What are some characters (In your opinion) that need to be buffed/nerfed?

What are some characters needed to be nerfed/buffed?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Buffed?

2. 2. Nerfed?

3. 3. What is the reason you want the characters to be buffed? (multiple choice again)

• They're a bit underwhelming
    • They need a bit of work done
    • They're too hard to play
    • They're very bland and boring
    • I selected "None of the Above" on question 1
  4. 4. What is the reason you want the characters to be nerfed? (multiple choice again)

• They're too OP
    • They easily break the game
    • The game is too easy with them
    • I selected "None of the Above" on question 2

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/24/22 at 06:30 PM

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but lets lie to ask for nerfs to wanda

Wanda got the exact nerfs I wanted- SCW breaking when she uses it and no longer Respawning with Ageless Watches in her inventory. The only further nerfs to Wanda that should be done could be considered a “Buff”

and that’s to let any playable character use her Alarming Clock, I legit don’t get player exclusive weapons… They could be made less effective for other players- but as Walter when he first released I was giving everyone slingshots loaded with ammo having no clue they couldn’t even use it…

Klei should consider letting other characters use these things but with less effectiveness then the character the item is designed for 

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei should consider letting other characters use these things but with less effectiveness then the character the item is designed for

in most of cases for sure. Is way better to let others use slingshots like they can use wigfrid's spear than adding a dumb damage buff just because of "coop perk", having a punching ball dealing extra aoe damage wasnt enough coop perk. Is the only thing along with her shield (just increase her hp lel, it doesnt fit at all) i think should be removed from her, both are dumb perk and the damage boost is clearly just because potato

30 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

in most of cases for sure. Is way better to let others use slingshots like they can use wigfrid's spear than adding a dumb damage buff just because of "coop perk", having a punching ball dealing extra aoe damage wasnt enough coop perk. Is the only thing along with her shield (just increase her hp lel, it doesnt fit at all) i think should be removed from her, both are dumb perk and the damage boost is clearly just because potato

The shield is only good against large groups of mobs (like it or not easily killing these was KLEI’s intended role for Abigail) The shields are more effective the more enemies are attacking Abigail (insane amounts of frog rain) and less effective when only 1 or 2 enemies are attacking her.

Klei adds “Small Mobs” to most their boss fights that allow her to obtain this additional shields bonus (Dragonfly<Larvae, Bee Queen<Grumble Bee’s, Eye of Terror/Twins of Terror<Suspicious Peepers..)

The shield is doing its intended job… And in fact just remove all the little mobs that activate her shields more often from the fight and Blam: It’s harder enjoy.

You seem to only ever look at what’s “good” about a character instead of what is absolutely terrible about them- In compression Wanda Respawning with free Ageless watches was broken and over powered, Klei realized this and patched that out of the game: HOWEVER- Without that watch Wanda is just completely and totally Screwed…

I feel like the complete removal of it was the “wrong” kind of nerf, because she is the only character who literally dies without this item… It should instead be changed to permanently being locked inside her inventory AND if you want to reduce it’s cool down times simply craft “clock wind ups” which will replace being able to craft the Ageless watch at all.. these can be applied onto the AW for the same effect as carrying a stack of AW’s around.

Without this watch WANDA WILL DIE there’s no way to prevent it.. 

Your next question is “if you Respawn when dying with this watch still in your inventory.. why should they go through the trouble of making this watch never leave her inventory?”

There are several possible answers to that.. but off the top of my head: Frog Rain.. which will “lick” her causing the watch to fall out her inventory and then if she happens to die to these frogs (completely ignoring skilled players and talking strictly noobs here..) Then guess what?

The very important watch you need to actually be able to continue playing the game is now a million miles away from wherever you Respawn’d from at the location of your Demise to those frogs.

I’m assuming Klei only looks at things from the “most common” way of play- which would be they did not account for the above froggy scenario because they just ASSUME people will build a Second Chance Clock or have someone else revive them near their lost invaluable and without it you will die no ifs ands or buts Ageless Watch.

The TL:DR the character has a “chance” to become literally unplayable at all if you can not get back to the location you dropped this watch in after you have died..

(hence this long post hoping someone at klei realizes this & makes a change that doesn’t reward free clocks.. but doesn’t leave her without a way of avoiding death completely either.)

