Can I please have Walani in DST?

It’s been awhile since I’ve created a thread, and many of the pre-existing Walani threads have now long died out, however next to Wendy she’s still one of my most played characters. I feel like it would be an injustice to Walani to not eventually be playable in DST now that there is an actual sailable ocean full of things to do..

I can play Hamlet or DS Adventure Mode as Walani and that last one has no sailable water at all. So WHY is she being excluded from DST for as long as she has been?

My only conclusion is Klei may see a ocean sailing character as “broken” and it would make the boat platform boats irrelevant (not that they aren’t already when people just build boat cookie bridges to all important areas of the game) Theres a TON of Potential to add Walani to DST.. and more importantly-

If Klei felt her surfboard was ridiculously broken and OP- Maybe here’s a thought: Make it so it’s WEAK and easily destroyable, then if there’s a mob, ocean biome or boss Klei doesn’t want Walani on Surfboard to exploit.. she would have to have the higher health more resistant boat cookie as intended..

Think of it as a Risk Vs Reward type character- do you sail around alone on a surfboard that has low HP.. or do you build the boat cookie, gather a few friends, and explore the ocean content as it’s currently programmed without Walani?

In conclusion: IF I can play DS Solo adventure mode (with no sailable ocean anywhere) as Walani.. there is literally no reason why she shouldn’t be in a game that over the past couple months has been mostly ocean content updates.

Please give me Walani <3 it would make my day, if not anytime this year.. then someday in the future sometime. Thank You :) 

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

IF I can play DS Solo adventure mode (with no sailable ocean anywhere) as Walani.. there is literally no reason why she shouldn’t be in a game that over the past couple months has been mostly ocean content updates.

except you just explained why they shouldn't add her
her perks aren't good/don't fit in dst example how would her surfboard work with crabking? all his attacks are based around dst boats except freezing he can't directly damage you other than freezing damage
honestly why do so many people want her? shes a basic character used as a beginner shipwrecked character for newer players to get settled in and in any other dlc she is bland and boring

18 minutes ago, Dextops said:

shes a basic character used as a beginner shipwrecked character for newer players to get settled in and in any other dlc she is bland and boring

Disagree, she's got simple perks but I wouldn't call her bland or boring at all, her surfboard is super cool and useful for both speeding through deep ocean in SW and going around lilyponds in Hamlet. The only place it doesn't shine is RoG, but most characters are going to feel kind of boring there in DS, it's the fault of the other worlds being so much more fun, rather than the characters being less fun in this world.

Also I get the feeling a lot of the people who want Walani mostly want her for her personality and concept rather than specific perks, which I really enjoy too.

21 minutes ago, Dextops said:

her perks aren't good/don't fit in dst example how would her surfboard work with crabking? all his attacks are based around dst boats except freezing he can't directly damage you other than freezing damage

I imagine Walani in DST would get some sort of rework just like Warly. My idea for that has always been making her surfboard hold two players but occupy the hand slot, so that she works great for exploring and ferrying, but can't mine or fight or chop or etc anything out at sea. Kind of like the Weregoose, but with a slightly different niche.

3 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

some sort of rework just like Warly.

warly's basics were kept about the same and were added to while walani would need to be changed a lot and again the way you suggested for her surfboard to be changed is kinda boring shipwrecked boats were always boring its just water shoes and the way you suggest it limits it more than before only being able to move which is kinda bad when 2/3 ocean biomes need you to have dst boats to work if you want a sea faring character woodlegs would be a better option since he has interesting mechanics and could bring some cool stuff with him of course his cannons would need to be changed or just removed for something like a craftable melee weapon, but he'd fit a lot more and be more interesting than walani ever could

Every character (well at least every reworked character) has had to fulfill a niche role- playing as that character teaches you how to play the game in a specific way and.. you may eventually branch out and play a different character and carry the knowledge you learned as X character over with you when you choose to play as Y character.

For example- Playing Wigfrid allows you to throw caution to the wind and face tank most battles, However she also ends up being the Most safe character to play as when learning enemy kiting patterns, She also teaches players who may have relied entirely on Juicy Berries to survive, how to kill some things like Beefalo for Meats.

