Which of the following items should be renewable?

Which of the following items should be renewable?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these items should be renewable?

• Fossils
    • Stalagmites
    • Reeds (the plant, not the item)
    • Anenemies
    • Sea Sprout Starters / Sea Weed
    • Sea Stacks
    • Ancient Stonework
    • Hollow Stumps / Catcoons
    • Cactus plants
    • Cave Lichen
    • Hound Mounds
    • Wobster Mounds
    • Tallbird Nests
    • Spilagmites
    • Grass Tufts in survival mode
    • Living Mandrakes
    • Beefalo
    • None of the above

Mandrakes are already renewable via Klaus, I don't think they should be any more renewable than that. I want most if not everything to be renewable at a cost like that. Mandrakes are renewable, but you have to wait for winter and then it's only a chance. Volt goats are renewable, but you have to wait for spring, wait for a thunderstorm, and then go track hunting at the oasis and hope for one. I want beefalo to follow a similar system to volt goats, perhaps during autumn or summer tracks ending in the savannah could have a chance to spawn a beefalo.

Things being renewable at a large inconvenience like that changes griefers (and unlucky wildfires) from needing to reset the world to get the items back to just being heavily inconvenienced.

51 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I'm seeing a lot of "fossil cages" being brought up.
If this is the concern I don't get why they can't make them have no mob collision. 

Why even do that? Mobs can already be blocked by things like statues, the fossils aren't unique in their functionality.

27 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Mandrakes are already renewable via Klaus, I don't think they should be any more renewable than that.

Would be nice to have a way to plant mandrakes. Im with you that they have already a very good way of being renewable. I wish we could use telltale hearts on them, atleast it will have an use for solo players and my stack of mandrakes could have an use finally 

9 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Would be nice to have a way to plant mandrakes. Im with you that they have already a very good way of being renewable. I wish we could use telltale hearts on them, atleast it will have an use for solo players and my stack of mandrakes could have an use finally 

You can. Build a panflute, then deconstruct it and the Mandrake should be alive, if I remember that one video correctly.

Edit: 

eJpzGT5wQDs

Wow this video is old, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work anymore

5 minutes ago, BezKa said:

You can. Build a panflute, then deconstruct it during not-day and the Mandrake should be alive, if I remember that one video correctly.

I thing that was a DS thing, i saw a SW base tour where there was a garden with many mandrakes and the guy said that he did some kind of shenanigan to made it work. When i deconstruct them in dst i see the dead mandrake dropping from the flute, not dropping alive and then diying. At the end, the recipe is made with a dead mandrake

Idk how was done in ds or if it can be reproduced in dst

22 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I thing that was a DS thing, i saw a SW base tour where there was a garden with many mandrakes and the guy said that he did some kind of shenanigan to made it work. When i deconstruct them in dst i see the dead mandrake dropping from the flute, not dropping alive and then diying. At the end, the recipe is made with a dead mandrake

Idk how was done in ds or if it can be reproduced in dst

Welp

6 minutes ago, MikoFanboy said:

but... Hollow Stumps / Catcoons IS renewable though?

Catcons regenerate from their dens, the den has a cap of how much cats can spawn, after reached that time it will look like broken and will regenerate after many days. So yes, catcoons respawn non stop from their dens BUT, and this is something that wiki hasnt help to understand, if the den is destroyed it wont respawn 

Example:

day 1: your world has 4 dens

Day 22: a den is destroyed during klaus fight. 3 remain

Day 290: a lighting has destroyed a den offscreen. 2 remain

Day 1000: fire hounds come during your klays fight, another den destroyed. 1 remain

Day 4000: the last den was destroyed by bearger. 0 remain

Day 5000: 0 dens

Day 100000: 0 dens

By this time, if you want a catcoon pet, a wip or a catcap you will need to set winter feast on, sleep near a decorated trees and waste green staffs deconstructing catcaps. And this is for the materials that, at the end, doesnt offer nothing interesting but not having catcoon dens means that the decidious biome has lost one of the few mobs it has making the biome look less alive

16 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I think Klei should add some very late game item (requiring both bone helm and enlightened crown shard) that'd allow players to essentially enter true sandbox. You get to craft (yes, you'd need proper ingredients) every mob spawner in the game (for example slurtles mound on the surface), every plant (juicy berry bushes in a regular berries world), every structure (pig heads, obelisks, sea stacks, ancient statue). Of course some things such as ancient gateway, pig king or moonstone would not be craftable.