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The shield is only good against large groups of mobs (like it or not easily killing these was KLEI’s intended role for Abigail) The shields are more effective the more enemies are attacking Abigail (insane amounts of frog rain) and less effective when only 1 or 2 enemies are attacking her.

yes and is dumb if the aim for the rework was to make them help each other but the reallity is that you let her kill everything alone which is dumb

Dragonfly<Larvae

what? not at all, you dont fight the lavaes at the same time and their atack rate is so slow. Use real examples pls

Eye of Terror/Twins of Terror<Suspicious Peepers..

no because of what said above plus she dies pretty quick agains the twins. Use real examples pls

The shield is doing its intended job…

and is redundant and doesnt fit aesthetically. It could be a elixir effect instead of having an almost useless elixir that only buffs it a little. Having it is an overkill

You seem to only ever look at what’s “good” about a character instead of what is absolutely terrible about them- In compression Wanda Respawning with free Ageless watches was broken and over powered, Klei realized this and patched that out of the game: HOWEVER- Without that watch Wanda is just completely and totally Screwed…

and what is horrible with wendy? can you elighten me? she has only 1 downside and is negate by her upsides. You only seem to only look op things where there isnt an op thing when you are bored like reviving multiple times just because you dont know how to farm red gems or liying about wilsons killing bq with just 2 football helmets and reviving them offscreen. I dont look for a nerf but when i do i try to be unbiased and give real information not lying or overexagerating about personal situations or contradictions like asking for hp scaling bosses but later complaining about wolfgang melting moose goose (lmao)

also the thing you spam about free watches was a bug, was clearly a bug not a feature. i cant understand how someone can think that was a feature if that even happend 

pd. i dont like wanda having all her watches (except the tp ones for some reason) on her inventory after dying. The only reason for that are pubs which makes the thing kinda logical so we have to deal with such dumb perk

Your still expecting DST to have harsh crippling downsides and I think it’s evident that it’s NOT that type of game anymore: Wormwood who used to only heal from healing tab items and genuinely felt challenging now heals from loose rot laying all over the map, Wes who had no perks at all has Sanity Restoring, Speed & Wetness protection balloons, Webber who once upon a time ago needed to punch spider nests during the day turning all the spiders hostile on him can now blow a whistle & be all like “Follow me friends!” Even WOLFGANG arguably got Buffs 

(2x Damage while Mighty even if at 0% hunger..) you can literally twirl. Gembell while starving to death and still wreck whatever your wanting to kill without needing to be topped off in hunger.

Downsides are becoming mostly non-existent.. not just in Wendy but in Every character.

But to answer your question: Chopping, Mining, fighting Sanity/Enlightenment mobs,  needing to kill a singular target instead of an entire group (Klaus, MacTusk) Go ahead… Allow some low sanity Wortox to hop on a boat with you and let’s just watch how often Abigail helps you fight of the spawning TerrorClaws.

my point is: She as with everyone else, has downsides- It’s just those downsides are easy to overcome and you no longer notice them.

I see threads crying “Wicker has no downsides give her a proper downside!” This is False… & a newer player will still struggle with her Sanity, inability to sleep and dislike for spoiling foods.

the people wanting quote a “Proper Downside” on her, will just make her harder to play for those newbies.

In the end, Klei will make adjustments as they feel is necessary and CURRENTLY the only character with an actual real harsh crippling downside is ironically Wanda: Respawning without the thing that keeps her alive with no other way of healing without it PERIOD 

Is that harsh enough for you?

12 hours ago, csc_unit said:

I'm not as often on the forum as others and Idk about the "Nerf Wendy" meme. Kinda surprised she has the most nerf votes from the community. She feels pretty balanced in my eyes, but my opinion isn't necessarly settled on that matter.

Could I get the arguments from the ones that think she is in need of a nerf? pls ty

She has insane free passive aoe that will do most fights for her without her needing to do anything. She has above average DPS on foot but if she's on a beefalo she has some of the highest DPS in the game. She trivializes two of the hardest fights in the game to the point where you can do one on day 3 by just holding f with literally no effort. She never has to worry about hounds, hunger, or anything else related to to most mobs like frog legs, beard hair, nightmare fuel, etc. She has all of that and more for basically no downsides, mostly she just takes slightly longer to fight terrorbeaks.

She's also insanely easy, due to her sister fighting most things on her own without even needing to help. She's versatile and pretty good at everything despite being so easy. It's no wonder she's by far the most popular character.