Playing as Wendy will quickly teach you the importance of Flowers & Top Hats..

Playing Warly teaches you not to rely upon 1 meat plus 3 ice for every single crockpot meal.. 

playing Wormwood teaches you how to NOT Rely upon food items like Peroggi for healing.

Playing Willow teaches the player the penalty of being cold, and helps them learn methods of raising and lowering their sanity for different purposes.

My point here is each character fits a very specific niche role- 

Walter teaches you the importance of maintaining your health bar and sanity without relying on clothing items like top hats and Tam’O 

WALANI would let people who may not know how to build a fully functional boat or may simply not have the TIME to build one to get out on the waters and explore the new biomes and content without needing to build a Boat cookie.

Now there are very obvious advantages and disadvantages between using a surfboard and using a platform that’s fully capable of putting an entire Dang base on.. but just encase this information WASNT Obvious to people I will point it out:

You can build Campfires, Crockpots, fridges, lightning rods, fishing supplies, storage boxes etc on a boat cookie platform 

Using the Surfboard would in reality probably be only slightly faster and ALOT more maneuverable then using just a platform with an Oar.. However the surfboard would probably become slower than a fully decked out boat cookie with 2 or more sails.

Also you obviously couldn’t keep a crockpot, campfire, lightning Rod etc (all the vital tools for long term survival) on a surfboard.

What Walani’s inclusion into the game WOULD however do is allow players to more quickly do tasks like gather kelp to help Wurt build tapestry, gather stone fruit at lunar, pick up those annoying messages in a bottle etc…

I saw someone say Walani’s inclusion would BREAK at sea boss fights and this couldn’t be more false if ever I heard it. Literally all Klei has to do is give the boss a new attack that anyone using the actual boat cookie won’t be effected by, but anyone trying to use Walani on a surfboard will be dead (think whipping her out with a tidal wave or something)

Walani’s inclusion would allow players to more quickly and more easily access the new ocean content and just like all above examples teach players what they need to gather/go after/ do while on the ocean when they choose to swap to another character.

I say this because most my knowledge with this game did NOT come from the forum or a Wiki website- The majority of what I know has come from just playing the game as it’s various cast of characters and learning their strengths and weaknesses and then carrying that knowledge over when I play as X different character later.

The TL:DR- Theres room for Walani to fill the Niche role of teaching players the basics of Ocean related content, mobs and things to see and do.

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now there are very obvious advantages and disadvantages between using a surfboard and using a platform that’s fully capable of putting an entire Dang base on.. but just encase this information WASNT Obvious to people I will point it out:

except all other characters go in full depth with that but with walanis surf board it actually limits you more than everything since with the 3-4 water biomes only lunar island is really what you'd want to go to with the surfboard since waterlogged and salt require mining ramming chopping ect to get most bang with your buck
with someone like walter who is good for forcing newer players to kite he punishes you for getting hit but he never really limits kiting since its supposed to be his niche same goes for wigfrid but in the opposite manor she teaches basic combat to newer players and rewards them for fighting and is based around killing for your meal
what does walani do in dst with her surfboard?she limits the player on 66% of the content there

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I saw someone say Walani’s inclusion would BREAK at sea boss fights and this couldn’t be more false if ever I heard it.

Proceeds to argue that, yes, it would indeed break sea boss fights, but Klei should redesign them to account for his beloved Walani's inclusion.

