Warly Food Production Plan

As I'm happily progressing in my Warly solo longterm world, I'm thinking of mass producing and bundling efficient crock pot dishes, while also getting the farm based spices.

Now QuartzBeam's generously detailed guide here https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/123986-the-starvers-guide-to-self-feeding-farms/ provides some nice farming layouts that can be exploited for maximum yields per time spent farming.

For Warly I'm thinking two 4x4 farm plots to mass produce the following crops:

EDIT: here I meant to say two 2x2 plots, with 36 plants each.

* One 1:1:1 layout with garlic, onion and pepper.
* One 2:1 layout with toma roots and dragon fruit.
* All during Summer right after killing Antlion.

This yields following products:

* Moqueca from toma roots and onions with the addition of fish.
* Peppers and garlic can be grinded into spices.
* Dragon pie from dragon fruit with cheap fillers such as sticks or berries.
* Vegetable Stinger to dump the rest of the toma roots into something useful for the occasional boss fight.

Additional non-farming foods:

* Volt Goat Chaud Froid (spiced) for some of the harder challenges.
* Meat and monster meat that drop from combat can be converted into pierogi and honey ham.

I assume this plan will cover hunger fully during a year without having to go out of my way to gather supplementary foods. Also the high sanity and health gain from these dishes will very likely be sufficient for combat as well, especially since I've trained an ornary beefalo, which can be used effectively for many of the bosses and challenges except a few.

Now to some questions:

* Can I buff my beefalo with spices or even with the Volt Goat Chaud Froid?
* Do you think this plan will yield enough food, too much or too little?
* Does anyone have experience to heal a beefalo mid fight with high health dishes (for example dragon pie)? I assume it's useful for Dragonfly but not so useful for many of the other bosses.
* What is your general food plan in long term worlds (at least 1-2 years plus and planning for indefinite playtime)

1 hour ago, clickrush said:

Can I buff my beefalo with spices or even with the Volt Goat Chaud Froid?

Unfortunately no, spices have no effect on Beefalo(or any other followers), and Beefalo can't eat Volt Goat Chaud Froid at all.

Just curious, what ingredients do you plan on using for Moqueca? I personally suggest using a barnacle and honey along with the tomato and onion, since barnacles count as fish, and barnacles and honey are very mass-produceable ingredients along with tomato and onions, a good Sea Weed farm(20+ Sea Weeds) can net up to 60+ barnacles every 10-20ish days or so, and honey obviously can be produced very quickly with six honey per bee box at max.

* Can I buff my beefalo with spices or even with the Volt Goat Chaud Froid?

Yes, so long as you eat them yourself.

Does anyone have experience to heal a beefalo mid fight with high health dishes (for example dragon pie)? I assume it's useful for Dragonfly but not so useful for many of the other bosses.

In my experience it's much better to use other foods with less nutritional value, such as roasted potatoes or blue mushrooms. Dragonpie has a long chewing animation also. I use dragon pies only to recover the beef after fights.

2 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Unfortunately no, spices have no effect on Beefalo(or any other followers), and Beefalo can't eat Volt Goat Chaud Froid at all.

If you are riding the beefalo, the effects of the buffs you ate pass on to the beefalo since the game considers you to be part of the beefalo. This also includes armor from the garlic spice.
So eating spicy chaud froid + garlic meatballs then riding will make the beefalo tankier and stronger

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

If you are riding the beefalo, the effects of the buffs you ate passon to the beefalo. this includes armor from the garlic spice.

I stand corrected then! That makes a lot of sense, thanks for letting me know!

9 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I stand corrected then! That makes a lot of sense, thanks for letting me know!

Warly has probably the strongest late game with a beefalo, which is amazing. Unfortunately takes quite a bunch of effort and time to get there, but it sure is fun.

One 2:1 layout with toma roots and dragon fruit.

I've just realized you will probably be having a bunch of toma root, so you can use roasted toma root to heal the beefalo instead, and Dragonpies for after fight healing.