Compare her to someone who actually got nerfed, some pretty big nerfs: Wolfgang. Similar single target DPS, has to fight all his fights, uses 3x hunger to do what he does, has a small fraction of her damage against groups which would be a single digit percentage at best, and various other perks she has that he doesn't. People really underestimate how strong Abigail is and how big being so good at AoE you can literally kill hound waves while AFK, clear several spider dens at once, clear entire bee biomes at once, farm the mostly unfarmable (by hand) splumonkeys, clear out frog rains, etc is.

Imagine if instead of nerfing him the Wolfgang rework made it so he was permanently max mighty with a 1.05x hunger drain instead of 3.00x, and his attacks cleaved to all other enemies within a pitchfork tile radius. That's not much of an exaggeration to him becoming what Wendy is.

14 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

pd. i dont like wanda having all her watches (except the tp ones for some reason) on her inventory after dying.

why tho? nobody can use or craft them anyway. same can be done with wolf's dumbbells, wendy's mourning flowers, etc., and I see this as a good thing

14 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

why tho? nobody can use or craft them anyway. same can be done with wolf's dumbbells, wendy's mourning flowers, etc., and I see this as a good thing

because when you revive you have in your inventory the best weapon in the game, all your healing watches and the back step watch which can help you survive without taking hits until you find your armor

actually i didnt lost my world with wanda when she was released because of this. I was fighting the shadow pieces and forgot that a cane and mag isnt enough speed without a road so i died and i was able to recover my stuff while i was kiting the rook with the backstep watch ( which is what i should have done since the beginning instead of kiting without speed xDDD)

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

- snip -

Oh god this is so good. I'll quote this from now on whenever someone asks why is Wendy Abigail is strong.

You know what? Just switch Wendy to be a follower and make Abigail the player, W-names be damned.

burn-it-down-all.gif.e746a46960e4b38dd2c335efb19085b2.gif

17 minutes ago, Kemthazul said:

Oh god this is so good. I'll quote this from now on whenever someone asks why is Wendy Abigail is strong.

You know what? Just switch Wendy to be a follower and make Abigail the player, W-names be damned.

burn-it-down-all.gif.e746a46960e4b38dd2c335efb19085b2.gif

Yeah but klei a while back ago also stated in a post I can’t seem to find anymore that each character has an intended “Role” they are meant to be the single best character pick to fulfill that role with.

I believe it was back sometime ago during Wendy’s Rework when people wanted Abigail to have the same 1000 Hp Willows Bernie Doll has and/or that Bernie should have the same shield effect Abigail has when fighting large groups of mobs.

They Stated that Abigail’s core design intent IS to destroy small “Swarm” type groups of mobs: Spiders, Bees, Hounds, Frogs etc..

Where as Even though with 1000hp BERNIE will get destroyed easily when trying to combat five hundred million frogs.

Bernies role is for SINGLE Target damage, being effective against less “swarm” type mobs and his MAIN use was to absolutely wreck Shadow Creatures with great ease.

So it just seems like people weren’t paying attention when klei strictly said “Abigail isn’t getting 1000hp or Bernie isn’t getting Abigail’s Shield of protection against Swarm attacks”

I really wish I could still find those dev posts, but literally EVERY complaint I’ve seen about how OP Wendy is has also somehow seemed to completely dismiss the above explanation as to what their “Roles” are.

I mean it’s common logic that if Abigail’s “Role” is to kill swarm mobs then any non-Swarm mob capable of dealing 600 or even just 300 damage in a single hit will absolutely wreck Abigail.

And you can call me crazy but I have this feeling that in the same way Woodie now has the Moonstorm messing up his gameplay, Klei can just as easily add new mobs to the game that makes Abigail’s life (or rather lack thereof) a little more difficult.

The TL:DR- Willow fairs out best fighting TerrorClaw, TerrorBeak, Crawling Horrors and any other potential future “Nightmare” klei may add to the game, meanwhile Abigail’s role is to blend “Hordes” of mobs into a fine poltergeist blender.. and will continue to be best at fighting any future ones that may be added.

A gigantic Oasis Desert Sandworm that spawns in Summer that isn’t a “Boss” and doesn’t attack in “Hordes” but deals enough damage to “Drop” Abigail will quickly change that.

Willow doesn't feel like she has much of a playstyle besides I guess that you can't die by fire which is pretty handy in hound or some other situations. Sanity can be compensated via foods since she doesn't have a big sanity pool. She's unfortunately not in a hot spot with Celestial Crown since her sanity is too low for it to work and her Bernie doesn't work in lunacy. She's basically f***ed up by the moon... unless her powers come directly from the nightmares and fuel themselves? idk.