21 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I say this because most my knowledge with this game did NOT come from the forum or a Wiki website-

Most of your knowledge about the game is wrong, Mike.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I can play Hamlet or DS Adventure Mode as Walani and that last one has no sailable water at all. So WHY is she being excluded from DST for as long as she has been?

because making her not playable in dlcs other than sw (with sw enabled) would arguably take extra effort since they'd have to go out of their way to remove her from the list of playable characters specifically for those worlds

dst on the other hand is an entirely different game with entirely different character design philosophies and an entirely different ocean with all the extra time and development resources that would cause when porting walani

1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

because making her not playable in dlcs other than sw (with sw enabled) would arguably take extra effort since they'd have to go out of their way to remove her from the list of playable characters specifically for those worlds

dst on the other hand is an entirely different game with entirely different character design philosophies and an entirely different ocean with all the extra time and development resources that would cause when porting walani

Okay so why did Warly and Wormwood get to be exceptions? Also the whole development time and resources bit only held water when Klei was still a small odds and ends indie studio, but wasnt there a huge announcement sometime back ago about a certain partnership with a certain bigger company to provide them with the development costs and resources they need to provide US with better quality content and updates?

I’m pretty sure there was a huge blown out ordeal all about that awhile back unless I dreamed it all (god please tell me I dreamt it all!) Other than that- I don’t see adding Walani to the game as being this massive task Klei would have to undertake- They literally reprogrammed hounds to swim and certain spiders to walk on Water… pretty sure if they really wanted to- Walani wouldn’t be too hard to add in. 

And after their highly controversial studio announcement I am most certainly expecting some big things on Klei’s behalf sometime soon- Walani coming to DST is very low on the list of them actually.

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay so why did Warly and Wormwood get to be exceptions?

1. pretty sure that they came out before the return of them 

2. Can I please have wheeler, wilbur, wilba, woodlegs and playable wagstaff in DST?

Edit: i realised that could have been taken as mean, so let me refrase what i mean with number two. what I'm saying is walani isnt the only character from solo that people want to be brought to dst, also if all we get is recycled content from solo, dst might just get bland. instead of having existing characters, personally, i think its better to get new ones.

37 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay so why did Warly and Wormwood get to be exceptions?

because they weren't confounded by their dlc's aka they actually worked in dst with minimal change at their release while walani uhhhhhh
would take a lot more work without being worth it

I think Walani could be a really good addition to DST actually, especially with the seafaring aspects being gradually expanded upon! Warly was the better option for a Shipwrecked character in Together at the time, but now that there's an ocean to explore, Walani could definitely have her uses.

Of course Walani is a fan favorite, she has a very endearing personality and arguably the most character out of the six Survivors still banished to single-player, so just having new dialogue for her and interactions between her and the other Survivors would be a Big Heckin' Win. (And maybe an animated short...? please i would cry) Unfortunately that's not enough to justify adding her, but she could definitely add quite a bit in terms of gameplay if she were tweaked a little.

A character who allows for easier sea exploration would be a great for beginners or those who just have trouble with the boating mechanics. (Personally I've never had much luck with boating, but I haven't gotten to try much with Waterlogged yet.) Being able to scout the water from Day 1 would be VERY useful. She'd just need a good disadvantage to keep her coming back to land, which could probably be accomplished by her faster hunger drain.

I see the Surfboard working best for exploration and collecting materials off the ocean, with its durability being too weak and its movement being too slow to be viable for soloing boss fights. It could potentially be a lot more useful in Together than it is in Shipwrecked, given that it won't have a bunch of objectively better nautical options to be inferior to. Plus, it wouldn't be irrelevant even after boats are built, because Walani could use the board to split off from the boat and go her own way, whether the rest of the crew is going elsewhere or if the boat just needs to remain anchored. Maybe she would be mainly useful for beginners, but with the right alterations I think she could be a major asset to any seafaring adventure.

Even apart from proper sea travel, Walani could be useful for fetching kelp and bottles out of the water, as well as crossing gaps in the land to fill the map (which is already Wortox's forte, but Walani could potentially travel farther, albeit slower). Her invulnerability to wetness would also be equally good for Spring as it is for seafaring, especially if it were buffed a little. (If she loses Wetness faster and gains it slower, it could be neat to give her a structure like the Palm Leaf Hut from Shipwrecked which provides total shelter from rain, that way she could quickly shake off the sanity drain from being wet. This would be useful for other characters too, especially WX.) Walani could also be good for the Lunar Island if her Enlightment increases slower, as does her Sanity decrease.

