What do you think about Pick and Swap characters?

1 hour ago, Keller Max said:

I don't need to setup 10 different farms to not die of hunger because of lack of variety. He is too team reliant i think. He is giving too much and doesn't take much for himself. I want him to have more selfish upsides.

Well, I'm a solo player only, and I don't even use farms that often, but I don't have a problem with that. In order for Warly not to be capricious, it is enough to alternate only 3-4 dishes with high nutrition, and the game has enough simple recipes with +75 hunger and above, and most of them are meat, so they don't depend on farms. There may be a little less food for sanity, but there are enough ways to replenish it in the game. And even if you repeat the same dishes, the second meal of the same food will give 90%, and the third - 80%. in the case of a leafy jelly pie with +50 sanity, three portions will give you 135 sanity, which is only 15 points less than without his penalty. (And the same goes for hunger and health, so eating three same meals at a time is really not a bad option.)

A more selfish and personal advantage? Okay, but which one? His main advantages are food and spices with special effects, but if they didn't work on anyone but him, many would consider it unfair. What would you suggest without touching what is there now? I'm really curious.

39 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Healing Salves, Honey Poultice, Jellybeans, Bat Bat.

This. One of my slots in the edge is always 40 honey poultice. This will last you for a lifetime and it will not rot. One slot, potentially 1200 health healing points. Who will lose so much at a time that it's not enough? You're not going to attack a boss without armor, are you?

23 minutes ago, Keller Max said:

Sorry. I meant with food. Warly is all food focused character so he should benefit atleast the same as other characters with it.

Again, why is this so important? Why is it so crucial to heal from food? Yes, this is an option, but it's not mandatory. It didn't ruin the game for me that I don't use it. So why does it ruin it for you? I'm sorry, but I'm honestly trying to understand. 

The features of Warly encourage you to learn different recipes instead of eating only meatballs all your life, and faster hunger forces you to cook more often. If you remove this, what is the difference between him and the other characters? You're right that Warly is a food focused, but that's the very reason why all of his shortcomings are related to food as well. He shouldn't get extra benefits from it, he should cook more of it and differently, that's the whole point. Because if he cooked a lot of nice healthy food, and then could easily use all of it, then why this game still called "Don't Starve"? Its name is already called into question by many, but you are only suggesting to aggravate it.

14 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I already said why previously

That a very weak argument.

Lets say we increase Walter's max hunger to 150, so he will be able to fully benefit from meaty stews. "Oh ****. It will ruin the uniqueness. His stomach shouldn't be as big as Wilson's because Walter is a teen."

As i said before, his disadvantage of not eating non crock pot is already a kinda big disadvantage. Then we have his FOOD MEMORY we must remember, then we have +20% faster hunger drain. Then we have a healing problem because of FOOD MEMORY. If you enjoy dealing with his quirks, its ok, Because im not. His downsides are a little bit too much for me. We already have a challenge character and its Wes.

God. I must remind myself that DS Warly exist. Poor thing.

Just now, Keller Max said:

That a very weak argument.

Lets say we increase Walter's max hunger to 150, so he will be able to fully benefit from meaty stews. "Oh ****. It will ruin the uniqueness. His stomach shouldn't be as big as Wilson's because Walter is a teen."

As i said before, his disadvantage of not eating non crock pot is already a kinda big disadvantage. Then we have his FOOD MEMORY we must remember, then we have +20% faster hunger drain. Then we have a healing problem because of FOOD MEMORY. If you enjoy dealing with his quirks, its ok, Because im not. His downsides are a little bit too much for me. We already have a challenge character and its Wes.

If is too much for you dont play him. Simple as that.

