Has the fluffy lumberjack been secretly nerfed?

After going beaver woodie for days I decided to start a new world and utilise everyone's favourite food bandit to decorate my bedroom. He got me less tree flesh than usual, despite having destroyed half a forest worth of trees. And I noticed this:

355938762_Dont-Starve-Together-2021-09-30-05-24-00.thumb.gif.fe4457e2c44498391ad0a5727415c710.gif

I think his leisure stroll didn't simply destroy non-large trees without giving any log before, or was it just me? As it is right now only his slam and charge attacks yield logs from non-large trees. Which is a shame.

I might let the hipster trees eat him alive after all.

Just now, Hornete said:

This was always a thing.

You need to have him swing his arms to chop trees or ground pound to get the logs.

you'd think spending years with him as the main source of logs I'd have noticed that, but apparently not.

well off to the oven for you, dirty food thief!

Just now, Milordo said:

Bruh, look at that mod to point out the Treeguards. I know the pain during a bearger farm xD

I always run into the having too many living logs problem once second autumn rolls around. Beaver Woodie is amazing. I might change into him again once I start the base building phase.

I reckon it was indeed, in distant past, making logs solely by walking over trees akin Deerclops. But at some point, last year or-the-like, KLei made it do the stomping charge attack, and then its previous ability got removed, aka what you point to, OP. Someone more knowledgeable maybe can pin-point the exact update introducing its stomping-charge (not the ground slam it already had) and the subsequent silent nerf on normal walk generating no more logs. Yet, as others above wrote, its swings do drop all logs each tree stage would when cut.

15 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I reckon he was indeed, in distant past, making logs solely by walking over trees akin Deerclops. But at some point, last year or-the-like, KLei made him do the stomping charge attack, and then his previous ability got removed, aka what you point to, OP. Someone more knowledgeable maybe can pin-point the exact update introducing his stomping-charge (not the ground slam he already had) and the subsequent silent nerf on normal walk generating no more logs. Yet, as others above wrote, his swings do drop all logs each tree stage would when cut.

Nice.

Its been a thing as far back as I remember...  Deerclops can walk over trees for logs, but Bearger needs to attack them.  Either baiting his swings, ground pound, or charge.  The charge being the money maker - craft a stretch of road and plant trees along in a line.  Bait his charge from one end and run down the road till you reach the other GG

Simply get something anything like a flower petal.. drop it near bear, and when it approaches to pick it up snag it up quickly and run really fast, this enrages him and he chases you for quite a bit before getting bored and losing aggro on you.

Anyone using ice staffs, boomerangs, Walters slingshot or well any other method that consumes tools to kite him.. is doing it wrong.

he will murder every tree for you as long as you still bait him by dropping food close enough that it gets his attention and quickly picking it back up.

I have used this method many times to kite him to other bosses just to watch pure madness unfold.

Archived