I personally like the idea of Walani having the disadvantage of being slightly slower at performing most actions, as a reflection of her lazy personality. She'd need some more perks to balance that out, though... In general she could use more generic benefits that don't just apply to seafaring (especially anything useful for the caves and ruins where there isn't any water), but I'm not sure what that would be.

Not sure why so many people are so set on Walani not being included in DST. Yeah she would take quite a bit of tweaking, but she has a lot of potential! I'd still like to see Wilba and maybe Wheeler added to DST if we ever do get more single player characters ported, but Walani definitely feels like the best option for contributing something new. If it's gonna be anybody, it should be Walani.

5 minutes ago, Spookyrus said:

A character who allows for easier sea exploration would be a great for beginners or those who just have trouble with the boating mechanics. (Personally I've never had much luck with boating, but I haven't gotten to try much with Waterlogged yet.) Being able to scout the water from Day 1 would be VERY useful. She'd just need a good disadvantage to keep her coming back to land, which could probably be accomplished by her faster hunger drain.

problem is this isn't a good teaching character since its watershoes for dst when they have such a different boating system so it wouldn't teach them much of anything of the actual boating system and if its slower than regular boats and weaker then uhhhhhh
whats the point?
isn't the point of the surfboard for exploration but she can't fight/mine ect on it

I don't understand why people want walani so much (personality doesn't justify it enough) it just doesn't work with dst and of course they could tweak it but then again without changing her a lot theres no point she just seems like wilson with a surfboard i don't want any characters from old dlc but if i had to choose one walani would be close to the bottom of my list if not the bottom i honestly don't see a reason i don't see the potential in her all other dlc characters have so much more potential than walani

44 minutes ago, Dextops said:

problem is this isn't a good teaching character since its watershoes for dst when they have such a different boating system so it wouldn't teach them much of anything of the actual boating system and if its slower than regular boats and weaker then uhhhhhh
whats the point?

That's kind of like saying Maxwell doesn't teach how to handle sanity or Wormwood doesn't teach how to heal. Not every character has to interact with every mechanic the same way. Boating can be a difficult mechanic to grasp, especially for newcomers, and Walani would provide an easier alternative. I think that's plenty reasonable. 

In any case, if she needs more incentive to use the boat over the Surfboard, maybe Walani could have some special boat structures that only she can build. She very probably has history as a pirate, or at least a sailor, so it makes sense that she'd know a thing or two more about boating than the other Survivors. (Of course this is assuming that Woodlegs isn't going to be added, because special boat structures would be a given for him, but... Yeah I doubt he's anybody's first pick.)

I'm not sure what could incentivize using both the surfboard and the boat, but having a reason to switch between them would be ideal. I'd have to think on that.

42 minutes ago, Dextops said:

isn't the point of the surfboard for exploration but she can't fight/mine ect on it

She would be able to fight and use tools on the Surfboard, the same as Shipwrecked. I feel like that's a given. There wouldn't be much of a point otherwise. Fighting on the Surfboard would be more risky than fighting on a boat, though.

25 minutes ago, Dextops said:

I don't understand why people want walani so much (personality doesn't justify it enough) it just doesn't work with dst and of course they could tweak it but then again without changing her a lot theres no point she just seems like wilson with a surfboard i don't want any characters from old dlc but if i had to choose one walani would be close to the bottom of my list if not the bottom i honestly don't see a reason i don't see the potential in her all other dlc characters have so much more potential than walani

Isn't Willow just Wilson with a lighter? Isn't Wigfrid just Wilson but better at fighting? Isn't Wendy just Wilson with a permanent follower? This argument really bothers me. Of course all the characters are similar to Wilson, he's the template. Yeah, it's accurate to describe Walani as "the Wilson of Shipwrecked" because they're both built to be the semi-easy-mode introductory characters for their respective game modes, but Walani in DST wouldn't just be "Wilson with a surfboard." I imagine the main talking point of this thread is intended to be how Walani could potentially work in DST so she's NOT just "Wilson with a surfboard."