I dont play many characters because i dont like them but you cant ask for changes for a personal problem when others enjoy it

If we have a challenge character doesnt mean that we cant have another difficult characters, not every character should ne wolf or wendy

Dont compare the walter's stomach to having to think more than 1 dish (wow is a chef and you have to cook variety instead of spaming 1 dish) because being unable to spam cheap food healings and sanity makes him very interesting

He has many upsides (gathering speed, damage, increased healing on foods, temperature and wetness protection food, light dish, sanity-health swap dish for character combos..) that can be shared so is more than balanced. You dont need to heal that much when you have ×1.7? (Cant remember) to ×3 damage. Also his salt powder increase the healing from food so a surf n turf could heal you like 90hp and getting +40 salt isnt difficult 

11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

He has many upsides (gathering speed, damage, increased healing on foods, temperature and wetness protection food, light dish, sanity-health swap dish for character combos..) that can be shared so is more than balanced. You dont need to heal that much when you have ×1.7? (Cant remember) to ×3 damage. Also his salt powder increase the healing from food so a surf n turf could heal you like 90hp and getting +40 salt isnt difficult 

We are back at the beginning, where Warly is a pick and swap character, having absolutely no character specific upsides outside of his special dishes that other characters can use to have same benefit or even better.

Good example is Wigfrid: All can benefit from her helmets and songs, While she have bonus damage, damage reduction, lifesteal, but can't eat Veggies as a downside. Fair enough.

10 minutes ago, Keller Max said:

We are back at the beginning, where Warly is a pick and swap character, having absolutely no character specific upsides outside of his special dishes that other characters can use to have same benefit or even better.

Removing his very good downside wont change this. Wolfgang will keep doing x6 damage so people who wants a x6 damage will still using celestial portal (which idk why is so important to take into acount but whatever...)

Having x3 damage means he doesnt need healing so i dont understand your complains

12 minutes ago, Keller Max said:

Good example is Wigfrid: All can benefit from her helmets and songs, While she have bonus damage, damage reduction, lifesteal, but can't eat Veggies as a downside. Fair enough

Her downside is almost nothing. Is a weak downside taking in count that meat based foods are the best foods in general terms and she has SO MANY upsides. +25 armor and damage, sanity and hp restoration, cheap and good weapon and helmet, aoe life and sanity leech, +25% weapon durability, taun and fear in boss fights.. 

Not every character should be as strong as wigfrid. Some character shouldnt make the game that easy like her

10 minutes ago, Keller Max said:

Then we have a healing problem because of FOOD MEMORY. If you enjoy dealing with his quirks, its ok, Because im not. His downsides are a little bit too much for me. We already have a challenge character and its Wes.

look at it this way. playing solo (no character swap) he has highest dps, biggest hunger and can go anywhere while having much better benefits from food than raw (portable cookpot). playing with character swap (which is a form of multiplayer enviroment) still makes him really good because he can boost other characters with really good recepies also making him good. also, what you fail to realize is that his downside is mostly irrelevant because he can survive off of meat stew, meat ball and a fist full of jam/basically any other recipe. i wont force you to play him, but i am saying you are saying he's bad with no real evidence. his heal problem isnt really a thing either because why do you need more than 1 or 2 healers? its not like im being stabbed 37 times in the chest. i dont even need 1 healer. i almost never get hit anyways.

14 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Removing his very good downside wont change this. Wolfgang will keep doing x6 damage so people who wants a x6 damage will still using celestial portal (which idk why is so important to take into acount but whatever...)

Having x3 damage means he doesnt need healing so i dont understand your complains

Wolfgang is a more of an exception. Extremely boring, selfish character, and also very strong. I refuse to ever pick this character, until his rework.

Warly is a complete opposite. All for the team, nothing for himself. I want him to be changed a little, so i will never look at the celestial portal after having a huge pile of his buff dishes in bundling wraps.

Thank you guys for conversation, but i think it should stop there. We are going nowhere, me being stubborn, and maybe some other guys being stubborn too. It just creates an infinite loop of pointless and silly arguments, from each side. I'm talking about Warly in general. Lets just enjoy what we have and hope for the best out of devs to make characters and global mechanics more interesting.

Archived