Maxwell's kit is great but considering comparison to Wanda who's technically support and now outshines Wolfgang in many ways-- he doesn't feel all that powerful for a 'used to be the king of the world' part and 'shadow master' himself. His offensive minions are bad and he's lacking in his own spellbook for casting abilities.

Wolfgang got gutten and many people stopped playing him due to his awkward gamestyle now after the rework. The idea was awesome but it messed him up beyond belief since he doesn't have speed compensation with that upkeep. If the upkeep on his damage were much easier or his meter would have been expanded somehow - it would feel much more fun to play him for boss rushes and what not. Klei, I think you might have messed him up despite your efforts on trying to make him more lore/balance related. Speed was fine on nerf but the method doesn't exactly make him easier to upkeep his damage unlike when people farmed food to kill things as him.

Walter- he's ok. High early mobility, free tents, no sanity issues and storage. But his slingshot is kinda meh and awkward to use. Good for farming birds and that stuff but at least getting some kind of slingshot upgrade would be great. And that you could set it on fire. Please.

Wurt is... just awkward. From upkeep with the king and lack of distinct playstyle. Just feels like upgraded pigs than anything. Mechanics to her vegan diet and pet fish are nice and cute tho. But people also tend to not like being anywhere near swamps.

Wendy is as is, but she doesn't outshine other characters besides in farming and dealing with Bee Queen. She kinda can be replaced easily by permanent setups like Winona Catapults, reanimated skeleton or auto farms. She's fine as is despite the vote, in my humble opinion. Does give a good reason for her to tame an ornery beefalo tho.

Wes "..."

I get the Wanda nerf cause "TOO STRONK" but people were after Wolfgang from that at first and see now where we are. Least I wanna see Wanda being nerfed cause she's just awesome to play as solo, given satisfying fast travel abilities to her damage, but she does outshine the whole crew with her abilities despite being one of harder characters to play as. Despite most forumite opinions I think other characters need buffs rather than her getting nerfs. Would be cool if we get more challenging bosses or boss variants we could go against and have better characters to deal with each one of them--- no. We just in general need buffs to characters and the items we got. Magic tools exist and they're mostly useless besides on using them for menial tasks. I'm all down for making gameplay progress to having things easier than MORE hard, but also having HARDER bosses while progressing. Kinda like Terraria, ironically since the crossover was a thing.

Woodie needs a LITTLE bit of help in terms of Moon events lategame, he's annoying to play as during those times or in worlds where people keep turning it on. At least he shouldn't loose his hunger each time when transforming back. I am unsure what to suggest but some kind of amulet like Wilba has to prevent transformation would be very nice.

Winona's in a funny situation that she's just kind of a swap character, like she's an RTS builder unit that just comes in, does their task and does go do otherthings/swap characters since not useful. She's great but sad that there's not a whole lot of point to go around as her. BUT she is still pretty handy to play as. Nice to set up early catapults for bee queen setup kills or farming scales from dragonfly. Fast crafting does save time still.

Wortox needing a nerf? Nah. He's hell to play as without having a Tam or copious amounts of food. Costs a lotta sanity just to eat souls only and costs a lot of time to farm normal food, which in both cases - he costs a lot of time to play as and survive. Doesn't need a nerf, but could use a tiny buff maybe something to do with boss souls instead of giving more.

14 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Willow doesn't feel like she has much of a playstyle

i love to be inside of burning trees and hold F to create a crowd control aura. Non read hounds can reach you there and is fun for spiders xD

i wish they expand her fire powers and fix what you said about bernie and the moon

16 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Wurt is... just awkward

you sir has gain an enemy today

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah but klei a while back ago also stated in a post I can’t seem to find anymore that each character has an intended “Role” they are meant to be the single best character pick to fulfill that role with.

Clearly not as demonstrated with the Wendy rework. Best at AoE, sure. But also best at BQ? And AFW? And nearly every boss, for that matter? And best at base building? And best at just general purpose gameplay? If the petals debuff didn't exist so she was only comparable in damage to a normal character then she would have the AoE niche.

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Clearly not as demonstrated with the Wendy rework. Best at AoE, sure. But also best at BQ? And AFW? And nearly every boss, for that matter? And best at base building? And best at just general purpose gameplay? If the petals debuff didn't exist so she was only comparable in damage to a normal character then she would have the AoE niche.