And why would there be no point in including her if she's going to tweaked? Pretty much every character has been heavily altered from how they were in single player. Why would Walani be any exception? Why introduce a whole new character centered around seafaring when we already have Walani and Woodlegs?

You also contradicted yourself by saying that Walani wouldn't work because she'd need too many changes, after proposing Woodlegs as a better option and explaining that he'd need a lot of changes.

5 hours ago, Dextops said:

warly's basics were kept about the same and were added to while walani would need to be changed a lot and again the way you suggested for her surfboard to be changed is kinda boring shipwrecked boats were always boring its just water shoes and the way you suggest it limits it more than before only being able to move which is kinda bad when 2/3 ocean biomes need you to have dst boats to work if you want a sea faring character woodlegs would be a better option since he has interesting mechanics and could bring some cool stuff with him of course his cannons would need to be changed or just removed for something like a craftable melee weapon, but he'd fit a lot more and be more interesting than walani ever could

It sounds like you personally just don't like Walani. Which is fine, of course, to each their own, and in any case her gameplay leaves much to be desired. But you're just kind of repeating vaguely that she's "generic" and "boring" without providing much of a real argument for why she shouldn't be included. Not just you either, a few other posts in the thread say similar things.

Even if you don't want some of the existing DLC characters in Together, there are other people who do! We're currently talking in a thread about just that!! There's no need to so vehemently shut down others' opinions on what they'd like to see from the game.

Pssstt they actually reduced Wes’s overall hunger he can have and made enemies more likely to want to attack him first/ they took a character who was intended to be slightly challenging and made him actually fun to play as instead of just being a burden on an entire server of players, his smaller stomach means he doesn’t need to munch down food as often (yes Wolfgang I’m looking you dead in the face for needing that much needed rework) 

The problem is these characters all worked FINE in a single player game, but throw them into Multiplayer and Wendy’s “deals less damage to enemies” downside just becomes a burden on everyone NOT playing as Wendy- Which is exactly why that downside is now nearly non-existent thanks to Abigails petal Bestowment buff.

My point here is simple: Any and ALL single player characters, as well as the existing ones in DST yet to be refreshed will be re-imagined and better tweaked to fit a multiplayer scenario.

Wormwoods inability to heal from food items was made significantly laughable when you can just use compost and the vast amounts of rot left laying around the map.. 

The TL:DR they’re taking characters with gimmicks and mechanics that worked best in a single player game and changing them up to be better suited for Multiplayer.

Instead of having Willow go insane and randomly burn stuff she now instead has the single best insanity fighting off ally in the entire game (Bernie)

I have no idea where people are getting this idea that Walani can’t mine or fight if she was added to DST, she could mine and fight in Shipwrecked- and turning her into the designated Water Taxi for people would be just plain boring… 

Her downside is a fairly simple one: The surfboard is small & therefore weak (would probably have 40hp) unlike the boat cookie which can take a great deal of damage before being sunk- Boat cookie is your go to home- with every structure you could possibly need on it… Surfboard would be only what’s immediately in your hand/inventory.

SO… You can ride a boat equipped with a salt box and fridge and campfire and lightning Rod, OR you can surf around with your food spoiling at a much faster rate, no way of keeping warm, and no way of avoiding stray lightning strikes.

She literally balances herself out- Use a Boat base with higher damage resistance and many helpful structures, or use a weak surfboard to quickly gather/fight.

But remember guys- the bosses at sea target your BOAT not your Character… so Walani and her Surfboard would be insta-Death.

and as far as Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, Wheeler and Wagstaff go… I hope they become playable at some point.. but this thread is exclusively about Why Walani should/should not be added.

2 hours ago, Spookyrus said:

It could potentially be a lot more useful in Together than it is in Shipwrecked, given that it won't have a bunch of objectively better nautical options to be inferior to.