What is your general food plan in long term worlds (at least 1-2 years plus and planning for indefinite playtime)

Don't forget to get kelp and Stone Fruits, it's literally free filler all year long that grows really fast. And if you are struggling at some point you can just shove 5-6 meatballs with it and keep going for at least 2 days.

11 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Just curious, what ingredients do you plan on using for Moqueca? I personally suggest using a barnacle and honey along with the tomato and onion, since barnacles count as fish, and barnacles and honey are very mass-produceable ingredients along with tomato and onions, a good Sea Weed farm(20+ Sea Weeds) can net up to 60+ barnacles every 10-20ish days or so, and honey obviously can be produced very quickly with six honey per bee box at max.

I wonder if barnacles are the way to go. Haven't tried that yet. I thought of simply fishing in the oasis (since I plan to produce the dishes in summer and bundling them) for a while, since that yields additional gold as well.

Although on thinking about it it might bee too time consuming? The benefit would be that I'm super close to my farm this way but fishing a full stack might be too much. Maybe a hybrid approach would be good, first get some fishes from the ocean and then while farming fish in the oasis between tending and watering. I have to try it out.

14 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Yes, so long as you eat them yourself.

In my experience it's much better to use other foods with less nutritional value, such as roasted potatoes or blue mushrooms. Dragonpie has a long chewing animation also. I use dragon pies only to recover the beef after fights.

If you are riding the beefalo, the effects of the buffs you ate pass on to the beefalo since the game considers you to be part of the beefalo. This also includes armor from the garlic spice.
So eating spicy chaud froid + garlic meatballs then riding will make the beefalo tankier and stronger

That's super helpful, thank you.

This makes beefalo even more powerful on Warly. I'm super glad that I started taming one on day 7 now. Unfortunately I didn't manage to fully tame it for deerclops, I still used the untamed one for the fight but it took me quite a long time, went fully insane and then a hound wave came, so it was a close call. But it was the second or third time that I even attempted taming one so a more experienced or prepared player should manage it before deerclops. But all in all I'm very happy with my Beefany and now that I know that these buffs work even moreso!

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Warly has probably the strongest late game with a beefalo, which is amazing. Unfortunately takes quite a bunch of effort and time to get there, but it sure is fun.

I've just realized you will probably be having a bunch of toma root, so you can use roasted toma root to heal the beefalo instead, and Dragonpies for after fight healing.

Don't forget to get kelp and Stone Fruits, it's literally free filler all year long that grows really fast. And if you are struggling at some point you can just shove 5-6 meatballs with it and keep going for at least 2 days.

As for toma roots, I planned on converting them to vegetable stingers for additional sanity. I'm thinking fully clearing ruins and then fighting fuelweaver here and maybe they come in handy before/after other bosses. Maybe ill just not use Beefany for fights where I can't reliably heal her or even have to heal her, which is fine. Shes already a powerhouse for hounds, clearing spiders, tentacles, killer bees and the seasonal bosses. And for dragonfly it shouldn't be an issue to heal her in between lavae summons.

As for stone fruits and kelp: I'm already swimming in filler due to having a berry bush farm and basing in the oasis. Actually overproducing rot right now and started to less frequently pick the berries and cacti.

2 hours ago, clickrush said:

For Warly I'm thinking two 4x4 farm plots

Unless you are planning to eat moqueca + dragonpie for hunger during all season and situations, that will be too much. And even if you are planning to eat that combo so often, if I understand correctly your plan, your farms will be empty during 3+ seasons, which is enough for weeds to appear, spread and consume all nutrients (you need to have some amount of them enough for 1 growth stage of all plants growing that farm plot tile), so the more farm plot tiles you have, the more time and resources for shovels/torches/fertilizers you need to spend. On the other hand, I use moqueca + dragonpie combo only as my ruins clearing food (I have 1 2*2 farm plot), so keep in mind that you might need more than that. Also 4*4 plot is good choice, but keep in mind that friendly fruit fly won't be able to talk to all plants in time, so I recommend one-man-band - good cheap alternative (since it's range is 3, it's enough to tend to all plants, even the ones in the corners, if you are standing in the middle of 4*4 plot). Another reason to not do bigger than 4*4 farm plots is that as solo player you will have just enough time to first plant all seeds, then water and after that wear one-man-band for 1 time, but 5*5 will require you to stop in the middle of planting, water and tend, then continue to plant, which in my opinion is inconvenient.

