint, so what advantages does 66 damage have that you have to sacrifice so much mobility for it? Just saying all of this makes war saddle sound a bit underwhelming. What do you guys think?

for moving i use glosammer one because you can deal with hounds witht he same ammount of hits but for fight like klaus i might use the war saddle because you already have enough speed and, with their atack speed (not taking in count animation cancelling exploits) i dont think you could do an extra hit

but honestly i didnt compare them, i just do it because is what "seems" to be "better" so i might fall into a "noob trap"

I just switch between the two. Glossammer for traveling and small scale fights like spiders and hounds etc and war saddle for ruins clearing, depth worms and bosses like dfly, goose, CC, tree guards, spider queens, fruitfly lord, deerclops and toad (Big hp bars where the extra damage really speeds up the fight and outweighs the comfort of more speed) oh and also ewecus and vargs. 

Goats are one of the few if not the only smaller mob that I will bring out the warsaddle for. I love aggroing them with a fire staff and just attacking them on my beef with a scalemail on. U can just hold f without needing to dodge.

For shadow pieces I always use glosammer because warsaddle is too slow to dodge t3 rook. I’ll also sometimes use glosammer against klaus because it feels better in that fight. 

I always keep whichever saddle I’m not using in my backpack.

For me it depends if I need the speed or not. 

For general use the glosser saddle is better but for bosses I'll switch to the war saddle (I don't fight shadow pieces with my beef as the risk is too high imo). 

For most mobs the extra damage doesn't matter. 

Glossamer saddle is better overall for all types of beefalo as its a direct upgrade with no downsides from the regular saddle.

It allows you to fight dragonfly with ornery, without walls and panflute, you can just run from larve until they explode and then run from enraged dfly until she calms down.

I will say the war saddle is most useful for both rider and default beefalo types to increase their "breakpoints" and to actually allow them to kill bosses in a somewhat decent time frame.

As Sonicden said, ornery really doesn't benefit much from sacrificing speed for the damage buff.

i tend to use war saddle in basic fights around here and there
klaus is good
maybe even beequeen because screw trying to kite there.
gloss is good for dragonfly solo without walls
shadow pieces fight for the rook
heck even regular saddle is good for those fights and those are the 2 i feel need speed.
gloss just makes it a bit easier.

Glossamer saddle saves more time, but also takes more time to make so it's better if you plan on sticking around a long time. War saddle can be a lot easier to obtain if you're lucky or not going out of your way for it. Glossamer saddle needs you to go out of your way for it. 

When I use beefalo I'm going for default tendency because I like doing raid boss fights on foot and dislike constant beefalo feeding, and therefore both saddles are valuable to me.

I'm going for glossammer saddle as first saddle instead of regular because it's direct upgrade and it's also a good practice, since on pub there is no pig skin available 99% of the time (+ in multiplayer one can farm more butterfly wings per day). I use this saddle majority of the time and sometimes in Shadow Pieces/Klaus fight if I don't feel like doing them on foot (for variety).

I craft war saddle as soon as I can and in fact pray for ewecus as much as for extra volt goat herd via hunts. It allows default beefalo to deal 50 damage which is important breakpoint and is convenient for hound waves, spiders + spider dens clearing, debths worm attacks, mooslings + Moose/Goose numerous hunts, Deerclops, ruins clearing and other fights with small mobs like batilisks (when I exit from the caves), etc.

So basically war saddle allows me to get "ornery beefalo" for particular fights without obedience downside, but with less speed (as others pointed out in a lot of situations 66 and 50 damage results in same amount of hits for mob to die). Compared to person on ornery beefalo with glossammer saddle I'm slower during fights where I use war saddle, but I use the same amount of slots to keep riding beef (glossammer in the inventory vs twigs) without a risk of running out of stuff to feed beefalo, save resources and time (via not needing to pick food for beef + feed it, it's more relevant for public server), while also keeping the same speed for travelling outside of fights.

I wish there was a craft with 2 steel wool though for those willing to spend green gems to duplicate a single piece of steel wool Klaus sometimes drops.

Archived