I agree with basically all of the rest of this post, but I do want to nitpick this little bit here and say: it's almost impossible for something to be objectively better than another thing in a sandbox game, it's always just more options. I prefer the surfboard over regular boats when I play SW and continue using it well into the thousands of days, just because the huge amount of speed from waves + lack of needing a sail makes it super super convenient for my playstyle. This isn't me speaking about how Walani would be in DST or anything, just wanted to respond to this bit here that mentions how she is in SW :p

2 hours ago, Spookyrus said:

Why introduce a whole new character centered around seafaring when we already have Walani and Woodlegs?

Because the devs prefer working on new content specifically tailored to dst instead of rehashing/porting old DS content like theyve stated before. And im glad they think that way 

i would much much much rather have a brand new ocean character that is intimately involved in the intricacies of DST sailing and raft mechanics instead of adding an old lackluster character that does the literal complete opposite. 

I also think its being overexaggerated how much walani is liked. I remember widespread dissappointment when she was originally released in shipwrecked 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Her downside is a fairly simple one: The surfboard is small & therefore weak (would probably have 40hp) unlike the boat cookie which can take a great deal of damage before being sunk- Boat cookie is your go to home- with every structure you could possibly need on it… Surfboard would be only what’s immediately in your hand/inventory.

SO… You can ride a boat equipped with a salt box and fridge and campfire and lightning Rod, OR you can surf around with your food spoiling at a much faster rate, no way of keeping warm, and no way of avoiding stray lightning strikes.

She literally balances herself out- Use a Boat base with higher damage resistance and many helpful structures, or use a weak surfboard to quickly gather/fight.

But remember guys- the bosses at sea target your BOAT not your Character… so Walani and her Surfboard would be insta-Death.

Ahh good point! I was so busy thinking about character perks that I forgot to consider the implications not being able to build structures on the board. I suppose it just runs into the problem at that point of the board being totally outclassed by the boat, so there would be no reason to use it. Maybe the board can be upgraded? With either more speed or more durability depending on what you equip it with?? I don't know.

I had the thought of Walani being able to craft buoyant campfires (that wouldn't really be useful for anyone else given that boats can carry firepits) out of maybe driftwood and kelp, so you can't get stuck without a light source, but... at the same time, being trapped at sea without light if you don't collect materials on land first is a very on-brand type of brutal for Don't Starve.

and as far as Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, Wheeler and Wagstaff go… I hope they become playable at some point.. but this thread is exclusively about Why Walani should/should not be added.

It would be really fun to have the whole gang together!! Officially.

I might make my own thread for Wilba. I really like Wilba.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

I agree with basically all of the rest of this post, but I do want to nitpick this little bit here and say: it's almost impossible for something to be objectively better than another thing in a sandbox game, it's always just more options. I prefer the surfboard over regular boats when I play SW and continue using it well into the thousands of days, just because the huge amount of speed from waves + lack of needing a sail makes it super super convenient for my playstyle. This isn't me speaking about how Walani would be in DST or anything, just wanted to respond to this bit here that mentions how she is in SW :p

I suppose I could have worded that better! I meant more that a boat with a sail is WAY faster than the Surfboard, and the Surfboard can't be equipped with boat lanterns and trawls and stuff, so it generally sees much less utility the further you are into the game. I have found quite a bit of use for it in my playthroughs of Shipwrecked, though, mainly because of the ability to pick it up and carry it.

And thank you!!

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

Because the devs prefer working on new content specifically tailored to dst instead of rehashing/porting old DS content like theyve stated before. And im glad they think that way 

Porque no los dos? New content is great and I'm very excited for the new character we're getting next month, and I ADORE Wurt and Wortox, but I also love Shipwrecked and Hamlet and their characters! Not to mention that one of the existing characters gets reworked every few months; incorporating one of the unimplemented single player characters would be similar, I imagine. The devs should of course work on whatever they work on, but it's fun to speculate and dream.

In any case, I'd much rather the new characters bring something entirely new to the table, rather than something we've seen before.

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

I also thinks its being overexaggerated how much walani is liked. I remember widespread dissappointment when she was originally released in shipwrecked :lol:

I've only been here for like a year, admittedly. I've seen a whole lot of fan art and fic with her though, far more than any of the other single-player exclusives. Popular opinion changes over time, and having that extremely endearing personality works wonders.