Meat and monster meat that drop from combat can be converted into pierogi and honey ham

Consider meaty stew + honey ham for everyday hunger needs from all that meat, especially since over time you will have plenty of fleshy bulbs and therefore leafy meat. Keep in mind that now lureplants can't be planted as closely, so on 1 boat you can plant up to 13 and access all of them without problems. Having pierogi in everyday bundle just in case won't hurt though.

Also keep in mind that the more you bundle-unbundle stuff, the less fresh food inside will be, so consider either dishes with higher spoil time, or take more from bundle each time to open bundle less frequently. Also for that reason I recommend to keep in separate bundles combos for everyday eating, for situations when you want to restore a lot of health/sanity over relatively short period of time (ruins clearing, cave building if you prefer head light to tam'o shanter), food buffs (volt goat jelly, fish cordon bleu, glowberry mousse, temperature managment dishes, spiced dishes).

Can I buff my beefalo with spices or even with the Volt Goat Chaud Froid?

Yes for sure for Volt Goat Chaud Froid (you should eat it yourself, buff transfers to beefalo), for spices - no, although I'm less certain about them.

Does anyone have experience to heal a beefalo mid fight with high health dishes (for example dragon pie)?

The more hunger dish has, the longer chewing animation is, so consider trail mix or flower salad for beefalo healing, although blue caps are also good enough in a lot of cases. But in general practice kiting more, with glossammer saddle you usually can do as much hits as player on foot would be able to despite longer beefalo attack animation, in some cases it might be preferable to war saddle (and definitely use regular of glossammer for kiting tier 3 shadow rook, if you are fighting shadow pieces in that order). For fight where you will be tanking a lot, use peppered volt goat jelly and do them on foot (they will be 3 or 1.8 times shorter than usual so you shouldn't have healing problems, I fully tank Fuelweaver with food buffs, and since I'm starting at full health, I don't need healing at all in that fight; for Bee Queen I'm using panflute in the second stage, often even in second, third and forth stages), also I recommend marble suit since Warly can mine 2 times faster with honey crystals, so marble farming is less time-consuming.

What is your general food plan in long term worlds (at least 1-2 years plus and planning for indefinite playtime)

Pig oven which I never use since I kill moose/goose and other giants regularly, as well as volt goats (even from auto-farm I can usually pick stale-spoiled meat and dry it). For fish cordon bleu I'm using eels (during calm/warn phases there are no distracting creatures, such as frogs and mosquitoes, toadstool spawners are even safer, and eel has 1 fish value, unlike 0.5 for freshwater fish and 0.25 for barnacles, so 1 eel is enough for 1 dish), frog rain is my source of frog legs (I'm running towards the closest moose/goose nest during it to gain maximum profit). Meaty stew + honey ham for everyday eating (bundle 1), moqueca + dragonpie (bundle 2), volt goat jelly (with chili flakes) + fish cordon bleu + glow berry mousse + hot dragon chili salad (bundle 3). Sweet spice is good for mining ruins statues, as well as garlic spice is useful in that area, so I combine them with any other dish I'm planning to use in that area, especially since honey is really cheap, and you can grow garlic in all seasons (even without self-sustaining combo: planting it in any season and tending to it 1 time will guarantee you plant and 1 seed).