So then which is it? Do you do like some people say and AFK to let Abigail kill everything for you? Or do you take advantage of the temporary petal buff to get rewarded with dealing extra damage when working together with Abigail?

I mean personally I’m not opposed to nerfs on ANY Character as long as they are “Flavor Nerfs” and not just straight up Nerfs for the sake of Nerfs- By Flavor nerfs I mean fun stuff that while a “Con” also gives that particular character a unique playstyle and fits into who they are as a character, helping to further flesh out their in-game personality, etc..

For example: Wanda has 3 different aging sprites, but yet at old age she doesn’t suffer some of the downsides Wickerbottom has or Maxwell references- *eats Jerky* Ow My Gums! 

So then why doesn’t she get less hunger/sanity values from spoiling foods?

I think there’s a ton of room to add nerfs (not overly annoying ones) that make a character more “unique” 

For Wanda in Particular Im absolutely in love with the idea of while in young Age Catcoons hate her and are hostile towards her, in Middle age their Neutral but at Elderly age she becomes the Crazy old Cat Lady and Catcoons just Walt’s right up to her and reward her free gifts- It’s a Nerf and a Buff simultaneously at the same time.

With Wendy I would like for more implication on communing with the departed, caring for Abigail, maintenance of Sisturn to take center stage..

So in other words: Petal Debuff only happens when a Sisturn has been filled with Mourning Glories, Which means.. Wendy players actually have to use & maintain the darn thing.

For Wurt allowing her to swim would be fun, but as a con to being allowed to swim she dries out like a fish with no water in summer season.

Flavor nerfs.. Willow loves fire.. so it makes perfectly logical sense to me she would gain more sanity standing near a fully fueled campfire at night/middle of Winter/Summer and start losing Sanity when those fires start to become too small for her liking.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of Flavor Nerfs/Buffs that further flesh out a character with a unique playstyle that plays into who they are as a character..

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Or do you take advantage of the temporary petal buff to get rewarded with dealing extra damage when working together with Abigail?

overkill, the most unnecesary perk of all dst and a waste of idea that could be used into other character

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So then why doesn’t she get less hunger/sanity values from spoiling foods?

maybe because not all the old people has stomach problems

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

So then which is it? Do you do like some people say and AFK to let Abigail kill everything for you? Or do you take advantage of the temporary petal buff to get rewarded with dealing extra damage when working together with Abigail?

Against most enemies she afks while Abigail plays on her behalf, against bosses she fights them normally but gains large free damage. "Works together with Abigail" is technically true, but for most fights I think it's a bit of an exaggeration on what she's doing. For most fights she really does just fight them normally, or mindlessly hold F since her sister is deleting all the fight's mechanics.

Obviously waiting on the remaining reworks, but as for those who've already been reworked...
Not so much straight buffs as QoL.

Wurt's Merm behavior needs a quality pass. There are a lot of things that could be done to make her more appealing, but that's the most important one.

Winona...needs some milk.
help a girl out
There are so many different ways to tackle this. She's an engineer that's been shown to be able to recognize/repair Wagstaff tech, and...brought with her the knowledge of working with electricity; her mechanical skills are likely leagues beyond that of the other survivors, other than Wanda's clockwork.
The world of the second industrial revolution is calling.

Maxwell finally getting a rework will be better than s- seeing a really beautiful sunset. He used to be king and like sure he's a lot weaker now is kinda of his character arc. But even with weak shadow powers he's still a magician, he should be able to do tricks. Maybe easily create shadow puppets that will not fight but distract enemies and gain their aggro immediately.

Winona makes things then uh. Not much else to do. Like she's not bad but she needs some extra something.

Wilson. We don't need a default character when everyone is immediately unlocked.

Willow. She also feels like a default character since nerf update.

NERF WES

On 1/12/2022 at 7:29 PM, Baark0 said:

none, because this isnt a moba who's meta constantly changes

How do you not understand that it's probably healthy to concern ourselves with character balance for the sake of game longevity?

Characters who are vastly stronger than others for no reason should be nerfed because it detracts from the overall gameplay if there are other characters that just do everything better. That's why you have people swapping just for wicker books or gemerators. It's poor design, and boring.

Characters who are vastly weaker than others for no reason are usually tedious, unfun, and painful to play. Fixing up even a few parts of their kit makes a world of a difference in the quality of gameplay.

Not to mention the meta is constantly changing. Almost every time we get an update the meta changes significantly.

Archived