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

I also think its being overexaggerated how much walani is liked. I remember widespread dissappointment when she was originally released in shipwrecked 

The community was SUPER different at the time, so I don't think that first impression that most people had should be considered more than all the positivity since then.

56 minutes ago, Spookyrus said:

having that extremely endearing personality works wonders.

i get that and i do think she looks cool as a character its also not like id care enough to vehemently protest her inclusion if she were ever to be announced. i just think when it comes to a seafaring character the devs can do a lot better especially considering how enormously they improved seafaring to begin with in DST in comparison to SW, making it much more interesting and compelling. 

Walani seems way too laid back to ever enjoy the back breaking work of controlling a DST raft lol. She wouldnt even have waves to surf with her surfboard.

I get that there are people who like her personality and character design but her kit is incredibly bland and her one defining feature is diametrically opposed to established seafaring mechanics in DST.

But i guess these kinds of threads from ppl who like this or that DS character are unavoidable and will be repeated until the forums shut down :lol:

Guys, we’re kinda forgetting some very important details here: DST is officially a 2017 Sequel (of sorts) to the 2013 game Don’t Starve- ORIGINALLY DST was going to just be a quote multiplayer stand-alone expansion to the single player game.

However.. having the games starting animation pick up where DS Ended officially put it in line to be an actual sequel, and lately Klei has been embracing that thought by adding more fun and exciting content into DST in the form of content & lore updates as well as Character Progression between the two games- Woodie’s Compendium description officially details how when he was alone in DS Solo he saw his wereform as a curse, but with Wickers help, he discovered not only how to manage and control it.. but also how to manipulate that form and two others he did not know he was capable of.

WENDY is the same way, she learned how to communicate with the dead to help assist them so they can in return help her take better care of her ghostly sister.

These characters aren’t just getting reworked- Their learning new knowledge and progressing from the events of DS to DST & so forth..

Therefore in conclusion: Walani, Woodlegs, Wilbur, Wilba, Wheeler, & Wagstaff also have some STORY to tell in this scenario- How did THEY progress?? Did they give up and just die? Did they escape the constant? Are they currently in a Moonstorm up to no good as a freaking Hologram?!

My point here is that adding “New characters” may be fun for YOU but for me as an actual story writer.. not knowing what happened to the rest of the cast between the start of DS and Where we are at now in DST drives me absolutely crazy..

And what’s more important is KLEI knows that, which is exactly why Wagstaff shows up in a Moonstorm, it’s exactly why they explained Warlys arrival into DST as his Ship wrecking against DSTs shores and the other survivors rescuing him.

Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, & Wilba all have their story thats yet to be told.. Did they escape?? Are they still out there SOMEWHERE surviving? Did they give up and Die? Did they strike a deal with Maxwell/Charlie or whoever was in control of the constant to become some evil shadow puppet minion in exchange for their endless suffering to ironically come to an End?

Now let’s take a look at the DST DLC Characters shall we? Wortox & Wurt were “always” in the constant as monster inhabitants, Walter gets pulled in trying to hunt for the Werebeaver Man legend- and this new girl coming next month she has to have her own story of how she ended up in the constant as well.

But there are OTHERS (the original games cast) that have yet to have their story concluded.. Were starting to see that NOW with Wagstaff up to god only knows what, Warly dashing his ship into the shores and I’m just going to head-canon that Wormwod did something stupid like mock the movement of butterflies with his hands and walked right off the edge of hamlet and fell into the world below of DST and BECAUSE he is a plant he didn’t feel anything from the drop.

(Klei kinda just threw wormwood into DST WITHOUT any explanation as to how he got from Hamlet to DST..)

But seriously.. it’s been years Klei, Where’s my girl Walani? 

As much as these forum members seem to HATE her I would laugh if you guys provide lore of her being the only character so far to have actually escaped.. At least THAT would justify her NOT ever being playable.