Edit: roasted toma roots for beefalo are also quite good, forgot about that. 4 meatball eaten one right after another is enough to fill you for more than 2 days, just eat next 4 meatballs when you will starve again. For that reason I built birdcage on my boat for sailing, so whenever I have excess of monster meat from cookie cutters and don't feel like saving it for meaty stew/honey ham, I can convert part of it into eggs and cook meatballs, or cook bacon and eggs if I have barnacles (1 mm + 1 barnacle + 2 eggs, same strategy as with meatballs). Also tip: raw fish when dried (takes only 1 day) gives jerky, so you can go to sea without bundled food and eat meaty stew (2 each time), meatballs (4) or bacon and eggs (3) for hunger.

3 hours ago, clickrush said:

* Do you think this plan will yield enough food, too much or too little?

too much. Comically to much.

In vanilla DST, All Warly's diet demands is that you restore 180 food every 2 days. Notice anything about that number? That's right, Warly's stomach can hold 250 food. This means that all you need to stay fed is either 3 75 hunger foods, or 1 105 hunger food and 1 75 hunger food. Meaty stew+bacon and eggs/honey ham is more than enough to keep Warly fed at all times.

As such, I recommend using your farms to focus on Spices, healing and Sanity rather than food.

>Tomatoes and Peppers/Dragonfruit combo at a 2/1 ratio. Tomatoes are useful for veggie stingers and salsa fresca; both of which restore 33 san. Peppers are obviously useful for chilli powder, and Dragon pie is Dragon pie.

>Onions are also used for Salsa. But they're also used for moqueca, which I suspect to be one of the strongest dishes outside of Mandrake soup; restoring large amount of hunger, sanity, *and* health.

> I also reccomend setting up a barnacle farm. 1 sea weed can produce 3 barnacles at a time, and you only need 1 barnacle for Moqueca.

About long-term food production... Hah, I don't know how to answer this, because in all my solo worlds after the first year, I face the same problem. Too much food! So much that I can't eat it alone! And this was a problem even before the new farms were added to the game, and even before the bee wrapper appeared in the game. Before that, the food just rotted. Now I can save it, but this has only resulted in me having two chests full of food bags that I'm trying to spend somehow, even though I don't even care about hunting and getting food specifically.

One of the reasons for this accumulation is that I have frog rains almost every year. And almost every year I escape from them by aggro frogs on one or even two moose-goose nests. Which leads to stacks of frog legs, turkey legs, and meat, and more feathers than I ever needed(I have around 18 stacks of them now, I guess?). The second constant inflow is hounds, whose meat can be translated into regular meat through pigs(which reduces the amount of meat by half, and there is still too much of it, now I just run away the dogs by hiding in caves). Third inflow - since I fight bosses alone, I prefer to stock up on darts en masse, which means that every winter I have an extra couple of stacks of morsels. Add honey, bird cage, raft with leafy meat, berries and stone fruits to the pile, of which the last two I don't even use now.

Because of all of this, the farms are completely additional, I grew them only to get and weigh giant crops, and in the process I got a stack of each crop, with which I don't know what to do now. Vegetables and fruits can't be dried, so they spoil too quickly for me - by the way, keep this in mind, if you want to grow a lot of plants at one time and then use them all year, dragon fruit and tomatoes both spoil VERY quickly compared to other plants. If you want to use mostly them, then you will have to take care of getting a bee wrapper and, in order to save and use them little by little, constantly spend the grass to wrap and unwrap them. This is exactly what I personally don't want to do, so I don't use farms that often. 

To be honest, I never tried to start the game with farms, because at the time of the update I already had a developed world, but from experience, how quickly crops grow in the right season, if you have time to sit on the base for a couple of days, even two beds can easily feed you. If there is an open cave nearby, you can get guano every day, and compost is easily made from twigs and rot. The supergrowth formula can only be obtained after going out to sea, but the most commonly used plants actually don't require this type of fertilizer, so you don't have to worry too much about it. By the way, on the moon island you can get a lot of pieces of bones, which together with onions becomes a very easy meal. 