As for ancient turfs, they should be available at the terra tamper.

It's much better if defeating Ancient fuelweaver would "reset" and recycle all the caves meanwhile defeating the Celestial champion would "reset" all the surface.

4 hours ago, -Variant said:

I'm seeing a lot of "fossil cages" being brought up.
If this is the concern I don't get why they can't make them have no mob collision. 
Fossils should be renewable. Stuff that isn't, and isn't intentionally designed to be able to go extinct (DoyDoys) are odd game design choices.
Out of principal they ought to be renewable, it sucks having someone disconnect with your only fossils and never coming back.

Exactly and it's not really that hard to programm either in the code. In fact i don't understand why Klei didn't fix it already, maybe they don't know it as many others problems. 

1 minute ago, xDarkSoul18x said:

My opinion exactly. If it’s anything but no. In my opinion 

That’s been my thoughts all this time as well, Klei has these alternate game mode preferences: Use them.

It might would actually help if Klei further separated these three modes apart more, and if needed.. add new ones (like Harder New Game+ Mode)

So, disregarding the question of "whether" they should be renewable, I'd like to focus on "how" they should be renewed. This just a bunch of random idea's I'm throwing at the wall to see what sticks. Let us know if you see anything you like.

1. Fossils. Deconstruct bone armour.
2. Stalagmites. Some stalagmites have a corresponding stalactite on the ceiling. These ones regrow slowly.
3. Reeds(the plant). I like the idea of feeding something to a tentacles to spawn a reed plant in the vicinity.
4. Anenemies. Maybe if you catch a skittersquid a drop it on the lunar island during full moon?
5. Sea Sprout Starters / Sea Weed. Craftable from barnacles and moon shards.
6. Sea Stacks. Drop a cave-in boulder into the ocean to make a sea stack.
7. Ancient Stonework. Terra firma tamper.
8. Hollow Stumps / Catcoons. Give players the ability to build artificial cat homes that spawn them.
9. Cactus plants. A succulent planted in the desert will become a cactus at some point during summer.
10. Cave Lichen. Throw something into the underground pools for a chance to spawn a new lichen plant in the vicinity.
11. Hound Mounds. Vargs that are left alone for a few days will turn into one.
12. Wobster Mounds. Catch three Wobsters and release them next to the same sea stack to turn it into a mound.
13. Tallbird Nests. Tallbirds should have a full reproductive cycle, same as beefs.
14. Spilagmites. Webber players can apply silk to a Stalagmite.
15.Grass Tufts. Dropped by grass gators.
16. Living Mandrakes. Apply a life giving amulet to a dead mandrake.
17. Beefalo. Upon the death of the final beefalo, the beefalo hive mind emerges from the center of the savanna, a writhing incomprehensible mass of moaning fur, beef and hooves. It's many beady eyes lock onto you, and you scream as your body deforms and your sanity plummets. As you lose consciousness, you wonder for the final time: "what demented thoughts must lie behind those eyes?"

When you come to, the eldritch abomination is gone, and you are surrounded by beefalo. You consider shaving them to make a beefalo hat, but realize that that's silly: your hooves cannot hold a razor. But that's beefalo. You are warm, even though there is snow on the beefalo. Beefalo. There is plenty of beefalo and grass. You happily beefalo your cud as your beefalo to think fades away into beefalo.

Beefalobeefalobeefalobeefalobeefalobeefalobeefalobeefalobeefalo.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:18 AM, BezKa said:

You can. Build a panflute, then deconstruct it and the Mandrake should be alive, if I remember that one video correctly.

Edit: 

eJpzGT5wQDs

Wow this video is old, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work anymore

20211018201523_1.thumb.jpg.1d1e819ccb27ec53e20bcb210261b273.jpg

you gave me hope :_

i guess (wish) it still being a thing in DS and with a little of luck klei will give us something to replicate it

Archived