Instead we get new characters with new stories, I want a clear conclusion to the survivors who are/were ALREADY there- not Walter being nosy and going in someone’s house he shouldn’t have & well OPPS he’s trapped in the Constant now!

Thank You <3

7 hours ago, Spookyrus said:

She would be able to fight and use tools on the Surfboard, the same as Shipwrecked. I feel like that's a given. There wouldn't be much of a point otherwise. Fighting on the Surfboard would be more risky than fighting on a boat, though.

except it wouldn't it would be much easier much much much easier since crab king for an example couldn't really hit you walanis surfboard is super small how would his claws grab with you? his freeze attack wouldn't exist since surf board would be a lot easier to move out of the way even then only crab king hits your boat but all his attacks are designed for cookie boats

7 hours ago, Spookyrus said:

Isn't Willow just Wilson with a lighter? Isn't Wigfrid just Wilson but better at fighting? Isn't Wendy just Wilson with a permanent follower? This argument really bothers me. Of course all the characters are similar to Wilson, he's the template. Yeah, it's accurate to describe Walani as "the Wilson of Shipwrecked" because they're both built to be the semi-easy-mode introductory characters for their respective game modes, but Walani in DST wouldn't just be "Wilson with a surfboard." I imagine the main talking point of this thread is intended to be how Walani could potentially work in DST so she's NOT just "Wilson with a surfboard."

willow has fire resistance and a big ass bear who fights nightmare creatures and gains sanity from fire wigfrid is a strict carnivore ("strict") who has a life leech ability craftable helms and spears and a lot of  songs. While i do find wendy boring she actually has stuff to her she has a potions she can use to better her sister. What is walani? does she have an interesting mechanic? does she have an item that won't be outclassed in 3 seconds? sure you could change her but all discussion going on so far mostly just focuses nerfing her surfboard if they are able to make her a good an interesting character then great ill take back all my words but i don't see why walani should be added above the rest imo i don't want any dlc characters none of them really fit (except wheeler and maybe woodlegs if they were added i wouldn't mind) 

8 hours ago, Spookyrus said:

You also contradicted yourself by saying that Walani wouldn't work because she'd need too many changes, after proposing Woodlegs as a better option and explaining that he'd need a lot of changes.

because hes be easier to change and is actually interesting who relies on boating i said he'd be a better option if you wanted a sea faring character

8 hours ago, Spookyrus said:

It sounds like you personally just don't like Walani. Which is fine, of course, to each their own, and in any case her gameplay leaves much to be desired. But you're just kind of repeating vaguely that she's "generic" and "boring" without providing much of a real argument for why she shouldn't be included. Not just you either, a few other posts in the thread say similar things.

Even if you don't want some of the existing DLC characters in Together, there are other people who do! We're currently talking in a thread about just that!! There's no need to so vehemently shut down others' opinions on what they'd like to see from the game.

if you want walani thats ok like you said to each their own but i don't see the appeal of walani i see shes meant as a beginner for walani i think there could be better options. I also think the ways that surfboard has been suggested don't make them more appealing to me there are just some things that don't work with ex the waterlogged biome is very designed for regular boats you ram your boat into the great tree i don't see a surfboard doing that picking figs once you do waterspiders go onto your boat and with that space you can kill and kite them i don't see six of  those spiders cramped into your surfboard and then grass gators which no way these'd fit on the surfboard so i don't see how'd it work. It just doesn't seem like it could work and of course you could say "just rework her" ok yeah true but i don't see how you could rework her with making her an entirely new character if you could rework her without removing her surfboard or nerfing it to high hell then i'd love to see it and if its good i might change my opinion

if i sound sour its because im sick my throat is killing me and the only thing i wish for is death

Instead we get new characters with new stories, I want a clear conclusion to the survivors who are/were ALREADY there- not Walter being nosy and going in someone’s house he shouldn’t have & well OPPS he’s trapped in the Constant now!

incredible stories such as
pirate stereotype
surfer chick
MONKE
pompous prick of a pig who could have cool interactions with wurt which i'd love but gameplay wise eh
and then best girl who could actually be cool

Archived