Warly may have problems with diversity in the early stages of the game, but once you set up your base and take care of the basic elements - bees, bird, pigs, some berries, it really stops being a problem. You can alternate recipes such as meatballs, meaty stew, bacon and eggs and honey ham, and this will already be enough to keep the dishes from getting bored. The farm and his personal dishes diversify it even more, and that's not to mention the belt of hunger, which can be worn anytime you don't need seasonal clothing and not going to fight.

Just now, Theukon-dos said:

too much. Comically to much.

In vanilla DST, All Warly's diet demands is that you restore 180 food every 2 days. Notice anything about that number? That's right, Warly's stomach can hold 250 food. This means that all you need to stay fed is either 3 75 hunger foods, or 1 105 hunger food and 1 75 hunger food. Meaty stew+bacon and eggs/honey ham is more than enough to keep Warly fed at all times.

As such, I recommend using your farms to focus on Spices, healing and Sanity rather than food.

>Tomatoes and Peppers/Dragonfruit combo at a 2/1 ratio. Tomatoes are useful for veggie stingers and salsa fresca; both of which restore 33 san. Peppers are obviously useful for chilli powder, and Dragon pie is Dragon pie.

>Onions are also used for Salsa. But they're also used for moqueca, which I suspect to be one of the strongest dishes outside of Mandrake soup; restoring large amount of hunger, sanity, *and* health.

>

Keep in mind I only plan to farm for just enough food for a year. Meaning the plots will be barren for the rest. Are you saying that it’s too much after just one round? I assumed that one or two yields cover a year.

2 minutes ago, clickrush said:

Keep in mind I only plan to farm for just enough food for a year. Meaning the plots will be barren for the rest. Are you saying that it’s too much after just one round? I assumed that one or two yields cover a year.

If you're trying to mass-produce for a whole year. Then you're plan might work? Your biggest hurdle will be spoilage, but if you can get 16 farm plots filled up and get all of them giant. Then yeah, you'll probably have enough food for a year after only 1-2 harvests.

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

This also includes armor from the garlic spice.

I am fairly certain that the garlic buff does not apply to the beefalo, only to Warly and would limit burn and projectile damage to Warly.  The spicy volt goat jelly does transfer to the beefalo though.  

3 hours ago, clickrush said:

Does anyone have experience to heal a beefalo mid fight with high health dishes (for example dragon pie)? I assume it's useful for Dragonfly but not so useful for many of the other bosses.

Dragon pie has a high hunger value which means the eating animation is longer.  If you need to heal faster, then blue caps or possibly flower salad or trail mix might work well.  Personally I haven't fought Dfly, Bee Queen or FW on a beef, nervous that they would kill my beefalo and I can manage them fine on foot.  Other bosses I haven't found that I typically need healing because the base health is just so high.

22 minutes ago, clickrush said:

I assumed that one or two yields cover a year.

You really don't take into account the time of rotting. Meat can be stored for a long time, for two seasons, if it's dry and stored in the ice box, and even longer if it's stored raw in a salt box before that. Honey can be stored in the ice box for a year. But dragon fruit and tomatoes are both live for only six days. You can extend this time by cooking them or growing giant crops and leaving them in the garden for five days before harvesting(giant crops spoil for six days too, but breaking them will give you a fresh crops, also, don't rip them off, because then they will be considered lying on the ground and spoil twice as fast). But it's still not comparable. Without a victory over the queen bee or a trip for salt, which is located in the sea and which is easy to get only for Wendy, the vegetables grown in one season will be enough at best for the same season. And don't forget that in the summer, when you are going to grow them, everything rots even faster. Basing your survival on just "I'm going to be seriously concerned about farms for only one season, and I'll have enough food for next year" is not the best strategy. You will have to grow something in each of the seasons to keep food fresh. I think this is a constant part of the game when playing for Wurt, but for Warly vegetarianism will only be a limitation.

