The unexplored potential of new islands

So, it's very often that new islands and water themed expansions are suggested, in particular I remember a lot of talk about a snow themed polar cap of sorts. But I want to talk about what islands are perfect for, what they can add that would otherwise be incompatible with the mainland. 

The main thing on my mind is destructive forces. Islands can harbor crazy mechanics that would be ridiculous on the main island (lunacy is kind of already one), but are contained by the water. Extreme wildfires combined with abnormal growth to keep a cycle of destruction fueled, raid bosses unshackled that aren't anchored to a point (though telelocator would probably be a problem there), more aggressive meteors, island specific disease, and lava. I personally love the idea of earthquakes and destruction for unique challenges that feel natural without being broken in the centre of the mainland. I want to know what other people can come up with, so I hope I provoked some thoughts and got some gears rolling. Let me know what you think!

I just want more crazy and unique islands. Doesn't really matter what they would bring to the table, just more. I have cool ideas for polar islands that would spawn at the bottom and tops of worlds in chunks (similiar to Lunar archipelago). 

Spoiler

-Constant cold, snow, pengulls, snowbirds. Kinda like an internal winter of sorts.

-Crazy blizzards during winter.

-Unique snow and ice turns and walls. Walls would melt anywhere except the island, and would be really strong on the islands.

-Unique mobs exclusive to the islands, like that unimplemeted big bird looking guy.

-Unique crops only grows on islands, iceburg lettuce, with good stats and even better dishes.

Just some of my ideas.

id love to have new islands, but the map would begin to get pretty huge with the space needed for them, and if players intended to find a specific one it would be quite a time-consuming task, not including some things that already are tough to spot, like the crab king

Yes multiple islands, each island with its own unique environments, mobs, weather hazards & resources- What made Shipwrecked so fun wasn't the “At Sea” Stuff… it was Sailing into new horizons new islands for new on foot adventures, I feel like Klei is trying to cram the boat cookie into as many uses as they possibly can for it, the new Water Logged biome could’ve been a land biome, but yet they made it yet another point of interest for the boat.

This to me is bad game design, I get it they love the boat.. they love the way the boat handles they want to design content & mechanics around the boat cookie, But the Majority of Shipwreckeds content is scattered across islands you sail to and then leave the boat to explore.

I feel like the boat cookie is on the verge of becoming Klei’s version of Batman Arkham knights Batmobile (aka crammed into every possible scenario it can be when it didn’t NEED to be.) 

I would prefer it if the boats were just used as vessels to new locations- a few side activities on the boat like pinch winch, or mining salt formations that’s fine… but come on Klei, not EVERYTHING.

some at sea set pieces with some water mobs such as coral reefs that spawn jelly fish or electric eel in the waters that is all they need to fill ocean content with.. I don’t really want the boat shoe-horned into every possible use, I only want the boat as a means of transportation between islands like how they had it set up in Shipwrecked..

YES you spent a lot of time on a boat or sailing between lands but most the content and action took place ON ISLANDS.

I would like to see several types of islands, one themed on hamlet, a few themed on Shipwrecked, Gorge, Forge, a pretty Japanese Sakura biome, more lunar islands, Maxwells mysterious “Fire Lands.”

Theres a ton of exciting content Klei could do.. that doesn’t involve having to be on the boat to do it.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I would like more islands too but the sea will feel weird if they dont add aquatic stuff.

The new biome was implemented with the boat mechabics in a very clever and fun way so, if the quality of the new biomes will match the last one, i dont care if they dont add island biomes. 

The new boat mechanics makes sailing even more fun, faster and confortable so for me wont be a problem if sea means "doing stuff on a boat"

5 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I want islands with different kinds of berry and flower bushes where it all always regrows there to bring back to main land. I just want them for decor :B

That'd be a good reason to return to that island. A organic battery island.

Archived