45 minutes ago, Lokena said:

You really don't take into account the time of rotting. Meat can be stored for a long time, for two seasons, if it's dry and stored in the ice box, and even longer if it's stored raw in a salt box before that. Honey can be stored in the ice box for a year. But dragon fruit and tomatoes are both live for only six days. You can extend this time by cooking them or growing giant crops and leaving them in the garden for five days before harvesting(giant crops spoil for six days too, but breaking them will give you a fresh crops, also, don't rip them off, because then they will be considered lying on the ground and spoil twice as fast). But it's still not comparable. Without a victory over the queen bee or a trip for salt, which is located in the sea and which is easy to get only for Wendy, the vegetables grown in one season will be enough at best for the same season. And don't forget that in the summer, when you are going to grow them, everything rots even faster. Basing your survival on just "I'm going to be seriously concerned about farms for only one season, and I'll have enough food for next year" is not the best strategy. You will have to grow something in each of the seasons to keep food fresh. I think this is a constant part of the game when playing for Wurt, but for Warly vegetarianism will only be a limitation.

No I plan to cook the food right after harvest and then bundling it.

Just did the math. A single, worst case yield for giant crops in this particular setup results in 24 Moqueca, 24 Dragonpie and 12 Veggie Stingers with the external additions of ice (only 12) cheap filler and fish (24). The Veggie Stinger is meant for very tough sanity drain fights and simply to dump toma roots into something valuable for warly. But the other 48 dishes make for 4500 hunger points, which is 50 days worth of hunger for the worst case giant crop yield. Adding occasional meat dishes from combating hounds, bosses and so on such as honey ham, pierogi and meaty stew should cover the rest of the 20 days pretty easily.

Actually I'm very surprised that it just will be a single yield. I assumed it will be two yields for sure. And if we calculate the average case its going to be even more days worth of high value dishes as each crop has a 75% chance of producing an additional fruit/veggie, which would result in *almost* 70 days worth of hunger.

I'll probably just do two yields and use these foods liberally to restore health and sanity during boss fights (I tend to take significant damage on several fights).

30 minutes ago, clickrush said:

No I plan to cook the food right after harvest and then bundling it.

Hmm, I didn't consider the cooking option... I only do this with an electric dish or for ruins. Then it may work, but cooked food also spoils quickly, and storing it all in one package, which needs to be constantly wrapped and unwrapped, is still not very convenient. The biggest thing that bothers me in this regard - when you open the wrapper with food, this food falls to the ground for a short time. If you have a large stack of food in one package and constantly take out a couple of dishes, this short time will be enough for the food, especially responsible for sanity and quickly perishable, to become stale, which will devalue it. I've had this happen with ice cream and bananas. And if you store food for such a period as a year, it should definitely be stored in several separate packages and each of these packages should be treated as rarely as possible. Otherwise, you can face the fact that all these huge efforts will be lost. But other than that, everything should be fine. And I'm sure there will be enough food, because even without taking into account the harvest, some food, mostly meat, is accumulated passively during the game, so even if you don't have enough of this pre-prepared food from the farms, you will always have additional ingredients for something else, if you don't intentionally ignore them.

A 2x2 1:1:1 plot and a 2x2 2:1 plot will yield 33 garlic, pepper, onion, and, dragonfruit along with 66 tomatoes (on average) after a single harvest (and all are giant). In a whole year of DST (assuming 72 days), you need 6480 hunger to sustain yourself. 33 Dragon pies will give you 2475 and 33 moqueca will give you 3712.5 for a total of 6187.5 hunger. The remaining 292.5 hunger can be accomplished with as little as 5 meatballs or 2 meaty stews.

Also, just for fun I did the math on the 2 4x4 plots (that you're not doing)
One harvest will give 3*4*4*2.75*(112.5+75) = 24,750 hunger. That's enough for 5 Warlies for a year. Or enough to keep Wolfgang mighty for 110 days.

If you're going to farm healing food for your beefalo go with tomatoes - they last pretty long when cooked, and heal a beefalo for 80 hp each. 10 of them will heal your beef from 200 back to full, meaning you'll have about 4 heals per stack of tomatoes.

Archived